1 comment

Fiction Holiday Christmas

This Christmas is going to be a very special Christmas. The entire Salinas clan will be at my home including a long-awaited family member, one we never knew existed until now.

Recently I found a picture hiding among my mother's belongings. I recognized my mother and the reason why I recognized my mother is because I've seen many pictures of my mother as a child. The person next to my mother was a mystery.

I asked my mother who the person in the picture is. She refused to answer me so did my grandmother. For days I looked at the picture and all I kept thinking was who are you.

The next day I overheard my mother and grandmother talking. That conversation has stuck with me to this very day. I memorized their exact conversation.

"Mama, we have to tell Esmeralda the truth. it's time she knows the truth. Papa will want our family to be whole. Please mama."

"I know Lilliana. Let me make a phone call first."

That was the end of the conversation. My grandmother looked heartbroken so did my mother. This person has to be somebody special for the both of them.

I didn't ask them anymore about the picture. Halloween came and went. We celebrated the best we can. Thanksgiving came. The family came to my house. It was great to be around all the cousins. But I sensed a deep ache, a longing for someone that wasn't here. I always suspected their sadness was for my grandpa who passed away three years ago. I miss him.

Now the holidays are here, a time of hope and magic, a time to be with family. I planned for the entire Salinas clan to be together. I'm happy everybody is coming. Then I think about the picture I found and wonder if this person is part of my family.

It's the day before Christmas, I'm wrapping presents and thinking about all the fun I'm going to have tomorrow. My family is something special. I can't wait to see them.

Here I am again wondering about the person in the picture. I stop wrapping the gifts, sit on my bed and look at the picture. Who are you? My mother looks so happy in this picture. How come you never smile like that anymore?

"I will tell you why." I look up and see my mother.

"Can I come in?" I nod.

"Who is this person?"

My mother takes the picture, looks at it and tells me "The person in the picture is my big brother Carlos."

I stare at my mother unable to say anything. My mother has a brother. I have an uncle. "How come you never told me?"

My mother begins to cry. I hold her and tell her "It's okay. Take your time." I never meant for any of this to happen. I never want to see my mother cry. "I'm sorry mama. I never meant for you to cry."

"It's okay my love. You didn't make me cry, seeing the picture is stirring up a lot of good and bad memories." I hug my mother. I tell her I love her and everything is going to be alright.

"Esme, I love you so much. You made me happy all these years. You made me smile when I was sad. You made me laugh when I missed my brother, with that said I'm going to tell you the story of how we were separated.

I nod. My mother begins to tell me her story. "This picture was taken when I was ten and Carlos was eighteen. It was during the last years of the Vietnam War. Carlos wanted to enlist but your grandpa refused to allow him to enlist. Carlos was angry. He stormed out of the house.

The next day Carlos returned home. He told grandma and grandpa that he enlisted. They were both angry. Grandma began to cry and pleaded with Carlos not to go through with this. Carlos told grandma he was going.

Grandpa on the other hand told Carlos that if he goes through with his plan that he was never to return home, that he was out of the family. Grandma begged grandpa not to do this but he didn't back down.

I listened from my bedroom. I cried. Carlos was my big brother. I didn't want him to go. He was my world. The day he left was the last time I saw him but it wasn't the last time I would hear from him. Over the years Carlos sent me letters. I read those letters many times. It was the only way I can be close to Carlos."

This is so heartbreaking. I can't even imagine the pain my mother is going through. Losing someone special, not being able to have your family with you is heartbreaking.

My mother continues. "Over the years grandpa became depressed and started drinking. Grandma became a recluse hardly ever going out or seeing her friends. I barely talked to grandpa. It hurt too much.

On grandpa' deathbed I forgave him for what he did. He apologized to grandma and he made us promise to find Carlos and make amends with him.

Grandma found Carlos a year ago. I've talked with him many times about my life, you, your brother and sister. He's very excited to have nieces and nephews.

Carlos is married to a woman named Isabel. They have four kids, more cousins to add to the family."

This is amazing. Our family is growing. My mother's beautiful smile is back. I can't wait to meet them. I want our family to be whole and having Carlos and his family here for Christmas will make this a Christmas to remember.

"Is Carlos and his family coming for Christmas?"

"I can answer that question." My grandmother walks in.

My grandmother sits next to me, she grabs my hand and tells me "I'm so very sorry for keeping this secret from you and from the family. I was ashamed that I let my only son leave the way he did. I was ashamed I didn't do more to stop your grandpa. I cried every night for Carlos.

I made a promise to your grandpa to find Carlos and make amends with him. I forgave your grandpa for what he did. I found Carlos or rather he found me. We cried and laughed. He was sad to learn about grandpa's death.

Carlos forgave grandpa and me. I was so happy to hear how well he did after the war ended. I was happy to learn I have more grandkids. Our family is growing and yes Carlos and his family are coming for Christmas."

I hugged my mom and grandma. Wow, this is amazing. I can feel a heavy burden has been lifted from my mom and grandma.

It's Christmas Eve, the Salinas clan including my uncle and his family will be arriving very soon. I've been in the kitchen helping my mom and grandma cook. The food smells delicious.

I check the time it's 4 pm. I need to get dressed and so does my mom and grandma. We head upstairs. Ten minutes later we come down in our best clothes.

The bell rings. My grandma goes to answer. I hear my grandma cry. I go to her and wrap my arms around her. I look at the man, It's my uncle.

My mom comes and hugs Carlos. She introduces me "Carlos, this is Esmeralda, your niece."

I say hi and hug him. He introduces his wife Isabel and their four kids, Jennifer, Karla, Juan Carlos and Lola.

My brother Hector and sister Jacqueline enter the house and meet our uncle, aunt and cousins. We talk and laugh.

Little by little the Salinas clan begin to come to my house. Everyone is excited to see Carlos. I put on music. We dance, eat and open presents.

This Christmas is truly one I will remember for a long time. The Salinas family is whole again. Finally Tio Carlos is home for Christmas.

December 29, 2022 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wendy Kaminski
02:26 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you for extending the season just a bit longer with this heart-warming family reunion!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.