Heaven'S Little Tea House

Submitted into Contest #128 in response to: Set your story in a tea house.... view prompt

2 comments

Sad Romance

In a little tea house called HeavenlyAroma setting on top of White Top Mountain in Va. A sad wondering lady stopped by to smell of the heavenly aroma of the different kinds of teas that was drewing to try to lift her lonely and heavy heart. Her name was Elizabeth she had been having a hard time trying to deal the death of her husband Curtis passing away from about six years now.

The owner of the tea house walks over to Elizabeth and say's my name is Sky how may I help you today? Would you like to try the special tea of today? Which is organic Peaceful Time a tea blend of chamomile, red raspberry, orange and lavender. While you set down here and looking out the window at the beautiful lavender garden. Elizabeth said yes! Thank you! This sounds like a good tea blend to set down to release stress and renew my mind.

Sky could tell by looking into Elizabeth's eyes she was dealing with a lot of sorrow, pain, could tell that Elizabeth was trying to hold back tears in her eyes and she may could use a friend to talk to. Sky said I know it's not my business but, if you would like to talk to me about what is bothering you people tell me I am a great listen with a kind heart.

Elizabeth at first hesitated and said know thanks but, then she started talking to Sky about how her husband Curtis that passed away right in front of her eyes on a hot summer august day.

We only was together from when we meet at Holiday Inn in Bristol, Va. on august 30, 2013 until he died august 13 2016. Curtis and I meet. When my sister Mae and I went out one night for karaoke with DJ Marcus. I love to sing, dance and wanted some time out with my sister.

While we was there that night I got up and sung Loretta Lynn's song (Coal Miners Daughter) cause Loretta Lynn is one my favorite singers and I am a coal miners daughter. So the song is special to my heart. Little did I know that I caught Curtis heart as I sung the song cause Curtis use to work in the coal mines as well. I notice Curtis was setting at the bar across from the table were Mae and I was setting at and Curtis just kept looking at me. A man named Mark my sister and I knew came to the table were we was setting at while he was talking to us Curtis and his friend Larry came over to our table as well. Come to find out Curtis knew Mark as well. Curtis and I talked a while and then Curtis took my phone number and we all made a plain that I drive Mark to his home cause he was drunk. And I am known for being a designated driver cause I don't like to drink alcohol. Larry, Curtis followed behind my sister in my SUV and I drove Mark SUV to his trailer in a trailer park off LeeHighyway in Bristol, Va. My sister Mae and I told everyone bye as we drove off to my house in Meadowview, Va. were my sister truck was at. Before we got to exit 22 Curtis had called me asking to to go out on a date. I said yes! And I invited him to my up coming labor day get together I was having at my house with my family and friends. Curtis said he would come as we were talking we came to find out we both our son's had the same name Dalton, but Curtis son nick name is Turtle so, this was how we kept them apart.

Curtis unfortunately couldn't make it to the labor day get together I had at my house cause he had to work late. So Curtis called from his bosses phone two days later and asked me out on a date. So I said yes! Our first date was to a sports bar called JJ's cause it was close to were he lived at on Wyndale road in a trailer his boss had setting behind his garage. Cause Curtis was homeless when he meet his boss Terry that gave him a job setting up moiled homes.

Curtis didn't have a good family life his family had turned there back on a great loving, caring man. He even at one time went to jail for eating out of a dumpster. Cause he lost his job as a coal miner due to health issues.

Curtis and I fell in love from the first time we laid eyes on each other.After that first date.We was never apart! Only if Curtis had to work and I couldn't go with him to his job. But he did have to go to jail for six months. Through those six months we wrote each other letters, made many phone calls and I went every weekend to visit Curtis at jail. While he was in jail he got the name Heaven tattooed on his arm this was what he called me cause I was his Heaven on earth and he was my Bear.


On july 15, 2015 my son Dalton went to jail on a drug charge. and by july 30 2015 Curtis son Turtle called and asked his dad isn't Kayden Elizabeth's grandson? Curtis said yes! Turtle said the Dep of SS is at an apartment above my girlfriends and they getting ready to take him away. My grandson was with his mom Mindy and step dad Buddy.Know one told me they was in trouble with Dep of Ss. Curtis and I got there and Buddy came outside asked Curtis will you take my two kids in? Kayden's half brother Gage, sister Missy was there as well. Curtis such a good man took in three kids didn't belong to him. I knew he would help me take care of Kayden but, little did I know he would say yes to the other two kids. So off we left with three kids when we only thought we was going to pick up Kayden.


By august 18 2015 Curtis and I was in a very bad truck wreck and Gage and Missy was in the wreck with us. We all about lost our lives! We all didn't know Missy was hurt at the time until two days later. My dad Warren came pick up Missy at the seen So, she didn't ride with us in the ambulance. Curtis loved me so much he didn't want us go in separate ambulance's he asked we ride the same ambulance together we all three did even 3 year old Gage. Curtis and I held hands all way to hospital and a nurse held Gage.

After we left the hospital we had to live inside my parents furniture store cause we wasn't able to live by ourselves. Curtis's family wouldn't take us. And he had a broke neck, his skull would move from side to side,bleeding on the brain, I had both femurs broke, knees and head injury. Curtis was in and out of the hospital six times after this and two times I watch him bleed out to were he almost bleed to death. I was the care give for Curtis and myself I had to watch him suffer so much at the end we both started praying God if you don't heal Curtis just please take him home to heaven. I knew it wasn't far to Curtis for him to lay and suffer. I tried to prepare for his death with my life without my Bear the strong man that showed me what true love was all about. We always had each others backs, he was always holding my hand are giving me hugs.


On august 13 2016 my life changed and will never be the same again I watched Curtis jump off the back of his best friends boat Terry to go for a swim in the lake near the Jacob's Creek area. I told Curtis not to try to go swimming cause we just had been recuperating from a truck wreck that almost left us both died. Curtis wanted to be happy an do things he loved to do with his friends that was like family to him and he wanted see me smile. So he started swimming I could tell he was struggling but he was happy. He looked up at me while I was sanding on the boat started motioning with his fingers for me come into the water join him. So I did! Needless to say I found out very fast I couldn't swim well. So I stood out on the bank of the lake to were water came up about to my chest. Curtis swam off away from me I couldn't go after him. I knew something was wrong and I don't know why all I could say was Curtis your going the wrong way come back. I looked over at Terry and out load I hollered and Terry and his Wife looked over toward Curtis and Sandy jumped off the boat went after Curtis but, it was to late Curtis done took his last breath and he was floating on top of the water. He died of a heart attack in front of my eyes. But we both knew his time was short. He told me this early that morning that if he had another bad episode he wouldn't come back through. And he told me to never forget I was his Heaven on earth, for me to know he loved me and his love will last forever. And then Curtis told me about the dream he had about him dying and how it hurt his heart so bad to see me cry with such heavy heart and tears. I told him oh yes I will cry and I will miss you always until my last breath comes out of my lungs. I didn't know this was going to be so bad Sky! It hurts as much today as it did the day he died and he took half of my heart with him that hot summer day. The day he died God put two rainbows in the sky to show me a sign of peace, love and that Curtis was with him in heaven.

After Curtis died I called my son Dalton to tell him Curtis gone on to that rainbow road to heaven. I was so numb inside I was lifeless. I didn't want to talk to know one else. I told Dustin call Mitchell Curtis's cousin so his family would know of Curtis's death. Cause I knew they wasn't going to be nice to me. They all ready been blaming me for Curtis's health issues. I was on the boat waiting for all the cops to come speak to me cause everyone that touched Curtis's body had to talk to the cops about what had happen. And there six different people touched his body. And then wow! Curtis's family showed up was looking over his dead body. They followed the ambulance and cops to the Kingsport,Tn. hospital with Curtis's body was in the ambulance. I couldn't leave just yet! So it was dark around 9;00 pm before I could leave. Terry and Sandy took me back to the boat dock were we started out that day and were my car was at. I left there that night alone in my car without my Bear. He was my shot gun rider always by my side it was such a only painful ride home. I went home took a shower and went to Country Club bar to meet my friend Michelle she works there. She wanted to take me to the hospital to see Curtis's body so I didn't have be alone. Little to my surprise when we got there I asked to speak to the nurse in charge of Curtis's body. The nurse came out and said his family was all ready here and they said he didn't have a wife. So I was on my knees crying out to Jesus. I knew this could be a problem cause I knew Curtis had a fack marriage to a lady named Marsha. Marsha and Curtis went got a marriage certificate together but, it wasn't know good cause Marsha wasn't divorced from her second husband Paul. So this means Curtis and Marsha couldn't be married legally. Even though I got the 250.00 Spouses benefits from social security . I was not allowed to be Curtis's wife at his funeral. Cause his family took over his dead body from the autopsy medical examiner in Johnson City,Tn and had his body took to a funeral home in Richlands, Va. The same funeral home that the family had used for years. In 2017 I had to go to court in Tn. over this issues. Needless to say this really broke my heart into a million pieces. I lost the love of my life and on the same day his body got stolen away from me even though I had a legal marriage certificate to prove we was married. A double loss!!!


My daughter Moon and my Son Dalton thought more of there step dad than they did there own dad and Curtis said my kids treated him better than his own kids treated him. Moon said she miss going and having daughter and father talks with Curtis. She also misses those nights Curtis,Moon, my niece Karen and I set on the bed at night they read to us stories they would write about how they thought there life journey and add a little of there own imagination in to there story line. We would at times laugh very hard together about the stories they had written. I miss Curtis and I hunting, fishing together, all the hikes in the mountains, us swimming at the lake, singing karaoke and us going out dancing the night away.

We all miss Curtis a lot even till this day my son has dreams about him often, Moon comes talk to me about him, Gage says when can I go see Curtis. I tell Gage only way we can go see Curtis is if God puts out the rainbow road to heaven for us.

So Sky i hope you get a chance to fall in love with a man one day that loves you more he loves himself. Cause this is sign of true love. Doesn't mean you both want have to see ruff roads of life on your journey but true love will always be around you even when in death. Sky this goes to show you true love never dies even in death true love lives on forever.

January 09, 2022 15:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ernie Olson
17:18 Jan 20, 2022

Hi Gretchen. Like F.O. Morier said, Reedsy suggested I read and critic your story. Unlike F.O. Morier said, I did not enjoy reading your story. Sorry, but I am a bit of a sticky widget when it comes to punctuation, phraseology and flow. Your story has great potential, and the plot shows promise. If I could make one suggestion, it would be to proof-read your story, out loud. You should find the stumbling blocks that way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
F.O. Morier
07:15 Jan 20, 2022

Reedsy asked me to read this story. I did- or rather I started over my morning coffee… and enjoying it! And then: the power went out… I felt like eating this IPad My daughter fixed it and I could finish my reading And what a story…. I love it! Simply: BEAUTIFUL

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.