3 comments

Sad

Walking in the woods didn’t exhaust me.continuously hard walking didn’t intercept me,rather full of joy and love running in my body as a blood.pure weather exhilarating me to hike more .knew still had a hard walk for three hours more.My journey caused pain staking ,wanted mad to kiss every part of the jungle.As a youngster,the whole day long running after the birds with a small yoyo,creating more sense of adventure.Jungles creatures were borne up hard on every being appeared friendly with us. The village girls carrying mudpots on their heads,full of water,when they reached in are target ,we continued bursting stones upon their pots , with a cry they ran “ghosts,ghosts”,it was a great fun for us.I appeared orphan,the village yolk loved me , rather considered me as their genuine part of the family. The elders took care of my all belongings.They knew all my mischievous acts despite incumbent severe love with me.Naughty turned up sensitive ,knotted in heart to return the love to the village and to the villagers,pouring a bag full of desires in my subconscious.

Stopped for a while,near a rest place,lighted my self,having bath with fresh stream water.Ordered for a tea and grilled kebab.Sometimes ,I wanted to kiss every body and dance like a cynic.

“Listen boy,aren’t you khanji's son".I asked”yes,he died few years ago.” He told.He had close resembles,especially his parrot nose was like his father .some other wayferers were waiting for the grilled kebab, An a adventurous event knocked me severely,I collected it and when reeled it thorowly,I attended to them."Most of you don’t know me,I also belong to village “Hanse”.They all gazing towards me,I was wearing jeans shirt instead of Shalwar Kameez(native dress),I continued with the story” when I was very young,band of dacoits came to our village,Your grandmother,used to carry a pistol with her.(marked to son of khanji) All the villagers were waking and sitting with arms in their small pickets,made on the roof tops.When the dacoits entered the village,Your father,khanji,announced them to get back,The sardar(head man) rudely claimed to arms down and give us some grains.On this khanji ordered them to get back or they would seek the consequences but sardar didn’t stepped back and to create havoc he fired on the small bulb,with this action of Sardar,gate opened for a discriminated firing.As Sardar trying to entered the house your grandmother opened up a range full of firing,Sardar died on the spot,receiving three bullets in chest,the rest ran away and didn’t come again.

The kebab griller got deeply impressed and his eyes seemed wetted.

“Is that drummer boy,”Gulay”is still around “.I wanna know about him.He was a symbol of our village.In every wedding,Eid and festival nights,he beated the drum very skillfully. 

Enjoyed grilled kebab and fried fish ,saw a “charpoye” decided to take some nap.Indeed dead tired and my body was advising for nap.

When I wokeup ,clock striking two,”it shows I took a long nap".I thought.I took up my bag and ran up.The boy in the grilled shop said something despite I looked to my bag,in real I wanna reach my village before dark.

On the way,I felt like gloomy surrounding.Somewhere spring lying dried,the trees were barren,and their dying leaves dipicted dark brown, fainted on the grass,grass looked grey like smoked spanked …what happened to my parenthood?,it’s not a wellcome sign.The whole scenario is dull and alluring for helping hand.

“Coming events caste their shadows before

“.would rather die if my village and villagers are in bad outlook".Tried to console myself.

Spent my expensive youth hood ,doing jobs.,to uplift My village.

My aim didn’t give me a comfortable tune.Just to earn to reshape my village and settled down like an adventurous hero.My village would be a model ,it would be a new world on an old map.

In this model and modern age,our village lacking all the facilities and modern accessories of life,Technology still didn’t approach here,natives still adopted the conventional ways of comunication”Writing and posting letters,it took long way and time to reach it’s destination.our calendar limping hopping in 1950'"Let me reach ,I would changed the village in a village like “Switzerland”.Indeed ,it was not less than Switzerland, the adversaries were the real foes,it didn’t let permit to enhance with the new world.

Fatuations letting me disturbed ,,wanted to divert my mind towards other line.A battle started up.

Still I had to take a long walk.I think they all are away to holidays,complete absentia ,.,I didn’t even met a single person ,or even a bird on the way.

I heard someone walking on the dry leaves.”shush,shush,shush"sound came,rounded my neck everywhere,despite found nothing.As I move ,worded a dog,he at Once stood up and for the first time in my entire life saw a gloomerous and complaintful face of a dog,I tried to give him some piece of biscuits , he abhorrently refused and looked the other side of the valley.As I stepped forward,he barked”aue aue hoi,"still I didn’t pay heed.Eventually he cought my cuff.”Why is he doing that? patted on his head,despite it ,he carried on stopping me. Why is he doing that?I cued mysterious.

Eyes got stunned and ears got red ,when the scenario jolted me.A narrow sound of drumming,approaching my ears.The whole village tearing , plating deteriorated debris look. Flicked madly towards the debris hills. Drumming still thumping on. Every where Every house ,grouted in the ground.Some children small cute shoes and baby stood burning partly.Darted to see my house, couldn’t find it.

Who is drumming?I looked around.At the corner of the village site,an old man,bald,shabby clothes drumming continuously.He constantly looking straight.In your child hood you must have seen a bear carrying a drum belted around his black hairy girth,that bear was more cute and loving than this drummer.

Went close to him,his hands looked busy beating the drum,he didn’t budge an inch.”Oh,my God,he’s the old village drummer “Gulay”.What is he doing in the deserted village debris ?,still looking straight,towards his house.Gushed towards his house,couldn’t find any body living or dead,one cow lied dead.

What happened here?,I didn’t know,who destroyed this innocent village and today my past also died ..where shall I go now ?Bones of my grandfather burried here,I came with a dream,who devastated us?Sat down on a big rock.

complete gravely silent and the gushly wind making and alarming to show me a cryptic vault. .

.Closed my eyes and tears gushed down over my cheeks.I beated the rock severely and stubborn ,cried loud like a child.,rather knew ,nobody is here to give me a “chocolate”.

Drumming still continued”dum,dum,dum and stopped.

Guley breathed his last.”Guley,you are lucky enough,some body is here to cry for you,with this injurious thought I burst with cry.

In the meantime a passing van stopped near me.”Hurry up,be seated in the van,another “Air Strike”is expected in ten minutes.”

The End.”The last drummer”.

"




August 10, 2021 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Tariq Saeed
11:26 Aug 11, 2021

A very simple ,touchy,story this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
09:25 Aug 11, 2021

Story depicted Devastated village in Afghanistan's territory.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
18:17 Aug 10, 2021

Story of a devastated village near Afghanistan.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.