The Great Train Robbery of 1398

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Start your story with someone looking out a train window.... view prompt

3 comments

Urban Fantasy

Francis looked out the train window. He was in a private First Class car: Fine trimmings along the wall, a chandelier, and full of people dressed up for Christmas Eve dinner. The place smelled like roast turkey and apple pie with whipped cream. Not his idea of a good time, but a ride on this particular train was always a special treat.

The train jolted a little as it moved away from the platform as the shades who checked travel documents floated through the aisle. 

He turned to see if Molly was enjoying herself, but she was lying down with her eyes closed: She looked comfortable enough, though. Maybe she just needed a nap after their adventures yesterday - or perhaps this was how she always slept.

“She's probably tired from all that running around,” Francis thought to himself. “And then there’s the fact that we’re traveling through time.”

The train chugged along, its wheels making a low-pitched humming sound. In front of them rose an endless expanse of snow-covered fields and forests. Before long though, Francis could hear a sparking sound from further up the tracks as the train's time mechanism engaged.

A few moments later, the landscape abruptly began to change. Instead of snow, they were soon surrounded by green grass. Suddenly, the train was passing through a pastoral landscape. There were no buildings—only open farmland stretching off into the distance. Sheep could be seen grazing peacefully in the fields.

"We're moving north," said Molly, sitting up and looking out the window. "I think we've passed the town."

Francis had forgotten that she knew nothing of the world outside of what he had shown her. "That's right. We need to get off here."

She got up from the seat. "Why?" she asked.

"Because this isn't our present day yet. We need to get back to our own time before Mr. Havercamp notices that I'm gone."

Molly shook her head. "But what will happen to the other children? And why did you leave us in the first place?"

Francis sighed. "It's complicated, and I don't have all the answers."

Soon, the train pulled into a station in the middle of what Frances considered to be a desolate spot. The two of them stepped off the train onto a snowy field and walked over to the side of the track where an old fashioned black car waited for them. A man in a driver's uniform next to the vehicle stepped forward.

"Francis and Molly?" He asked.

"Yes," replied Molly. "Who are you?"

The man smiled. "My name is Karl. I work for Mr. Havercamp's company. He sent me ahead to meet you, since your arrival was rather unexpected."

Francis shivered: that means Mr. Havercamp had already noted his disappearance. He nodded at the driver and followed him inside the car to the backseat along with Molly.

"Please buckle in," said Karl. "Mr. Havercamp wanted to meet you himself, but he has business to attend to back in New York."

Francis was not looking forward to seeing Mr. Havercamp - especially with Molly in tow. Wait... was he getting attached to the little street urchin? That would be dangerous.

Suddenly, the car lurched forward. There was a loud clank as they slid across the frozen ground. Then, they were on their way again.

"Where are we going?" Molly asked, tugging at Francis' sleeves. "We can't go directly to the mansion; I've heard that it's in a very bad part of town."

Francis glanced over to Karl, who was driving the car. "Are we heading to the city?"

Karl nodded. "I'm afraid so."

As the car sped along the road, the scenery blurred and twisted around them. Soon, they were speeding along a wide highway flanked by dense forest. This must have been during the construction of the old highway. Francis cleared his throat and spoke.

"And then, once we're in the city, we're to wait for Mr. Havercamp?"

Karl gave him a nod. "Correct."

Molly leaned closer, her voice soft. "What should I say when I see him?"

Karl chuckled. "You'll know what to do."

The scenery was mostly of underdeveloped farmland. Even the city of Thurton seemed to be a village at this point. Eventually, they pulled up to what must have been the Thurton Hotel as it must have looked in the old days. They got out of the car and walked towards the hotel entrance. As they approached, a bellhop came out to greet Karl, Molly, and Francis.

"Welcome back, sirs and little lady," he said, bowing slightly. "Is it just the three of you?"

Francis nodded. "Yes."

The bellhop bowed again. "Very good. I'll take your bags."

Molly grabbed Francis' hand. Francis looked to the driver. "Thank you, Karl. I think we can handle it from here."

Karl smiled. "Oh no, sir Francis: I insist that I... assist."

Francis didn't want to argue, so he allowed Karl to help with the luggage. When they reached the lobby, Karl knocked on the door to the manager's office. After a moment, the door opened and a middle-aged woman appeared. She wore a red dress with a large bow at the waist. Her hair was done up in a tight bun and she was also wearing white gloves and a large red hat.

"Good day, Miss Donna!" shouted Karl.

The manager stopped short and stared. She looked like she might faint for a moment, but caught herself on the front desk. "Oh my! Karl, what have you done to Francis?"

"Nothing much," he replied. "He simply looks different in this era."

Donna gasped and rushed over to Francis. She bent over and took hold of his face, examining him carefully. "Francis..."

Donna examined Francis' face a little more and subsequently rushed over to him. She bent over and took hold of his face, examining him carefully. "Francis..." she mumbled. "I've never seen you look so young."

After a moment, she stood back up. "Well, this is certainly unexpected. Please follow me."

The trio followed her into the back room. There was an elderly gentleman in a suit sitting behind a desk. He gestured for them to sit down, so they did.

"Now, please tell me what happened," said Mr. Havercamp.

Francis, wanting to delay, spoke up. "Mr. Havercamp!" He said, feigning excitement. "I thought you were on business in New York."

Mr. Havercamp furrowed his brow and ignored the implied question. "When was the last time I saw you?"

Francis felt uncomfortable. "Um..."

"The last time you came to Thurton, was it?"

Francis nodded.

"Have you been working for me these past months?"

"Yes," he answered, now feeling very uneasy. "I've worked really hard to make sure everything ran smoothly, Mr. Havercamp."

"And I see you've brought a child with you?"

Francis nodded. "She's my ward, Sir."

"And how old is she?"

"Ten years old, sir."

"No, no," corrected Mr. Havercamp. "How old does she appear to be?"

Francis hesitated. "About thirteen, sir."

Mr. Havercamp laughed. "Of course she appears to be thirteen. You are a clever boy, Francis.”

"Sir?"

Mr. Havercamp motioned to the bellhop, who was standing nearby. "Bring in the girl."

The bellhop stepped forward and tapped Molly on the shoulder. She turned around and the bellhop pushed her towards the desk. Molly stood there, confused, while the bellhop pulled out a chair and sat her down.

"Tell me something," said Mr. Havercamp, still looking at Francis. "Has anyone else noticed anything odd about Molly?"

Francis gulped. "Only that she seems younger than her age, sir."

Mr. Havercamp chuckled. "Well, now that I've seen both of you, you can return home."

Francis and Molly got up to leave. "Wait!" said Mr. Havercamp. "Aren't you forgetting something?"

What was Mr. Havercamp planning?

"What are you talking about?" Francis asked.

"Molly's travel documents," replied Mr. Havercamp. "She's not fit to travel on the time train without them."

Francis sighed. "And what are we to do about that, Mr. Havercamp?"

Mr. Havercamp smiled. "Why, you're going to give them to her, of course. To allow her to travel back to her time."

"But sir, that's illegal!" exclaimed Francis. He didn't want the 'conductors' to see the papers were out of order: those menacing shadows were capable of anything. "You can't just do that!"

"Why not?" Mr. Havercamp responded. "I am a businessman, Francis. I believe in doing whatever it takes to achieve my goals. It's one of the things that makes me a successful entrepreneur."

That's when it clicked: Molly was important to Mr. Havercamp's future business in some way. Francis held her close. "I'll take care of it," he whispered. "Just keep quiet and trust me."

Francis spoke up. "Simply because you have need of her doesn’t mean she has to forfeit her whole life to fit your mold!”

Mr. Havercamp frowned as the bellhop and Karl moved in behind Francis. "Insubordination, then?"

Francis nodded. "That's right."

"So you are willing to leave Molly behind in this time?"

Francis looked at Karl and the Bellhop and gulped. "I guess so!"

Mr. Havercamp chuckled. "Then let us get this settled. If you won't give Molly her travel documents, I'll have Karl force you to."

"Don't push me too far, Mr. Havercamp," said Francis. "Remember what I did in 1397?" Molly looked up at him with a curious glance - he’d have to tell her later.

"Ah yes," said Mr. Havercamp, "the events leading up to the Great Train Robbery."

Francis frowned. "What do you know about that? Have you been following our every move?"

Karl and the Bellhop moved behind Francis, but Mr. Havercamp waved them off with a smile. "Let them go. We'll see them again."

Francis looked back at Mr. Havercamp with defiance as the two left the little office. Francis and Molly were allowed to leave the old, dusty hotel, right as it began to snow. Francis took off his coat and wrapped it around his young ward.

“Mr. Francis, do you think there’s a way to get back to my time?”

“I think so, Molly, but it might take a while.”

A cold breeze brushed past them as the two figures - one tall, one short - moved into the dark.

October 19, 2022 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Graham Kinross
02:28 Oct 28, 2022

I like the descriptions of the smell, under-utilised in writing but smells really put you in a place. “And then there’s the fact that we’re traveling through time.” Nice casual introduction. Mr Havercamp wants them to smuggle Molly across time borders? Sounds very Rick and Morty. I like it.

Reply

Cajek Veilwinter
16:56 Oct 28, 2022

Glad you liked it Graham! Thanks for noticing the description of the scent - I'll keep that in mind. I'll stop by and take a look at your most recent story in a bit

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:20 Oct 28, 2022

Thank you and you’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.