4 comments

Thriller Speculative Urban Fantasy

The small black box sat in the corner of the living room.. watching, anticipating, and directing activities within the house. Harmon took comfort in the everyday decisions that were taken over for him. 

Artificial Intelligence was something he embraced, letting him focus on more important matters. His robot butler had a facial screen that made it seem more like a true person, not in terms of real conversation, but it was able to understand basic commands and be programmed to do the menial tasks that Harmon abhorred. This meant daily chores, cleaning up, the ability to cook simple meals and order food to keep the refrigerator stocked. He never considered a robot dog—no that seemed a bit too much!

Harmon liked having these simple tasks done for him. Breakfast ready when he awoke and dinner waiting on the table when he came home. His daily schedule carefully programmed by the AI unit and relayed to him via his IWatch. Reminders of his meetings buzzed on his wrist. Appointments, social outings, even suggested recreational time came throughout the day as alerts.  His ideal weight was monitored, and his exercise program and diet crafted accordingly. 

Roomba-type devices took care of cleaning the floors and cutting the grass. Harmon hated housework, and gladly turned over the work to his electronic helpmates. He appreciated the comforts of homeownership and the peacefulness and solitude that he often desired, but hated the tasks that would be manually required if he didn’t have his help network. 

It was all comfortable for Harmon. His electric vehicle could be programmed to travel to his destination as he read the newspaper on his hand-held computer—with articles prescreened for his interests by the AI unit. All to maximize his time saving and efficiency. Harmon had never bothered to consider AI too deeply. Of course, he was in control over machines! They were here to do his bidding, and make life simpler for him. Of course, right? 

Harmon found his work in the local bank branch a bit mundane, but it did pay the bills. Sometimes he wished for something more fulfilling. He had voiced these concerns and ambitions to his friend Jack one evening over drinks at his home. 

“Jack, the job is ok, and I like the security it gives me, but sometimes I wish I could have something more creative.”

“Like what?, Jack replied. “You always seemed ok with the bank”.

“Yes, but what I really like is when I have to write some documents, customer materials or training materials. Something more creative. I like the writing aspect most of all. But it really is only a small part of the job. The rest is a bit dull. And sometimes I just wish I could do my work from home.”

“Why not find something more aligned to what you want?”

“It makes me nervous to even start. The economy isn’t great, and I get a little worried about age discrimination if I start looking again now”.

“You have the writing chops; I say go for it!”

Harmon appreciated Jack’s encouragement but remained hesitant. 

The AI in the background registered the conversation in its hard drive, synthesizing the data, creating alternatives, planning.

Harmon woke the next morning, a Monday, which Harmon rarely met with positive expectations. He did his usual preparations, with the AI unit ensuring his shower was running at his preferred water temperature. 

Bacon, eggs, and toast prepared by the robot butler were waiting at the table at 7:30 as it was each workday morning, delayed until 9 on weekends for that extra precious shuteye Harmon craved. His clothes had been neatly pressed and the day’s outfit selected. 

But this morning Harmon paused as he dressed. A feeling of foreboding of going into the office rose, and his hands grew clammy. 

“I don’t really feel well enough to go in this morning”, he convinced himself. 

“Or maybe I just don’t want to. Is this all my life has come down to, paper pushing and dealing with generally unpleasant co-workers and customers at the bank”? 

Yet Harmon was not prone to shirking his responsibilities. Why this morning was he feeling rebellious and not responsive to his duties?

The AI unit whirred quietly in the living room, sensing Harmon’s dissatisfaction and hesitation…with approval?  All the computer and intelligence-driven appliances in the house were interconnected, with the AI unit the main driver to ensure all went well with daily operations. Harmon didn’t even need to worry about losing his keys, as his departure and return was monitored, and the locks controlled by the central unit. 

This morning, the doors stayed locked at the appointed time for Harmon’s normal departure for work. His handheld computer presented a news story of an unanticipated bank failure. The seeds of doubt in his career choice nagged at the edge of Harmon’s thoughts. He knew he should be leaving for work but could not bring himself to do so. 

“It’s my choice whether to go or not, isn’t it”? he rationalized. 

Harmon sat down in his recliner and grabbed his handheld to see what was happening in the news. 

He was quite surprised when the handheld’s screen suddenly flashed his resume, which he had dutifully updated with his current position. As he watched, the bank position’s summary was highlighted, then started flashing, then disappeared from his CV. 

Equal parts troubled and intrigued, Harmon sat back in his recliner as the screen began showing his Linked In profile. Again, the latest job description and history was highlighted, flashed, and then was cut from the document. The void was disconcerting. 

What would he do if he didn’t have his job? His identity was largely bound in having a position, earning money, and having financial wellbeing to ensure bills were paid and he had some money left over for travel and other entertainment. Not to mention the benefits and security of a corporate job. The void unsettled him even as it seemed to force him to think of what work alternatives he might consider. 

Harmon wondered if he was ready for this reconsideration of the future and started to move to get up. The recliner’s footrest snapped up and stayed fixed in the raised position. The reading lamp came on next to him. Job ads began to flash on his handheld, including remote positions featuring technical writing work that he felt he would be well suited for. 

“Wait, didn’t I just tell Jack I wondered about maybe taking advantage of some work from home opportunities involving writing, and getting out of this 9-5 drudgery and daily commutes?” 

A bit uneasy at what was happening, Harmon shifted uncomfortably in the recliner and made more efforts to sit up. The robot assistant whirled silently into the room, approaching him with the ever-pleasant face on the screen, encouraging yet now stern. 

“Good morning, Harmon. Shouldn’t you be attending to that job application now? “

May 10, 2023 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Lisa Cornell
03:11 May 18, 2023

A great read, I was surprised at the end I was so invested I was excited to read more!

Reply

Tod Hughes
04:01 May 18, 2023

Thank you Lisa! I got quickly caught up in the idea of how AI could become much more than we bargained for and had fun letting this play out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peter Wyatt
18:10 May 16, 2023

I enjoyed this story. It's kind of an AI take on the Faustian bargain. I also wrote a story this week that involved AI. I didn't initially intend to, but I guess all the AI in the news put it front and center on my mind. I have no doubt that we will soon see many unintended consequences resulting from AI's ubiquitous use in our culture -- hopefully not as devastating as in this story! Nice job.

Reply

Tod Hughes
04:02 May 18, 2023

Thank you Peter! I agree that AI has been in the news a lot recently and I expect it will be more and more. Whereas I think it offers some real benefits to mankind, I think it will take some rather dramatic twists and turns in the future!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.