7 comments

Romance

For someone of a relatively young age, this was to be Tara’s fourth, and last blind date – although this was something of which she was not yet aware.

She was aware, however, of the butterflies fluttering delicately in her stomach as she wondered what this encounter would be like. Would he find her attractive or would he even care? She felt that the male of the species often decided instantly as to whether the girl was suitable as a partner or in the “wham, bam, thank you ma’am” category! And she wasn’t too happy to even be considered one of the latter.

She was beautiful with long, shining, chestnut red hair that floated down her back as she walked. That, combined with her stunning, slightly slanted, brown eyes, almost made you catch your breath. Incredible that she should need to be on a blind date.

Her aristocratic, aloof, dignified and independent air was off putting to the opposite sex. Nevertheless, underneath that façade she had a loyal, sensitive nature, was happy, almost clownish, and had an absolute love for those she thought of as hers. But she desperately wanted her own family to care for and keep.

Her three previous blind dates had not been good. There was the tall dark handsome Boris (of Russian descent) who slightly scared her. He was smart and confident in his own skin. He had worked for the military but kept his secrets to himself. She could see that he also had a stubborn streak, and although he liked children, she just didn’t feel confident in him as a life partner with her offspring. Needless to say, as the first date was unproductive, there wasn’t a second. The more she thought about her past endeavours the more anxious she got, as she constantly paced up and down, occasionally glancing sideways in the full length hall mirror to reassure herself.

She reflected on the second blind date and smiled to herself. He was certainly a different kettle of fish – a bit of a Jack the lad! She had fallen for his wicked charms, forgetting how this might affect their offspring, something that was her constant underlying need. Henry was a retired boxer – with a big, muscular physique and a personality that encompassed so much - stubbornness, self-confidence, cheerfulness and fearlessness to name but a few! Unfortunately, he was a complete goofball! Despite her own slightly off-piste nature, she just wasn’t on his wavelength. So that date also did not have a happy outcome. 

She had hoped for third time lucky, but the minute she saw Milo she had her doubts. He was a bit older than her with white hair interspersed with grey that had once been black. His piercing blue eyes, that seemed to see into her soul, had a slightly menacing look about them, or perhaps that was just her imagination. He loved the outdoors and definitely didn’t want to feel constrained. You could almost call it a wanderlust. She really didn’t feel he would want to be tied down with a family, so made no secret of the fact she did not relish his advances.

Coming out of her reverie she knew it was time to go………………..

She sat in the car wondering what this encounter would bring – perhaps it might be fourth time lucky, after all, she wasn’t getting any younger!

She was the first to enter the room and looked up, expectantly, when the door opened. 

Then she saw Alexander – wow!  He completely took her breath away, and she nearly buckled at the knees. He was the equivalent of a Greek god. He tended to wear his immaculately groomed, light blond hair, rather on the long side. Not only was there a similar look about them, but their dispositions were fairly matched.  He had an air of free-spirited elegance about him.  But he was used to his aloof but comical nature providing hours of entertainment for those around him. He was aristocratic and a real gentleman.

When it came to blind dates, there were so many similarities in their two stories that, hopefully and unbeknown to them, the stars might actually align for them both making this fourth time lucky. 

   ---------------------------------------------------------

A few hours earlier Alexander had been preparing for the big day. He wasn’t too nervous as he knew he was a good catch (without being arrogant) and would make someone a perfect partner. He was more than ready to start a family of his own, but it would have to be right – he didn’t want to settle for just anybody.

Although the problem had always been finding that perfect person.

Now he was also on his way in the car, reflecting on his three past attempts at blind dates.

 His first rendezvous was with Belle – a French beauty from the Pyrenees. His heart raced when he saw her. Her hair was white and of medium length while her incredible eyes were as black as coal. He could almost sink into their depths. She was highly intelligent, energetic, mischievous but a bit of a workaholic. As the meeting continued he thought he was making progress until he realised that her heart was not in it – she already had another lover, the consequences of which were not yet apparent!

His second encounter had been with the golden-haired Goldie, a slightly more mature lady whose disposition, apart from liking food too much, was reliable, adaptable and very sociable. Lovely as she was though, her motherliness prevented him from having any serious amorous intentions, leaving him to admit that she just didn’t float his boat (not quite his usual vocabulary), thus making him feel extremely guilty.

 Still he didn’t want to settle for anything but love so he entered his third attempt with enthusiasm. Bonnie was a pretty Scottish girl with almond shaped eyes set in an exquisite heart shaped face. Her multicoloured hair, soft and silky, framed her face to perfection. She possessed a very loving, sweet, appealing personality and keen intelligence. She had quite a mixed temperament. Extremely shy and reserved, although very responsive to the moods and stress of others, she could also be somewhat clingy.  To this end she much preferred to be out with the sheep amongst the hills and the heather, and eventually, quietly communicated this to Alexander, whereupon he decided not to pursue the matter.

Finally, the car stopped. At last he entered to room to find Tara already there. He took one look at her and was immediately bowled over by her grace and elegant beauty. He was gone – hook, line and sinker! There was no doubt about it - this time all his Christmases had come at once!  She was the one for him and, by the look in her eye, she was feeling the same rush of emotions. They just gazed at each other for, what seemed like, an eternity. 

  ……………………………………………………………………………………………….

Some time later, two women came into the room looking pleased with themselves.

“There you are Sally.” Said Teresa excitedly, “I just knew we’d got it right this time. See they can’t take their eyes off each other.”

“Yes, I do believe we’ve nailed it this time.” Sally answered her sister with a smile. “I’m so glad Alexander’s going home with you as this will probably be his last effort at being a stud before retirement.  If he’s successful I think it’s fantastic that you’re going to keep one of the puppies. It will be so sweet for him to have his own family after all.”

Teresa smiled ruefully, “Yes, well I’m glad we stopped messing about with different breeds trying to come up with something new. After all Tara had no luck with Boris, the Black Russian Terrier, Henry the Boxer or Milo the Siberian Husky. And Alexander just didn’t make it with Belle, the Pyrenean Shepherd or Goldie, the Labrador Retriever and failed miserably with Bonnie the Rough Collie.”

They both agreed it wasn’t a good idea to play God with the dogs, as the two Afghan Hounds seemed to prove that breeding like with like probably is best!

Meanwhile Alexander was thinking he’d never have believed this feeling of spontaneous love could be possible, whilst Tara’s mind was buzzing with the thought that their puppies would be perfect and that they would all make the most wonderful family (making her dreams come true!)

August 24, 2020 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Vinci Lam
19:10 Aug 31, 2020

Hilarious twist there! Usually I can see it coming, but beyond thinking "wow, the author's really throwing in a lot of diverse characters here", I had no idea. Great job!

Reply

Chris Manders
07:32 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you so much - I love a twist at the end (my son is very good at that!) but it's not always easy to fool folk until the last minute!

Reply

Vinci Lam
20:39 Sep 04, 2020

No, you are so right! I also love twists at the end. A lot of the time I think of a twist before I even start developing the story around it. You definitely did a great job here. Is your son on Reedsy as well?

Reply

Chris Manders
22:46 Sep 04, 2020

Yes he's Phil Manders. I must admit I feel as if I need a twist every time but it's not always easy to accomplish.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
P. Jean
12:49 Aug 27, 2020

I loved this story. You drew me in, kept my interest then the twist. Perfect!

Reply

Chris Manders
20:42 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you so much - am very new to this!

Reply

P. Jean
20:57 Aug 27, 2020

You are very welcome. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.