Horror on 33 Street

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Fantasy Fiction

It was the 26th of October in 2007 and a week before Halloween. Me (Micheal), James, Ryan, and Joe were excited and were planning what we were going to do this Halloween. My friend James suggested that we should throw toilet paper on the trees like last year. I told him "we do that every year and we should do something different this year." My brother Ryan suggested we should go to the house on 33 Street. The house on 33 street is abandoned, old, worn-out, and sitting on top of a tall Hill in Caliente Nevada. The hill was about 35 ft tall. I told him we shouldn't go because there were lots of rumors going on about the missing kid who was last seen on 33 Street last Halloween. Everyone started calling me a scaredy-cat. I said, "I'm not scared and I'll go there at midnight with you guys." Then My mom told me it was bedtime so my friends have to leave. We all said our goodbyes. The night before Halloween I sneaked out and went to 33 street to see the abandoned house. I was examining the house very carefully and spotted red eyes. I rubbed my eyes and the eyes I saw were gone. Then all of a sudden I heard screaming and ran back home, almost crying about what I had witnessed. My friends come over around 8 pm and we all headed out for trick or treating. James and my other friend said let's go to the house on 33th street. Ryan replied, " not yet, the best for last." We all agreed that we should go to the house on 33 street last. It was 2 AM, I was tired, my friends were tired and I thought we all forgot about the abandoned. We were about to go back home until my friends saw the house and said that we were supposed to go to that house. I said that we all are tired and we should go next Halloween and my friends started to laugh. "What's so funny," I asked. They said we knew you would be scared to go to the house, scaredy-cat. I chuckled, no I'm not scared it's just I'm tired. My friends ignored what I said and hiked up the hill, after we got to the top we took a candy break. "Hey, guys let's make this quick because it's getting late," I said. They ignored me again and knocked on the door and said, "Trick or Treat." An old lady with a black mask opened the door, I tried to see her actual Identity but she covered it pretty well. She was about 4 ft tall and had a black dress that looked like it was made of rubber, something was strange. I told my friends to huddle and they asked what happen. I said "I'm not very sure about it because the old lady seemed a bit off. They laughed and said stop being a chicken. I said no it's not a good idea and it wasn't even safe to enter a random person's house. My friends called me Losers and told me that you weren't as cool as they thought. Luckily they managed to listen to me and headed back to the house. The old lady didn't seem so happy and he headed back home and the lady said to have a good trick or treat and I smiled back and said you too. I was so relieved and told my friends about the things I had witnessed. Then after Halloween strange things were happening. My parents lost their jobs and we had to move to a small apartment but luckily it was near my old home. I was late for class and I did not see a puddle ahead of me and I tried and fell into it. Everyone in my school started to laugh at me. Then I went into class and my teacher seemed pretty happy. He said we have a field trip today and I told my teacher that I did not know that we had a field trip today. He said, "They always say, you snooze you lose." I got mad and was sent to another classroom for the rest of the day. I was sent to my least favorite class since. My teacher said, "You can sit in the back and do your work." I silently mocked her and the games were blocked and so was YouTube. I was wondering why I was having such bad luck. I didn't walk under a ladder, I didn't look into black cats eyes then what else could there be. I shrugged it Maybe it was a bad day so I went back home and I say my mom was making something, I was happy and I was hoping she made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I came inside and asked my mom what she was making and she said "a plain old ham sandwich." I said, "I'll skip and have some milk." She poured the milk for me and I went to do some homework. I touch the bottom of the bag, and it was wet, I looked inside of my bag and my water bottle was opened. I called my friends, I asked how they were and they all said the same thing, yea I'm doing good why? I explained what was happening to me but I didn't know what was happening. I woke up the next morning feeling like today was going to be better. I looked at the time and it was 8:45 Am, and I realized I was late for school and ran out of bed and got ready and told my mom to drop me off. It was quiet but I didn't really mind it. I made it to my class but the lights were off and there was no sound or anything. I banged on the door and there was no answer so I was about to head to the office until I heard gunshots and someone screaming. I freaked out and ran into the bathroom and closed the doors.The mad man banged on the door and begged to open the door. I felt like it was a miracle that I closed the main door or I would be dead. The police arrested the man and everyone was sent home early. I ran to the abandoned house and started to bang on the doors and an old lady with a mask opened the door. I drop to my knees and asked her why I had such bad luck and I started to cry. She said, "This is Caliente Nevada" and then the old lady grabs me by the shirt and pulls me into the house. A few days later a Historical event happens that I will never forget, I woke up on the floor, inside of a jail cell at midnight. I pulled out my phone and see the same mysterious old lady with the same black mask. She opens the Jail cell and I hit her in the face and pull off her mask and films her face. She becomes angry and pulls out a knife, I pray to God to help me and I see a tunnel and run towards it. I ran down the tunnel and when I reach the end of the tunnel were lots of cops and I run Towards the cops. I thanked God and showed the police my footage and the cops went on the search for 3 hours and couldn't find the lady. I don't know where the lady is and I really don't really care where the lady is because everything is back to normal and the house is closed down. I'm 21 now and it feels like it was yesterday.

February 06, 2021 06:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kay (:
00:06 Feb 16, 2021

This story was very very poorly written. It was confusing and wrong punctuation everywhere. I don't see how this was a historical event for all you said about this said 'historical event' is that you said there was a historical event but never specified what. It seemed like you wrote this in one hour, not bothering to space the paragraph's or to make any sort of edits. If you want I can help you write you next story, if you are writing one. Keep writing and stay safe! I wrote a story in the same prompt and would appreciate it if you read it ...

Reply

ItZ_RaYz Lalea
02:43 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks, I like your story and I commented on it too. Check it out

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.