0 comments

Christmas Romance

There he stands behind the table in his booth at the town’s annual holiday festival.  Displayed in front of him are his bakery’s greatest accomplishments - cinnamon rolls, over-sized muffins, cookies, and several confections created just for the season. They look absolutely decadent.

And so does the man who created them.  I know I shouldn’t even be interested in that man, much less attracted to him. But the first day I laid eyes on Shane, my heart knew he was The One.  My thoughts and dreams had been filled with a mystery man I’d seen only briefly through a window a year ago.  I wondered at times if he was actually real or if my overactive imagination had made him up.

The new owner of Sugar Dreams was definitely real.  But he would forever have to remain a man of my dreams.  I am the head baker at Spice is Nice, my mother’s bakery and Sugar Dreams’ biggest competitor in Pine Ridge.  My mother’s head would explode if she thought I was consorting with the enemy.

I’ve crossed paths with the man at several town functions and I’ve watched him.  He’s great with the public, and my heart melts a little each time he smiles big enough to reveal the dimples in his cheeks.  I’ve denied the feelings for months now, but I’m pretty sure I’m in love with that man.  Or, I could be if I ever got the courage to speak to him.  

He is SO out of my league, nothing short of perfect.  His chestnut hair is currently swept up into a functional ponytail, his chiseled features accentuated by the stubble growing there.  And those eyes … that suddenly turn in my direction.

Dang!  I just got caught staring.  He grins slightly before he turns his full smile down at the four-year-old girl waiting for a cookie.  That smile makes his ice-blue eyes twinkle.  He truly enjoys what he does.

“Go talk to him, chicken.” I jump as my best friend speaks directly into my ear. “You know you want to.”

“I can’t.  He is definitely off-limits.  My mother would kill me.”

“C’mon,” she says as she links her arm with mine.  “Let’s go check out your competition!”

I have no choice but to go with her.  To resist would be making a scene.  And making a scene in Pine Ridge means being the object of town gossip for weeks.  Visions of my mother passed out on the floor from embarrassment spur me on toward the little booth that contains Sugar Dreams’ display and Shane. Besides, scoping out the competition will make us better, won’t it? 

“Hi, ladies.”  He smiles and I immediately cast my eyes down, studying the table display.  “Have you tried our cinnamon rolls?  They’re the stuff Sugar Dreams are made of.”

Oh, he has no idea how true that is.  That baritone voice would melt butter.  It’s certainly melting me right now.  I loosen my neck scarf ever so slightly to let in some of the crisp December air.

“I’m Alex.  This is Holly.  I’d like a cinnamon roll and she’d like your phone number.”

I can’t believe she just said that!  My eyes grow wide and my heart races.  I want to jump into the closest snowdrift and not come out till spring.  I open my mouth to deny Alex’s words, but nothing comes out. 

I sneak a peek up at him through my lashes and see him smiling down at me.  Or maybe he’s laughing at me.  We are acting like a couple of school girls with a first crush.

“I’m so sorry about my friend here.”  Why is Alex still talking?  “Holly usually has a lot more to say.”  And why is she grinning like the Cheshire Cat?

“No worries.  Here’s a cinnamon roll for each of you.  My treat.”

Oh, thank God he ignored that crack about his phone number.  His fingers brush against mine as he hands me the pastry.  Is it my imagination or does his hand linger a couple seconds too long?

The cinnamon roll sits on a festive holiday plate with a fork nestled in next to it.  He’s thoughtfully placed a napkin underneath.  It smells heavenly.

“Thank you.  Come on, Holly.  You’ve embarrassed me enough today.”  Did she just wink at him?

Without looking back, I follow Alex to a bench in the park not far from the Sugar Dreams booth.  

I stab my cinnamon roll with the fork, cutting off a small piece as Alex picks hers up and takes a huge bite.

The heavenly aroma of cinnamon fills my nose as I raise the fork to my mouth.

O.  M.  G.  These yeasty creations far outshine any I’ve ever tried, including my mother’s.  My eyes drift closed at the sheer joy of eating them.  They are not too heavy on the cinnamon, and wisely have no nuts or raisins or other spices to compete with that cinnamon.  They’re topped with the best cream cheese icing.

“These are awesome!”  She is very loud, and many people around us turn to look.  I shush her and look up to see her giving a really hearty thumb’s up and a huge smile in the direction of the booth we just left.

“Oh.  Bestie, gotta jet.  Just got a message from Sheldon that he needs me over at the tree lighting spot. I have to go!”

I didn’t even see her checking her phone.  But before I can question her, she is gone.

I take my last bite of the cinnamon roll, this time getting the frosting on my chin.  When I pull out the napkin to wipe it away, I notice writing on it.

I’d like to buy you lunch.  Call me with a time and place.

-Shane

419-437-3267

I wonder if he saw me reading his note.  I take a quick look in his direction just in time to see him look away.  I suddenly feel deliriously happy inside.  And terrified.  This man has been the object of my daydreams for so long.  What if he doesn’t live up to my fantasy?  What if I don’t live up to his?

After that short moment of indecision, I pull out my phone.  I definitely do not have the courage to just talk to him.  But if I don’t have lunch with him, I’ll never know, right? I type in his number then I open a text and type

Lunch at the BBQ tent by the Christmas tree?

When are you free?

I’m hardly finished sending, putting the phone back in my pocket, when his voice is beside me.

“How about now?”

I stare up at him, giving new meaning to the words shock & awe.  Where did he come from so fast?  Should I refuse, play hard to get? Should I accept his invitation?  What will my mother think?  The Spice is Nice booth is on the other side of the park, so maybe she won’t know?  Oh, word travels fast in this town, so I’m sure she’ll find out soon enough!  WHAT SHOULD I DO?!  I certainly haven’t thought this thing through.  What was I thinking when I texted him?

He holds out his hand and the debate is ended.  I know I shouldn’t trust this man I’ve barely met, but I do.  And so I place my hand in his.  Immediately I feel a connection.  But love at first sight doesn’t exist, does it?  Well, it’s not exactly first sight for me.  

My hand feels as wonderful tucked inside his as I dreamed it would.  I expect him to let got as soon as I get up, but he doesn’t.

Still holding my hand, he guides me toward the big tent that has the best sandwiches at the entire festival.  For a minute I wonder again why I am so trusting with him.  I only know the man of my dreams, not the one currently escorting me down the street.

“So I don’t believe we’ve been formally introduced yet,” he says as we stop walking.  “I’m Shane.  I own the Sugar Dreams bakery.”  He winks at me and I blush.

“I think I may have seen you around.”  Boy is that a big fat lie!  “I’m Holly.”

He lifts my hand to his mouth and lightly kisses my knuckles.  

“Nice to meet you, Holly.  I’ve been watching you, too.”

Those words from any other man - any other human - would probably sound creepy and stalkerish.  But my heart leaps at the idea that he’d actually noticed me too.

“I’ve been trying to figure out a way to ask you out, but you always seem to disappear as quickly as I find you.”

I shrug my shoulders and raise my eyebrows.  Walking in a comfortable silence, we soon reach the BBQ tent.  Quickly my eyes scan to see who’s there.  He drops my hand as we head to the queue line to pick up our food.  I miss the warmth of his fingers around mine, but it’s as if he’s read my mind about not being the source of gossip.  Word travels fast in this little town.  

We take our food to a table in the corner and quietly enjoy the sandwiches.  It just feels right to be sitting across the table from this man.  No awkwardness like I’ve felt on past first dates.  No pressure to keep up a conversation.  Just a comfortable closeness.

“Do you believe in love at first sight, Holly?”

That question came out of left field!  I almost spit the last bite of my sandwich at him but reign it in at the last minute.

His ice-blue eyes are full of warmth as I gaze into them, wondering just exactly how to tell him my answer.

“C’mon.  I want to show you something.”

He picks up the remnants of our lunch and drops them in the trash can.  He sweeps out his hand, extending the invitation for me to lead the way.  We leave the tent with his hand gently and discreetly placed in the small of my back

We spend the afternoon roaming about the Winter Carnival, visiting various booths.  The sun is bright on the snow.  The air is crisp and cold, but I barely notice.  Shane seems to find a way to keep us connected without shouting to the town that we may be on a date.

He wins me a stuffed animal at the Lions Club’s booth by knocking down a snowman made out of cans with a “snowball.”  We stop by the bonfire in the center of town to toast some marshmallows and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, sponsored by the fire department.  And we get our picture taken with Santa, who looks a lot like the town mayor.

Finally giving in to the cold, we duck into the local pub to grab a sandwich for dinner and to warm up.  As we finish eating, he grabs both my hands across the table.

“I’ve really enjoyed spending this afternoon with you, Holly.  I feel like I’ve known you forever.  And yet I’ve barely scratched the surface.  But Holly …”

He squeezes my hands slightly.

“I feel a connection I’ve never known before.  It’s corny as hell, but I now know what they mean when they say ‘you complete me.’  It’s like a part of me that I didn’t even know was missing has just been found.”

I’m caught in his eyes, feeling tears welling up in my own.

“You feel it too?” I ask softly.  This is too much to hope for.  After all these years of talking myself out of even speaking to him, here he is almost professing to love me.

“I think I’m falling in love with you, Holly.”  Well so much for almost!

“Shane.  We just met today.  How can you possibly feel that strongly so soon?”

“I don’t know.  It doesn’t make sense to me either.  But spending time with you just feels right.  And I don’t ever want to say goodbye to you.”

He lifts a hand to my chin, gently lifting my head until I’m looking directly into his eyes.

“I know it’s really soon.  And I’ll understand if you don’t feel the same way.  But at least let me try to win you over?”

“There’s no need to try, Shane.”

His face falls like I’ve just slapped him.  He withdraws his hands and folds them under the table.  And I can see his shoulders visibly slump as if in defeat.

“Shane.”  Now I lift his chin so our eyes can meet.

“There’s no need to try because you won me over the first time I saw you.  You’ve been The One for me since I walked past Sugar Dreams a year ago.  And after this afternoon, one thing is certain for me.  I love you, Shane.”

And here is that megawatt smile!  He is grinning from ear to ear, dimple firmly in place.  He suddenly jumps up from the table and pulls me up into his arms.

“C’mon.  Let’s go find your mom!”

What?  Why?

“Because I certainly don’t want her to find out from some town gossip that I love her daughter.  I want that pleasure myself!”

December 12, 2020 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.