74 comments

Contemporary Fiction Sad

Often, as a six year old, your mother would catch you standing on a plastic chair you somehow managed to drag all the way to the kitchen. You’d be jumping like a monkey for that tantalising jar of cookies. More horrifyingly, your mask would be lying on the floor, abandoned, for you deemed it a hindrance in your quest to reach the treasure; the cookie jar. Running being an important component of the quest, required a lot of heavy breathing from your part. Consequently, your mask was often tossed over your shoulder, possibly never to be found again.


Even when your mother would be standing in front of you, demanding an explanation for taking the mask off, you’d be plotting ways to reach the jar of cookies. Scoring one without being caught was a feat. And that was exactly when you were introduced with the idea of invisibility and aero-dynamics.


There was no stopping you, then. Your fascination with invisibility grew into an obsession. At the age of ten, you perused through all seven Harry Potter books, in search of cryptic clues which were perhaps hidden by the author who was potentially a wizard. Reading and re-reading The Shadow and the Flash, convinced that the story was an anecdote. A modern-day Don Quixote, you could say. Or a ghost, according to your fifteen year old sister. An invisible bird, perhaps. More often, a ghost. But you didn’t believe in their existence. For all the fairy-tales you read and heard, ghosts were something you could never believe in. Transforming potions and bewitching spells were perhaps plausible. But for some reason, strange to even the older you, not the ghosts. You’d snort derisively at your sister’s comparison considering her a little kid for believing in mere childish fancies created to frighten children into eating their food. Or sleeping without so much a complaint for “the ghost of the house will come to haunt you, otherwise”.


Five years later, you’d curse the younger you for your recklessness, alternating between fear and gratitude for being saved. Your obsession could have very well been your doom. Masks weren’t hindrances, they were life-savers. Global warming was rampant all around the globe. Even the greenest of countries felt its effect. The hospitals were running out of oxygen tanks and beds. Neighbours refused to help for fear they’d run out of resources themselves. Air-purifiers ran out of stock. Every family had two in each of their rooms. But to no one it occurred, that perhaps a tree should be planted. You didn’t blame them though. 

People didn’t think about things for which the world had no space.


***

You wake up, disoriented and confused as to where you are. You’re lying in a large park of sorts with a vaguely familiar and huge building behind you. It is a marvel to behold. A rare sight in the modern world where there is little space for large things. You feel as if you’ve misplaced something. As if something is wrong. And it hits you. You’re not wearing a mask. And the air is purer than the water from ROs. 

Everything is wrong, you think to yourself. It’s not the way it’s supposed to be. There is little noise; the only ones being hens clucking and dogs barking; animals long extinct. It must be a dream, you finally decide.


You get up unsteadily and stop for a moment. You feel surprisingly light as if you’re a puff of cloud. You decide to explore the grounds around the building of which you’re convinced is a house; it’s just a gut feeling which tells you so, even if it’s structure makes it impossible to be one. You come across a small patch of flowers on one of the corners as you walk along the wall of the house. There’s several plants you can’t recognise so you don’t bother and continue walking.

You find yourself confronting a large gloomy grey wall projecting from the house as you circle it and come to the backyard. Interestingly, this part of the building doesn’t have any windows or doors. Curiosity overcomes you and you wonder if you can scale it to see what lies inside the enclosure behind this building. 

You feel a weight on your right shoulder, albeit very light but it startles you. You turn around to face your father who determinedly steers you away from the wall.

“Nice orchids, huh?” He says, conversationally. You nod and he grins. “Your grandma grows them, no surprise they look so beautiful.”

“Grandma? Isn’t she de-Oh, where’s everyone?” A feeling nags at the back of your head but disappears completely before you can grasp what it is. A terrible longing and its fulfillment, perhaps. You aren’t quite sure.

“They are inside the house.” Your dad gestures to the house. So you were right after all; it is a house. “Come on, let’s go in. It’s probably time for lunch.”


You walk lightly on the cobbled path leading towards the large old-fashioned house sitting sedately in front of you. You feel like this place is in your bones. As soon as you enter the house you’re engulfed by the scent of gulab-jamuns and a dough-clad hug which leaves you breathless for a while. You recognise the white-haired strong woman as your grandma as memories of a three-year old you and her gush through your mind in a race to reach consciousness first.  She examines you critically, eyeing you from head to toe as if it’s an examination. “Ri, you’re starving the poor child,” she says to your mother who is reclining on the sofa chatting with grandpa. She laughs dismissively, used to grandma’s critical appraisal. Grammy loses no time in ushering you to the kitchen, stuffing a handful of gulab-jamuns in your mouth, all the while telling you about the good ol’ days. You feel content, sitting there listening to grandma talking. It’s as if a piece of you which was wrenched long ago is put back in place. 

***

You’re out, lying in the park watching the clouds lazily roll by. Your whole family is sitting around, chatting and laughing. You breathe deeply, enjoying the pure, fresh air. It’s a first for you. You feel an ecstasy you never felt before. You long to dance wildly but you stay put, the gentle breeze wafting across your face sending strands of hair to smack you right in the eyes. The breeze pushes you over and you exclaim in surprise, as that feeling of lightness returns. The ghost of a smile appears on your lips as your sister laughs at you. Her laughter turns into an exclamatory yell as the breeze pushes her over, too. You’re confused but you don’t ask, seeing no one else does, either.

The low hum of chattering falls down and your whole family joins you in gazing at the never-ending blue, the colourful butterflies flitting about and unseen birds singing their compositions with pride.

***

You’re all gathered for a family lunch. Your white-bearded grandfather stares at you from under his bushy eyebrows from across the table. You fiddle nervously, almost dropping your spoon under his sharp gaze. The usual scrutiny, you think to yourself. It is a running trait in the family, to scrutinise and critique every person you come across. He utters a deep rumble. You have passed the test. Congratulations.

Suddenly, there’s footsteps and noise in the hallway. You look at your dad who’s looking at his dad with a sort of nervous expression. He clears his throat.

“Why don’t we go to the-uh-park to eat? It’s quite sunny and nice,” he says cheerily. Everyone agrees and your sister is about to usher you out of the room when a sob echoes in the corridor and there’s someone in the room. Aunt Ashima.

You rush forward to meet her but she looks past you–as if she can’t see you. The next moment, you’re dragged out of the room and that’s the end of it. No questions asked.


***

It’s been a busy day, running all about the place, looking at this, taking pictures of that. You snuggle into bed contentedly and listen to your sister brushing her teeth. After some time, she switches off the light. Soon, her gentle snores fill the room. You shift slightly, staring into the dark, unable to fall asleep. After a few minutes of restless fidgeting, you pad out silently, and glide outside. An audible gasp escapes you as you take in the surroundings. The full moon looks beautiful, surrounded by innumerous stars. You’ve never seen this many stars at once. The shining dew drops seem like diamonds adorning the flowers and grass like jewellery. They tilt slightly, as if they are dancing as the wind becomes stronger. You shiver, drawing the shawl around you tightly even as it flaps in the wind. You wonder whether you should go back inside or take a stroll. You suddenly remember something—someplace, rather.

“You can do anything you want to, here.” Your sister grins mischievously.

“Anything?” you repeat incredulously, remembering years of “you’re not to go there and you’re not to do that.” But of course, there’s a but.

“Except you can’t visit the grounds behind the house. Until you’re seventeen.”

“Why not?” You ask. 

Your mother suddenly appears out of nowhere and that is the end of the topic.

You tried sneaking away to the place all afternoon but all in vain. Someone would suddenly appear around you and that would be the end of it. But everyone is asleep now. You take off, circling the house until you’re almost at the back. There’s a cement wall between you and whatever lies behind the house. Knowing you would be unable to scale it, you turn away in disappointment. There’s a strong wind now, which almost takes you off the ground. And then you realise it. You already are off the ground. The bizarreness of the situation makes your heart jump into your mouth. A numbing nervousness takes over you and you find yourself being lifted higher and higher. You flap your hands about desperately, trying to catch hold of anything which will keep you from flying any further. They graze the top of the cement wall and you grasp it tightly. Your head bobs slightly above the wall and you see a sight which makes you blink twice. Cold hard stones buried into the ground with words carved on them. One of them especially catches your eye and it makes you feel like you’re about to faint. You’re about to let go of the wall, both with shock and weakness, never having had stamina to hold on for long when a hand clutches your foot and you’re down on the ground.

Your father looks at you grimly. An unasked question lies in the air between you and him. So you answer, anyway, for there’s no use denying it now. You saw it, alright.

The cemetery and the words on the headstone at the end.

January 01, 2022 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

74 comments

Philia S
16:23 Jan 01, 2022

A/N: This story is inspired by a real life friend of mine. Thanks to her for that! Also, I haven't written in quite a while so this isn't my best piece. Critique is very welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Philia

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
07:43 Jan 24, 2022

Hey, Philia! Sorry it took me so long to reread this for you. I like the second person way you wrote, as I said before. And I really like all the edits you've made to the story, it cleared up quite a few things for me that were slightly confusing before. But there were still a few slightly muddled things that I didn't really understand. Nonetheless, I think this was a beautiful writing piece, and the ending really hits you. Though I think different people will imagine different things, was that your intention? Liv

Reply

Philia S
10:00 Jan 24, 2022

Oh no, it's fine! :D Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. "But there were still a few slightly muddled things that I didn't really understand." Could you please tell which parts? Again, thanks! I really appreciate you dropping by thrice. :D

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:13 Feb 09, 2022

Hmm...I was slightly confused by why she had to wear a mask and why she woke up in an alternate reality. Also, I was wondering why you chose to write second person? Was there a specific impact you were trying to achieve with it?

Reply

Philia S
01:14 Feb 10, 2022

I tried to make it dystopian, actually. I tried imagining the stuff which might happen if we don't act actively upon global warming? She dies, lol. Yep! I was trying to say that the MC could be you irl.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
07:02 Jan 03, 2022

Hey, I'm back!! So, I really liked your story, Philia!! I especially like the second-person point of view, it's pretty hard to write like that and you did a fantastic job! I really love this line you wrote, "The shining dew drops seem like diamonds adorning the flowers and grass like jewellery." The description is extremely elegantly done, it helps me visualize the scene perfectly. Can't wait to read more and happy writing! -Liv

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:23 Jan 19, 2022

Please fill this form to get to read a story about your character: https://forms.gle/CsGXbcPmVs8dDxmM7 How are you, Livia?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
07:20 Jan 22, 2022

Heyyyyyy, I'm doing well!! How about you?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
09:12 Jan 22, 2022

I am doing great! I have written a few stories and blog posts, want to check them out?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:11 Feb 09, 2022

I'd love to!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:47 Feb 10, 2022

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Basmati Rice
11:28 Jan 02, 2022

SUE, SUE, MY LOVELY, AMAZING, DEAREST SUE I spy with my eyes, A MASTERPIECE ~ the ending really got me, leaving me quite sad and this story was so... Different in a way? It did felt rushed but I'm not blaming you, you wrote this in half a day It was really good :DD EDIT: OH MY GOSH THIS VERSION IS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ace Quinnton
19:56 Mar 15, 2023

Philia. I'm back. It's been so long since I've been on here, and it's mainly because it got blocked from my device until it stopped, so now I'm back. I'm so sorry for ghosting you unintentionally. :'< I'll be reading this story of yours though soon enough.

Reply

Philia S
06:49 Apr 14, 2023

It's perfectly fine! I disappeared too for a little while xD Lovely to see you again! :) How have you been? Writing anything lately?

Reply

Ace Quinnton
15:10 May 05, 2023

Lots of things, but off of reedsy, which I will be getting back to doing soon. School's almost out for me, so I think I'll finally be able to write more stories for y'all once again. :)

Reply

Philia S
02:45 May 06, 2023

Yayayay! Hope to see more of Seemingly empty :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:49 Dec 17, 2022

Hey, uh, random, but I need some writing advice... I've really changed genres and kinda wanna give my acc a makeover.

Reply

Philia S
18:01 Dec 17, 2022

i'm not the best person to ask tbh XD but sure loll i see i see, what genres are you writing now? (and how are you lol long time no talk)

Reply

22:43 Jan 10, 2023

I'm good!I've been offline since I've been way buay. ...Have you heard of Helluva Boss? That's kind of the genre I'm writing in: edgy but silly, and kinda adult, only mine is less adult since that stuff doesn't really appeal to me as much.

Reply

Philia S
10:58 Jan 12, 2023

Nice! :) Yes, I have lol, I actually found it through Stolas's Lament--but I haven't watched it. Oooh nice! Have you posted any stories like that here? I would love to read. :))

Reply

21:31 Jan 25, 2023

Not in a while, Everything is too long or too short, but I will soon!

Reply

Philia S
06:55 Jan 27, 2023

same TvT lmk when you do!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
17:23 Sep 21, 2022

Hey hey hey!!!!!!! Long time no read? What happened, comarade?

Reply

Philia S
23:34 Sep 26, 2022

Exams. TvT Wby?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:32 Sep 27, 2022

Same here yaar, same here. Atleast mere 30 ko khatam ho rahe hain

Reply

Philia S
14:17 Sep 27, 2022

Mine finished today lol. Good luck! You got this. :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:21 Sep 28, 2022

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
04:09 Aug 31, 2022

heyyy hru?

Reply

Philia S
14:16 Sep 27, 2022

Hey :) Just wanted to say, I'll miss you tremendously but it's okay. I hope the stars light your way throughout. I'll be praying. <3 He's got this. And to answer your question, I'm fine. Wby? (If you see this comment, that is)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey Philia, how are you?

Reply

Philia S
16:11 Aug 20, 2022

Heyo! Long time, no talk. :) I'm alright-struggling with art projects. XD Wby?

Reply

What kind of art projects are you doing? I'm very happy. I just wrote another story for Reedsy.

Reply

Philia S
06:48 Aug 21, 2022

Tis for school. XD A canvas painting and a portrait. That's lovely! I'll read it as soon as I can. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:31 Aug 02, 2022

heyyyy how’s it going??

Reply

Philia S
08:33 Aug 02, 2022

WOLFIEEEEE YOU IS BACK- thas wonderful indeed! :DDDDD How was camp? And how are you? Missa's gonna be back in a week too. :D

Reply

TJ Squared
17:02 Aug 02, 2022

hewoooo :D camp was awesomeeeeeee and now i’m stuck with ✨homesickness✨ but besides that, i’m doing swell :D yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy i’m so excited :))))

Reply

Philia S
17:51 Aug 08, 2022

IM SO SORRY FOR RESPONDING LATE- TvT ~school~ oof-but me's glad twas swell- hOPE YOU STILL ARE DOIN GREAT :D

Reply

TJ Squared
18:11 Aug 08, 2022

don’t worry about it :) you’re good yesh :))) Yepppp still pretty great, maybe even better than great :D downright joyful :DDD hru doing?

Reply

Philia S
21:02 Aug 08, 2022

:) That's lovely indeed! :D Yeet some o dat joy over here wontcha- xD how's shifting? me's fine-jus up readin a lovely book xD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
02:55 Jun 15, 2022

what it like being an quesadilla?

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
02:56 Jun 15, 2022

And also, how do you not eat yourself? Quesadilla are delicious

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:35 Jun 06, 2022

Hello!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
15:42 May 29, 2022

I saw u liked my story, pls comment your reviews

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
18:22 May 26, 2022

Hey! Where are you? Why has Reedsy been so boring lately? (copy-pasting this to a lot of people as I'm BoReD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aeris Walker
14:33 Apr 30, 2022

“People didn’t think about things for which the world had no space.” This was such a powerful line and packed a lot of truth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
17:08 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
15:46 Apr 13, 2022

You know Sapphire? We have a collab coming up on my blog at 04:06 p.m. IST tomorrow (April 14). Do check it out, here's the link (https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
13:35 Apr 04, 2022

Gonna miss you (more details in bio) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:40 Apr 03, 2022

Woah, very intriguing story! I get the sense that it's futuristic with the masks and climate change. I love the details you instilled into this story; they're very marvelous. I also like how we caught a glimpse at 'your' life from the second-person perspective. 1 small critique: "You’re about to let go of the wall, both with shock and weakness, never having had stamina to hold on for long when a hand clutches your foot and you’re down on the ground." --> I think that before 'stamina', inserting 'the' would be wise. Other than that, really...

Reply

Philia S
19:16 Apr 04, 2022

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I believe I can't edit the story anymore. The plot wasn't too great, I admit, but I appreciate your feedback. Thanks, again. :D I'll read yours soon.

Reply

23:52 Apr 18, 2022

Aw, that's too bad. Maybe you can save it on a document? No problem :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
.. .
19:39 Feb 28, 2022

woah...The end was really good! great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.