2 comments

Coming of Age Happy Fiction

“I know you’re excited. But we go in together, okay? And you stick close to me and your dad, always.” Kitty nodded impatiently at her mom’s lecture. They were stuck in an unmoving line, leading straight into the entrance of the Sunset Peak Festival. This family trip, which had started as a one-off impulse travel, had quickly become an annual tradition for the three of them. Kitty had waited endlessly for the day when they would come back, pushing the patience of her parents with never ending questions. But finally, after another year, she was here. And she was ready.

Within a few minutes that felt like an eternity, the line finally moved forward, and the Valdes family quickly entered the festival grounds. The festival came to life around them, in a chorus of lights, sounds, and sights. There was the classic carousel, and over there the ring toss everyone knew was rigged, and the-

Oh. That one’s new!

Kitty bounded over to the new skill game, her red sneakers tapping the floor beneath her. She stood outside the booth, entranced, as toy ducks circled the center and the players tried desperately to catch them. Most would give up after a few tries, amidst the teasings of their friends or the laughs of their partners. One guy, however, managed to score one of the smaller ducks, and happily chose out a gigantic teddy bear from the prizes. It had to be at least twice the size of Kitty, and about five times as cuddly. And she wanted it.

“Mom, can we-,” the girl turned around, only to see air where her parents were usually standing. The familiar tightness around her arm was gone, replaced by… nothing.

She was alone.

The young girl quickly began spinning around, fighting back tears and frustration as she scanned the sea of strangers. She didn’t want to cry. Not here—not in front of everyone. But as the seconds passed,  and not a single familiar face passed by, the tears became harder and harder to fight back.

Suddenly, she sees it. A flash of red, slightly off in the distance. She remembers the red purse her mom always carried, no matter the occasion. The chances are low, but Kitty is already running there without a second thought.

Blinded by tears, she can’t stop herself in time before bumping into the stranger. She looks up, only to see a red streak of hair be whipped away as the teen looks back down on the child.

===

Kat doesn’t quite know what just happened. All she knows is, kids don’t usually bump full speed into others. Not without a parent following them, at least.

“Ohmygosh. Are you okay?” She crouches down to help the small kid up to her feet. That’s when she notices the tears flowing down from her eyes.

“Oh, don’t cry! I’m so sorry I bumped into you. Are you hurt? Where are your parents?” Kat looks up to scan the crowd, hoping to find some worried mom rushing at them. But there is no one.

“Sorry.” The kid manages to get the word out in between tears. “I don’t, sniff, I don’t know where my mom is. I looked away and… they were gone!”

Ah. That explains it. “Don’t cry anymore, okay? What’s your name?”

“Kitty.”

“That’s a cute name. Kitty, I’m gonna help you find your parents, okay?”

“Mommy says not to trust strangers," the child answered.

“My name’s Kat. See, not strangers anymore, right?” Kat’s gentle tone seemed to cheer the girl up slightly. “We’re gonna walk now. I need you to be strong for me, okay? Let me know if you see your parents.”

“Okayyy.” A few final sniffs, and Kitty finally managed to pick herself up off the ground, letting herself be guided by the older girl. “Don’t let go, please,” she begged, her grip tightening on Kat’s hand.

“I won't, don’t worry.” Kat’s fingers enclosed the young child’s. “You know, I used to know another girl named Kitty once. The most beautiful red shoes, just like yours. She got lost too, in a place just like this.”

“Really?” the little girl asked inquisitively.

“Yep! Wandered off, couldn’t for the life of her find her parents.”

“Then what happened?”

“She-” Kat pauses for a moment, letting the trauma of fear and loneliness pass through her. She still remembers how she felt. Her brain has made sure it is forever engraved in her memory, clear as the day it happened. “She found some nice people. They gave her comfort. Strength. And one of those big, big, stuffed animals. Most of all, they gave her back to her parents.” She hesitates again. “And just to make sure she never got lost again in a sea of strangers, you know what she did?”

“What?”

“She put red in her hair. Not a lot. Not the whole thing. Just enough so that she’d stand out whenever she needed to.

“Just like yours?”

“Exactly like mine. Would you like that, Kitty?”

“Yeah!” The girl answered enthusiastically, her mood shifting to optimism in a few moments.

“Me too. So let’s find your parents, okay?” She scanned the crowd, a flash of a different kind of red catching her eye: A woman in a red jacket, walkie-talkie in hand, rushing through the crowd. Even better, she bore a nametag, something only the festival employees would ever have.

“Stay close, okay Kitty? Let’s go.”

===

K.V. was stressed. She thought volunteering at this year’s festival would be another quick stop of her life, another point to add to her growing resume as she jumped from job to job. Instead, it was turning out more frustrating than her stints in retail and the asshole bosses she’d pushed through hell for. A lazy employee or two, she’d dealt with before. But to have a whole group miss their meeting? Unheard of.

She was about to ring them again when a tap on her shoulder caught her attention. She turned around, and the first thought on her mind was:

Oh please. Don’t try too hard. Seeing the teen’s streak of red hair brought her back to her own younger years, full of rebellious phases and breaking the rules. Hell, she was pretty sure she had the exact same style at one point. All in an effort to look unique.

And for what? What did that bring her? Dead end jobs and uncertain futures?

“Um, Ma’am?” The teen spoke up, interrupting K.V.’s thoughts.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she answered.

“Well, uh, Kitty here,” she motioned to the young girl clinging to her hand, “lost her parents. We were hoping you could, maybe, help find them?”

“Hmmm.” K.V. glanced at her watch. The meeting should’ve been over by now, anyways. She’d have to tear into the other volunteers later. “Alright. I’ll try to make an announcement.” Pressing the side of her walkie-talkie, she spoke into it: “Security, I have a lost kid with me here. Over.”

No response. “Security, I have a lost kid with me, please advise. Over.”

No response again. In fact, not even static was coming through the device’s speakers. She cursed under her breath, Out of battery already. Cheap ass festival, I swear. “Come on, both of you,” she motioned to the 2 girls. “I’ll bring you to the security office.” K.V. then immediately broke into a brisk walk, leaving the younger ones to catch up.

“Hey, wait up!” The teen shouted from behind her. K.V. didn’t change pace.

“Ma’am, slow down!” The teen had caught up to her now, trying to match her pace, and was even carrying the child on her shoulders. “She’s only a child, relax! Also, won’t you need like, her name or something?” Without waiting for an answer, she continued. “I’m Kat, and this is Kitty.”

That made K.V. pause.  “Kitty. What’s your last name?”

“Valdes,” the girl softly said.

K.V.’s widening eyes betrayed her surprise, but they were gone in the next moment. Both of the other girls missed it as Kat lowered Kitty to the ground. K.V. crouched to meet the latter’s eyes.

“I’m… sorry for the rush. But I can’t do much on my own. The people at the office, they can help you find your parents again. We just have to get there. Okay?”

“Okay,” Kitty answered meekly.

“Good!” She straightened up. “I’m K.V., by the way.” And with that, she began her walk again, at a slower pace this time.

“Why K.V.?” Kitty asked, voicing the question hanging in the air.

“Hm?”

“K.V.’s a weird name.”

“Ah. Well, it’s my pen name, actually.”

“So you’re an author?” asked Kat.

“Um, kind of. Haven’t really been published yet. But my hopes are high. Plus, putting “K.V.” on the cover apparently helps in getting sales," said K.V. Kat answered with a puzzled look. “Hey, don’t look at me,” K.V. continued. “That’s what my editor said. For me, it’s just my way of standing out.”

“Like Kat’s red hair!” exclaimed Kitty.

“Yeah. Like her red hair. Gotta say, that’s a bit of “trying too hard,” isn’t it?”

“Go on?” Kat asked defensively.

K.V. threw her hands up. “I’m just saying, everyone’s doing it now. If you wanted to be unique, you’re taking the wrong direction.”

“Uh huh. And you suggest, what exactly? Putting my initials as my real name?”

“Hey! If it works, it works!”

Before the argument could continue, Kitty from below them spoke up again. “I’m tired. Can we sit down?”

“I don’t-” K.V. was interrupted by Kat staring her down.

Without looking away, the teen answered. “Of course. We’ve been walking all day. Let’s look for a bench.”

In a few minutes, all three of them had managed to sit down. K.V. was constantly checking her watch, making sure she wasn’t late, while Kitty had peacefully dozed off on Kat’s lap. The teen watched as the droves of strangers passed by. She was surprised by the turn of today’s events, and even more surprised by her friends not even messaging her once. Were they really not even looking for her?

“We’re wasting time here,” K.V. said.

“Relax. It’s not like her parents are gonna leave without her,” Kat answered.

“Yeah, but if they start calling the police…”

“It’s an easy enough argument that her mom and dad lost her somewhere.”

“The festival could fall apart-”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry too much, dear,” a new voice and a flash of red came from the people passing by in front of them. The speaker emerged from the crowd: a woman in her late 50’s, a red scarf wrapped around her neck, and a gigantic stuffed animal in her arms. She smiled at the three in front of her. “She always gets found in the end. Or rather, we always do.”

===

“I’m Ina,” the older woman began. “And if you’re K.V.,” she continued, motioning at the stunned woman, “Then you must be Kat,” she motioned at the equally stunned teen this time. “And this child here must be the lost Kitty.” A final gesture towards the sleeping child.

“How do you know all that?” Kat asked.

“Oh, I’ve seen it plenty before,” she answered vaguely. “Make space on that bench. I can’t quite move like you can anymore.” She sat down at the end, letting out a sigh of relief as she relaxed.

“What do you mean you’ve seen it?” Kat continued.

“Exactly that. I’ve seen it all happen. Once, as that sleeping kid right here. Thought of it as one very weird dream with some very nice women. Second time was when the deja vu hit. Third? That’s when the realization smacked me in the face.”

“And this is your fourth,” K.V. said suddenly.

“Now you’re getting it.” Ina leaned back and smiled contentedly. leaving Kat confused and K.V. in shock.

“What do you mean, four-” Kat began.

“Did we make it?” K.V. interrupted. “Ina. Did we get to it? Are my stories… out there?”

The older woman chuckled. “Ah, but if I tell you, it may never happen!”

“Please!” The emotions were bursting from K.V. now. “I need to know! Tell me if it’s worth it!” She paused, putting her voice in check. “I’m—I’m always gonna keep trying. I can’t give it up. But bouncing from place to place, job to job… I’m tired. I’m so, so, tired. I have to know. Please.”

Ina smiled at her. “There are no stories by K.V. out there.” K.V.’s shoulders slumped in disappointment. “But,” her face was raised by Ina’s hand, and the older woman whispered in her ear. “You still have stories out there. Not just by the person you so desperately want to be. But written by the person you already are.” Ina pulled away, letting the words connect in K.V.’s head.

In a few moments, K.V. quickly stood up. “The office is nearby. I’ll go get help already. Be right back.” She quickly turns and walks away, her speed hiding the giant smile growing on her face and the tears pooling in her eyes.

“And as for you, Kat,” Ina turned to the teen, who had watched it all go down with surprise on her face. “I have heard endless talks from people my age. Always complaining about how hard it is to connect to their teenagers. How they weren’t like that when they were teens. Me? I get a rare chance. I get to look back. I get to look at you.”

“You talk like I’ve met you before,” Kat responded.

“You haven’t. Not quite yet. Tell me, Kat. Why did you do this?”

“Do what?”

“Go out of your way completely for Kitty. You had a whole day with your friends planned. Did you really expect yourself to be sitting on a bench, your younger self sleeping on your lap, your older self talking to you?”

“I- No- Whatdidyousay?”

Ina’s warm smile was directed at Kat now. “In a few hours, your boyfriend will break up with you. I’m telling you this, because it’s an event set in stone. Your friends are all aware, and they’re scared of contacting you because of it.”

“What? Why are you telling me this?”

“Because, my dear, it will break you. It will hurt more than anything you’ve ever felt before. I was warned, too, and the pain still stings today. But it is important for you to remember: other people will never define who you are, or what you should do, or the you you will become.”

“But… you’re another person that’s telling me what to do.”

Ina laughed at that, loud enough to wake up Kitty. “Was I always that sassy at that age? True, you could always ignore my advice. Pretend this whole thing never happened. But I’m still you, Kat. Even past all the wrinkles and the gray hairs.”

“Ew.”

“Ew, indeed.”

“Mom?” Kitty spoke up, her tired eyes barely registering Ina’s face.

“Ah. Looks like the little one’s finally up. Whatever happens next, Kat, just know this: you went out of your way for a little girl you’ve never met. There was almost no hope of success, but you will still succeed either way. You are a beautiful person. I know no one tells you that right now, but everyone always needs to hear it. Plus,” Ina stood up now, ”you’ll hear it plenty when you start dating your husband.” She winked at the teen, who was still speechless.

“I’m gonna be like you, and K.V., won’t I?” asked Kat.

Ina shrugged. “Maybe. Who knows what path you’ll take?” She bent down to the drowsy child. “Hello there, Kitty. No, I’m not your mom. But your parents are on the way. And I have a gift for you!” She brought the giant stuffed animal to view, and Kitty, overjoyed, immediately began hugging it. “My husband won that for me, but uhhh, it needs a life of love. More than I can ever give. Treat it right for me, okay?”

The child nodded. Ina stood up now, wrapping her red scarf around Kat’s neck. “You’ll need this.” A final smile, and the woman disappeared into the crowd.

Just as she vanished, did two figures appear, running up to the bench. “Kitty!” one of them shouted. It was a shout of joy, of relief, of a mother’s love, and the family of three was finally reunited.

“Katherina Valdes! Don’t you ever disappear like that again!” The mother exclaims, as all three pull into a deep hug of tears and warmth.

Kitty peeks through the mass of her parents at the bench, hoping to say a final goodbye to her rescuers. But the bench is empty, a giant stuffed animal the only reminder of anything that has happened. In the crowd, she can barely see the faint flashes of a red scarf, as it disappears once more from sight.

A final familiar drop, in an infinite sea of strangers.

May 13, 2021 16:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ado Ree
07:01 May 16, 2021

WOWW! Its such a unique plot! I loved it, I was smiling all along beautiful :)

Reply

Carlo Sarrosa
13:22 May 16, 2021

Thank you so much!! Tried something a bit different than my usual, and I'm really glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.