0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

Sophie loved exploring, and today, she was making her way through the brush and forest to find places that remained yet undiscovered. Her best friend, Abby, had ditched her in favor of shopping with her Mom, but Sophie preferred trekking through the woods any day to picking out a new outfit.

As she topped a hill, she saw a small house she’d never spotted during her travels in the woods, situated just inside a large copse of trees. It was then, and in vivid detail, she recalled a dream the previous night about a house that looked identical to this one other than for the fact the house in the dream had not been abandoned. But try as she might, she could not recall much more about the dream other than a woman had stood on its porch. Well, there was certainly no woman on the porch of this dilapidated house, so it could have been no other than a strange coincidence she'd dreamt such a dream about a similar house. It was peculiar, however, that she’d never stumbled upon this house before now. Perhaps the oaks and pines with their moss had disguised it from the prey of unwelcome eyes.  

Sophie drew near the house and saw the front door was ajar, a front window was open, and the front screen porch door and several shutters were hanging from their hinges. It was possible the home had been abandoned longer than she'd suspected. Knowing her mother would tan her backside for entering the house, she nonetheless headed straight for it, walking up the porch steps.

“Hello?” Sophie yelled, but the only sound that came back to her was an faint echo.

“Is anyone home?” she yelled again, this time louder, but still, no response. There was no doubt the house was abandoned. No one would leave their door and window open like this, and the house was far too dilapidated.

Curious, Sophie raised her hand to push against the door, but it wouldn’t budge. Using her shoulder and the force of her twelve-year old body, she pushed harder, but still to no avail. The door wasn’t budging, no matter what she did, and it wasn't open enough for her to squeeze through the opening.

Turning around, she eyed the window down from the front door. It was a large window and fully open as if someone had already taken advantage of it to explore the empty house. Looking around for signs of anyone again and not seeing a soul, Sophie headed down the steps and to the open window, searching all about for anything she could use as a step stool. Spying a small stump, she rolled it toward the open window. If she stood on the stump and then hefted herself up, she’d be able to climb inside with no problem.

Once the stump was beneath the window, Sophie stood on it and peered inside, ensuring that no one resided in this lonely looking home. Her mind raced with curiosity once she saw the tattered remnants of a bedspread and yellowed pillows scattered about the room. Pictures hung askew on the faded wallpaper. The furniture was old and the drawers were pulled open, appearing to be empty.

Bracing herself on the window, Sophie hoisted herself over the crumbling ledge. Before she could maneuver her way completely inside the house, a piece of it gave way, and she fell inward and onto the floor.

“Ouch!” she cried as she fell, closing her eyes as she hit the hardwood flooring with a thud. Opening her eyes, she immediately checked her elbow and knee to make sure there was no substantial damage before she looked up and peered at her surroundings.

Mystified, Sophie stared in wonder. The room was very different than it had appeared when she'd peered in from the outside. It was a beautiful and spacious room, with splendid coverings on the bed, fresh pillows, and colorful paintings of flowers on the walls. There was a beautiful mahogany dressing table that gleamed in the sunlight. It was decorated with crocheted cloths and porcelain knickknacks and all the drawers were closed. A crystal atomizer full of an amber liquid was nestled on a tray along with a silver comb and brush set atop the dresser.

Rubbing her eyes in disbelief, Sophie gazed all about the room. What the heck had happened? Where was she? Had she entered some magical world when she'd fallen through the open window? There seemed to be no other explanation. Being twelve, she was logical enough to know that fairy tales and magic didn’t really exist, but then again, she couldn't explain what had just happened.

“Hello?” she yelled, but this time her voice was weak, croaking from surprise.

Nothing. Dead silence.

Slowly, lest she make a sound, Sophie made her way to the dressing table and sat on the small stool in front of it. The oval mirror in the center of the table reflected her surprised visage. Her fingers trailed lightly over the gleaming wood and crocheted doily. Interestingly enough, there was not one speck of dust. Carefully, she picked up a small, white onyx elephant and fingered it before placing it back where it had originally rested. On the left-hand side, she found a lovely music box covered with brocade silk or tapestry. As she opened its lid, it began to play Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake. It was lined with a blue silk and nestled within were pieces of shiny jewelry, including a pair of earrings made from the clearest and most beautiful blue stones Sophie had ever seen.

She slowly lifted the earrings and pretended they hung from her ears. She looked quite sophisticated despite being only twelve years of age. Not daring to actually try the earrings on, she placed them back inside the box before she pulled out a ring with a large green stone. It was encircled with diamonds. Unable to stop herself, Sophie slipped the beautiful ring on her finger. As she was admiring it on her hand, she looked up at the mirror and gasped. Directly behind her stood a smiling woman who wore a flowing white dress. She was beautiful.

Quickly, Sophie removed the ring and spun around in her seat. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t think.....” Her voice trailed off as she realized no one was there. Her heart beat rapidly. She thought she'd seen the woman in the mirror, but where was she? She tried to gather herself. She had probably only imagined her She was not about to leave this house now when it appeared to have so many surprises.

Sophie stood and walked to the bed. Stepping on the stool beside it, she sat upon the soft mattress and fell backwards, encompassed in its softness and silky coverings, pillows all about her. This was heaven! She closed her eyes, relishing the feel of the luxurious bed.

Moments later, she opened her eyes to find the woman standing next to the bed. She was still smiling as she watched Sophie.

“Hello, Sophie,” the woman said. “I’ve been expecting you.”

Startled, Sophie bolted up and came face to face with the woman in white. She was lovely. “Hello,” Sophie croaked. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t know this was your home.” In her surprise, it had not even dawned on her that the woman had called her by name. It did, however, occur to her that this woman looked very much like the one in her dream the previous night.

“Don’t be sorry, dear. I have tea and biscuits for us.” She extended her hand toward a small table set with tea on the other side of the room. Her voice was soft and lyrical, her image nearly ethereal.

Sophie eyed the woman, tempted to reach out and touch her to ensure she was as real as she looked and sounded.

“Tea? Biscuits? You’ve been expecting me?” she asked.

“Yes, Sophie. Shall we?” The woman headed to the table with tea and biscuits, seeming to float across the hardwood floors.

Intrigued, Sophie followed. “Thank you,” she said as she took a seat and watched the woman pour steaming tea into dainty china cups covered with hand painted violets.

“And so, how is Sophie today?” the woman asked as she placed a cup of tea before Sophie.

“I’m fine,” Sophie answered. “Have we met before? I feel as though I know you - or you know me.” Sophie didn't mention her dream to the woman, but she was distinctly reminded yet again of the coincidence of seeing this woman in it.

“No dear, we haven't met, but we know one another in different sense. I’m Genevieve.” The woman smiled as she took a seat across from Sophie. “Biscuit, dear?” she asked.

A different sense? Sophie picked up a biscuit and absent-mindedly bit into it. It melted in her mouth - it was delicious! Eagerly, she picked up another. Genevieve watched, continuing to smile as she sipped her tea.

Moments passed and then Genevieve stood and walked to the dressing table. She picked up the small elephant and returned to where Sophie sat.

“Sophie, please keep this elephant to remind you of our special day together. And please take all the biscuits you’d like. I have a handkerchief that you may wrap them in for safekeeping.”

Genevieve placed the small elephant in front of Sophie and then handed her a lace-trimmed handkerchief which she proceeded to pile with the delicious sweet biscuits. Even as she did so, the biscuits magically replenished themselves on the platter.

Sophie’s eyed widened. “Thank you,” she politely murmured.

“You’re as pretty as your mother, dear,” the woman said.

“You know my Mother?” Sophie asked, surprised.

“Yes, we met many years ago. She was as special as you are.”

Sophie’s mind raced. First of all, this was definitely a magical, ghostly type of place. Secondly, her mother had never mentioned anything about this house or anyone named Genevieve. Sophie was confused, and though she knew she was wide awake, she still wondered if she was dreaming.

Genevieve stood and walked to the window, peering out. “It’s getting late, dear. Your mother will be worried if you’re not home soon.”

Sophie realized it was nearly five o’clock, and Genevieve was right, and besides, she had a ton of questions for her mom. She stood and brushed the biscuit crumbs from her lap.

“Don’t forget your biscuits and the elephant, dear,” Genevieve said. “I’m so glad you came. It’s been lovely to meet you.”

Holding the handkerchief full of biscuits in one hand, Sophie stuffed the little elephant in her pocket, She stretched out her other hand and said, “Thank you, Miss Genevieve.”

The woman smiled as she took Sophie’s hand warmly in both of hers. “The pleasure has been all mine, sweet girl.”

Sophie smiled and then went to the open window. She turned, intending to give one final wave to Genevieve, but she found the room completely empty. Genevieve had disappeared. Maybe she was dreaming after all or maybe Genevieve really was a ghost.

Sophie managed to climb over the window’s ledge and then peered inside the room from the tree stump. Amazingly, the room was again abandoned and in disarray. There was no beautiful bed, no lovely furnishings, and no Genevieve.

More confused than ever, Sophie hurried home before her mother sent out a search party. Once she arrived home, she entered the backdoor and found her mom standing at the stove. She barely glanced at Sophie as she came through the door and helped herself to a glass of cold water. Sophie took a seat at the table and emptied her pockets. Carefully, she stood the elephant up in front of her, knowing her mother would see it immediately.

Placing a lid on a steaming pot, Sophie’s mother turned around. “So how was……?” her voice trailed off as she took note of the elephant. Slowly, she walked toward the table and took a seat, watching Sophie the entire time.

Sophie raised an eyebrow and stared back at her mother questioningly.

Finally breaking the silence, her mother spoke. “I see you met Genevieve. She’s very nice, isn’t she? Were the biscuits still delicious?”

Sophie pointed to the handkerchief. “See for yourself,” she said quietly, turning to unwrap the lacy handkerchief. But as she did so, it fell flat; it was completely empty.

Astonishment filled Sophie’s face, but her mother merely smiled an all-knowing smile. “But the elephant is very real, dear.”

Her mother rose and left the room, returning moments later with an identical elephant in her hand. She resumed her seat and sat the elephant on the table next to Sophie’s.

“What in the world?” Sophie’s eyes grew wider and larger than before. “Who is Genevieve? Is she some kind of ghost?”

Her mother reached down into her pocket and retrieved a very old picture, placing it on the table. It was yellowed, yet still a beautiful picture of the woman Sophie had encountered that afternoon. Genevieve was as pretty in the picture as she had been in person.

“Genevieve is a very old relative; Sophie. In fact, she is your Great-Great-Grandmother. And yes, I guess you could say she’s a ghost. She likes to meet every female born into our family no matter how many years pass, and she continues to watch over us,” her mother said.

Sophie picked up the two elephants. As she did so, her mother reached into her other pocket and pulled out yet another two elephants. “These were my mother’s and grandmother's elephants.” She laughed. “I guess you could say we have our own herd of elephants in this family.” It was true. As long as Genevieve continued to watch out for the family, the family’s herd of elephants would grow.

Her mother grew a bit serious before she said, “You are very special, Sophie, and Genevieve has made sure you will stay so. Did you know that elephants are a symbol of good fortune, prosperity, power, wisdom, vitality, and protection from all evil? Genevieve is quite purposeful about why she gives us the elephant. You must always take special care of it.”

Sophie nodded, strangely aware that she been granted a once in a lifetime magical and wondrous experience that she'd always remember. It would a treasure in her heart and mind for all of her years.

That night as she prepared for bed, Sophie carefully placed the elephant on Genevieve's handkerchief next to her bed where it would be able to watch over her as she slept. She would never forget Genevieve or the magical experience she’d had this day. She hoped that one day she’d have a daughter who would be able to experience the same magic and mystery of Genevieve.

Feeling immensely privileged and well-loved, Sophie fell asleep with visions of tables laden with tea, scrumptious biscuits, and statues of beautifully decorated elephants. It was a beautiful dream.

July 22, 2021 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.