0 comments

Fiction Friendship Sad

Bernice walked into Agnus's office. "Are you coming tonight?" Bernice asked. She had been planning an election party for months and expected it to be celebratory. Agnus nodded. Even though Bernice was a very well-respected professor and active on campus, she spent most of her evenings alone. She was nervous about having an event at home. Bernice decided to have an election watch party at home.  The assistant professor, [[Julie, reluctantly agreed to go. Julie found it difficult to meet people in the small southern town.

Julie arrived first and brought some chips and guacamole dip and Agnus brought her famous carrot cake.  Bernice decided to make it a girls’ night out for the female faculty in the fine arts department

Julie headed towards the recliner. Agnus flopped down on Bernice’s dark blue love seat while Bernice went into the kitchen to get cheese, crackers, wine, and fruit. Bernice laid the comestibles on the coffee table and poured the wine. 

“I just want water, “ Julie said. Julie had never consumed alcohol before, as she worried it would interfere with her meds. Julie’s sister insisted that wine was superior to her psychiatric meds.

Bernice raised her eyebrow. Who wouldn’t want a little wine at a watch party?

“Bernice sat on the couch. Julie admired Bernice’s décor. Bernice was somewhat of a minimalist and loved the French Impressionists. Her hardwood floors were immaculate. Julie wondered why Bernice didn’t have any pets. Most people she knew were pet owners, and Julie couldn’t imagine not having a dog. Didn’t Bernice get lonely or was she so involved with work that she didn’t have time for a pet? How much did one have to sacrifice for a career? Julie had wanted children, but she would have to get a tenure track job first. She didn’t have time to date. Bernice had never been able to have children. She and her ex contemplated adopting a child, but Bernice was glad that she didn’t rush into the decision. Her work consumed everything she had to give.

Julie leaned back into the recliner and was the first to reach for refreshments. She had gained thirty pounds since she moved to SC.  Agnus dipped a chip into the dip.

“Hmm. Some good dip. Ummm.

Bernice took a sip of wine.

“Ladies, I think this will be a landslide,” Bernice said with a grin.

Agnus shook her head.

“Ummm. The historian who has a track record of predicting elections believes Trump will win. Micheal Moore agrees. ”

Bernice took another sip of wine and wrinkled her nose.

“Ladies, we need to be optimistic," she said.

Julie felt guilty that she hadn’t bothered to vote. She was just so exhausted from working late and trying to catch up on grading. Bernice definitely would be apoplectic if she knew Julie didn’t vote.

“I thought Trump was just working on a documentary when he first announced he was winning.”

Agnus poured some wine.

“Ummm. I started to take him more seriously after I watched the Republican debates.”

“Yeah, the expression on Jeb Bush’s face was epic when Trump told him he had more energy.

Bernice and Agnus laughed.

“I just don’t see it. America isn’t going to vote for a man who talked about grabbing women by the pussy.”

“Umm,” Bernice dipped a corn child into the dip. “There are so many angry people. And he taps into the anger.”

Bernice looked pensive.

“It will be interesting to see how the student paper covers the election. Some of our students come from very conservative families. I had a hard time adjusting to the politics of this area after I moved here from New York.

Julie nodded.

“Yeah, me too. But I try to stay neutral when I discuss politics in class. “

Bernice’s lip curled. She didn’t want to tell her students what to think, but so many of them wanted to vote against their own interests

Bernice’s cell phone buzzed. Julie waited for her phone to buzz too.

“Oh, I might as well cut this off. I’m still getting those phone calls. “

“You don’t think it’s Summer, “ Julie asked.

Agnus rolled her eyes.

“I think you two give her a lot of power. Ummm,” Agnus said.

“Maybe so,” Bernice said. “But I’m not going to worry about it tonight. I’m going to just focus on this historical event.

CNN announced Hillary was on a winning streak. Florida was a toss-up, but Bernice felt like Hillary would win. Agnus started to drink more wine when the races got closer in the swing states.

“Don’t worry Agnus,” I think she’s got this.

Agnus shook her head.

“Usually when they call Ohio, I think it’s a done deal,” Agnus said. 

“Agnus, If you need to stay here tonight that is okay with me. You’ve had a lot of bubbly.”

“Well, yes. “

Bernice’s blood pressure went up after Trump won Ohio and Florida. Hillary’s path to victory narrowed.

“I’m flummoxed,” Bernice said. "I just don't get it."

“Put your seatbelt on, dear,” Agnus said.

Julie grabbed another handful of chips. She tried not to think about how behind she was on her grading and the fact that she didn’t vote. But did it really matter? SC was going for Trump and the popular vote obviously wouldn’t result in a victory.

Bernice started crying when CNN announced Trump had won more cases.

“I’m sorry hon,” Agnus said.

After an hour, Trump gave his victory speech. Bernice wondered when she’d be able to peel herself off of the ceiling.

“Things are going to get apocalyptic in this country,” Bernice said.

Julie nodded but reassured herself that everything would be okay with the country even though her own life was a disaster.

“I believe things are never as good or as bad as they seem,” Agnus said.

“Oh, Agnus sometimes you are naive.”

“Umm. I think you need another glass of wine, dear,” Agnus said.

“I might take a day off tomorrow. I don’t want to hear the students discussing the election,” Bernice said.

“We all need a day off,” Agnus said.

Agnus yawned. 

“Well, ladies thanks for the invitation. I’ve got to get home,” Julie said.

“Agnus, you are welcome to stay,” Bernice said.

“Umm. Maybe I should. I think I had too much bubbly. “

Agnus and Bernice waved goodbye to Julie as she walked out the door with her dip. The chips were gone. Julie wouldn’t be able to sleep after eating so much. She would have to get up and go to class, as she’d missed too many. Bernice had not taken a day off in years, but everything was so surreal.  After Agnus settled into the guest room, Bernice turned on her laptop. It would be pointless to try to sleep. She briefly opened her Facebook app then checked to see if she had any messages. Bernice posted about the election. After she logged out of Facebook, she turned her phone back on. There were several messages that were nothing but static.

Bernice wondered if that person was still awake. No, it wasn’t that girl. But he most likely was somehow connected to her. Bernice felt like the person calling was a young man. Her phone buzzed again. Bernice said hello in a low voice. There was nothing but silence.

Bernice put the phone down and opened her journal. She had started journaling. She had been doing a lot of brainstorming. Bernice wiped a tear off her face and started typing. Things were only going to get stranger. Bernice envied Agnus’s optimism. She sensed that Julie wasn’t as concerned about current events, as she seemed to be oblivious to everything around her. One of the reasons Bernice was so ambivalent about meds because they numbed her. She wanted to fully experience her life; including pain. Yet, there was something Bernice was missing. She felt a deep emptiness. Sometimes she wanted the person on the other line to say something. She didn’t think the person on the other line was a disgruntled student. Maybe that person was just lonely and socially awkward. Maybe he wasn’t connected with Summer. She would have to stop referring to her as “that girl.”  Angus snored from the other room. 

Bernice continued typing. She wasn’t tired at all. Bernice picked up her phone and checked for messages. There was one blank message. Yes, she might as well get blank messages and hang-up calls. Nothing made sense anymore. She was living in the King Lear world.  But she wouldn’t give up. She’d have to find time for more activism in addition to her teaching and research. And She thought of the “Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock. And indeed there would be a time. Would she hear the mermaids singing?

July 27, 2021 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.