0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

Trees fulfil wants of men and other creatures with bark, branches, buds, flowers. foliage, greens, leaves, nuts, oils, roots, seeds, shadow, sweet smelling sap, timber, tender roots, toddy, twigs, wood and unripe fruit. A tree branch is the first choice of a human wanting to commit suicide by hanging in a public place or shelter for a brigand to escape from wild beasts. They also bring misery into human lives by falling on people taking shelter under them. Historians count the rings within barks to date the age of trees. One product of the tree is said to itch due to which the term itching palm has come into existence and can result in either enriching or ruining the possessor of that limb! Trees yield ingredients that can make medicines to heal or kill. Money doesn’t grow on trees is a common expression. Fables use trees as example to demonstrate habits: When they are young and small we can cast plants out but not after they have grown into trees. To show the power of language, one author has titled the book eats, shoots and leaves! It is said the founder of Buddhism got enlightened under a tree which is commemorated.

Trees have a long life unless cut down by man, burnt down by fire or lightning, or perhaps by an earthquake. Here begins the story of a long life tree and this is what it would say if it had a tongue:

I will start my story from the time I was planted to provide shade to travellers on trodden paths. It was during the reign of Tipu Sultan who had ruled a part of India. I grew and graced his camp. I have seen many of his cavalry and his cannon in action, besides his rockets which had been launched on the enemy – the British. He fought bravely but was vanquished. I have seen his sons being led away by the British in ransom.

I was neglected for some time but Nature came to my rescue. Rains came and the soil flourished. I also saw British rule flourish as many of their army came to camp in my shade. I saw British power growing and watched business grow. With it came the establishment of the railways when luckily for me, they laid railway lines quite near me but sparing me. Time to tell you a story I remember: If you travel by train you will pass me to reach a railway station. A family lived near where I was. It consisted of the farmer Ram and his young wife Lugina. Ram was a tall bearded man always in native attire. He wasn’t exactly prosperous but made enough to live comfortably. He was a drunkard and would often return home fully drunk. Lugina cautioned him several times to get rid of the habit but he didn’t bother.

Ram and Lugina would quarrel frequently and he would also be violent towards his wife. She tolerated him till he started a liaison with a certain woman who owned a toddy shop. One night there was a serious altercation after which Lugina crushed her husband’s head with a crowbar when he died. Lugina then came prepared towards me. She climbed me and fastened a rope around a branch. She made a noose at the other end of the rope. With it around her neck she jumped towards the ground. She was found hanging the next day. Police took away her body. However I found her ghost stayed on me from where it would roam freely and return.

I found Lugina an intelligent woman. I saw she had certain powers which she would exercise. I will tell you about the second time it was done which had consequences. One day a short goods train carrying mostly gravel came slowly up the incline and stopped when it had reached near me. Balfour was the engineer and Charlie was his fireman. Pat was the guard. Pat alighted and walked towards the engine. As Balfour was telling him that the railway line appeared blocked by something solid, there were noises of something large come crashing down me. Balfour who had a gun in hand sent off a shot believing that some beast was descending. However nothing came except for the frightened noises of bats and birds nesting over me.  Accompanied by Pat, Balfour walked ahead scanning the rails with a light, but nothing was found. The train started again and went on its way to the station near me which was their destination. I felt Lugina who had taken off, was settling back in her roost.

What I am going to relate further is what I know from talk i overheard. Balfour and Pat reported the matter to the station master(SM) who said “This is the second time such a report has been filed. Guard Robinson had the same complaint when Howard was the engineer. Let me check the complaints roster. Such stoppages shouldn’t occur.”

He shuffled some papers and said ”Here it is. What it says is that Howard saw something blocking the permanent way and braked. Robinson joined him and they walked a furlong ahead but found nothing. Funny isn’t it?” He took a pull on his pipe and said “Let me see who assisted Howard. It’s here. It is a Hamza. A local chap.” He stopped and said “Howard is no longer available. He had been acquitted of murder and had come here but in view of fresh evidence against him, he has quit and gone back home.” He asked himself “Is there some such impropriety in the case of Balfour?”

He sighed and said “I know Pat well. Balfour, I know you’re from Leeds. Is your family there?”

“I’m a bachelor. My parents live there.”

They had a friendly chat and then SM asked “Where is that fellow Charlie from?”

Pat said “He is of mixed origin British and Indian. Lives in these parts.”

The SM said “I must get to know all who faced trouble on the track. We’ll meet again.”

SM made enquiries about Charlie and was told “Charlie was friendly with Ruth, a nurse of the railway hospital. She has been missing since two weeks.”

SM alerted railway police who started a search. In a couple of days news came that Ruth’s body was found in a sack in a canal. She had been murdered by her throat being cut. They were investigating. Forensic examination revealed that Ruth had been in the family way. Police said “We suspect Charlie of having murdered Ruth.”

I am reminding you that I am the tree speaking. I don’t know how Lugina was able to spot the culprits correctly. She is still residing in me and has caused 3 more such exposures. I shall speak again later.

END

April 17, 2021 12:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.