7 comments

Fiction Suspense

“Hello, it’s so good to see you. Come on in and have a seat. I was just freshening up from my morning walk.”

“Thank you. It’s good to see you also. It’s been what, six months? I’ve lost track of time. Anyway, how’ve you been?”

“Oh, you know…taking it day by day.”

“You look tired.”

“Well, I don’t sleep well. You know, the older you get the harder it becomes to get a good night’s rest.”

“I suppose.”

“You look well.”

“Thank you. I’m in a good place now.”

 “Good for you...”

“Listen…I’ve been thinking. We didn’t end things very well. That is to say, it ended rather abruptly.”

“I guess, yes. Go on…”

“Well, what if we could go back to the way things were?”

“Is that possible? We’re so far apart.”

“I want to believe it’s possible, yes.”

“I miss touching your hair…I miss your smell…I miss the taste of your kiss.”

“I miss you too.”

“How about I make us some coffee or tea?”

“Tea is fine, but no sugar.”

“I remember, yes.”

“Tell me what you’ve been doing lately.”

“Well, soul searching. You know, looking for the next idea.”

“Any good ideas?”

“No, not really. I guess I’m just searching for something to occupy my time.”

“Time?”

“I spend a lot of time alone these days.”

“Yes, me too. I do understand.”

“I have lots of good memories though.”

“Like what?”

“Remember when we first met?”

“I do. You were working at the ice cream parlor.”

“Yes. You’d come in and order a triple cone; one scoop vanilla, one strawberry, and one chocolate. I believe that was a Neapolitan.”

“Haha, yes. And it had to be upside down in a bowl.”

“That’s right.”

“I haven’t had one of those in some time.”

“It took me all summer to ask you out.”

“Yeah, I remember. My girlfriends used to tell me to give it up.”

“I’m glad you hung in there. I miss holding your hand.”

“And then I went off to college the next summer. It was tough.”

“Yeah, I went off to the camper fabrication plant. It sucked for a while because I was working double shifts – mostly to keep my mind occupied. I did make lots of money though.”

“It was difficult, but I always knew I’d come home after graduation.”

“Can I top off your tea?”

“Yes, please.”

“Let me open the curtain and let some sunlight in.”

“The sun feels good.”

“Yeah, it makes walking in the courtyard extra special. It really helps me clear my head.”

“I imagine it does.”

“Listen, I’m sorry about not having children. It’s all my fault. Damned low sperm count.”

“No, no, don’t blame yourself. It’s part of life. You never know what you’ll be faced with.”

“Thanks, but I just can’t get passed it.”

“We always wanted kids, but we had to shift gears. I think we did great. Remember when we drove to Niagara Falls on a whim and got stuck in the snowstorm?”

“I’ll never forget that. We were smart having an emergency pack in the car but being stranded on the interstate for three hours was not fun. We made it through together though.”

“We did. I never loved you more except maybe the time I sprained my ankle on our hike on the Appalachian Trail and you had to carry me back to the car. It was like three miles.”

“No offense, but I don’t think my back was ever the same.”

“Your wit, I miss your wit.”

“I guess life without kids made us more adventurous, but still...”

“Don’t dwell on the negative. The positives outweigh the negatives.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m glad you stopped by.”

“Me too.”

“How long can you stay?”

“Oh, a couple of hours, I guess. If you don’t mind.”

“Not at all.”

“Hey, remember when we went on that white-water raft excursion, and you broke your arm, and I broke my hand? We were in so much pain we had to laugh. The rest of the crew thought we were crazy.”

“Don’t make me laugh. My arm hurts thinking about it.”

“Haha. I swear my hand is still swollen. I’m certain it never healed.”

“You know what I miss? I miss going to our camp on the river and sitting outside at night by the fire and when the moon was out it would reflect off the water. That’s what I miss.”

“I miss that too.”

“We should go back some time.”

“Yes, that would be nice. I wonder if all the big trees are still standing.”

“We should rent a canoe and do the twenty-mile journey again. Slowly making our way downstream and basking in the sun. The fall was the best time with all the leaves changing and sun shining. It was the most beautiful time.”

“Sure, but I hated having to drag that damned canoe when the water was low. Still though, you’re right, the most beautiful time.”

“We had some great times.”

“The best.”

“I’m sorry you got sick. How are you recovering?”

“Well, I’m no longer sick, but to be fully recovered I need you.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t notice the signs sooner. I feel like it’s my fault.”

“No, no, don’t blame yourself. It’s part of life. You never know what you’ll be faced with.”

“Thanks, but I just can’t get passed it.”

“Remember the time we went on that ghost hunt in the old manor?”

“Yeah, I was a little overly confident that it wasn’t haunted.”

“You mean, obnoxiously confident.”

“I was never so scared in all my life.”

“Served you right. Ghosts do exist and sometimes they’re friendly and helpful.”

“Yes, I learned that the hard way.”

“It’s good you have our memories. Hold onto them.”

“I do my best.”

“There’s someone at the door.”

“Now who could that be?”

“I don’t know, but I must go. I’ll come back just call me.”

“Who is it?”

“It’s Dr. Grimm. May I come in?”

“Please.”

“Who were you talking to?”

“My wife.”

“We’ve been over this. Your wife died three years ago.”

“You believe what you want, and I’ll believe what I want!”

“That’s in part why you’re here.”

“I just want to be with my wife!”

“Sorry, it’s time for your meds.”

“Why won’t you let me be with her?”

“You’ll be with her soon enough…soon enough.”

February 20, 2023 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Wally Schmidt
04:40 Feb 28, 2023

This story builds so well and -bam! there's an unexpected twist I didn't see coming at the end. Nice job with the prompt and good storytelling!

Reply

Douglas W. Carr
13:30 Feb 28, 2023

Thank you for the kind remarks and your support. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
13:12 Feb 26, 2023

Good delivery on this prompt. Sad subject but you made it real with good twist at end. Well done.

Reply

Douglas W. Carr
18:17 Feb 26, 2023

I appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:19 Feb 26, 2023

My pleasure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
22:22 Feb 20, 2023

Clever! I was about to say "Are we sure they are good together? They always seem to have bad luck!" and then... I won't spoil it, but great story, Douglas! :)

Reply

Douglas W. Carr
01:09 Feb 21, 2023

Well, thanks. I'll take clever, but it was better in my head than it turned out on paper.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.