Knocking on Screen

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Crime Urban Fantasy

Knocking on Screen

Knock Knock

A small auburn haired girl in pajamas walks to her window and sees a smiling face of her father who is climbing on the outer porch roof.

“Daddy!.”

William Yonks signals for his daughter to be quiet and open the window for him. She looks confused and questions her dad actions. Recognizing the misunderstanding of his daughter Yonks uses his crowbar to pop open the window.

Crack Pop

Once he lifts the window open he steps in and holds his youngest daughter. Trying to hide his bat-like wings from her. “Honey....Daddy needs you to not tell mommy I was here.”

“Why Daddy! Mommy is nice to me and Albert. Why cannot I tell mommy you are here.”

“I know mommy is nice to you guys but Daddy is in trouble and needs to take a trip”

“Daddy don't go. I want to go with you.”

“I wish I could take you Abby but daddy needs to do daddy stuff.”

“I don't understand Daddy.”

“Abby it is important you promise me this. .

“I promise Daddy.”

“Good now listen give mommy this note for me. But wait until the police are gone. Okay.” comments William as he hands his daughter a letter.

Abby looks at it but still shows a childlike curiosity at the note. William hugs his daughter and vanishes into the night. Abby looks at the note and goes to the door and runs down the stairs of the cape cod.

“Mommy Mommy Daddy Was Here He has this note for you. “

Alison and Mitchell look at the little girl as she hands the message to her mom from her dad.

Elisabeth rips open the letter and glances over it and looks back at the FBI agents. “Agents, my husband is a good man. Please don't hurt him.” As she hands the letter over to Alison and is joined by Mitchell.

Reese, Johnny and the white male police officer run up the stairs looking for William.

Alison hands the letter over to Mitchell for him to read.

Reading the letter:

Liz I am sorry I must write this letter this way but I uncovered something that threatened my family and they said if I did not work with them you and the kids would be hurt. It involves illegal science stuff on people by shady corporations set up by government. Need to go please do not contact police they say they have contacts in police as well. Give my love to kids. Love William

Mitchell looks over as Reese and the others return from Abby's room. “Find anything Reese?”

Shaman speaks for Reese. “The girl's room was broken in but nothing was taken. The only clues we saw besides the crowbar must likely to break in was a set of muddy footprints”

“They are about a size 11 but we did not find any bat fur in the room. What do you think Chief?”

“Mrs. Yonks, did you say your husband was trying to remodel the old Newport theater?”

“Yes he wanted to restore to bring back some films for the residents who do not want to attend Newport on the levee. Why?”

“I'm taking a chance but there is a chance that is where your husband will perhaps make a trade with the buyers.”

“What about the murders you talked about?”

“That is something we need to here from your husband. Officer can you get us keys to the old Newport theater?”

“I can make a few calls for you Agent Mitchell.”

“Reese go help him out. Shaman what those your sixth sense tell us?”

“Still working on it Chief.”

“Work faster Alison stay here with Mrs. Yonks and Officer Smith, help protect the family..” comments Mitchell to both female law enforcement officers.

Forty Five Minutes

Mitchell and his team joined by a fire inspector for Newport Fire Department and Police officers park outside the Newport theater. Stepping to the main door the poster still shows “US Marshals” from an earlier time. The fire inspector a large black man begins to unlock the theater doors showing a look of uncertainly in his brown eyes. “This place should not have a new pad lock on the doors. Anybody who was attempting remodel this historical site should have notified my department of the new lock.”

“Step aside Inspector.” Comments the young rookie police officer. “Agent on your mark?”

Drawing his service pistol. He is joined by Reese and Shaman.

“Breach it Officer.” orders Mitchell. On those words the Officer and the two federal agents

enter the abandoned theater and spot several tool boxes in the lobby area. The law enforcement team are followed by Mitchell and a Newport Police Sergeant. Walking pass the

concession stand the team uses their laser sighted pistols scan the interior of the lobby. Shaman raises his hand as voices can be heard in the distance.

“....I tell you ….I did not talk...” comments Williams.

“That is unfortunate....I do not.....” Comments a Slavic voice

“Sergio... show them what we do to liars.,,,”

A screech is heard inside the theater. ...NO KEEP HIM AWAY....

Acting on instinct the Feds and Newport Police Officers push their way through the abandoned theater. In the distance they spot William shaking in fear as a large man-bat stands over him ready to strike him down. Standing aside is a Slavic man with a blood red polo shirt and he is holding a sword-cane.

Bang Bang Bang

Firing off several rounds at the man-bat, the bullets pierce the torso of the man-bat. The Slavic man spots the Feds and police and vanishes into the darkness of the theater back.

The man-bat turns to the law enforcement officer as more shots are fired at the man-bat. Raising their modified pistols the Feds take point in the fight with the man-bat. The modified Halite Silver shells pierce the beast as they releases a number of shells at the beast. Mitchell and the Sergeant meanwhile search the back behind the screen but finds no sign of the the Slavic man. The sound of a closing door catches the attention as Mitchell and the sergeant charge to the back door.

Rushing outside they see a dark Mercedes sedan go up the streets of Bellevue and Newport, KY . Mitchell looks at the sergeant who already is on the radio calling for an APB and BOLO for the Mercedes sedan.

Back inside

The rookie police now has William Yonkers in handcuffs as Reese and Shaman cover the man-bat in a paint canvas carpet. The rookie officer looks in shock at what he witnessed this early morning hour in the old theater.

Mitchell talks to the Sergeant as the rookie cop takes William Yonks to his police car. “I'm afraid you need to keep what you saw a NTK issue. A DARPA team will arrive to take the creature to a NTK location, Sergeant.”

“What in Sam Hill did I witness tonight Agent, a rogue lunatic in a Halloween costume?”

“Once again Sergeant it is a NTK situation.”

“What about the PERP, William Yonks?”

“We will interrogate him and get what he knows and we can assume the PERP in the Halloween costume was the murderer of the two patrol officers at the Federal Reserve.

“And the Mercedes?”

“Keep us posted if your departments track it down and than we can review the car as a crime scene. Once again thanks for your help in this case and remember it is a NTK issue.”

Epilogue:

Three days later.

Mitchell and his team stand outside the home of William Yonks and his family as several dark suited US Marshals stand alert for any hostile reactions. Alison stands against their escapade.

“What is going to happen with the Yonks, Bob?”

“Well Ali they will be relocated by the US Marshals because he was a witness to a Slavic Crime boss. My friends in the Bureau are beginning an Internal investigations in Cincinnati, Newport and Bellevue police departments for any moles who are bad apples in the area. Provided by Mr. Yonks knowledge.”

“The USB he stole with that man-bat will be reviewed by our D7 contacts and than we will provide a joint DHS, CIA and DOJ investigation. Though I am not sure if one of us will be part of that joint task force.”

Did we ever find the Mercedes?”

Reese speaks for Mitchell. “ We did find the Mercedes though it was dunk in the Ohio and Shaman, Hamilton County and Northern KY Crime Labs are peering through the clues if any left behind by the Slavic crime boss.”

Where does the man-bat fit in Bob?”

“That is a question we are still trying to figure out. Its possible our Slavic crime boss is involved in a super-soldier program or he is a Romanian vampire crime boss who uses man-bats as his muscles.”

“Just what our team needs a Romanian Crime Boss who is a vampire.”

The End?

June 11, 2021 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.