Regret

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

6 comments

Fantasy

Chapter 1

“All of those people are alive right now because of her, not you! You caused this whole situation! You aren’t a superhero and you never will be! Just leave this city all you do is cause trouble!”

Tears spring to my eyes. Is it true? Do I help no one? Does no one think I at least tried to help? I guess not. Well if I’m leaving here I’ll at least leave with my dignity. Picking myself up off the floor I start walking to the door. Not crying, no, but taking it all in. If everyone already thinks I’m bad then why not go bad? I’ll teach them all. I’ll show them all who the real Alaric Chester is.

Chapter 2

Saved the city once again. How many times do I have to do this? It’s getting boring. Pulling my hair out of its ponytail, I walk into the built in kitchen. I may be a superhero but I still have taxes and rent to pay. So no superhero lair or cave for me. Just me, my suit and the cat that visits occasionally. Being a superhero is fun and all but it’s always the same villain, always the same routine. Once you beat them once you know their weakness and it works every single time. Which gets boring after a while. I want a new villain to come into action, someone whose weakness I don’t know. Someone who will actually be a challenge to defeat.

Chapter 3

To become a supervillain I need to become bad, worse than bad, relentless. No mercy whatsoever. I need to toughen up. If everyone hates me then maybe that can fuel me. I will become the greatest supervillain alive! Muhaha. First I need a secret identity. My name shall be Payback. Everyone will fear me, and everyone will fear my name. The whole of Ireland will bow down to it’s new master. Now to attain superpowers. Every hero or villain suffers a terrible tragedy or accident and that’s how they obtained their powers, so all I need to do is make it look like an accident. A lab accident. A powerful experiment gone wrong. Rushing home to put my plan into action I set up the experiment and get ready to obtain my rightful place as a villain. Lightning strikes and thunder cracks, the process has begun.

Chapter 4 

A storm, hooray. I think sarcastically. Honestly I’m so bored, sitting on my couch eating a frozen microwave dinner watching the news ready to fly off and help people if I have to. A lightning strikes a tree nearby, Uh oh. I jump into action, changing into my suit I fly up and out into the cool night air. The tree sets ablaze and people scatter from under it. One person stays, right under the tree. I fly down.

“Sir, please move, this tree will fall any second, please sir, move,” He stares into the darkness of the sky.

The flames engulf his body, he turns black. I rush to him and fly him out just in time. Setting him down on the ground a few yards away I notice that he’s smiling. How odd. I wave a hand in front of his face, is he all right? His face is black and burnt. His teeth still shine white though. Strange. I fly off into the night and back to my apartment. I try to sleep but my mind keeps flicking back to the man. What was wrong with him? 

Chapter 5

It worked. I  have powers. I may be burnt but I now have powers. Experimenting with science is fun. I hold my hands up to the sky and shoot fire out of them. People of Ireland get ready for your worst nightmare. Payback has arrived and he won’t leave until I get the love and power I deserve.  

Chapter 6

Fire in the sky? That’s not right. Out I go, again. Sighing, I pull on my suit ready to fly. I reach the scene and it’s the same man from before. Less burnt now. He stares at me, and holds his hands up as if surrendering. What did he do? I stand in his line of fire not knowing what he can do. Fire shoots from his palms and goes straight past my head. A villain. A new one! Finally.   Now it gets exciting. I have water powers, does he know this? No, he doesn’t. Time to defeat the new guy. Aiming my water I throw it at his hands. Surely that's the source of his fire. He lifts up off the ground and deflects my water blast. We fight for an hour, deflecting eachother’s shots. I hit him once. He goes down for a few seconds but immediately comes back up again. How do I defeat him? Is he invincible? I regret wishing for a new supervillain. I don’t know how to defeat this guy, and I’m exhausted. I need a plan of action, so I can escape. An illusion. Perfect. I fly to a corner and replicate myself with my powers. My doppelgangers hang around me waiting for their instructions. 

“Go fight the fiery villain while I go and rest,” They all nod and fly away to the villain. I creep around the back of a building and detransform. He won’t recognise me this way, I can tire him out fighting those dopplegangers.  Lying down I let my eyelids close, just for a second, I tell myself. I won’t be long.

Chapter 7

There’s so many of her. How do I fight her? How do I get my revenge on these people. Fire shoots from my hands towards one of the illusions. It goes straight through and the illusion disappears. This is taking too long. I fly up further into the sky. Creating a circle of fire around me, I target all of the illusions and shoot. They all disappear. Where did the real one go? I didn’t know it would take this long to defeat one superhero. Flying down, I scour the ground, she has to be here somewhere. I regret wanting to be a villain. Getting revenge is meant to be fun, and I’;m meant to be relentless but I’m not and getting revenge isn’t fun, it’s tiring and kinda boring. I’ll just head home. I fly back to my lair. Destroying the world and getting power isn’t as fun as it seems. I’ll just go on living my life like normal. But now I can teach people better. If they mistreat me well, they’re messing with the wrong person. The thing I regret most is being involved in the accident. I’m burnt for life and I don’t think my brain will ever function properly again. 

Chapter 8

Where is he? How long have I been asleep? I regret sleeping and resting. Did my doppelgangers fight him and defeat him? Or did they tire him out and now he’s gone back to his secret lair? Either way, I can't keep this city safe. And I will no matter how hard the villains are. Clenching my fists I vow that I will never stop fighting. I will wait until he comes back. To claim his revenge…

June 29, 2020 01:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Lynn Penny
20:39 Jul 04, 2020

This was a great take on the prompt, amazing job!

Reply

00:41 Jul 08, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Khizra Aslam
14:14 Jul 08, 2020

A good story! Keep writing and sharing ❤

Reply

21:19 Jul 08, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:37 Jul 08, 2020

Fantastic story!

Reply

02:48 Jul 08, 2020

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.