35 comments

Happy

The music playing in my ears, the beat of my heart and the sound my fast breaths, as I danced my heart out that night. I ended my performance with a split-leap, and curtsey. In silence I waited for the judges to dismiss me. When they did I walked down the stage towards the dressing room to take of my costume of gold glitter, mixed with blue and a matching flowy skirt.

β€œMelody!” I turned around at my name, seeing Grace Dean, my best friend, running towards me, shouting my name, her VIP pass bobbing up and down as she ran. β€œMelody, that was amazing! The judges are sure to give you a good score!” she exclaimed, out of breath from running. This performance was big. Real big. If I came in fourth place or higher, I would be going to the second round, of the modern dancing annual competition. Grace was my costume designer for the competition. She’s amazing with that type of thing.

β€œYeah, I hope it looked as good as it felt.” I answered.

β€œIt definitely did! Oh my gosh, that was just breath-taking! And I told you the blue and gold glitter on the white fabric would look amazing!”

I sighed; I was actually incredibly stressed. I have been dancing since the age of five, and not once did I have a competition like this. If I came all the way to the finals in Paris, I would reach my lifelong dream! I have been working on it since I was five, all I wanted was to meet my mother. My parents were divorced since I was three, and my mother lived in, well, Australia, and if I won, I would get the prize of one thousand dollar, and be able to fly to Australia to dance for my mom. She never knew I started dancing. She never knew I had found something that made me happy, my thing.

β€œUh, Melody? You okay?” Grace waved her hand in front of my face.

I snapped back to reality. β€œYeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.”

β€œWell, let’s keep thinking while we get snacks!” she said exitedly, pulling me towards the snacks table. We got us something to eat after I changed while the other contestants danced. Afterwards, the intercom went on and called all the contestants to the stage for the results. Grace looked at me nervously.

β€œSo, this is it then.” She said anxiously.

β€œYeah”

Silence.

β€œWell, good luck.” she said, taking my hands and squeezing them.

β€œThanks. Got to go now.” I answered.

I turned and ran to the stage. She was right. This is it.

β€œAll contestants, it was a tough decision, but we have decided. As you know, only the top four will make it through.” One of the judges said. β€œ So in fourth place,”

I sucked in my breath.

β€œis…. Jessica Hale!

I exhaled. That was fourth place, but did I dance good enough to make through?

β€œin third place…..Melody Garner!

I barely heard the second and first places, I couldn’t believe it. After we were dismissed I ran towards Grace and almost knocked her over in a hug, tears of happiness in my eyes.

β€œI’m going to the next round!!!” I yelled, and Grace just stared at me for a second then burst.

β€œOMG, REALLY!!!!????” She cried, staring at me.

β€œYeah! Its true! I’m one step closer to meeting my mom! Only three more rounds left!”

Only Grace knew about my mother and father, other than themselves and me of course.

β€œWe need to celebrate. Let’s have a sleepover at mine and order a pizza!” Grace said happily.

β€œSure, I just need to tell my dad.” Even though I’m fourteen, my dad still likes to keep track of where I am. Seconds after I texted him that I had made it and that I was sleeping at Grace’s , he answered that he was so happy for me, and that its fine for me to sleep over.

That night we prepared for the next competition, fitting costumes and practicing my dance. The next competition was the day after tomorrow and we really had to get ready.Β The next day when we finished practicing, Grace asked me something.

β€œAre you sure about this?”

β€œWhat do you mean?” I asked, confused.

β€œWell, you know, going to Paris and all, its big. And who will design you’re costumes and help you with your choreography?” She said awkwardly.

I stared at her. Then I burst into laughter. β€œyou know only the finals are in Paris! And of course, you’re coming with me!”

She stared. β€œI-I I am?” she stuttered.

β€œOf course! You’re my best friend! I’d never leave you behind!” I exclaimed. β€œCome on it's getting late, let’s get to bed.”

She stared. β€œRight, let’s get to bed.”

Early the next morning we set of for the theatre. My costume this time was just like the first one just with purple instead of blue glitter. I was basically having a mental breakdown on the passenger seat of the car, biting my nails.

β€œDon’t do that! It’s making me stress!” she said.

β€œSorry! But I’m already stressed.” I answered, lowering my hand from my mouth. We rode in silence to the theatre. By the time I was basically falling apart. But when I started dancing, I wasn’t scared anymore. I was last to perform, dancing on the beat of β€œWhat About Us” from P!nk. Starting my dance on the floor of the stage, lying on my side, then ending it falling to the ground. It was a contemporary/modern dance, and it felt amazing.Β Afterwards we got snacks and waited for results. The top three were going through to the next round.

β€œCan all contestants please head to the stage for results.” The intercom blared.

I look at Grace and she looks at me. I smiled. I had made it to the semi-finals. Enough to make mum proud, but not enough to tell her that I had found what I was looking for.

The judge called out again. β€œResults in the theatre room five.”

β€œOK, got to go now, don’t want to miss it!” I said excitedly to Grace. The competition was much bigger now.

At room five, I stood on the stage, waiting in suspense for the results.

β€œYou were all splendid in today's competition, though only three can make it to the finals,” said the Judge, β€œand those three are… Melody Garner, Emma Stedd and Kylie John!”

Everything seemed to go slow Mo. This time I didn’t wait for Grace, I burst into a fit of squeals and tears of happiness. Grace, who had been listening through the door, came running on to the stage, also squealing and crying as we hugged each-other, we were going to Paris!!! I video called my dad and when he saw my face he knew I made it. He rushed to the theatre and we three hugged each other for ten minutes. After Grace went home, my dad mentioned something really important. β€œI know that you want to do if you win the money. Go to Australia to meet your mother, right?”

I looked down. β€œYeah, I mean, she’s my mom, and I haven’t seen her since I was three, so yeah.”

I looked at my dad nervously, waiting for his reply.

β€œAll I want is for you to be happy, so, yes, you can go. If you win. Remember that.”

I stared. I wasn’t expecting him to be so cool about it.

β€œOh, and I won’t be coming with you to Paris or Australia, sorry, but I still have my job.”

β€œOh, well that’s ok, you keep the money coming.” I answered. I smiled at him. β€œI should probably start packing, we leave tomorrow.”

β€œAlright, and good luck.” He said.

β€œThanks” I say. I walked up the stairs to go and pack. I was going to Paris!

November 06, 2020 12:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Nice story! Liked it a lot! You have a little bit to work on, but it's all right. You're 11? No way!

Reply

Thank you so much!!! You're right, I could use a lot of practice. But i think of writing as a hobby. I dont think im going to take it very far. Also Thanks so much for your feedback. I know. im eleven.

Reply

Yeah... I'm 11 too! Do you want to be friends on Reedsy?

Reply

That would be sooo fun! Do you have a pinterest? we can talk there too. heres mine https://za.pinterest.com/madeleinevanniekerk0/_saved/

Reply

Sorry, I don't have pinterest. LOL. Love your new Reedsy name!

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Sorry i havent checked your email yet! exams. its on my moms computer so i can only check in the afternoons.

Reply

Oh, that's fine. All I said was testing testing is this you? Also, my initials will be PH (Not saying my full name because other people can see this too)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
10:59 Jun 01, 2021

Sorry, Klara. Ek was bored so to check ek jou notifications.... Hiers n piesang as n token van my sorrytude 🍌

Reply

Show 10 replies
Claudia Morgan
07:48 Mar 06, 2021

Wow! This was really nice and I found myself rooting for Melody all the way through. You are a very talented writer!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.