42 comments

Romance Fantasy Drama

Our story takes place on a blustery December day in Hyde Park, one of the most romantic places in the world, where lovebirds often tweet about, cloaked with the smell of chocolate and flowers. In a certain quaint apartment complex, there lived a daughter and father suffering under the cruel heavy weight of poverty. The daughter, Marigold, loved her father dearly and would do anything to make his life better. Since Marigold worked as a seamstress it was difficult to afford enough food to go round between them, which made the poor man come down with many a cold, detaining him from finding work. When times were hard and the world seemed unmerciful, Marigold would take refuge in her one joy, her tiny blood red rose garden on her balcony.

   Glancing toward Hyde Park, Marigold longed to join in the lovebirds' carefree frolicking but knew that it would never happen. Everyday, Marigold went to Sally's Dresses and made the best of a situation, no matter how cloudy everyone's hearts were. One time, the doorbell tinkled and in entered a gentleman wearing a sophisticated dark green tailcoat with a serpent brooch over his heart and white gloves.

   Waltzing over to the paying counter the gentleman spoke with a charming white smile, "I'd like an order of your finest rose ball gown with lace no later than tomorrow at noon."

   As Sally's Dresses had very few customers, Sally the owner, replied to the classy gentleman, "But of course! And how would you like the order's name to be under?"

   "Just put it under Fidi, as my friends often call me," said Fidi checking his silver watch.

   "Of course, of course!" Sally replied, attempting to flirt to the gentleman by presenting him her chubby hands covered in flashy gold rings.

   Behind the counter there was a curtain which concealed the girls busily working away at dresses, dressed in rags with deep circles under their eyes from lack of sleep. The girls were all about eighteen and listened to the conversation with eagerness, knowing that a wealthy gentleman would often tip and pay highly for their services. Once the doorbell rang for a second time, signaling the gentleman's leave, the girls gossiped about what Fidi's life was like.

   "I bet that he has chandeliers galore with personal servants at attention just to wait on him," giggled one of the girls.

   "No, that's not right Lucifine. Fidi must have a beautiful fiancé who gets any gift she desires. How splendid that must be!" remarked another high spirited girl.

   All the others sighed aloud at the thought of such a luxurious and pleasant way of living. After a time, while the girls busily sewed, they began playing Truth or Dare. At one point, it was Marigold's turn and she chose a dare.

   "Alright then Marigold. Who's your crush?" asked one of the girls.

   "Well," thought Marigold, "I don't have one," the girls began to protest and shout until Marigold continued saying, "but, if I had to choose one it would be Fidi," replied Marigold bashfully.

   The girls whispered excitedly about this new shocking piece of gossip. It was such a silly and impossible dream that in the end everyone laughed, including Marigold. At last, Sally's Dresses lights' flickered off one by one and the girls' daily work were put aside one by one until Sally and Marigold were the only ones left. The two women worked silently to tidy up the shop until the next day.

   When the work was done, Sally tenderly told Marigold to go and let the "youthful mind enjoy the pleasant and sweetness of slumber." Marigold told Sally to have a goodnight and she silently crept into the icy night with a rose shawl over her golden curls. After keeping a strong hold on her composure during the day for so long, Marigold longed to visit her rose garden at home. Hanging her dejected head down under the streetlamps, Marigold walked briskly through the chilly night, allowing the memorized route toward home to guide her. While walking, she bumped up against something solid and her shawl and purse fell down.

   "Oh, I'm so very sorry madam! Here let me help you," replied a voice from above.

   "Dear me, how clumsy I am!" replied Marigold, her fingers and mouth becoming tied up.

   Once all of Marigold's possessions were restored to their rightful owner, Marigold was able to take a closer look at the stranger. The gentleman had a khaki hat tipped precariously upon his head and a permanent smile etched on his face. His auburn hair glowed like fire and dotted freckles were painted onto his creamy face. Marigold also noticed that the stranger was about twenty-two, four years older than herself, and carried a street lamp lighter and a handy extendable metal ladder, the source of her new made bruise. 

   "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, madam. To make it up to you may I walk you home?" asked the boy.

   Surprised by the use of madam Marigold was struck dumb, but used manners as was accustomed to ladies and replied, "I'd love that."

   Marigold and the gentleman walked silently through the night until they arrived at the base of Marigold's apartment complex.

   "I guess I'll leave you here, mademoiselle." And off that stranger went into the night whistling an unfamiliar tune.

   After Marigold unlocked the door and put away her work clothes, she took out her nightgown and sat on her bed, pondering about the stranger. She liked his gentlemanly demeanor and humorous face, but she reasoned that it was too early for her to really love someone, especially a stranger; but was it? She was already eighteen and would have to leave her father at some point, but would now be the right time? Father wouldn't approve of any marriage, especially with a poor street lamp lighter like him. All throughout the night, Marigold remained awake thinking, thinking, thinking until the sweet and heaviness of sleep encompassed her.

   When Marigold awoke, she convinced herself that she would marry a rich man to save her father grief and anxiety. As usual, she went to Sally's Dresses and worked as hard as ever, allowing her emotions to be threaded into her heart, just like the thread into her dress. At noon sharp, Fidi came into the shop to pick up the rose ball gown but told Sally that unfortunately the lady whom the dress was made for had to leave for some urgent business in Italy. He mentioned that he'd love to allow one of the girls working in the shop to have a little taste of elegance and would appreciate inviting one of girl’s to substitute the previous lady’s date with him. The girls quietly chattered and wished that they would be the lucky girl to dance with Fidi until midnight and wear and eat splendid things. Sally told Fidi that Marigold would go because she was the "nicest flower in all the bunch." Fidi was delighted and especially told Marigold to look her best and arrive promptly at his mansion at eight o' clock in the evening.

   When Marigold arrived home early, excused from work to prepare for the night, she told her father the good news who rejoiced as much as one can when in bed with a cold. Marigold counted her blessings and borrowed one of Sally's most intricate dresses fit for the occasion. Sally and the girls wished her well and off she went in a horse carriage Fidi lent to her for the occasion. Marigold was delighted and felt like a proper Cinderella. When she arrived at Fidi’s mansion she was dazed with the marble statues and brilliance of the place. Fidi invited her in and led her down to his private courtyard. Outside the wind was chilly, but the fragrance of the flowers covered up the bitterness of the wind. After a few walks through the courtyard, Fidi led her to a bench outdoors and offered her hand in marriage. The poor girl was so blissful, peaceful, and happy that at once she said, "Yes!" Fidi at once offered her a bouquet of the most loveliest flowers she had never noticed in his courtyard and bent in to give her a kiss.

   Meanwhile, in an overgrown part of the courtyard, there was a gardener who watched Fidi ask for the girl's hand in marriage. His instincts were to rush up and save the girl but knew that she wouldn't believe him. The gardener also knew that if he spoke out against his master he would claim the same fate as the girl would. He walked behind the overgrown part in the courtyard and unlocked a small battered down chicken coop. Inside there were hundreds of little mice, spiders, weasels, and other nasty creatures who were once so very beautiful.

   "I'm sorry for disturbing you ladies, but I need your help. We need to act quickly so listen up. There is a girl, just like you, and she needs your help, but she doesn't know it yet. I need you to tell the girl that Fidi is not what she thinks he is. Act quickly while I'll end this serpent's mischief once and for all."

   After the gardener's quick speech, he unlocked all the cages inside the chicken coop and out flew all the critters united with one goal in mind.

   Fidi was leaning into the kiss when he was disrupted by the creatures. He stamped and kicked away at the critters, his anger boiling over. Marigold screamed and ran from the creatures but tripped over a root and cut her lip. A mouse scampered to her and said in a squeaky voice, "Do not be afraid, I am here to help you. I know it may be unreal to you, but I am a girl just like you. We don't have time to discuss the details but Fidi is not who you think he is! Run and never look back." The mouse turned tail and left Marigold to faint on the courtyard cobblestones.

   Meanwhile, after the gardener set the creatures free he ran out of the chicken coop and confronted the angered Fidi.

   "I am tired of the way you treat innocent people and it stops now!" shouted the gardener picking up Fidi's fallen bouquet.

   Before Fidi could react to the gardener's statement his anger surged through his veins and he turned into a despicable verdant serpent. The serpent hissed and surged toward the gardener's thigh and bit into the flesh with its long poisonous white fangs. At this point, Marigold became conscious but was useless to aid the gardener due to her bewilderment. Simultaneously, the gardener thrust the bouquet in the serpent's face. Immediately, the snake withered away until only its skin was left, but the gardener, oh the poor gardener lay on the cobblestones breathing rapidly.

   Marigold knelt by the gardener's side and wept buckets of tears for him who had risked his life for her. The blood dripped from his thigh, reminding her of the roses at home which often comforted her. The creatures began to come round the gardener, but Marigold didn't care because she only had eyes for the familiar blazing auburn hair and freckles painted onto a friendly creamy face. Marigold wept and sobbed for the streetlamp lighter until he stopped convulsing on the floor and became still with his face at peace. Marigold knew that he was lost and kissed his once lively face with all her might. Suddenly, a gust of wind pushed her back and up floated his body with pure golden light seeping through him. Rose petals encompassed him and then withered away, as if life had been pressed into him again. The wind and golden light faded away and his body was laid gently down on the unforgiving cobblestones. In a trice, the boy opened his joyful eyes, smiled, and brought Marigold down with him into a picturesque kiss.

December 18, 2020 23:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

TJ Squared
03:00 May 03, 2021

oof. Whilst I was reading this, I was like, 'Marigold, you should have gone for the sweet lamp lighter guy, not the rich and wealthy Fidi.' it appears I was right XD. It was a great romance piece and overall great job :))) L.W.

Reply

Valerie June
03:28 May 03, 2021

I think I made that too obvious. :/ Fun fact, did you know that Fidi means serpent in Greek? It was one of those times I used a hiDdEn MeAnIng behind a name. Romance is not my thing. I’ve read and watched some great pieces of romance, but I feel like nowadays they make things too cliche, you know? I try to think out of the box, but it always turns out weaker than I thought it would be. I wrote another romance story called “Chaos In the Cafe.” It breaks many cliches so yay for me! XD

Reply

TJ Squared
03:30 May 03, 2021

i like names with hidden meanings lol, like Azariah and Abner...and Adalie XD yeah, like plot twists are nearly expected now a days XD nice, it's on my list to read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:19 Mar 23, 2021

It’s 3:00 in the morning here and I’m so glad I stumbled across this 💎 gem. Perfect time for a whimsical love letter wrapped in a fairytale. I love how you name your characters and make them seem so intimate, like long lost friends. Simply lovely.

Reply

Valerie June
16:47 Mar 23, 2021

Thanks so much, this comment means a lot to me. Romance isn't my favorite genre to write, but I'm glad that I pulled it off alright. As you can see, this was my first short story ever written on Reedsy and it's really cool to see how much I've improved since my first few submissions. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maddy Faggioli
22:26 Dec 23, 2020

Loved the fairytale story! If you're looking for notes then I'd say keep consistent with your narration a little more, but other then that it was a fun and fabulous read.

Reply

Valerie June
21:08 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you so much for the advice and taking the time to read my story! I had so much fun writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoenix LaRue
17:16 Apr 25, 2021

I've begun to read your old stories as promised, and I liked this one! I loved Marigold's character, and the fantasy elements in the garden scene made it pretty intense. I was so glad the boy lived and fell in love with Marigold; it made the ending so beautiful! The story did seem to move a bit too fast at times, but I think you've improved on that since then. Excellent job!

Reply

Valerie June
19:49 Apr 25, 2021

I remember writing this one. *insert contented sigh* I'm not gonna lie, but when I first saw these weekly writing contests, I was in it for the $. After this story was written, I stopped that mentality. If I happen to win, then yay! but now I realize that's not what I was really after. I've not only improved my writing, but I've also made some friends along the way. At the end of the day, I'd take the friends/improvement option over the money. If you think this was quick paced, try reading my "Torn In Two" story! 😆 That's what I'd call a ho...

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
23:16 Apr 25, 2021

I'm glad your mindset changed. That should be what all the writers here aim to get out of it. I'd take that every day of the week, too! I'll get to that story soon, don't worry. 😉

Reply

Valerie June
00:47 Apr 26, 2021

Me too! It's been lonely since lockdown and with my asthma, I tend to stay home a lot for extra safety. When I found Reedsy, it was an opportunity of a lifetime to express everything I held in. I don't know if I'm happy about that or not. I kinda like that story because it has some Hamlet elements in it, but I kinda dislike it because it's so crazy.

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
23:03 Apr 26, 2021

I couldn't imagine having asthma. That sounds really rough. You have a love/hate relationship with it, do you? Don't worry, that's completely understandable.

Reply

Valerie June
00:06 Apr 27, 2021

It's kinda scary having asthma because I don't know how I'll react to Covid. Who knows, I could catch it and nothing could happen to me. It's a very strange virus... I certainly do have mixed feelings about that one. I think I'll read that story again and see how much I've improved just for fun! Writing has been my refuge from all the chaos that's been happening in the world, really.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:19 Mar 09, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Valerie June
02:20 Mar 14, 2021

Thanks so much for stopping by Sienna! I’m so glad that you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.