0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Sad

The cabin was silent save the faint melancholy groaning of timbers as the ship rolled over the cold swells of the ocean outside. These waves were few are far between, and the crew would joke these were the only one’s brave enough to strike pirate queen Jezebel’s ship. A warm orange glow emitted from the solitary lantern hanging deceptively motionless from a chain as the room seemed to shift around it. Shadows grew and shrank as if dancing around the light source.

The captain’s quarters were richly furnished with all manner of exotic fabrics and artisan furniture but all that seem to blend into the backdrop, pushed aside by the shear tension in the room. The question had been innocent enough, the first mate shifted uneasily in his seat, they had spoke of forgotten lovers and lost treasure, the ones that got away. He had divulged a hearty tail of a treasure ship dragged beneath the waves; its belly full of a thousand fortunes. Then he had asked the pirate queen, his captain, what was the most valuable thing she ever lost. Her eyes immediately unfocused as if watching something only she could see, some long passed memory. He wasn’t sure if it was dread at saying the wrong thing, or desperation to hear what she would say but something was writhing around in his stomach and his back was cold with sweat.

 She was the pirate queen in more than just name, she had once been in another life, princess Julie third in line for the throne. She cross stitched, wore pink flowing gowns (a mental image the first mate was simply incapable of rendering) and learned all she needed to know to serve the kingdom. When she came of age, she learned how she would be expected to marry some lord to strengthen family ties, and she in her naivety had been excited to meet her prince charming. That was until she met the baker’s daughter, she delivered bread to the castle and having not had many friends her own age a bond was forged almost instantly. The captain paused for a moment, she didn’t know how she had felt about her, they were friends to be sure but was that all? Regardless, she continued, the king didn’t like this fraternising with commoners, and had the girl beaten bloody and banned from the castle.

Another thoughtful pause, and the first mate reasoned aloud, so this girl was the one that got away, and the ship groaned in the following silence as if annoyed at his inaccuracy. She continued, her sister, Catherine had stuck up for her when she had confronted the king. They had always been close. They made a scene, spoiled little princess’ that they were. It didn’t go down well; they were both punished. Another pause, and all the money in the world wouldn’t have given the first mate the courage to ask what that punishment initialled. That was how it started, she said, how the vail of fantasy began to fall away, and the bars of her prison became more apparent. Through the bars she watched as everyone else suffered as well, servants beaten, people oppressed. When her wedding day came, she was ready to leave, and as the swine tried to force himself upon her, and as her blade pierced his heart, she knew it was then, or never. She rallied the men she knew were eager to leave and took with her half the royal navy and each of them were born again in the waves.

Of course, she explained, it wasn’t that easy, they had the other half of the navy to deal with and the guard had locked down the palace. They thought it was a coup, they didn’t even consider that perhaps she just wanted to be free. That was their mistake they let them go in the end, scared they’d take something from them. Still the fighting at the docks was intense, her first real battle truth be told. She raised the large brim of her hat revealing her black leather eyepatch. They always said her eyes were her best feature. Ah the first mate reasoned, it was her eye that she lost, but he was smart enough not to say it aloud. It was the first time she saw men killed anywhere but the gallows, and though she mourned each loss they died free and fighting and that was right, not bound like animals and slaughter before a baying crowd. The man that would have filled your boots, she eyed the first mate, was the first to fall, protecting her from a well swung axe of all things. She loved that man, and would have married him on the waves if she could.

The first mate nodded, as if finally understanding the moral of the story.

She had all manor of riches before she left, she added. The jewel of the south was said to be the most beautiful thing in the world, prized by all men throughout the land. She smirked as if baiting the question, the first mate obliged, a mere jewel he asked, after all you told me it was a jewel you left behind? that’s the one you lost?

The smirk widened showing her teeth, like a cat grinning at dinner.

“Aye, a jewel, nothing but a prize to own, a pretty little thing to be locked away and bartered with. At least, that’s what they called her, my sister, Catherine. I promised she’d come with me, but like I said, they locked down the palace, it would have been a blood bath and I had people to look after now, subjects to rule, not to ruin for my own goals”.

They dined and drank, and eventually the first mate left never daring to breath a word of what he had heard. The pirate queen then stood for sometime by the window staring towards land. She didn’t say anything. She simply sighed, wiped away a tear and got on with planning her people’s future.

April 06, 2021 10:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.