0 comments

Fiction Friendship Romance

“Bailey?”

“Hey, Bailey?”

“Bailey, wake up!”

I jolt awake at the sudden intrusion of my peaceful sleep. The morning sun hurts my eyes when I try to open them. Groaning at the effort, I turn onto my other side and cocoon myself in the warm blankets. I’m about halfway back to sleep when that annoying voice pesters me again.

“I swear to God, Bailey. If you do not get your ass up in the next few seconds, I’m going to tickle you.”

At the imminent threat, I hastily push up from my spot on the bed and stare at my so-called best friend.

“You wouldn’t dare, Bryan.”

Bryan, laughing at my dishevelled self, cocks his head and smiles that devilish smile of his.

“Try me, Bay. My fingers are itching to touch your body.”

Ignoring the flutters in my stomach and the flip of my heart, I roll my eyes at his smug look. I say goodbye to my precious sleep as I climb off the bed and head for my bathroom.

“Whatever, Bryan.” I grumpily close the door on echoes of his laughter.

Starting the shower, I strip to the thoughts of the sexy man just outside. Bryan and I have been best friends since childhood. Actually, it’s been me, Bryan, and his slightly older brother, Ben. The brothers are not twins, but were born less than a year apart. Honestly, they might as well be twins. They act like that more often than not.

Anyway, since the day they moved next door, we had become ‘Triple B’, as everyone likes to call us: Bailey, Ben and Bryan.

Moving into high school and things changed. Our bodies were slowly developing, and we were becoming adults. Boyfriends and girlfriends came and went, but our bond of friendship remained forever the same. Until it didn’t. Well, on my end at least. From one point on, I saw the boys as more than my best friends. Sometimes I would crush on Bry, other times I would crush on Ben.

Eventually, I think I just fell in love with both of them. I truly don’t know what’s wrong with me. Just as I climb out of the now cold shower, an insistent knock bangs on the door.

“Bay, hurry up already!”

I swing the door open just as Bry’s hand was coming down for another round of knocking.

“What are you even doing here, Bry?”

“Um..” He starts, but trails off. His eyes scour my towel-clad body and his baby blues darken to a storm. Smirking and moving past a now flustered Bryan, I go to my closet and search for something to wear.

“Seriously Bry, I only have two days off from work, so there better be a good reason that you woke me up early.”

“Actually, yes, I have an excellent reason.”

I smile at his attempt at gathering himself. I’m not that naïve to think I don’t affect them at all. They might not share the same feeling as me, but they are still men around females. I’ll take whatever I can get, but if I have to help them along a little… then so be it.

“I have a surprise for you. So wear something pretty.”

“A surprise?” I question him as he sits on my bed.

“A surprise for what?”

“A surprise for you. Just take my words on it, Bay. Okay?”

I look at him sceptically. Bryan is fidgeting with anything he can get his hands on, which is normally a sign of his nerves. What he has to be nervous about, I don’t know. But I guess I’m going to find out.

I grab one of my new favourite dresses and head back into the bathroom. If Bryan has a surprise for me, then I might as well look my damn best for it.

***

An hour after my mention of a surprise, Bailey walks out looking as beautiful as ever. She takes my breath away every time I see her. Hiding my feelings from Bay has been torture. Sometimes I thought I should just tell her, but the fear of losing y best friend trumps everything else. Though there are times I swear she teases me and wants the same thing as I do.

Like that bit with the towel earlier. Thinking back, she sure seemed smug with that knowing look in her eyes. Does she know my shorts instantly tented at the mere sight of her nearly naked body?

That’s one thought running through my mind as I lead Bailey out of her apartment and to my car.

I make sure she is safely tucked in before making my way to the driver’s side. Her gorgeous green eyes meet mine and for a moment in time, I forget the world. She is my world.

“Bry? Seriously, not even a hint of what’s happening?” 

I’m snapped back to reality and the plans I have for today. Nerves encase me, and I fidget again. It’s like it controls me and I can’t seem to stop it. Dammit, Bryan! Get your shit together!

“Relax Bay, it’s nothing bad. I just thought you deserved something special.” 

Hoping my fake casualness puts her at ease, I start the car and pull into the oncoming traffic. I can sense her curiosity, but luckily, she says nothing more.

After about 45 minutes of driving, I pull into the parking lot of the huge ice rink that our neighbouring town boasts. Bailey’s face brightens the already sunny day and my heart. She loves skating, she’s a competitive skater without actually competing. 

We hurriedly made our way in, with her laughter and giddiness trailing behind us. In a few minutes, we’ve got our skates on and Bay takes the ice, uncaring of the world and free, even in a dress. Then there’s me, following in her wake like the lost little puppy that I am with this beautiful woman.

We spend hours on the ice, laughing and having the best time. And the fact I got to hold her in my arms might’ve been the best idea I’ve had. The afternoon warmth hits us as we make our way back to the car.

“That was the best surprise. Thank you, Bry!” Bailey exclaims as she embraces me. I swear she pulls her body tighter into mine, but I’m not complaining.

“Actually, that was only part of it. There’s one more thing.”

This drive is only about a half-hour long, but to me, it feels like a lifetime. Nerves overtake me again and doubt clouds my mind for what I’m about to do. I pull up to the top of the lookout point that is very special to our friend group. The view is stunning. One can see everything from up here. We climb out and make our way to the edge. The sun glints off the tops of the buildings and surrounds us in a glow. It actually looks like Bailey is glowing when she turns to me.

“This is beautiful as always, Bry. But why did you bring me here?”

Swallowing the lump in my throat and reaching for her hands, I bring my blue eyes to her green ones.

“There’s something I need to tell you.”

***

The sound of a car pulling up to the lookout point drags my attention away from the interesting view. I recognise the make of my brother’s car, and I sink back further into the shadows, as not to be seen. The cigarette burns blindly in my hand, going forgotten by the arrival of others. I put it out now, not wanting to draw attention to myself.

I’m not supposed to be here.

Braun told me his plans for today, unaware of anyone but him and Bailey.

“This is what brothers are for,” he said. I guess he’s right. Brothers support each other, encourage the other and help get the girl of their dreams. Brothers should not be jealous like this. They shouldn’t be mad at this. And they definitely should not be in love with the girl.

Bailey and Bryan step out of the car and head toward my hiding spot. I can see the nerves running through his body and Bailey, sexy as ever, seems very confused and concerned.

“Bry, you’re kinda scaring me a bit. What do you want to tell me?” Bailey questions as they stop within a hearing distance of me.

Completely unaware of my presence.

I watch as he reaches for her hands and pulls her closer to him. It fills my body with jealousy, and I work hard to tamper it down.

“Bailey, I’m in love with you-” I don’t get to hear what he says next. There’s a ringing in my ears, an unbelievably loud and painful noise between my head. What is this?

My eyes are seeing but my ears aren’t hearing. The ringing suddenly stops, clearing away any echoes. And apparently, just in time, too.

“I’m in love with you too, Bry.”

Never mind the ringing. The pain that shoots through me is unbearable. I’m torturing myself as I force my eyes to watch the scene in front of me. I watch as my two best friends, my brother and my girl, kiss like they are the only two sources of oxygen left in the world. While they are filling theirs with some, mine is slowly being deprived of it.

I don’t know how long we stay up here. It feels like an eternity to me. Eventually, the sun is setting and the two lovebirds make their way back to the car. Soon, the rumbling echoes of the engine fill the night as they drive off. Literally into the sunset.

I stay here for a while yet, though I move out of hiding and into the open. It’s dark out now and the stars sparkle blindly in the opulence. An empty pack of cigarettes sits beside me, the one a day rule turned into an uncontrollable need.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Not much else I can do up here, alone.

It’s not like I’m in love with Bailey. At least I don’t think so. But it certainly might be close to it. Bryan just grew up a little quicker than I did. He knew what he wanted and went for it. I give him props for that. I relent to the cards it has dealt me. Bryan gets Bailey and I get this empty pack of smokes.

You win in this life, Bryan.

Though you might have her now and probably forever; but on one sultry summer night, I had her first.

August 05, 2021 14:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.