Happy Birthday

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Holiday Crime

 

TW: self harm, violence

We were all having fun. It was my boyfriend's 30th birthday party. I spent a lot preparing for It. The party was indoors since Jason's house was a really big one and we wanted to keep it simple and formal. Everyone who meant anything to us was there. Everything was going just fine but I never expected the horrible twist that came after. 

 

Jason and I have been dating for 5 years now. We met at a birthday party just like this, he was funny and easy to converse with and not to forget drop dead gorgeous!. After the party that day, he drove me home, we exchanged numbers and the rest is history. 

 

I wanted to appreciate him for his love and care and so I threw this surprise party with the help of friends. He was happy and surprised when he got home to see a party in his honour and I was satisfied with his satisfaction. There was a lot to do, I was busy with organising and making sure things were in order so I didn't really have time to spend time with him at the party. Things didn't work out as planned if not I should have been totally ready before he came back but people will always disappoint you. The caterer had called in sick last minute so I had to do the cooking myself and Dj had wasted a lot of time setting up. Thankfully he had his friends to keep him company,so I could focus on other things, like making sure everyone had something to eat and drink et cetera. It didn't even feel like he missed me, sadly. 

 

I had noticed the gloomy looking girl at the party, I had seen her a few times at parties like this among Jason's friends but I didn't really know who she was acquainted with. We had never really talked except for the first time we met when we exchanged pleasantries, I felt that she didn't like me much- You see I was good with reading people's emotions - so I stayed away from her. It had been a long time since we were in the same gathering together. Why did she bother coming if she knew she was going to be all gloomy and angry looking I wondered. I saw Jason walk up to meet her and they went to a corner, it seemed like they were having a conversation. I wondered what it was about. I felt uneasy but I decided to push the feeling aside, it was a good day.

 

Jason seemed so unsettled, what was wrong?, I wanted to ask but decided to save it for later. 

" Does Jason seem ansty to you? " I asked my best friend Tosin.

" why is there something wrong? ", she had the habit of answering a question with a question. She didn't even seem interested in what I was asking. She didn't even bother looking up, she just continued whatever it was she was doing on her phone. 

" never mind ". I proceeded to continue what I was doing. 

 

Finally, done with making sure everyone had gotten something to eat and drink I had time to be with my love. We were all seated discussing and reminiscing old moments, everyone was laughing and talking except her, the gloomy looking girl. 

" So Jason, what attracted you the most to Ewa? " Femi, Jason's best friend asked. 

"let's see… nothing really". I smacked him on the shoulder because I knew he was trying to be silly. He laughed. "okay real talk, she's beautiful, sexy, easygoing and fun. Honestly what's not to like? " he placed a kiss on my cheeks. Everyone was hailing and applauding his response. I felt my cheeks go warm with shame. 

" Do you think she's your one and only soul mate? " another guest asked

" without a doubt ". He responded with a smile and placed his arms around my shoulder to inch me closer. 

" have you ever cheated on her? ``The question got everyone silent. It came from the gloomy looking girl. Jason shifted in his seat, a gesture he did whenever he felt uneasy. 

" No. I have not. I have eyes only for her " he said it with so much confidence and I believed him. He turned to place a kiss on my lips as if to reassure me he was speaking the truth. 

 

Something was wrong, I could sense it. I had never seen Jason so unsettled and I had a bad feeling it had something to do with the girl. 

She stood up to probably use the bathroom and 60 secs later Jason stood up to use the bathroom. Something was definitely up, I knew he was going to the bathroom as a disguise to go and meet her. I followed after some seconds. You see, I don't know how to sit still when I'm curious about something. I saw them both enter the library - Jason was a lover of books - the library was located upstairs, close to his bedroom. 

" What was that all about? ". He asked angrily, clenching his fist. 

" never cheated on her huh, she's the only one for you right, so what am I? ", the girl spoke in a cold calm voice. 

" yes, she's the only one for me and you know I've never cheated on her. You… you used to be a fling before I met Ewa. When are you going to accept that there was nothing serious between us? "

" I know you loved me, you still do. If not for her you would be with me, I would be able to make you happier than she ever would ". She moved closer and attempted to kiss him but he pushed her away. 

" look, I don't love you, I never did and this has to stop ". She seemed like she was starting to get really pissed. 

" Well, let's wait until I show her those really sexy pictures of us" she smiled so wickedly I felt my blood freeze. 

" This blackmail won't work, I was drunk and you offered to take me home, you probably stripped naked while I was passed out on my bed and took those photos. We both know nothing happened ". His patience was wearing thin, I knew because he was flicking his fingers, he always flicked his fingers when he is irritated. 

" well maybe, but do you think she'll also think that way? "

" You can go ahead and try but even if she breaks up with me I would never end up with someone like you, you're sick and you disgust me! ", he turned around to leave so I quickly ran back down before he could see Me. 

 

So that little, wicked brat was threatening Jason. She didn't seem like the kind, yes she was weird but I never thought she'd be this evil, this conniving. She was in love with Jason - I had suspected - or should I say obsessed and she wanted to break us up. It was time I taught her a lesson. 

 

They both returned downstairs 30sec apart from each other. I stood up to kiss Jason deeply on the lips just to aggravate her. Everyone was surprised by the sudden public display of affection. 

" What was that for? " he asked, surprised. 

" just because " I smiled. I could almost see fumes coming out of her head. 

 

The discussion and laughter continued while I was busy thinking of how to get back at the conniving bitch.

" have I ever told you guys why I love Jason? " I spoke suddenly, bringing about silence. " He's smart, principled, hard working, handsome and most of all he always goes for the best, not second rate which explains why he's with me. I could never stoop so low to hold onto someone that doesn't love me, I'm not so shallow. Girls who do that are just stupid and inferior ", I knew I sounded weird, I was sure they were all wondering why I was suddenly talking like this. 

" You little bitch, you heard us talking ", she said, gritting her teeth so hard. She sounded so angry. Jason turned to look at me, surprise all over his face. 

" Just let it go, he doesn't love you, he doesn't want you " I said in a tone I would use to talk to a five year old when trying to pacify her to give up something of hers. I used that tone because I knew it could annoy people. 

" what's going on here? " Femi inquired confused. 

" little gloomy looking brat here is threatening Jason with some manipulated photos she took so he can break up with me and be with her".

" what! ", Femi turned to her " you promised you were over him, that was why I agreed to bring you to this party after a long while " he sounded infuriated. She started laughing uncontrollably, it was kind of creepy. The next thing I knew she brought out a gun!. Everyone was taken aback, we practically froze. She walked backwards to the door pointing the gun in our direction while she locked the door and threw away the key. 

" so you figured it all out yeah, I guess that leaves me no choice. I'd just kill all three of us and be done with it ", she had to be bluffing, I thought. 

" what in the world do you think you're doing, please drop the gun. You don't want to do this " Jason said pacifyingly.

" oh please!, Jason can't you see how evil she is, she doesn't deserve you. We are meant for each other " she sounded really deranged. Could she even hear herself, how did she expect him to love her when she acted like this. I was scared but I had to practically hold myself from bursting into laughter. This was something that was done only in movies, I never expected she'd have a gun!. 

Jason started moving slowly toward her , stretching forth his hands as he took one step at a time. " please. You don't have to do this, just give me the gun and we can talk ". he said calmly. Someone had been inside using the bathroom before the whole drama started. He came out and stood behind her while Jason continued talking to her to keep her attention on him so she wouldn't notice the guy moving toward her, to grab the gun. But he had missed a step and tripped on perfectly smooth ground, - obviously he had been nervous - she heard the sound and shot at him without realizing. He fell to the ground, blood oozing out of his sides. Scared all of a sudden she dropped the gun to the ground abruptly. The guys rushed toward him trying to do all they could to reduce the damages. One of the guys picked up his phone to call for help. Realising that the situation had gone out of hand she reached for the gun but Jason beat her to it. 

She ran to the dining room and picked up a knife. 

I tried to get to her but I was too slow, she slit her wrists with the knife. 

I froze on my tracks. What was happening, this wasn't the party I had planned. When I was planning the party I never imagined there would be two injured people bleeding to death at my party. Had I known she'd react this way I wouldn't have provoked her tonight. 

"Someone bring a cloth and put some compression on her wrist, " Jason shouted. His voice woke me from my trance, I quickly ran to the kitchen, brought out a kitchen napkin and applied pressure to her wrist. Everyone was shocked and scared. Jason ran upstairs to get his spare key so we could open the door and take them to a hospital. 

The neighbours had gathered outside after hearing the gun shot. we quickly put them in two separate cars, Jason's and Femi's. I told Tosin to try calming the guest and the neighbours while we rushed to the hospital. 

 

Thankfully we got there in time. The emergency doctors acted on time and they were both not at risk of dying. 

 

The day had gone the complete opposite of how I'd planned it. 

When we drove back home, the police were there. They asked questions about what happened and what event we had been celebrating. 

" A birthday party " I said. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't wished him a Happy Birthday yet. 

" Happy Birthday " I said and gave him a hug not for him but for me. To console myself. To be sure that we were fine after the hell that let loose today. It wasn't the party I planned but at least it was a party he would never forget. And suddenly he started laughing and I followed suit. 

 

May 13, 2021 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.