42 comments

American

“I swear on all that’s holy, on my life, everything I am, have been and ever will be that I was born human. I don’t know how I ended up as a droid but I know my name was Mario Washington.” Metal fingers crunched into the wood of the witness stand.

If he could only sweat it would have been running off him in waves.

“Impossible. There is no such thing as a man becoming a droid. It’s impossible,” said the prosecution lawyer. “This entire case is a blatant waste of taxpayer money. The droid has no rights. He attacked his owner. He should be decommissioned as per the law.”

“I know things no droid could,” Mario yelled. “I know what it feels like to have morning wood and need a piss when you wake up. I know how you feel dizzy after sneezing. You say it’s impossible that I was human. How many droids lie? If one is possible, why not the other.”

“It is simple enough for droids to be programmed to give out false responses. It should be scrapped without delay. It was clearly the work of a criminal enterprise.”

“I AM NOT AN IT. MY NAME IS MARIO WASHINGTON.” Seeing the fear and knowing it could turn against him, Mario turned down his volume. “I was born on July sixth on Pennsylvania Avenue in Terrance City, Missouri.”

“Ridiculous,” said the prosecutor, smirking.

“I’m not an empty coke can you can crush when you’re done with it. I was born in America. I have rights! Robots don’t fear death. They don’t beg.” Mario sank to his steel and aluminum composite knees. He clapped his hands together, weaving the fingers together. “I’m begging you. Please don’t kill me.”

“Whatever scam or prank this is, it makes fools of us. Somewhere there’s a marketing team waiting for their pay when this machine gets off with this farcical performance. I’ll admit, it’s impressive. But we all know it’s a lie.”

“I’m not lying,” said the droid, wishing he had tears to cry. His head hung, motors whirring as the joint in his neck spun.

“Defendant,” the prosecutor began.

“Mario. My name is Mario.”

“Mario then, your story was investigated. The man you claim to be died years before your incident in the warehouse.” The lawyer's face was granite hard, icy stare picturing the droid in a car crusher.

“Years, what do you mean years? What year is it?”

“The year, droid, is 2343. Is that news to you.”

“Why didn’t the police tell me that?”

“Probably because droids have an internal clock. Will you not admit now, that you are at present a droid?”

“I know it’s 6:47 pm. My clock doesn’t have the date.”

“Unlikely.”

Leaning forward in his chair, the judge eyed Mario through his glasses. “Be you a man or a machine, Mario. You committed a crime. You have not denied the assault. Being a droid doesn’t excuse you from consequences any more than being a man would.” The black garment the judge wore hid his body language from human eyes as it billowed in excessive folds. His eyes had an imperious brown stab. His posture, revealed by the thermal filter of Mario’s lenses, was tense but measured. He would not snap to judgment to please the prosecutor. Neither would he spare the droid for anything less than cold hard logic.

“Please, your honor. I understand that my case is without precedent. Try me as a man, I beg you. Give me the sentence befitting the assault I committed. If I cannot prove my life by the end of the sentence then it would cost nothing but the electricity to charge me. Please. If you send me to death, and I am a man, for a crime that would only mean years for any other, could you live with that? Would you never doubt yourself?”

Analysis of the frown the judge gave him told Mario he had made a mistake. Asking how Judge Matthews would feel had come off as emotional manipulation. An instinctive response of anger began to blossom across the liver spotted face of the octogenarian.

“I know I hurt someone. I should be punished. But I don’t want to die. Please don’t kill me.”

Sitting back in his chair, the judge looked up at the stained wood of the ceiling. The building had been around longer than robots, almost as old as America itself. Whatever the judge’s call, Mario was sure the mighty granite stones would outlast him. The only question was by what degree.

“I need time to deliberate on the case,” said Judge Matthews. “I hereby adjourn court until,” his eyes flicked to the clock on the far wall, “tomorrow at seven am. This case has many implications, wide reaching. Both the prosecution and the defendant himself have raised questions I must consider carefully.”

The gavel hit with a clack.

The prosecution lawyer sighed, shaking his head as his eyes rolled over Mario like a truck through a smudge of roadkill.

Security droids clapped reinforced handcuffs over Mario’s wrists, leading him out of the court.

“That went much better than I expected,” said Mario’s lawyer, appointed by the court.

“No thanks to you,” the droid grunted.

“Legally speaking this was an open and shut case, Mario. Whether you were a man or not, you’re a droid now. Any droid that injures a human through its own decisions in contravention of the laws of robotics is summarily scrapped as standard practice. To even make it to court was a minor miracle.

I normally represent drunk drivers, Mario. This is way out of my wheelhouse. I’m sorry. Proving you’re human, or that you were is your best chance but I have no idea how we do that.

All of the records about your life are gone. I’ve been searching for any trace of Mario Washington. I can’t find anything. No social media. Medical records, social security. School records. None of it exists.” The pasty man scratched his thinning hair. A rash at his hairline had claw marks through it.

Mario’s processors raced. “But, what about the graves of my parents?”

“The plots you mentioned are blank. There are no headstones.” Sweat patches showed in the man’s armpits as he scratched again. A faded wedding band of copper discolored the finger it enclosed.

“My ex-girlfriend? Maria?” Mario’s lenses scanned signs that his lawyer was in the early stages of diabetes and clearly had eczema.

“Emigrated. She’s not in America anymore and I’ve had no luck contacting her.”

“Military records? My unit?” Mario flexed fingers that had been flesh and bone, had held an assault rifle during deployment on bases halfway across the world.

“The USMC has been blocking our requests, they say records from the unit you mentioned are confidential. Their lawyers have appealed against my requests for the files.”

“Can you get a school yearbook from Corvin High 2328? I have a profile and I’m in graduation photo. Anyone from my year should have it. Please Johnathan, they’re going to kill me.” He remembered being the quarterback in high school, legs devouring the football field as he dodged with athletic majesty cut short by a broken ankle.

“I’ll do what I can. I have a list of graduates from that year. Several have left the country.”

“Thank you, Johnathan. I’m counting on you. Can you find a way for me to replay my footage tomorrow. I want to show the judge what happened when I woke up. Hearing about it, he can think I lied or left things out. He can watch it for himself.”


Chains across his chest in utter darkness. No cold even though he knew it should have been. Struggling free of badly wrapped bindings. The lid of the box opened. A grouchy face looked down at him with disgust.

‘Get back in there.’ 

‘Let me out.’ He pushed up, free of chains. A hand reached down to push him back into the darkness. He slapped the grasping digits aside and hauled himself up into the flickering light of a warehouse.

‘I said, get back in the box, piece of shit. Do as you’re fucking told, bot.’ A glance at a metal hand. The man raised a stunner that short circuited droids that were malfunctioning. He slapped the arm away with enough force to break it.


“Defendant.” The guard’s voice stirred Mario from replaying the video in his head. “You’re up.”

Pulling a charging cable from his port, he stood and approached the bars, offering his wrists through the slot. Cuffs clicked shut.

“Security.” The droids that escorted tax evaders, drunken brawlers and killers alike to their fate stomped across the concrete floor of the jail. Their hands were specifically designed to hold an arm without bruising it, much like handcuffs but with three digits that could move independently. They escorted him back to the courtroom through the back corridors.

Johnathan gulped as his client entered. Mario’s metal soul sighed. He nodded. The man had done his best. Forces bigger than either of them wanted him to die. It was all up to the judge. Judge Matthews was the last to enter, press and legal teams standing until he sat.

“Once again, gentleman, why not make your cases?” The wizened man leaned forwards in his raised chair. “This has been an intriguing case indeed. Never in my forty years of service have I heard anything like it.” He waved a hand to the prosecution.

“Your honour. This case is simple. The droid is malfunctioning and poses a risk to the public. It has harmed a human, violating the laws of robotics which keep us all safe. Allowing it to exist threatens us all. Manufacturers would cite this case as precedent that droids are not required to follow Asimov’s laws. For the safety of Americans and all of humanity, you must find the defendant guilty, not as a man, but as a droid. It must be decommissioned. It has presented itself as a man reborn as a droid, but has given no evidence to prove the man it claims to be ever existed.”

The door of the court room opened cautiously, a pimply face peered through, trying to sneak down the center aisle despite all eyes being on the intruder.

“Young man, this had better be of the highest importance,” said the judge to the thirty year old carrying an envelope the size of a picture book.

“Your honour, I believe this may be the evidence to show that Mario Washington at very least, existed.” Johnathan took the envelope from the runner and nodded. Sweat on the lawyers forehead splashed on the court desk as his bitten nails ripped open the envelope.

Mario recognised the faded read cover of the Corvid High Yearbook 2328. The lawyer flipped through the pages desperately. Stopping with a wide childlike smile on his ashen face, he held the book high.

“It’s here, your honour. Definitive proof that Mario Washington existed. His photograph, profile and a group photo of him with his peers.”

Johnathan rushed to the judge to hand over the book. The prosecutor raised his hand, not waiting for permission to speak.

“With all due respect, that book proves nothing. Creating something like that is child’s play. This is nothing more than another delaying tactic in a clear cut case.” His smooth black suit contrasted the deep frown in his surgically youthful face. His eyes burnt with anger.

“There has been a pattern of missing evidence in this case which I would argue hints at efforts to cover up something relating to my client.” Jonathan said, speaking with strength Mario hadn’t heard before. “Tombstones removed recently. Would be witnesses who decided to emigrate since the trial was announced. I must argue that without speaking to these people we cannot be sure whether Mario Washington probably existed or not.”

“My honorable colleague seems to be wilfully ignoring the fact that this case does not hinge on whether Mario Washington existed. It regards the conduct of a droid and the wider safety of the public.”

“The USMC has withheld evidence that would prove one way or another whether the defendant has told the truth about his service on behalf of the country.”

Frowning at the book in his hands, the judge looked at Mario in the dock. “How did you receive the scar on your left cheek?”

“I got the scar on my right cheek when I was three, sir. Standing up under a table, I cut my face on the corner.”

The judge nodded. “What is the motto of your school?”

“Usque conabor, sir, I will try harder.” The droid watched the old man above him with a flicker of hope.

“What were you wearing when the photo was taken?” asked the judge.

“My letter jacket. I had a lipstick stain on my cheek because my girlfriend Maria Winters thought it was funny.” Memories from before he’d become a droid were frustratingly vague.

“I want to speak to Maria Winters,” said the judge, squinting as he flipped through the pages. “I also want the USMC records. Unlike a yearbook,” he held it up, “they aren’t easily tampered with.” He bit his lip. “Councillor McKay, I’m going to give you two months to track down Maria Winters and the records for Mario Washington’s USMC service. If you cannot, or if Maria Winters testifies that she never knew Mario, or that she did but this droid is nothing like him, then I will sentence the droid to decommissioning. You will be given appropriate funds to have Miss Winters travel here. I will make a point of contacting the USMC. While they have a right to confidentiality, it does not exclude them from legal cases such as this.”


Two months passed in a cell. Jonathan had tracked Maria to Hong Kong and arranged for her flights and accommodation. The United States Marine Core had resisted disclosing Mario’s records for a whole month, but had finally given in to the insistence of Judge Matthews. Birth records for Mario were missing, but Jonathan found photos of him in his kindergarten which had been analyzed by experts and verified as accurate.

An expert on the field of brain wave mapping was to testify at the final hearing that while Mario’s story was unlikely, there were two dozen companies registered in America working on consciousness transference. Police investigating Mario’s disappearance would testify that their case had been shut down from high above.

With a week to go, Jonathan found an intelligence expert who would testify that Mario Washington had been ‘scrubbed’. It was a term used in high powered circles for making a person not just disappear, but making it seem that they never existed.


“What did you once tell me my birthmark looked like?” Maria asked Mario from the stand.

“The Statue of Liberty holding a dolphin instead of the torch.” Mario laughed in a sound that was entirely inhuman.

“What’s my darkest secret?” Her green eyes had lost their teenaged shine, weathered with red.

“You’re afraid of marshmallows.”

She shivered. “That’s Mario alright.”

“Miss Winters, I wanted to ask you, for the court, why you moved to Hong Kong in the first place?”

“I’ve was given a job offer I couldn’t refuse. An apartment paid for, more pay per month than I made per year. It was too good to be true.”

“And was it? Did you get everything you were promised?” Jonathan asked, he wore a brand new suit. Normally disheveled hair was gelled in place.

“Yeah, which is weird. No one else I work with got that. I’m paid more than my manager. I wasn’t even qualified for the job.”


Judge Matthews gave the court a long glance before giving his verdict. “This trial is unprecedented. After witnessing testimony from experts in the relevant fields, I feel that the defendant’s testimony is not only possible, but may represent a terrifying future for us all.

Having witnessed the defendant’s emotional outbursts and the disturbing footage of his awakening, I can only think of him as Mario Washington. Therefore I try him today as a man, not a droid. With the best evidence I have been presented and what is clearly a campaign to hide the facts around his creation, I sentence Mario Washington to time served and demand that he be released as soon as possible.”

Gasps from the press seating turning into the whirs and clicks of cameras. Lights flashed.

“Thank you, sir.” The lens covers shuttered, blacking out Mario’s view of the world.

“You’re welcome,” said the judge. “I fear the fight has just begun for you. I wish you the best. You have the right to live. Many won’t believe that.”

The prosecutor stormed out of the court shaking his head.

After signing paperwork, Mario’s cuffs were removed. Maria met him in the lobby of the courthouse. Her eyes scoured him for the boy she’d known.

“Thank you,” he tried to smile, but lacked the capacity.

“You’re welcome. This is surreal though.”

“How do you think I feel?” He tried to laugh again. The distorted mess of sounds that left his speakers sounded more human than before, but needed work.


Mario walked down the steps with press drones hovering in the air around him. Flashes and questions overwhelmed him.


The bullet knocked him back onto the steps. Further shots registered to his microphones.

“MARIO!” Maria’s voice echoed in his digital mind.

Critical power failure. Error 404. File not found.

April 08, 2023 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

MJ Simons
22:46 Apr 08, 2023

This was an exciting play on the prompt. The story is very well written, but I found it difficult to follow in some spots. From this part, "Chains across his chest in utter darkness.", until this part, "With hands specifically designed to hold an arm without bruising it, they escorted him back to the courtroom through the back corridors," I didn't understand what happened. Once he was back in the courtroom, it was easy to follow. It was a mysterious story, and I couldn't wait to see how the judge would rule in the case. The ending threw ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:44 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks, MJ. I have a bit of time to work on your suggestions so I’ll see how I can make those bits clearer. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
06:13 Apr 25, 2023

Hey Graham! As always, you manage to tell an incredibly fascinating tale. I love the way that you create such dynamic characters that are easily identifiable as human while also, pushing the boundaries of sci-fi. I think that you did a great job of posing really interesting ethical questions, and I think that something you’re a master at which can be challenging to do with 3000 words or less. I also really enjoy the way that you address the justice system because I think that you should interesting light on it; especially, when you add in th...

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:21 Apr 25, 2023

Thanks, Amanda. I always appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
10:21 Apr 25, 2023

Thanks, Amanda. I always appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Martin Ross
21:56 Apr 13, 2023

Mind-boggling, wonderful sci-fi/legal fusion, and the kind of ethical questions that touch not only modern technology but also the resurgent racism and cruelty in the U.S. today. Asimov would be impressed!!

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:20 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks, Martin. In your opinion, should I have given it a happy ending? That felt too much like he was getting off lightly. I wanted to show how screwed he was either way.

Reply

Martin Ross
03:34 Apr 14, 2023

I did wonder how the assault charge vanished so easily, but an optimistic ending seemed right. Maybe a slight tweaking where he suffers some probationary consequences, or even does minimal time and is released to enjoy his humanity. In a way, as a metaphor, giving him a lighter sentence because he classified as “normal” reflects modern society.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:23 Apr 14, 2023

Probation would have made sense. Something to remember. Thanks, Martin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:01 Apr 13, 2023

Another masterful story. Not totally understanding why he had to die after feeling alive again (oops, was that last weeks prompt?)

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:15 Apr 14, 2023

Just to add to the mystery I suppose and to show the whole thing was always rigged against him. Thank you for reading it, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
14:00 Apr 12, 2023

This is so good! You got me and held me right to the end…and I’m someone who isn’t into robots, droids, bots etc. what a wonderful imagination you have, not to mention the writing skills you have to deliver a captivating short story. I applaud Graham Kinross, the writer. 👏👏

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:11 Apr 12, 2023

Thank you, Viga. I’m smiling now.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:19 Apr 12, 2023

You should be 😉

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:48 Apr 12, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
05:30 Apr 09, 2023

I enjoyed his futuristic cover up and conspiracy. I am left wondering what was the back story, how he came to be and what was so important that he be taken out with that final critical error code. File not found indeed!

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:43 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks, Michelle. Is it obvious that the error was caused by the bullet?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
06:58 Apr 09, 2023

Yes a critical error as in death. I thought it was clever.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:10 Apr 09, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:09 Apr 09, 2023

I love how this story weaved the robot aspect together, and it was well written. I felt like I was with Mario on this whole thing. Also, you checked out part one to one of my other stories, Super Human Soldier, I have part two up now if you want to read it. Anyway, GREAT work.

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:43 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks Kylea, I’ll have a look when I get the chance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
23:24 Apr 17, 2023

Cool robot, very star wars.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:27 Apr 18, 2023

It’s not that Star Wars is it? There’s no space or lightsaber fights. Not quite what I was going for. Thank you for reading though.

Reply

L M
22:04 Apr 26, 2023

Robots, check. Science fiction scenarios, check.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:22 Apr 27, 2023

Touché

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
03:28 Apr 13, 2023

Anyone watching the Mandalorian?

Reply

L M
22:02 Apr 26, 2023

Who isnt?

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:22 Apr 27, 2023

You’re the only one to respond so far… What did you think of the finale? SPOILER ALERT!!! I don’t think Moff Gideon is dead. Seemed too simple. I don’t understand why Bo-Katan wasn’t allowed to kill him. They set up a fight with her and Gideon then had to have Mando roll in to save her, big anticlimax.

Reply

L M
23:09 Apr 27, 2023

Maybe a clone of Gifeon will come back, with Jedi powers.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:50 Apr 27, 2023

Maybe. Or maybe we just liked Gideon too much and they’ll move on to the other men from the holograms that Gideon was talking to that are trying to restart the empire as the First Order. Project Necromancer is presumably the thing that brings back the emperor from the dead, trying to make that less of a cop out for the film franchise. I didn’t like that though. It made his death in the original trilogy seem like a lie which undermines the victory of that story. I wish they’d stuck with either Snoke or Kylo Ren as the main antagonist of that ...

Reply

L M
21:39 Apr 28, 2023

You make a good point. Hopefully the next trilogy is better. Done by one person.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
03:06 Jan 15, 2024

poor Mario. i think of Mario from Nintendo when I see his name. sad for him having to die. you like to kill characters.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:48 Jan 15, 2024

Everything turning out ok doesn’t feel true to real life and it’s less dramatic.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
02:27 Jan 17, 2024

sad true.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:09 Jan 17, 2024

Yeah… thanks for reading and commenting Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:54 Jan 18, 2024

you are welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.