3 comments

General

Elections are always exciting. Candidates importune, promise the sky, spend money in various ways to get their messages across, stoop to dirty tricks and so on to win the race. Mohan had won the elections last time and was a candidate again. He was a law graduate who had won oratorical contests while in college. He was fair, bespectacled with a receding hairline. He would normally be dressed in shirt and pants. Only winter would cause him to wear a pullover. His was an imposing presence at meetings not only due to his height but due to his power of oratory. His election speeches always had a humorous touch even while referring to the opposition but without rancour. His earnestness couldn’t be ignored by listeners. That was why he usually had record crowds at his election meetings. He was banking on his popularity to win this time again but this time it would be different: Veer had been chosen to stand against him!

The day Veer’s candidature was announced, Mohan was at home planning strategy. His wife came  with a cup of coffee for him.  He said “You’ve made me a coffee addict.”

“I know the benefits.”

He sipped the coffee and said “Tastes good particularly when made by you.”

She said “I’m not the electorate! You don’t have to flatter me. I saw you seated in deep thought and brought the coffee to distract.”

He drank more coffee and said “I’ve to counteract when Veer is standing against me. I’ve often told you about Veer.”

She recalled what Mohan had told her: Veer was a good speaker, down to earth without sophistication as he had only been a high school dropout claiming poverty to be the reason. True, his father worked as a labourer in a garment manufacturing company and did not make a lot of money like Mohan’s father. But it was said Veer’s minimal education was due to his being poor at studies. Nevertheless his gift of speech was very popular among have-nots and those who had limited education. He proved he was a good rabble rouser. And the rabble formed more than half of the electorate. He had started as a labour leader and had risen to be chosen by his party to enter the legislature. It was said he was so dedicated to doing good to the public, that he hadn’t married!

She said “Sure. I know Veer’s strengths, but what about your impressive record in the legislature?”

“That alone speaks for me. Veer has a large following and they will canvass for him. I’ve to be very careful right from the start.”

“It is said he is Pinky’s ardent fan. May be he is after her. She looks great whereas this fellow is dark and has that frightening moustache! He looks an ogre with that ear ring in one ear! He will definitely want to prove his stature to Pinky by defeating you. I can see you’ve a fight ahead.”

“True. He has to be defeated in this election or he could become a thorn in my flesh at a later stage.”

“Okay, I know you’re going to be busy the next few weeks. I want to visit Tara. You could join me later on to celebrate after you win the election. Or be in Norway licking the wounds! Unlikely as I don’t think you’ll lose.” Tara was their daughter now working in Norway.

“I must fortify my defences as quickly as I can.”

Veer was also thinking about his candidature in the election. He was up against the mighty Mohan. His thinking was “My party wants me to stand against Mohan.  So be it. I’ll do my best. It will improve my chances with Pinky. Show her what I can do.”

For distraction he called up Pinky. “Pinky, I know you can advice me as I battle Mohan.  And of course that will give me the opportunity to get closer to you. You know how I’m longing for you.”

Pinky was the most popular star in local TV.  Veer did not conceal his liking for her but she didn’t consider him a match.  To put him off, she had said he should give her one kilogram of gold as wedding gift.

She asked “What about the one kilo of gold?”

He hesitated and then said “I don’t have that much now. I only have 4 gold biscuits certified by the Swiss government. Last August there was an attempt to smuggle 11 gold biscuits but it failed. Police seized the 11 but had falsely said they could only recover 7. The missing 4 have somehow come to  me. I assure you that I’ll make up the remainder as soon as I get elected and take office.”

“I trust you.”

He was very happy and said “Where can we be together in private?”

There was a long pause and he prompted her “Pinky, why no answer?”

“Give me time to think.” After thinking long she said “You know the HAVELUCK MALL?”

He said “Of course, a very prestigious place. I was invited and had been present when it opened.  I’ve also shopped there.”

“Behind it runs McDonald Road where I’ve purchased house number 9. Be there at 7 PM sharp tomorrow. And don’t forget to bring me those 4 biscuits.”

The next day, Veer put on a smart new dress, waxed his moustache, covered his head with a helmet, pulled the visor down over his face, and set off on his old motorbike. He had slung across his shoulders a bag wherein he had loaded a thoughtfully purchased box of cakes and a bouquet of roses for Pinky. He didn’t use his car as he didn’t want to be easily recognised. He was in high spirits as he was sure he was going to have a whale of a time with Pinky. At exactly 7 he was outside Pinky’s house.  At this moment a police van came and parked near Veer still seated on his motorbike.

Two burly, armed policemen in uniform and caps, got out of the van and grabbing him by the arm and gagging him said “Come with us. You know what you did.” Veer was puzzled. They pushed him into the van and one of them set it moving. The second man said “Let me check your bag. You could’ve packed listening or recording devices. Or may be arms.” The car parked momentarily. Using the torch he checked the bag and said “Go” when the car moved some distance and parked in a dark place. One of the duo fished documents out of the glove compartment and shining a torch on them said “These are our official credentials. We got a tip off that you’re in possession of 4 gold biscuits said to be missing after a police raid last August. Such possession is a criminal offence. You’re standing for election. This raid by us will affect your chances.”

The second man said “Shall I call the TV reporters?”

 “Not yet. Mr.Veer how did you get the biscuits? Government wants to nail politicians who are corrupt. Do you want us to call the TV people?”

Veer said “Not necessary.”  He pulled out one biscuit from his bag and said “Take this and release me.”

The man laughed and said in a hard voice “All 4 or we’ll take you to the station and call TV.”

Veer had to part with the 4 biscuits. The cop driving the van said “We’ll drop you at Pinky’s place. There you must just mount your motorbike and go home. Eat the cakes. We will be monitoring your actions very carefully. And remember Pinky is also under surveillance for—“

The other man cautioned “Don’t give away information more than necessary! Also Remember Mr.Veer is a man who could wield power over us after elections.”

“I understand. Mr.Veer we’ll tell our commissioner that the tip off this time was not reliable. Understood?” Veer nodded and said to himself “I’m glad I haven’t been exposed. Imagine what would’ve happened if a TV team had come around!” After reaching home, Veer spoke to Pinky and apologised for not having kept up his date with her. He explained the circumstances under which he was booked and said “It looks like we’re now in a police state. They said even you are under surveillance. The cops are overactive. I’ll reform the system once I’m elected.” He sighed and added “We shall get together another day.”

What he didn’t know was that as per Aaron’s advice, they had got the police van used for producing TV serials, and had used fake uniforms and arms.

The next day Pinky had a visitor- Aaron. He handed over the 4 biscuits to her and said “Veer believed us and we collected these. We had set up the system to record phone conversations here well in advance. And that has paid off. We thank you for your cooperation in getting Veer here.”

Aaron next met Mohan and explained all that had happened. Aaron laughed and added “Veer is a man who knows his way around. I didn’t think he would be so easily convinced by our ploy. But luck has its role! He should be thinking in retrospect and would surely be demoralised.”

Mohan said “You can’t be too sure. What if this play fortifies his determination to fight with a spirit of vengeance?”

Aaron said “There is more to dishearten Veer. Pinky is announcing her engagement with Tagore who acts in soaps with her. That would surely change the situation. Now for---“

Mohan said “Of course the remuneration.” Making Aaron wait, Mohan was back with a bag full of currency notes. Using his note counting machine, Mohan counted out the money and Aaron was satisfied.

Mohan said laughing “This is the safest way to pay. There is nothing to link me with your firm.”

“The confidentiality will be maintained.”

Pinky’s engagement to Tagore shocked Veer who was suddenly de-motivated. He played his part listlessly. Despite his speeches and other means to influence voters, Mohan had a cake walk back to the legislature! Mohan started planning his trip to Norway!

END

July 29, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Nandan Prasad
15:27 Aug 07, 2020

This was a great, funny story! I really liked the way you incorporated the prompt into such a brilliant concept. The beginning is a hook, and the end doesn't disappoint. Well-done, and keep writing! Also, please do check out my stories if it's not too much trouble. Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:31 Jul 29, 2020

This was great! Great name, too! (For the story, and your name!) -Aerin! (P. S. Oh, and would you mind checking out my story ‘Rebel Prince’? Thanks!)

Reply

12:17 Aug 02, 2020

Thank you fopr your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.