0 comments

Bedtime Drama Fantasy

There once lived cheerfully together, in a fine house, a turtle shell Cat and a lovely white Dog: the Cat's name was Tittums; the Dog's, Fido. 

In course of time the beautiful Dog fell head over heels for the Cat, and just hung tight for a decent opportunity to reveal his expressions of warmth. This came one day, when Tittums had put her paws on the bumper, dropped her head a little on one side, half shut her eyes, and appeared considering nothing by any stretch of the imagination. 

Then, at that point Fido, who lay extended at full length upon the hearth-mat, taken a gander at her, and hurling a delicate cry, said,

"Gracious, Tittums, I've experienced passionate feelings for!" 

"In fact!" answered the reasonable Cat, not wishing to show him how restless she was. 

"Indeed, in fact," proceeded with the little Doggy, fairly hurt at her briskness: "It's you that I've experienced passionate feelings for. Do you like me, Tittums?" 

However, Tittums would not reply, even with a solitary murmur r! furthermore, it was uniquely upon her giving him a wily post of the side of her left eye that he thought about the amount she loved him. Notwithstanding, made intense by even this little badge of regard, he came unobtrusively up, and sat close by; going up until now, finally, as to take her out for a short stroll down the nursery way, where they glanced through the railings at individuals cruising by. 

"Well," said Fido to himself, "I have no uncertainty except for she will cherish me on schedule; all 

the more, as I have incredible any expectations of becoming greater before the spring." 

Yet, one morning, when Tittums rolled in from a visit she had been paying her mamma, she was trailed by a man of his word from the jungles, who, with all insolence, made himself comfortable, squeezed Tittums' paw to his heart, called her "the loveliest of Cats," requested that she oblige him with a melody, which he had been told she could sing pleasantly, and never took minimal notification of poor Fido, who was sitting in the corner. To come clean, poor Fido was extremely cross, and started to snarl viciously; the more so when, regrettably, he viewed the delight with which Tittums heard this drivel. He was unable to think what right the striking outsider needed to come there unasked; for all that he had radiant red and green plumes, a dapper, expansive overflowed cap, and a gold-headed strolling stick, he was not gorgeous, that was extremely sure. 

However, Tittums was particularly struck by his appearance and bearing; his plumes 

were so lovely, he communicated in such countless dialects, yelled so horrendously and in an uproarious voice, had voyaged so a lot, and was so struck by the magnificence of Tittums, that, helpless little Cat as she was, she stopped to really focus a catch on reliable Fido, and saved all her tricky looks for Mr. Paul Parrot. 

"Exquisite Tittums," said Mr. Paul, "you should fail to remember such upstart little dogs as Fido. Pay attention to me—I am an explorer—I communicate in five dialects,— I have a royal residence made of brilliant bars, inside which is a roost fit for a lord,— I have a benefits of bread and milk and Barcelona nuts: all of which I will impart to you. To-morrow we will go for an outing into the field close to the house. Great by for the present, my dear Pussy Cat;" and he disappeared kissing his hand. 

Poor Fido cried. Insidious Tittums! 

As day followed day, Miss Puss ignored her little Dog to an ever increasing extent. She left with Mr. Paul Parrot, she sang to him, taken a gander at him, and, indeed, possibly appeared to be content when he was by. Poor Fido was consistent with his first love, albeit nearly brought to surrender; he got exceptionally slim without a doubt, and his fine thick coat, which he had kept quite perfect, became battered and filthy. 

Undoubtedly, Mr. Parrot conveyed all before him; he was so amazing, so cherishing, thus smart, that Fido from being abandoned became disdained. 

One evening, soon after dull, as he was wandering about, feeling extremely pitiful, and believing that, maybe, it is smarter to flee, he at the same time wound up in the following nursery, and keeping in mind that he was looking round him, he heard voices. 

"Exquisite Mrs. Daw," said one of the voices which he appeared to remember, "I'm an explorer—I communicate in five dialects—I have a castle made of brilliant bars, inside which is a roost fit for a ruler,— I have a benefits of bread and milk and nuts; all of which I will impart to you. To-morrow we will fly for an outing on to the extraordinary oak-tree in Farmer Hodges' field." 

"Dear me!" thought Fido, "this should be Mr. Parrot." And, adequately sure, so it was,— Mr. Parrot, for sure, and making the hottest of adoration to old Mrs. Daw, the widow of Miser Jack Daw, who, during a long life, and through taking and saving, had laid by an enormous fortune, which he had left Mrs. Daw to appreciate. 

The old widow appeared to be particularly satisfied at the glow of Mr. Paul's adoration, and almost certainly felt that each word he said was valid; scoffing round at him 

with her old eyes, and wishing that she had put on a spotless muslin cap, as it may have made her look much more youthful than she suspected she did. 

Concerning Fido, he nearly hopped for euphoria; he ran home in a hurry. 

"Goodness, Tittums!" said he, inconsiderate of her derisive looks, "what do you think I have discovered? There is that scalawag of a Paul Parrot, who imagines such a lot of adoration for you, seeking Widow Daw at the present time; and in the event that you come without a moment's delay you may see it with your own eyes." 

"Gibberish!" answered Tittums: "I don't trust it." 

"Well," said the Dog, "to persuade you, on the off chance that you will just go to the opposite side of the divider you will see that what I have said is very obvious." 

Yet, Pussy, confiding in the honor of Mr. Paul, would not accept a word, and it was solely after a lot of influence that she was instigated to hop over the divider and tune in. Mr. Paul and Mrs. Daw were all the while pursuing, and the Parrot was attempting, by persuading the old woman, to discover the amount she was worth, and where every one of her fortunes were covered up. Undoubtedly Mrs. Daw was simply about to start disclosing to him her mysterious, when Tittums, incapable to contain herself, hurried at Mr. Paul and scratched his face. 

"Goodness, you terrible Parrot!" she said; "did you not vow to wed me, and take me to your brilliant royal residence?" 

"Brilliant royal residence!" shouted Mrs. Daw: "why, you devilish bird, that is the thing that you guaranteed me. Stay, ma'am, what did he say other than?— did he guarantee you any bread and milk, or any Barcelona nuts?" 

"Indeed, he did—he did—he did," proceeded with the Cat, scratching and pawing the bogus, fickle Parrot as she talked. 

"Well," said Pussy, presently genuinely depleted, "I trust you are fulfilled: if at any point you draw close to our home once more, I'll fix each quill you have on your back;" thus she left him, taking Fido with her, who, disregarding his overall amicableness and the Parrot's fury, couldn't avoid giving him a few sharp chomps. When Mrs. Daw was left alone with Paul, she started to chide him with his erroneousness,— "You indecent, stood up, monstrous, off-kilter double crosser! you have neither trustworthiness enough to live by, nor wings enough to fly with." Whereupon she seized him and gave him such a culling as spoilt his attractive features. 

Never after this was the Parrot ready to hold up his head. Each one disdained him; even his brilliant royal residence ended up being a metal confine; and for his offenses a chain was attached round his leg. He was restricted to a wooden roost, which, out of unadulterated disdain, he was continually pecking. 

Old Widow Daw stayed discreet, and stayed unmarried. 

Tittums couldn't resist the urge to respect the consistency of Fido; and when in the spring he had become greater, and was elevated to a sweet red and dark collar, Pussy found that she adored him especially for sure, and decided never more to neglect him.— 

July 16, 2021 09:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.