0 comments

Fiction Friendship Drama

 Death didn’t mean much to Bayton Max Hills. Life didn’t mean much to him either.  He woke up, showered, dressed, ate his breakfast, packed his lunch, always an apple, orange, ham or salami sandwich and a small juice drink. He walked to work the same way every day at the same time every day. He did the same work, talked to the same three people whom he could tolerate in the office, and ignored the rest. He was the boss so he had that option of ignoring people that he didn’t need to interact with, the ones who were like him and came to work did their jobs and went home.  Sometimes there was that rare person who would interrupt his day and ask some questions which he perceived as dumb. On those days he tried to get rid of them as soon as possible. He would look over the rim of his glasses, frown, and make a grumbling noise which sounded like a low moan. He would then answer the question and send them back to their office in hopes that they would not return. Most times they wouldn’t.

Bayton’s apartment was three feet from his neighbor’s apartment in an old Victorian building built in the early 1900’s from what Bayton was told. Mrs. Simpson lived next door to him. He only knew that because of his brief encounters with her she told him her name. Mrs. Anna-Belle Simpson. She was 67 years old, widowed, and had three children and two grandchildren. Her kids lived out of state and she had two sisters. Bayton didn’t particularly care to know the details of someone’s life that he really didn’t want to know well but Anna-Belle liked to talk and she talked to people and apparently cats, since she had three of them. Living directly below Bayton was a young couple who he didn’t speak to more than a handful of times and that was only to say hello at the mailbox. He didn’t know what they did or when they moved in. He barely paid attention to what they looked like. If he had to describe them he couldn’t. 

June 21st started out just like any other day. Bayton woke up at his usual time at 6:15 am and went through his daily routine. He left the house at his usual time after he had his usual breakfast, cereal topped with strawberries, blueberries and a spoonful of sugar. He carefully poured one half cup of milk over the top. He passed by Anna-Belle’s door and stepped over her Tabby cat which was sleeping in front of her door. 

The lights and sirens of the police cars and fire trucks filled the air directly in front of Bayton’s apartment building. There was a crowd of people standing a few feet from his building and a tall policeman writing something on a pad. A shorter woman was talking to him. She was waving her hands in the air and talking fast. The policeman looked as if he struggled to keep up with his notes. Behind him was the entrance to the building. At the entrance of the building there were more policemen and two firemen standing. Bayton stood next to a tall, slim, older man with a brown overcoat on and blue sneakers. He wanted to ask what was going on but before he could speak the man turned to him and asked if he lived there. Bayton nodded.

“Have you heard?” The man asked.

“Heard what?” Bayton responded.

“Someone died in that building.” The man said.

“Died?” Bayton said as he put his briefcase on the sidewalk next to his leg.

“Yes, that’s what I heard. See, that woman over there talking to the cops? She is the sister of the woman who died.” The man continued. 

“Who died? I mean do you know? Which apartment?” Bayton asked. He noticed that his leg started shaking a bit. 

“I don’t know her name but the woman who lived upstairs in the apartment on the left. I think that her sister tried to call her and hadn’t heard from her in a few days so she asked the cops to do a welfare check. They came and found her dead in the living room. One of her cats was still outside of her door. That pretty cat.” The man said.

Bayton’s whole body was shaking. He hoped that nobody noticed. He was thinking that it was Anna-Belle. But, it couldn’t be her. No, not her. He just saw her two days ago checking her mail. He didn’t speak to her. He made it a point of not speaking to her and purposely walking the other way so he didn’t have to. Now, someone is saying that she was possibly dead. That couldn’t be right. 

Bayton pushed his way to the front of the crowd. He was met by a cop who told him to stay back. Bayton explained that he lived in the building and asked if the rumors were true that someone had passed away. 

“Sir, where in the building do you live?” The cop asked.

“In apartment 3C.” Bayton responded.

“I’m sorry to tell you that it was your neighbor in apartment 3D who passed away. I believe that her name is Anna-Bell. It seems she died a few days ago.” The cop explained.

“Oh, I didn’t know.” Bayton said. His body was still shaking.

“Her sister called for a well check. When was the last time you saw her?” The cop asked.

“The day before yesterday. I think. Or the day before. I can’t remember. I saw her at the mailboxes.” Bayton said.

“Okay, thank you.” The cop said and walked away. 

“Hey, when can I go to my apartment?” Bayton asked.

“As soon as we get the body out. That should take only a few more minutes.” The cop answered.

Bayton walked up the few steps to his apartment and turned to look at Anna-Belle’s door. The door was closed as usual but he knew that the door would stay closed and Anna-Belle would never open the door again. He put his jacket down on the white sofa and untied his tie. He could not think about anything else but Anna-Belle. He should have known that something was wrong when he saw her cat outside of her door. But, he didn’t. He just walked down the steps to go to work as he had done for years. He never took the time to notice that her mail was still in the box and the newspaper was in front of he building. Anna-Belle was the only one who still subscribed to a daily newspaper. There were signs that something was wrong but he ignored all of them. He only cared about getting to work and nothing else. How did he get this way? He wondered aloud. 

The knock on the door startled him. He was not expecting anyone. He looked out of the peep hole and didn’t recognize the person standing on the other side of his door. He thought it might be the short woman who was talking to the cops when he walked up to the building but he was not sure. He cautiously opened the door. It was the woman he saw talking to the cops. 

“Hello, my name is Millie and I am Anna-Belle’s sister. You may know that she had three cats. They were like her children. I can’t take all three cats and I know this might sound stupid but I was wondering if you could possibly take them or at least one of them and when I get situated and everything I can make arrangements for someone else to take them. I don’t know if you would mind.” Millie said.

Millie wiped away tears from her cheek and blew her nose with a tissue which looked like it had been used too many times already. She was holding the same cat that Bayton had walked over the other day. The one who was waiting by Anna-Belle’s door. The other two cats were sitting by her feet. 

“I’m so sorry about Anna-Belle. You have my deepest sympathy. She was a lovely woman. Of course, I can take the cats, all of them. Don’t worry. That is the least I can do.” Bayton said.

“Thank you. I will come back for them in about a week or so.” Milie said.

“No worries. You don’t have to hurry. I will take care of them for all the time you need.” Bayton said.

Millie handed her the cat she was holding and the other two cats followed Bayton inside. He now had to get cat food and kitty litter. He noticed that he hadn’t gotten the names of the cats either before she left. He had to come up with names also. At least temporary names. 

For the next couple of weeks Bayton took care of the cats and himself. He even went to the memorial service for Anna-Belle. He wiped a few tears and gave his condolences to her family. He noticed that her sister was in the corner of the room all alone. He walked over to her and gently placed his hand on her shoulder. 

“Oh,  hello. Did you know my sister?” She asked.

“Yes, she and I were neighbors. I must admit that I didn’t know her well but she was a nice woman.” Bayton said.

“Thank you for saying that. My name is Summer. I am the youngest sister. I’m sorry that we had to meet this way. I am glad that you came.” Summer said as she wiped tears from her cheeks and eyes.

“I would not have missed it. Do you want to talk or something? Perhaps get some coffee? You look like you could use a break if you don’t mind me saying.” Bayton said.

“You are right. I do need a break. I know that I should go to the after party at my brother's house but I really don’t feel like going. Not to sound crast or mean but Anna-Belle was my best friend as well as my sister and I just needed some time away from everything. I will take you up on that coffee. “ Summer said.

Bayton and Summer headed for the coffee shop around the corner from the park where the memorial was held. Summer was dressed all in black from head to toe and even had on a black veil which covered half of her face. She cried off and on during the walk and didn’t say a word. Bayton was dressed in a dark gray suit and he put his hand on her shoulder on the walk over. He hoped that it  brought some comfort to her. 

They entered the coffee shop. There were only a couple of people sitting at tables drinking coffee and munching on muffins. One was looking down at her phone and almost spilled her coffee. Bayton and Summer found a table in the corner and Bayton ordered black coffee and blueberry scones for each of them. Summer lifted her veil for the first time revealing her red eyes. She sipped from her paper coffee cup and nibbled a small bite of the scone. 

“I’m sorry. I don’t have much of an appetite.” She explained. 

“No worries. I don’t really either.” Bayton said. 

“Excuse me for being so blunt but you really don’t look like the type of person who would have a lot of friends. You look like the type that isn’t phased by much and don’t like a lot of people around you. I would have never guessed that you knew my sister. It seems that you two are the complete opposite.” Summer said as she looked at Bayton in his eyes.

“You know that you would be right. I went through life not really living just doing the same things on the same days and the same way. I didn’t have many friends and didn't talk to a lot of people. I am ashamed to admit it but a few days before your sister died I didn’t even speak to her. I saw her at the mailboxes and I deliberately went the other way to avoid speaking to her. I feel terrible about that now. But, at the time I really didn’t want to be bothered honestly. Then a few days later she passed. You know that death never phased me before. I figured that you live and you die so what? That’s the circle of life. But, something about your sister sort of changed that for me. She was so full of life. She loved people. She would talk to me when I thought I didn’t want to be bothered and the few conversations that we had if I am honest with myself made me feel a little happier. Honestly, I wish that I had gotten to know her better.”

“Her death really shook you up huh?” Summer asked.

“Yes, it did. Her death opened my eyes to many things that I didn’t see before, or didn’t want to see. Most things I could care less about. But, when she passed something inside of me woke up.” Bayton explained. 

“I know what you mean. She was like that. I loved that about her. I am really going to miss her. But, I feel like I made a new friend today.” Summer said, trying to sip some coffee.

“Yes, I feel the same way.” Bayton said.

Bayton ended up keeping Anna-Belle’s cats. He felt that she would have wanted it that way. He adored Mr. Exotic, Sunny, and Hutch. Anna-Belle’s death shook him to his core but it also taught him how to really live his life with enjoyment and purpose. 

July 22, 2022 05:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.