Cherry Popsicle Day, ending sequel, The Secret

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story that either starts or ends with someone asking, “Can you keep a secret?”... view prompt

0 comments

Suspense Teens & Young Adult Fiction

“Can you keep a secret?” Johnny said in a whisper as they lay gazing into each other’s eyes in Ashley’s bed, the early morning light shining through her window. From the moment the bedroom door had closed behind them the day before they had passionately made up for the 3 and-a-half years of separation. Now they were both fulfilled and serene. Seeing the calm manner that he had posed the question she couldn’t imagine that the secret was something bad. Still, knowing his condition she wanted to reassure herself.

“Nothing bad I hope?” She said softly with a smile. “Of course I can, you know me well enough after all these years; you know I’d never betray you.”

“I found a way to finally get rid of my Bipolar disorder.”

“That’s wonderful! Why should that be a secret?”

“Because it has to be, I’ve sworn secrecy.” He said gravely.

The words ‘sworn secrecy’ made Ashley suddenly afraid. “I don’t get it. Tell me about it.”

“There’s a man I met on Myspace, Mahasiddha Kunchen, he’s a Tantra Buddhist healer. I’ve seen tons of witnesses about his healing power. He’s been teaching me all about Tantra Buddhism in our chats. He has assured me that my condition can be overcome and that I’ll be completely normal again after he heals me. I’m sure my parents wouldn’t have agreed if they were still alive, but it’s all up to me to deal with my problem now.”

Ashley was taking in his words with all her attention and trying to block her negative thoughts, after all, perhaps there was something to it? His calm way of explaining and his apparent confidence was reassuring. In their High School years together he had been a bit crazy at times, but always very down-to-earth. And above all, she wished more than ever that it was true. She loved him so and wanted everything to be like it was in the beginning, before his troubles started. “What do you have to do? How long will it take?”

“Mahasiddha Kunchen’s healing institution is in California. He owns an estate in Newport Coast, near Los Angeles. He says that I need to come and see him there. But, I wanted to share the good news with you first, and also, I’d like for you to come with me to keep me company.”

“I’ve never flown before, and it’ll be a nice change! I’ll be happy to come with you!” She said cheerfully and sincerely. She was thinking that if she went with him she could make sure he wasn’t getting into something fishy, but she didn’t let on. His words ‘sworn secrecy’ were still haunting the back of her mind.

“I don’t know how long it will take. I might be in California for awhile, so I’m driving.”

“All the way to LA?”

“Yeah, I’ll let you drive too, just like before, I know that you love to drive my car! I’ve already looked at the route, we can drive up to Atlanta, and then to Memphis, then we can catch Route 66 at Continental Divide in New Mexico, close to OKC, and take it all the way to LA. I’ll even let you drive the first stretch from Greenacres up to Jacksonville, or maybe even to Atlanta! I’ve always wanted to do Route 66, and now’s the occasion! It’ll be loads of fun, especially with the convertible! We can stop all along the way and make it a real vacation! What do you say?”

“Let’s do it!”

They were young, Johnny was 24 and Ashley 23, and they both loved adventure. Ashley had her suitcase packed in a flash, (after cleaning up the melted cherry Popsicles on the floor) and after a hearty breakfast they headed out for a long discovery drive from the East Coast to the West. Ashley did love driving Johnny’s cherry red 2001 BMW 330i, he had taught her how to use the stick shift in High School, and shifting the gears gave her a feeling of power. Not many women she knew could drive with a clutch. It was in mint condition. He had kept his promise to his father and had taken really good care of it. You would think that it was brand new except for the model. She settled into the black leather seat and let herself go. Johnny put a CD in the player, even though now everyone had gone digital… Ultra Naté “Desire”, just like the day they met eight years and one day ago, Wednesday August 26, 2000. National Cherry Popsicle Day, their special day.

Ashley drove to Jacksonville in just 4 hours, and they stopped for lunch, Johnny took the wheel for the rest of the way to Atlanta, making record time in just another 4 hours, and they checked into a motel for the night. It was a Travelodge next to Wyndham Forest Park, not too expensive, just 2 stars, but with Wifi. Ashley showered first, Johnny after her, and when he was in the shower she combed and dried her hair and turned on the radio. The song “Come on Over” by Jessica Simpson was playing when he came out of the shower.

“What’s that shit!” he screamed. “You know I don’t like Jessica Simpson! Or maybe you forgot already!” He clenched his fist as if about to hit her, snarling menacingly.

“Oh Johnny, Johnny, please! Don’t do this! We’re going to get it fixed, remember?” She was pleading on her knees, gripping his calves with her head down. He snatched her long blond hair and started to pull it when the sensation of its silky softness in his hand clicked something in his brain. It calmed him down and his fit was gone just as suddenly as it had come on.

He collapsed on his knees with her and took her in his arms. “Oh Ashley, I’m so sorry. I never want to do you any harm, you know that. I love you so.”

“Yes I know Johnny, I know. I love you too. We’ll take care of it. You’ll get better, don’t worry.” They stayed on their knees in a long embrace, swaying slowly as if rocking a baby.

With the first morning light, Johnny said “We have to find a tattoo artist. I’m sure we can find one here in Atlanta.”

“A tattoo artist? What for?”

“Mahasiddha Kunchen told me that I should get a Buddhist Om symbol tattooed between my shoulder blades. The Om symbol represents wholeness, perfection, and the infinite, and it’s one of the first steps I’m supposed to take. It will give me peace. He said I should do it as soon as possible, before coming to see him. By the way, Kunchen means all-knowing.”

“Do you think they’ll know the symbol at the tattoo shops?”

“They just have to Google it.”

They did a search on the net for a tattoo shop, there were many, and they chose one that seemed clean and professional and headed out to get his Om tattoo. Ashley decided to get a tattoo too, just to keep him company. She got the words “With pain comes strength” tattooed on her right shoulder, and it was indeed painful for her. When the tattoo artist saw the anchor and mermaid on Johnny’s chest he asked “Are you in the Navy?” Johnny told him proudly that his Father had been the Lieutenant Commander on a Navy SEAL team, and he had been killed in action.

They set back out on the road, taking turns driving, stopping to see the sights from time to time. Johnny’s back itched too much for him to do much driving, so Ashley did most. They only went as far as Memphis their second day on the road. On Friday they reached Route 66 after 5 hours’ drive, and continued on another 6 hours to Amarillo before stopping for the night. Another two days, with a detour to see the Grand Canyon, and they arrived in LA on Sunday August 31st. Johnny didn’t have any fits for the rest of the trip, and they laughed the whole way, remembering all of their good times in High School.

Johnny called Mahasiddha Kunchen Monday morning, made an appointment, and got the directions to his estate at Newport Coast, on Shell Beach Road. When they arrived Johnny didn’t seem surprised at its grandeur, as he had seen pictures of the estate on Myspace. It was surrounded by a huge stone wall and there was an imposing cast iron gate with guards. Johnny gave his name, and they inquired about Ashley, who was she? After Johnny had spoken on the phone with the Mahasidda and assured him that Ashley was with him and posed no danger to their secrecy, they were let in. They were invited to spend the night there together. Johnny drove up the alley to the house and a valet greeted them and took the keys to park the car as they got their bags out of the trunk. Ashley noticed that Johnny now took an inconspicuous black canvas bag that he had left in the back of the trunk throughout their trip, and threw it over his shoulder and across his chest. The butler greeted them and took their bags, saying that they would be taken to their room. Johnny kept the black canvas bag with him, clutching it as if his life depended on it. The butler led them to a large living room with a view on the ocean and bid them to wait there until summoned.

Since they had arrived, Ashley had trouble believing her eyes. It wasn’t an estate, it was a palace. White marble everywhere, fountains, oak beamed ceilings, crystal chandeliers, imposing paintings and sculptures everywhere they looked, and beautiful sculpted arches in a Spanish American hacienda style. It seemed to come straight out of a Zorro Movie, but with all the mod cons added. Soft relaxing music was continually in the background, coming from hidden speakers everywhere on the premises. While they were waiting a maid came and asked if they would like something to eat or drink, they acquiesced and were served a sumptuous snack; a huge fruit bowl with every imaginable fruit, a large selection of exotic foreign cakes, a variety of fruit juices in beautiful crystal carafes, dried figs, dates, and other dried fruits and assorted nuts. On a silver platter there were delicate china teacups and a silver teapot filled with herbal star anise tea.

They had ample time to feast themselves and were relaxing on one of the sofas, waiting to be received. Johnny had kept the black bag strapped across him, never putting it down since they had arrived. Ashley couldn’t hold on to her curiosity any longer. “What’s in the bag?” she asked softly, not wanting for him to feel interrogated.

“It’s what’s left from our house, or I should say half of what’s left. We sold the house after mom died last year and Lucy and I split the proceeds fifty-fifty; one million each.”

“You mean you have a million dollars in that bag! And it was in the trunk the whole trip!” Ashley couldn’t believe it. It was too much. She tried to remain calm, but was overwhelmed by the utter incredibleness of the situation. “You aren’t planning to give it to what’s his name… Kunchen, are you?” She asked with real concern in her voice.

“Don’t worry my love, everything will be alright. He asked me for an advance of one-hundred thousand on the healing. Maybe that’s all I’ll have to spend. But this is all the money I have in the world, so I have to hold on to it tight.”

“Why isn’t in the bank where it belongs?”

‘Because I might need it.”

Their conversation was cut short by the butler, who came to tell them that Mahasiddha Kunchen was ready to receive them in his office. Ashley was dazed and confused, and a million thoughts were running through her head as they were led through the corridors of the Hacienda. The butler knocked on the office door and waited for the owner to answer.

Johnny was already familiar with Mahasiddha Kunchen’s face and appearance through their Myspace conversations, as for Ashley, it was the first time she saw him, and surprisingly, all of her fears and worries vanished as if by magic as soon as she set eyes on him. He looked to be around 60; dressed in a long orange robe with long grey hair falling freely over his shoulders. The wrinkles around his eyes affirmed a warm sincere smile that radiated from a slightly round, heavily wrinkled grey bearded face. Round wire rimmed glasses on his nose and leather sandals on his feet, he put his hands together in front of his chest in a gesture of prayer and bowed to them. “Welcome my friends, I hope you had a nice trip. Were the entremets to your taste? Come have a seat.” He beckoned them gesturing with his open hand. The discussion was short as both parties had already discussed everything at length over the net.

Johnny opened his bag and took out 10 packets of $100 bills, deposing them on the desk. “Here’s one-hundred thousand, as we agreed. I’m ready to start.”

“We’ll start tomorrow. As the healing process will be long, I would request that Miss Knight leave tomorrow. I will make the reservations in First class and pay for the flight. My chauffeur will drive you to the airport tomorrow. For today and tonight, enjoy yourselves, make yourselves at home. You can go for a swim in the pool or the ocean, take a walk on the beach, it’s private and you won’t be disturbed. There’s a sauna and a message room next to the pool, and professional massage therapists are at your disposition. You can ask the butler or the maid for anything you want, and it will be taken care of. Our wine cellar has excellent California Grand crus, and the butler is knowledgeable about wine if you need advice. And, John Mark, I suggest that you leave your bag in my safe. We have excellent security, there are cameras hidden everywhere, but one of my employees could be tempted to rob you, we never know, and we wouldn’t want that to happen, would we?”

His tone was so sincere and comforting that both Ashley and Johnny couldn’t help but feel complete confidence in him. They spent the day and the evening like celebrity guests in a 5 star palace. It was the most luxurious and wonderful experience that they had ever known, and they were sharing it together. It was like living a dream. They were both sure that Johnny would be finally healed.

They said a long tender goodbye the next morning, and as planned, the chauffeur drove Ashley to the airport. It would be the last time that she would ever see or speak to Johnny. As soon as she arrived in Florida she called him on his mobile. No answer. He had given her the number of the estate, so she called to check on him and was told that he couldn’t be disturbed. After several calls and unanswered messages, both his mobile number and the estate number went dead. She tried to convince herself that everything was OK, but all of this was very disturbing. How could have she been so naïve? She asked herself. She contacted the LA police and explained the situation, giving the name of Mahasiddha Kunchen and they called her back to say that they had no record of anyone with that name, and that the estate was empty.

The years passed and eventually she gave up hope of ever finding him. She often broke down in tears, haunted by her memories. Then finally the phone call came announcing that he had been beaten to death a few days earlier in the Santa Clara County Prison by two guards on August 26, 2015, National Cherry Popsicle Day. He was homeless when picked up by the police.

He had written a letter to her in his prison cell earlier the same day, and in it he had asked “If there’s a God, why did he make me this way?” She was certain that a Higher Power does indeed exist, and now, she wanted to make sure that his death would not go unpunished. He had died as a martyr, at the hands of horrible murderers, and even if she didn’t know why, she was sure that everything has a reason. Determined, she called Juliette Price Samson, the Investigative Reporter for the San José Mercury News who had tracked her down and called her. She made an appointment, and booked a flight and a hotel in San Jose. She wanted to make sure that John Mark Pipkin Tyrell’s murder would not be forgotten and that those who were responsible would pay. It was the least she could do for her Johnny.


This story is the second sequel and end to the short story “Cherry Popsicle Day”, submitted August 4, 2020 for Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting...and continued with the short story “Cherry Popsicle Day- sequel – A Second Chance” submitted August 11, 2020 for Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about high school sweethearts coming across one another after many, many years apart...

August 16, 2020 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.