37 comments

Sad Fiction Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

 It was a beautiful winter night in a small town. There was a half-naked tree in front of the house and the full moon was playing hide and seek with the clouds. In this game of light and dark, once there was darkness then light, and then again darkness.

A beautiful young, girl of sixteen with light brown, curly hair was lying on the bed and reading a book.

 Then there was a shout, “ Joy… dinner is ready, come fast.” She shouted back “okay Mom.“

Then, she excitedly ran downstairs. She hugged and kissed her mother who was sitting at the dining table. She was a thin, brown lady of thirty-nine, and had dark circles on her face.

 The appetizing smell of Biryani was scattered in the house.

 “How’s the Biryani?” Mother asked.

“Delicious like a meal of Paradise” the Daughter replied.

The mother gave an adorable smile.

After a long pause, Joy broke the silence” How was your day?”

“Today, I taught the students about Hemingway, you know that he motivates the people through his writings, and he gives light to the people. Though he failed to find light for himself in the real life.”

“O my sweet pessimistic mom, pass me salad please.” Then, by taking a slice of cucumber in her hand she said, “you can’t judge cucumber without tasting it.”

Mother took cucumber from her daughter’s hand and while eating said, “you can’t judge life without undergoing its trials. Life is beyond imagination, unpredictable and cruel “

“ your life was difficult, it does not mean that life is ugly and not worth living. It’s beautiful.”

“O my little princess, it’s beautiful unless you encounter its dark side.”

Joy picked up the dishes and all the stuff and cleaned the table. Then she moved to the window where her mother was standing and staring at the moon, hidden by the clouds. What do you want?” Joy asked.

Without taking her eye off the moon she replied,” I want to see you a strong woman.”

“And what makes a woman strong?”

“A woman is strong if she is financially strong. A woman must be able to survive on her own. When a woman completely depends on a man she becomes his slave.” Mother turned and held her daughter by the shoulders “ and I can not see you a slave, there is nothing worse than slavery on the land.”

She sat down on the couch, silence prevailed for a while then she spoke with a low tone “ my father was not a bad man but I was always scared of him. I remained his slave for twenty winters, then one day I got married and my master was replaced. I was again standing alone in the middle of the dark sea, on a dark, long stormy night. And I was about to drown when I realized your presence in my womb. Motherhood gave me strength. And now, I’m losing that strength. Oh! I’m too tired. I think I need sleep, a long sleep.” And she went.

“Good night Mom.” Daughter said.

The doorbell rang and a six feet tall and good-looking young man of twenty-one entered the house.

“You, Mr. Ahsan Hayat khan why did you come here,” joy asked.

“Where is Mrs. Khan?”

“O shut up, you know well, she doesn’t like you, just get lost from here.”

“O come on, she is my uncle’s widow and it’s my moral duty to look after you.”

“It’s not your fucking duty. You better stay out of it.”

“Don’t see things from your mother’s eye. I’m not your enemy. You are an adult now. In the future, you will marry. So, You should not hate men. A woman is incomplete without the love of a man.”

“what you want to do?” joy said.

“I just want to see you happy.”

“You better not think about me.”

“Calm down, I just came to see you. I swear I don’t have false intention.”

She took a deep breath, “Alright “

“Is everything ok?” Mr. khan asked

“Yes, all ok”

“Shall we go out for a walk? It’s beautiful outside.

“Let’s go”

She turned off all the lights in the house then she and Mr. Khan walked out on the road. There was no traffic, no streetlight. They walked along the moon to the Sea.

“This Sea is the pride of this small town.” Said Mr. khan “ just like you are the pride of your mother. To be a single mother is a difficult job, you know but Mrs. Khan is a strong lady. She suffered throughout her life but she never defeated.”

“But a long struggle makes you sick and tired.” Joy mumbled.

“What?“

“She seems strange nowadays.”

“Strange?”

“Her behavior. She behaves strangely.”

“Don’t worry, she will be okay. I’m always there for you, my beauty. You are not alone now.”

She looked at him and said nothing.

“Every man is not bad , you are old enough to judge people, you should not follow your mother’s words.”

“what the hell do you want to say?”

“Exactly this, girls of your age do not behave like this. You should not be so aggressive.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean that.”

“I know, you are worried about your mother.”

“Exactly, she will be angry if she saw us together, I should leave now, it’s too late.”

“Stay for a few moments,” Mr. Khan said by holding her hand “do you know love has magic?”

“Magic?” said Joy

Mr. Khan kissed her passionately “did you feel that?”

“You can’t manipulate.”

“I’m not manipulating. Can’t you feel the touch of my love in this winter breeze?” Mr. Khan kissed her again passionately.

The clouds thundered and suddenly it started raining. Darkness prevailed everywhere. They ran towards the cottage near the sea. “There is no one in the cottage “ Joy said.

“Yes, it’s mine.” Said Mr. Khan

“You live here?”

“No, but I often came here to enjoy nature”.

They stayed together till dawn. When she woke up with the whistling of birds she ran toward home. “oh shit.” She locked herself in the room. “ It was a nightmare or reality? I can’t believe, I was not in my senses. Like I was drunk but I was not. I’m sure he must done some black magic on me or perhaps I was possessed by an evil spirit. Whatever.” She looked into the mirror “I’m no more Virgin. I lost my virginity but with that person. Oh my God. Mom will never forgive me for this. She will die if she comes to know. No, no, no. She will never come to know about this dark secret. I will never let it happen.” She took a deep breath and went to sleep.

 ***

The next night, when she entered her bedroom after dinner, she was shocked to see Mr. Khan in her room.

“What the hell, when you come and where you entered from and why did you come now?”

“Relax, I Just come to see you, my love.”

“O shut up, you manipulator.”

“ It was an expression of love and you call it manipulation. That’s not fair.”

“I’m already upset. Just leave.” Joy said.

“Okay, I’ll.” Mr. Khan said and tries to kiss.

But Joy slapped him “Don’t you dare, you bastard.”

Mr. Khan slapped her in response. “Don’t you dare. Otherwise.”

“Otherwise. What?”

“Otherwise I’ll tell your mother everything about last night.”

“She. She will never believe you. She trusts me.”

Mr. Khan laughed. “She will definitely when I’ll tell her about the mole in the middle of your breast.”

“What you want?”

“I want to make my every night like last night. Special and beautiful.”

“You are trying to blackmail?”

“No, I’m not trying. I’m doing.”

“Oh, God. I’m so stupid. I thought that night was an expression of love. We both just fell astray in passion. I was thinking it was the most beautiful night of my life. I was just worried about Mom. But I was wrong. Whatever you said was a trap. Just a trap. You never loved my Pilgrim soul. Oh God, how stupid I’m.” she cried.

“So finally, you confessed that you enjoyed it. Hurry up let’s do it again, my beauty, my love, my lady.”

“Your slave now.” Joy said.

 ***

The next night, mother said, “Joy, you are not slept yet. Go inside and sleep. It’s too late.”

Joy was standing in the front yard of the house, staring at the naked tree. “ It is losing its leaves. It is dead. Without leaves it’s dead.”

“No, it is not dead. It will be green again when the spring will come.” Mrs. khan said.

“How it will survive till the coming of spring without its leaves. It’s not easy Mom.”

“Nothing is easy in this world my daughter. Look at the tree, though it has lost all its leaves still it is standing strong with all its pride.”

“Not every tree has the courage, Mom.”

“Your belief is your courage. Nothing in this world is permanent neither Winter nor Spring ” She patted her back and then she went.

“Everything is changing. How will I handle this?” She fell on her knees and cried while seeing up to the sky, “Oh God, I'm dead, my soul is bleeding. Please help me out. O God—Lord of all worlds please forgive me, and have mercy on me.” She stood up, “I can't take it anymore. I'll tell Mom. I'll tell her everything. She will trust me. Of course she will. I will do it. I will do it as soon as possible." After some time she went to her bedroom where Mr. Khan was already waiting for her.

The same night the mother saw Mr. Khan leaving her daughter’s bedroom. “what the hell, you were doing in my daughter’s room.” She asked.

 “I was come just to say good night to your dear daughter. Mrs. Khan" He replied.

“what the hell?”

"Yes because she can not sleep without my night kiss."

“Shut up, you liar.”

“You know it well, that I couldn't be there in her bedroom without your daughter's will.”

"No, you must be lying. She is innocent."

"yes, she is innocent, though she sleeps with me every night. Every night."

Mrs. Khan slapped him with her full force and said. “I will kill you. Don’t you dare to talk shit about my daughter.”

"Relax, she loves me and I also love her but you don't love me, I know. Don't you worry I'm not going to marry her. Because I can't hurt you. My sweet aunt, Good night. Oh yes one more thing, I love that mole in the middle of her breasts." He said and left the house.

Mrs. Khan was frozen for some time then she uttered, " I'm too tired. I need rest now." and she went to her bedroom. In the morning she was found dead. “Hell—what an evil place to rest.” Was written on the wall with the blood.

November 30, 2022 06:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Wendy Kaminski
16:59 Nov 30, 2022

This story felt so hopeless for Joy (such irony in her name). I feel like Mr. Khan should be rotting in hell, hopefully soon. Your stories always bring a lovely cultural angle which I don't often encounter, and I want to say thank you for sharing that, even though parts of it are not always good (and that is brave to share even so). I liked your story very much!

Reply

Samreen Fatima
05:19 Dec 01, 2022

Thank you Kaminski. I was afraid that who will want to read a depressing story but I'm glad you liked it. Thank you.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
05:23 Dec 01, 2022

You are most welcome! 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:00 Dec 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Samreen Fatima
10:25 Dec 04, 2022

You are right, warning to all young women was the main purpose of the story. And secondly, the sufferings of the poor mother. I often wonder what is the end of all human suffering. Is it death or perhaps death is a new beginning? 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
00:08 Dec 06, 2022

Your language is poetic. Well done. The serious topic is handled well and you address a serious situation with skill.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
01:49 Dec 06, 2022

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:46 Dec 06, 2022

You’re welcome.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
05:00 Dec 06, 2022

☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nayab Sherazi
14:45 Dec 05, 2022

It's epic and life L0ng lesson for young ladies!

Reply

Samreen Fatima
01:47 Dec 06, 2022

Yeah, thanks for feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
04:10 Dec 05, 2022

This is a very tragic story from a much more traditional context than many, if not most, Western countries where innocence is often lost at an early age and where cynicism is many instances considered more appetizing than innocence. For Mrs. Khan's sake, I hope death is new, less painful beginning.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
10:31 Dec 05, 2022

Hope so. 🙂 I think for some life is a continuous struggle. Well, thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:08 Dec 04, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Samreen Fatima
10:12 Dec 04, 2022

Thank you Hannah. Thanks for this precious comment. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
14:01 Apr 01, 2023

Though your story gives us a perspective into your culture, the bottom line is the relationship you describe and what happens is, sadly, not unlike similar situations world-wide. The theme of entitled men and abused women is universal. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
04:05 Apr 02, 2023

Thanks for your lovely feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
00:34 Jan 20, 2023

don't stop! I was still reading this! What a great movie this will be! I pictured what each character looked like, heard them speaking . Please develop the story more about awful Mr Khan. Great but sad and could be very scary book! Thank you for taking the time to read mine!

Reply

Samreen Fatima
05:24 Jan 20, 2023

Thank you, LJ. Thanks for commenting. I never tried the sequel but I'll someday. And it was my pleasure to read your story. Money, money, money. That's what a modern man wants. And the result of it was awful, scary. You are very good at description.

Reply

L J
23:46 Jan 20, 2023

thank you ! I appreciate that. I will keep that in mind when I do these. Looking forward to your next one

Reply

Samreen Fatima
05:11 Jan 21, 2023

Okay LJ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ksenija Rubež
13:27 Jan 19, 2023

Hello Samreen, An upsetting story and I just cannot imagine how many more girls are out there just like Joy. When it comes to Mr. Khan, what pops up in my mind is my friend saying "This person needs to die as soon as possible"

Reply

Samreen Fatima
15:14 Jan 19, 2023

Hello Ksenija Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Summers
12:11 Jan 19, 2023

This story pulled me along with it, the cultural aspect was interesting to read. I have some questions, I hope you don't mind, the story left me wanting more! The Khan character, he was a cousin of Joy? Why couldn't he be in Joy's room without consent? Was she drugged the first time? Or was it lust? Was Mrs Khan in Hell? Or going to hell? And why did she die?

Reply

Samreen Fatima
15:10 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you, Jane. I'm glad you liked it. Let me answer your questions respectively. Yes, Mr. Khan was a cousin of Joy. And he couldn't be in her room without her consent at midnight because it's immoral secondly, their family relationships were not good. She was seduced for the first time, as she was disturbed about her mother and she was easy prey to Mr. Khan. Then you asked about Mrs. Khan's death. She died because she suffered throughout her life and now she is tired and weak. Joy was her only hope to live but what she did was not acce...

Reply

Jane Summers
15:18 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you for your response. It's a sad story. And it's sad that culture can bring such pain to women.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
15:47 Jan 19, 2023

You are very welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
10:04 Jan 19, 2023

“You can’t judge life without undergoing its trials…….” I was hooked as soon as I read this . Achingly beautiful . Very good story Samreen

Reply

Samreen Fatima
14:14 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you Mary. Thanks for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Larson
20:52 Dec 14, 2022

I very much enjoyed your story. It was very thought provoking with a cultural feel to it as well. Keep up the good writing!

Reply

Samreen Fatima
03:38 Dec 15, 2022

Thank you Lonnie. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:45 Dec 11, 2022

A tragic story Samreen. It has a kind of universal feel in that it’s a warning to avoid being trapped by someone who does not have a person’s best interests at heart and just takes without giving back. The ending seems drastic, but not in the context of the story. Thought-provoking.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
04:35 Dec 12, 2022

Thanks Helen. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
07:08 Dec 11, 2022

Such a sad ending. Thirty nine is young , too young to be so jaded. Many young people travel to other countries and find happiness in other cultures. Hope this is not autobiographical. Take heart dear child if it be so.

Reply

Samreen Fatima
10:21 Dec 11, 2022

Thanks Mary. And it's not autobiographical. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arsalan Haider
10:09 Dec 09, 2022

Very nice and lovely story ☺️

Reply

Samreen Fatima
01:18 Dec 10, 2022

Thanks for reading.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.