30 comments

Drama Romance

He’s kissing a brunette.


She’s beautiful.


She’s slimmer than I will ever be.


He runs his hands over her body in a way he has never done to me.


They’re giggling in between passionate kisses, seeming like they enjoy it too much.


I scream.


They break apart and stare at me in horror.


Dallas’s face starts to shrink and enlarge.


Her face starts turning blue.


The floor is opening into a black hole, and I’m being sucked in.


I don’t let go of her neck.


I wake up, screaming. Dallas holds me in his arms and rocks me, slowly shushing me.


“It’s okay Millie, it’s okay. I’m here. I’m right here.”


But I can’t unsee that.


He was kissing someone else.


My fiancé was cheating on me.


I know that it was just a dream, but it seemed so real.


Too real.


I hold on to him tighter, smelling his husky scent and feel my breathing calm down.


“Are you feeling better now, bub?”


I just nod against his chest, feeling my eyes well up at the thought of Dallas seeing someone else behind my back.


He gently puts me down on the bed and kisses my forehead.


“Try to get some sleep Millie.”


I stay awake throughout the night.


***********


“My boss is throwing a party today at his place to celebrate his wife’s promotion, and he’s invited us. Do you have any classes today?”


I pull out my schedule and look through it. I teach high schoolers at the local tuition institute, and today is a school day.


“Nah, I’m free. We can go. I can’t wait to show everyone my ring.”


He gives me a kiss on the cheek and picks up his briefcase to go to work. I gaze at the simple, but elegantly cut ring, and think about wearing that shimmery green dress I bought a few days back.


I walk with him to the door, and wave goodbye, fascinated by the ring catching the sunlight.


I stand there for a while, thinking of how lucky I am to have a partner like Dallas when I’m once again reminded of that woman.


That brunette.


As the crystal-clear images flit through my mind for not the first time today, I’m once again struck by the fact that has been bugging me for so long: the fact that I never remember dreams for more than five minutes.


Why do I remember this specific one?


I shake my head to clear the chaos in my head and go back inside, shutting the door behind me.


“No more of that brown-haired she-devil. Just go and find your green dress, Millie.”


I obey the logical voice in my head and go upstairs.


***********


We hear faint music pumping from the door in front of us. I adjust the necklace so that it is perfectly falling over my collarbones. I pull at my dress and fix some strands of hair, and then nod at Dallas.


He looks absolutely gorgeous today, all dressed up with his brown hair slicked back and his perfectly ironed tuxedo accentuating his muscles.


As I think about what I would like to do to him if we were in a more private setting, he rings the doorbell, and we are immediately let inside by one of Dallas’s less-drunk colleagues.


The music is splendid, and so is the food and wine. Dallas introduces me to his boss, Peter, and his wife Diane. Me and Diane become fast friends as we talk about the most random things and make fun of our partners.


The doorbell rings, and Dallas gets up to open the door.


“Hey Leah! I was wondering if you would show, and here you are!” I hear him say, happily.


I hear them approaching, and I turn around.


My fork drops onto the plate, clattering loudly.


It’s her.


The brunette.


The brunette is real.


************


As the night goes on, Leah isn’t leaving his side. She keeps making excuses to touch him, whether it is to admire his tuxedo or stroke his biceps.


I say that I have to go to the bathroom, and I slowly move through the mass of people, feeling my heartbeat speed up with each second.


I open the door and lock myself inside.


My pale face stares back, the red lipstick contrasting sharply with the whiteness of my face.


I wash my face, the cold water calming me down for a moment.


My hands are shaking.


“But how? How are my dreams reality? How is that possible?” I ask my reflection, disappointed when I don’t receive a reply.


“Unless…unless they aren’t dreams at all.”


“Is it possible that-that they are memories?”


“Don’t be stupid, memories are only of the past.”


“But then how did the brunette lady come here?”


My internal voices fight it out for a few moments before I arrive at a conclusion.


I need to take Dallas with me and leave.


**************


“What do you mean we’re leaving? We just got here.”


“I’m not feeling well Dallas, you know how it gets when I drink too much wine.”


“But I’m having so much fun!”


“I think you’ve had enough fun Dallas, let’s go before your wine breath knocks me out.”


“Wait, let me say bye to Leah. You always ruin my fun.”


My future husband, ladies and gentlemen.


I go with him to the room that Leah is in, and I almost pass out.


It’s the room.


The room from the memory dream.


The room where I found them kissing.


I’m dazed as she hugs him, and then moves to hug me.


I wish I could strangle her now.


***********


“I’ll drive Dallas. You’re drunk.”


“You’re drunk.”


He’s such a baby.


***********


He’s taking off his ring. He’s throwing it on the floor. He’s making sounds but I can’t hear a thing.


“… I can’t marry you.”


He runs down the altar.


I follow him and trip on my dress.


As I fall and sprain my ankle, the flowers sit around me, almost mocking me.


He ran off.


On our wedding day.


As I watch, he holds his hand out, and Leah takes it, smirking at me.


I run to the bathroom, just in time before I throw up the entire contents of my stomach.


As I sit on the cold, slightly wet floor, panting and wiping the vomit from my hair and clothes, I’m now convinced that these aren’t dreams.


It’s a reality.


A reality that hasn’t happened yet.


But would he do it?


Would he leave me, his girlfriend of three years, for some random girl?


But I had seen how they had laughed and flirted during the party.


Would he leave me, the first chance he got?


Would he cheat on me, the moment a sexier girl appeared in his life?


Do I even love him?


**************


I walk down the aisle, my hand resting comfortably in my father’s arm.


I feel the beautiful dress flow behind me, and the flower petals beneath me.


Dallas stands at the altar, looking dashing and almost emotional.


Almost.


I reach the altar, and my father kisses me on the cheek.


As I walk up the stairs and take his hand, he looks at me happily.


As the minister begins talking, I watch as he subtly glances at Leah, and Leah nods at him with a smirk.


Oh, honey, you’re in for a surprise.


“Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this company, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate.”


“Dallas Finneas Jackson, do you take this woman to be your wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”


Before Dallas can reject me, I intervene.


“I’m sorry to interrupt, but could you ask me first? I know that the ritual starts with the man first, but this is the twenty-first century. It surely doesn’t matter who starts it, and besides, we need to be empowering women more, don’t you think?”


As the whispers start among the guests and grow louder, Dallas looks at me angrily.


I just smile.


“Of course, dear. I must admit I haven’t done it before, but there is a first time for everything.”


I nod gratefully at the minister, and he smiles back.


“Millicent Grace Stevenson, do you take this man to be your husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”


“I… don't.”


Gasps echo around the church.


“Because you never would.”


As I calmly take off my ring and place it in his hand, I look up at Dallas’s shocked face.


I lean in and whisper into his ear, “I give you my blessing to be with Leah.”


I take off my heels so that I don’t trip, and I pull up my dress and walk on the aisle, looking at my parents’ shocked faces.


I’ll explain it to them.


It will take time, but they’ll understand.


I look back one last time and wave at Dallas.


I’m all alone.


Finally.

October 07, 2020 18:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Lina Oz
02:18 Oct 30, 2020

YES! I found this story so empowering; I just wanted to cheer Millicent on and give her a high-five when she walked off at the end of the story and left Dallas standing at the altar. I also did not find the switching between dreams/reality and Millicent's thoughts challenging to follow; overall, this story flowed so well. Also, the trajectory of this story is a great way to handle this prompt (I think it's a particularly challenging one). The little detail that the particular dream with Leah was the only one the narrator could remember w...

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:29 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you so much! I didn't really plan to have a feminist ending when I first started writing it, I was just going with the flow. I'm really glad you like and appreciate my interpretation of this prompt. You are such an angel for reading my stories, thank you!

Reply

Lina Oz
02:40 Oct 30, 2020

Of course, you’re such a wonderful writer! Exited to keep reading your stories :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:52 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you! You're a fabulous writer as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
01:09 Oct 11, 2020

Ooh this is interesting—having the visions come to her in a dream is a nice idea. I’m loving the feminist ending, and the fact your writing style isn’t too flowery but gets straight to the point, which makes for a digestible read. Keep it up! 😙

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:16 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you for your feedback, I really do appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to read my story:)))

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:22 Oct 11, 2020

Of course! Oh and feel free to check out mine if you’re interested 😙

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:23 Oct 11, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
17:55 Feb 27, 2021

Whoa, that was a twist-this was detailed as always and amazing. I love at the end how she rejects him. Even better, I knew when and when not it was a "dream". This was truly a master piece Maina.

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:59 Feb 27, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Eva Bhalla
18:13 Feb 27, 2021

Aww thanks:). Anyways I can't wait to see your story for this prompt!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:03 Feb 28, 2021

I posted a story almost a few hours after the prompts came out, I don't know if you've read it, it's called 'Black and White' :)

Reply

Eva Bhalla
03:40 Feb 28, 2021

I will take a look! Also on my new story I am writing is so sweet, more heart warming than anything else. It's my first story! I would be delighted if you read it once it's out!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:44 Feb 28, 2021

I will definitely read it, just send me a message when it's out :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beverly Riddle
21:30 Dec 08, 2020

WHOA!!!! I was totally not expecting the ending.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:03 Dec 09, 2020

Yay! I'm glad you were surprised!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AJ Hensley
06:29 Nov 10, 2020

This whole thread just crushed my heart. I'm so sick for Millicent. Incredibly proud of how she handled the situation, but just sick for her. The emotion and the way that you seamlessly wrote in her thoughts was beautiful. I also find that most writers who try to use dreams or flashbacks can get stuck in the weeds of figuring out how to technically pull it off, but I like how you were able to still keep the story and the flow clean and concise. Great job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:35 Nov 10, 2020

I'm glad you loved Millicent as much as I did :))) Thank you so much for taking the time to read the story, and share your thoughts as well! I really appreciate feedback, and getting it from an incredibly talented writer as yourself is absolutely wonderful! Thank you once again! I know I burdened you with a lot of stories of mine to read, so don't feel like you need to! I just love sharing my work and getting others' opinions on it! Take your time :)))

Reply

AJ Hensley
06:36 Nov 10, 2020

It's not a burden at all! It is absolutely my pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beverly Riddle
21:40 Dec 08, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:46 Jul 18, 2023

I enjoyed it. It's good writing. Really good writing. It flows smoothly and is really good just generally. But I don't really understand it. I mean, why did she say 'I don't', doesn't she love him, and just because the brunette from her dreams shows up that doesn't mean that her husband-to-be is unfaithful? Well it would be, according to the prompt, but what if she's wrong? What if it's just her subconscious making trouble? So many 'What Ifs', I love stories that make me say 'What If'. Was I supposed to not like Dallas, because I did, poo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Phoenix Osborne
01:17 Dec 14, 2021

I like how Millicent rejected Dallas! She knew that Dallas would cheat on her, so why not just give up on him? So awesome, I love it!! PLEASE WRITE AGAIN!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
07:44 Jan 03, 2021

Wow this is so truthful. I’m glad that Millie follows her own thoughts and does what she must. Go girl!

Reply

Writer Maniac
07:48 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
15:26 Dec 17, 2020

This was amazing! Throughout it all, I was cheering Millicent on as she made her decisions, and I actually grinned when she left Dallas at the altar. Your characters were so lifelike and they really made the story feel real.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:37 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much for reading it and leaving such a sweet comment! I'm glad you liked it! Could you please fill the form in my bio, if it's not too much trouble?

Reply

K. M. Carpenter
22:44 Dec 17, 2020

Absolutely, on my way now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.