2 comments

General

-         Shut up, - barked Nikolay Petrovich.

-         This is how you talk to me now! Oh God…It`s unbearable! One more business trip!

-         Tanya, why would you whine all the time? Won`t you understand – I do this for promotion, after all.

-         Promotion! What an office word! Your son is turning eight tomorrow! You do not promote, you just step on our desperate toes!

The wife of Nikolay Petrovich was an art scholar on a protracted maternity leave, pregnant with the second child and so obsessed with long, vivid judgements.

-         You are a boss already!

-         The head of the department, - corrected her Nikolay Petrovich in a distinctive and polite manner.

-         Oh God! Don`t bother me with you details, - the wife was red and wet in tears. – What should I do with Volodya?

-         With Volodya! You are asking me, what should you do with Volodya! – The husband scornfully glazed at her big belly under a grey T-shirt. He recognized an unwashed stain. – You`d better think about this! – By saying the word “this” he sticked a finger in her stomach.

The wife produced strange, high pitched sound, whispered something with her gluey lips and left the room, closing the door with no sound.

The thoughts of Nikolay Petrovich moved feverishly. Dissapointed by the fact that his crying wife will not help him to pack, he opened the wardrobe and thought deeply.

What`s the weather in Sochi? Am I going to stay in mountains or by the sea? But damn it, we will go to sauna anymay, - that was what he concluded and put one pair of bathing trunks in his suitcase. Then he took two bottles of vodka and some boxes of chocolate (just in case) and covered everything with a towel. He placed an office folder on top. After sitting on the suitcase he turned off the light and left for the airport.

In the morning a young lady, an assistant, was waiting him at the airport. She took Nikolai Petrovich to hotel. Her gentleness at 5 a.m., on weekends, touched him and he fell asleep very pleased and peaceful.

In the afternoon somebody knocked his door. It was Pasha, his university group mate. So puffed up and cheeky, Pasha was a lucky guy, annoying everybody. The point was, that Pasha preferred to pick the friends, among whom Nikolay Petrovich always felt himself inferior, uncomfortable, not good. The root of that was in their and Pasha`s glorious wealth.

-         Hello, come in,- frowned Nikoly Petrovich and got his thick cigarettes out.

Pasha opened the door of a balcony. Burning summer sunlight and the shine of the waves seen behind the trees blinded them.

-         Look, Medyanko, how great is it, - Pasha always called Nikolay Petrovich by his family name, which he knew was exasperating. – I don`t recommend to swim, the water is still cold, - started to babble really fast, jumping from one topic to another, - Nikolay Petrovich did not hear even a half of what Pasha said.

-         Well, now we are going to the restaurant and then we go clu-ubbing! – When saying the word “clubbing” Pasha looked especially stupid and Medyanko just now started to figure out that Pasha was proposing him something. Nikolay Petrovich squeezed his forehead to pain and repaired his line of thinking.

What if I go with this idiot? I will have no time to revise the agreement. What if I refuse? He will complain to Borisych, I know this bastard. What shall I do? What?

-         Medyanko, was Katysha picking you up at the airport? – He asked about the assistant with prolix smile.

-         Yes, Katyu…Katherine. – Nikolay Petrovich was terrified that he can not withstand the pressure of Pasha and counter it with business, dry communication, because he was extremely sleepy and exhausted.

-         Damn it, Paha, let`s go drinking.

Medyanko put his yesterday`s shirt and trousers and trailed after his joyous group mate.

A waitress brought him the wrong salad. He wanted to call her by name, as he usually do with the service personnel workers.

-         Catherine, - he called and then, confused, look at her badge again. Behind the transparent white waiter shirt he recognized two pierced nipples. Nikolay Petrovich swallowed the saliva. The waitress, obviously notices the effect, smiled softly with her painted lips. She turned 34 this year and a hotel restaurant was her last chance.

Pasha bulged eyes and, weirdly laughing, asked her to change the salad.

-         This is the Katya day you are having, - joked Pasha and stresched out on the chair. – What if we go to the Men`s club today?

-         What is Men`s club? – Asked Nikolay Petrovich in a displeased manner, still not defeated the sense of awkwardness brought by the nipples.

-         Where the girls dance!

Vodka started to act and Medyanko, sad and sluggish, agreed.

-         So, what are the plans for tomorrow? – Asked Pasha while driving Medyanko in his spacious car.

-         I am meeting Pyotr Borisych tomorrow.

-         Which?

Medyanko told him the family name.

-         Why didn`t you tell me! He is my number one drinking buddy!

Nikolay Petrovich became alarmed. What if Pasha knows something that he shouldn`t know? What if Pasha told this to Pyotr Borisovich?

It was empty in the club and some more vodka was on the table.

-         These girls, so exciting! Thrilling! –Pasha quickly entered his casual euphoric state. – But why are you alone? Where is your beautiful Tanya?

-         She is pregnant and about to born a child, - answered Nikolay Petrovich, unexpectedly nervous. They heard a low male voice and two female`s laughters. Medyanko was hooked by searing emotion which at that moment he couldn`t explain to himself but was remembering years after.

-         Pâté, a son of a bitch! You didn`t take my calls! – Someone started to shout right from the doorway. – Petrovich, what the hell are you doing here! – He turned his face to Nikolay Petrovich.

A balding, obese, middle aged man happened to be Pyote Borisovich. The eyes of Nikolay Petrovich opened wide and forcefully as if he was counting something. He hopped up and extended his hand to the boss.

-         Good you are here, we will deal with everything quickly… Annyechka, Sonya! Have a seat, - He benignly proposed to two overdressed women that were following him.

-         Having your own in a dub? Well-well-well! – Pasha joked and made two women laugh in a gentle manner. Pyotr Bogdanovich theatrically pulled himself to Pasha and half joking responded:

-         In this city everything is mine – both girls and dubs.

It was sure Pyotr Bogdanovich was drunk already and the combination of his perfume and cognac seemed to enlarge the presence of his already heavy figure.

Medyanko was waiting. All the parts of his doughy, clumsy body were in tension, ready to jump.

-         Well, Petrovich, you start. Why did you want to see me?

-         I want a place of Myasnitskyi. – The face of Nikolay Petrovich sparkled. – I have some proofs that he betrays you.

-         Which proofs?

-         I took an agreement with me. He stole that money.

Pyotr Borisovich laughed, unpleasantly waving with his torso, embarrassing women.

-         It`s only fool why don`t steal! Why didn`t you steal yourself?

-         I don`t have his opportunities.

Pyotr Borisovich laughed again, but much shorter.

-         You show me an agreement tomorrow. Now drink and, for God`s sake, stop fucking around!

Next morning Medyanko got up in a someone else`s room. He was surprised by a female shouting voice.

-         Come on, got up, you, asshole!

It turned out to be that he pressed her long dry hair with his elbow.

-         E-xcuse me, - barely said Nikolay Petrovich, amazed by his strange voice and strange smell in the room.

The mixture of perfume, rubber smell, oriental incenses with fetid sweat truly awakened him. He stood up and realized himself totally naked. He heard young laughters and rushing water and next moment he saw a very young, beautiful guy in a bathrobe, walking through the door. Medyanko also saw the second woman, a brunette, riding the toilet. The boy was glimmering in the water droplets. He delicately looked at Medyanko and greeted him with deep, sweet voice.

-         Borya left. Congratulations to your promotion! – Shined as if this was his secret, special victory.

-         So what? What`s then? – Medyanko stared impatiently at the boy. – What`s then?

-         Don`t worry! Borya left you an advanced payment and made some calls. I will call a taxi for you.

Nikolay Petrovich stretched cracking his vertebrae and started to dress up. He found a large oily spot on his trousers. His head erupted. He was trying to remember the details, but everything that happened to him that night seemed to him like a leap-frog of strange dreams. Hardly fastened a belt, he was stuck by the amount of different shoes around him – matted strips of open-toed, large ugly sneakers and shiny jackboots. He put his shoes on, touched the door handle and then flinched from the boy`s voice.

-         Money, take your money! – Fragrant fresh boy ran up to him, banging with his feet.

-         What money? – Nikolay Petrovich looked at him in despair.

-         In advance! – A boy laughed at these words as if “advance” was something pleasant and funny.

-         Give it, give it to me, -  mumbled Medyanko and ran through the door.

The next date at 6 a.m. he felt an unusual movement in his flat. His wife was packing.

-         How it was? – Asked Tanya.

-         Tanyusha… - Started Nikolay Petrovich, taking glasses off and rubbing his forehead. – I`m so tired.

She has never packed her things. She never even threatened me with that. And now she`s just doing this, in a such enthusiastic way. She just flows away like water and I can`t stop her. Yes, it was a final straw.

-         My news will amuse you, - she just flashed at him with the eyes, as he remembered, full of decisiveness.

How could she be so violent? What did they say to her? And who exactly? Lord! What have I done!

His wife knelt down and her face impressed him with the new, incomprehensible expression.

- What? What? – Asked Nikolay Petrovich trying to keep his fear and the feeling of repentance under control.

-  The partition result arrived,- she said. – We a going to Spain with Volodechka.

- What? – He opened his eyes, not understanding. He forgot about mother-in-law`s death completely.

- Yeah, you see, that house was in property after all. And now it belongs to us! – Her lips were covered by an excited smile. – Such a good present for son!

A heavy, uneasy darkness absorbed Nikolay Petrovich.

-         Are you leaving without me? – He was a very jealous person.

-         Without you, yes! You are working anyway. And I, meanwhile,… - And she started to list all of the housekeeping activities she is going to finish in the next couple of months.

After two hours they were sitting on the suitcases.

-         And what about the promotion? – asked she suddenly.

-         I got it, - answered Nikolay Petrovich.

-         It is good for you. Much better than drinking with Myasnitskyi! – She liked her joke.

After that, Tanya, still laughing, kissed her husband in cheeks, called the son over and then, in a good mood, left for the plane.

February 20, 2020 22:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sam Kirk
03:30 Feb 29, 2020

You had me guessing what would happen next throughout the whole story. You left it open to interpretation. I enjoyed it.

Reply

Daria Valeeva
20:50 Feb 29, 2020

It`s really nice to hear it from you as I also enjoy your stories! It makes me think that I am in a right direction. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.