44 comments

Contemporary

No Such Thing as Goodbye

Author's note: This story isn't really contemporary, I just had no idea which category to put it in. Hope you enjoy it nonetheless!

~ Jasey :)

goodbye

/ɡʊdˈbʌɪ/

1. used to express good wishes when parting or at the end of a conversation.

Similar:

farewell

adieu

au revoir

ciao

auf Wiedersehen

adios

sayonara

vale

bye

bye-bye

so long

see you

see you later

catch you later

cheers

ta-ta

later

laters

Opposite:

hello

noun

2. an instance of saying ‘goodbye’; a parting.

"we said our goodbyes and set off"

Dear Mama,

I’m writing you this letter before the last of my room gets packed up. As you know, I’ve never written a letter before, not counting in English class in Year 2, so sorry if I’m a little rusty. The boxes are stacked up in the living room, which makes everything more surreal. I still cannot believe I’m not going to college, I thought that was the path I was taking, but I guess I was wrong. It’s not that I have a bloodlust or a desire for war, it’s more defending the country and protecting those in danger. That’s why I could never play those video games with my friends, I always ended up saving the children instead of shooting down the enemies. Even so, I could’ve become a police officer. I’m not sure, Mama. What I do know is that I will miss you and Papa, though I don’t say it often. My friends always call me a “mother’s boy” and I’m proud to own it, who couldn’t love their Mama? 

Anyway, I can hear the van pulling into the driveway. That means I have to carry all those boxes and pack away my things. I didn’t really believe it before but now I do. I will miss the swing tied to the big pine tree in the backyard, I will miss that one vanilla candle you always light on Sunday evenings, and I will miss riding to the park with you and Papa as a child. I hope the army lets me write letters to you both, or send you a message. As much as I like hanging out with the lads, there’s nothing like sitting in front of the fireplace with your parents, just there in each other’s company. I hope you can forgive me for moving away, Mama. I know that’s not what you wanted, but you always tell me if it’s good for me and it makes me happy, then I should go and do it. I have to go. Father is calling me outside to start bringing boxes into the van. I love you, Mama. I already gave Papa a nice, long speech about how I was going to make him proud since he likes those kinds of things. I won’t say goodbye because I know how much you dislike saying it because I’ll be back. 

Forever your son,

Timothy 

~

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye. There's never been a word so sad. Goodbye life, goodbye love, goodbye my friend. Does that word not make the world seem so much more desolate and morbid? I believe so. How I wish I could say that word to you, but I don't think I can bring myself to. You are my pride and joy, Timothy. No mother wants to say goodbye to her child. No mother wants to kiss their son's cheek, saying you'll see them tomorrow when they won't. No mother can bear the loss of their child. 

So, I wonder, my son, if I do not say goodbye to you when you leave in two hours, does that mean I do not accept it? I do not wish to see you go, but Mother will always do everything for you. Remember that, Timothy. If it benefits you, then so be it. I will take that risk and pay that price. But I have never been one for goodbyes, darling boy. Perhaps a ‘see you soon’, but never farewell. For there is nothing good about saying bye, is there? 

Timothy, when you grow up, I want you to remind yourself that you are capable and worthy. Don’t get cocky. I want you to love yourself and remember Papa and I love you too. Don’t become vain. I want you to learn, adapt, and change in all the right ways. Don’t think you are perfect. I say this because I strive for the imperfect things in life. After all, they can be so beautiful. Perhaps you will not listen to your Mama’s words, and that is alright too. Maybe you must learn things the hard way, even though it’s not preferable.

There is your Papa now, packing your bags into the van. I can hear him telling you to stay safe. You’re nodding, a small smile on your face. You’ll make us proud, no doubt. What happened to the time, Timothy? In my mind, you will always be my little boy with those beautiful blonde curls and starstruck eyes. But now, you are a man prepared for war. If given the choice, I would not send you so far away, but this is the life you’ve chosen, Tim. A soldier who will never stop fighting, even on his last breath. Oh, and there’s the kettle boiling. I keep getting interrupted, even though I have to finish this letter before you leave. I’m still not willing to say it, you got your stubbornness from me.

I have come back, but perhaps I shouldn’t have. You’re back inside the house now, for the last time. Your room has been cleared out, nothing left to remind me of you, except memories and photographs hanging on the walls. I am going to miss you so much, Timothy. If not too much, but that is normal, right? You will be reading this and think, “Gosh, my mother has separation anxiety. She won’t be able to live on her own.” and maybe you are right. Except, I want you to be happy and not to worry about me. Be safe, Timothy. Come back home to me, my dear boy, so I don’t have to say goodbye. 

Love, 

Mama

~

19th July 2007

Dear Mr and Mrs Whitley,

It’s with a heavy heart that I regret to inform you that your son, Timothy Nigel Whitley, has died in the face of battle. His service to his country has been admired and will not be forgotten. On the 18th of July, at 800 hours, your son was shot on the battlefield by foreign enemies. A service will be held at our current site, and his body will be sent home as soon as possible. We thank you for your son’s commitment.

Sincerely, 

Commander Christopher Goodwin

April 16, 2021 04:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

12:53 Jul 01, 2021

sdfghjk I still can't believe I've been offline for so long aiya- I missed so many stories ;-; ANYWAYS I love the way you wrote this in letters and asjaskj typical your style :) good job! now time to continue binge reading ahah

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:51 Jul 01, 2021

Come back online thennnnnnnn but tysm girly :)

Reply

12:29 Jul 03, 2021

...i said binge reading.... but then i fell asleep after two stories welp ahaha :')

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
13:04 Jul 03, 2021

Bahahahah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megara Jackson
13:55 May 22, 2021

I'm supposed to be doing an essay... instead I'm binge-reading your short stories which I only found out about today~~~ My friend, you've got yourself a new fan :DDD You're an amazing writer, I love your stories, and also, are you planning to do a book? If you are, I'll be your first reader :DDD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:57 May 22, 2021

Hi there, Megara! (Love the name- reminds me a lot of PJO) Firstly, thanks for the wonderful comment. Seriously, it made my day. I have a few book ideas, but only one of them is completed. I might consider linking it into my bio, but we'll see. Secondly, I love your pfp- did you use Canva? ~ Jasey :)

Reply

Megara Jackson
12:22 May 23, 2021

1. *lE gASP* A FELLOW DEMIGOD!!! Hello there! Who's your godly parent? Mine is Poseidon :DDD 2. Glad you love my name and my prof pic! Love yours too! It's like you're related to Luna Lovegood from HP ;))) 3. Yes, I did use canva. The day I found out about it was the day a miracle happened *angelic singing starts*

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:35 May 23, 2021

1. YES A FELLOW DEMIGOD! Daughter of Athena here, Cabin 6 :) 2. Yes! I really liked Luna from my HP days, so I decided to pay a small tribute to her 3. I knew it ahaha I use Canva ALL the time

Reply

Megara Jackson
13:35 Jun 08, 2021

1. Wanna do sword fighting practice tomorrow? :DDD 2. Ahhhh yes, our third-favorite witch in the entire series. The amazing Luna Lovegood~~~ I love her so much :DDD (Also, just in case you want to know, favorite is Hermione, second is Ginny, and third is Luna. That depends on who you stan the most ofc~~~) 3. Same here! HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:31 Jun 08, 2021

1. Yup, I'll meet you there at 4. 2. Ooh yes ofc Hermione and Ginny are both amazing too :) 3. I convinced my Design teacher to use Canva for one of our projects so I got a whole class to use Canva XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
15:42 Apr 22, 2021

I like your new profile picture.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
21:10 Apr 22, 2021

Eeee thanks- I’m a big JATP fantom. I love yours too :)

Reply

Ari Berri
21:14 Apr 22, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:15 Apr 20, 2021

Oh my gosh, I never commented or liked this. Sorry for being so late! The definition was a great way to start the story (and it also provides a way to go over 1k words, hehe). I saw the death coming. I really did. You somehow made it sad without showing us Timothy's parents' reactions. The letter format was executed well. Great job :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:23 Apr 20, 2021

Lmao yes, that's exactly why the definition is in there- to get over the word limit. Thanks so much, Annabelle :)

Reply

23:07 Apr 20, 2021

Lol, no problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Soul for a soul part two is out now! :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:12 Apr 19, 2021

Awesome, I’ll check it out soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
16:25 Apr 18, 2021

It is Gloomy, you have mastery over words, very technical , you are a star

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:12 Apr 19, 2021

Aww thanks so much, Bia! :D

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
14:43 Apr 19, 2021

My pleasure,,,,,glad to see your comment

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:54 Apr 19, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
23:47 Apr 22, 2021

Kindly read my story I need to talk to a fairy

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:57 Apr 23, 2021

Sure, I'll check it out now. I thought u were calling ME a fairy lmaoooooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
12:51 Apr 18, 2021

WOAH! amazing but sad:( and btw tim's death was a surprise. loved it<3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:11 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you so much for reading! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Amel Parvez
10:14 Apr 19, 2021

Anytime. ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
15:05 Apr 17, 2021

OH MY GOD WHY! NOOO TIMOTHY! Dangit I was expected a bittersweet ending but NO you just HAD to kill the son *cri*

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:15 Apr 17, 2021

Mwuahahaha I’m not sorry, Sarah! Originally it wasn’t meant to have a sad ending I just felt like it. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:44 Apr 16, 2021

OOOH I love the definitions you put! Hehe, I don't want to claim credit, but any chance you got inspiration from me? Maybe I could just pretend you did... hmmmm This kinda reminds me of the ending of "House of Leaves" where it's all CONTEMPORARY, and poetry in the forms of frantic letters. great story!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:26 Apr 17, 2021

Uh I didn’t know you did definitions, but sure let’s go with that. Welp, I still am unsure if this is contemporary or not, but thanks for reading, Ethan!

Reply

11:14 Apr 17, 2021

Hehe, in my story “Jemma” I did something similar. That’s what I’m trying to say.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
13:27 Apr 17, 2021

Ah ok gotcha :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:48 Apr 16, 2021

I'm going to cry. You are an amazing writer. The ending...

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:24 Apr 17, 2021

Aww thanks so much! I didn’t mean to make the ending sad... it just happened

Reply

13:25 Apr 17, 2021

I liked it!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
13:28 Apr 17, 2021

Tysm! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Asumi Pringle
12:21 Apr 16, 2021

This story is really good, but it is sad. I love how you put it into the later format and there was a letter from the son to the mother and a letter from the mother to the son. Overall, this was an amazing story!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
12:53 Apr 16, 2021

Originally I hadn’t planned to make it a sad ending butttttt here it is anyway. Thanks so much for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
04:37 Apr 16, 2021

Hi hi! Here's another story this week. It's not a favourite of mine, but I just really wanted to write something. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
19:59 Apr 22, 2021

New story!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
21:11 Apr 22, 2021

I’ll check it out soon! Can’t wait :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.