0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Romance Drama

He likes me! He really likes me!

And gosh do I like him.

With his strong face and sly smile. Hazel eyes and olive skin. He’s not the tallest guy I've met but he is pretty strong. He's Italian in Italian it just makes sense.

We met at a 70’s dance at school. My friend introduced us. From the second we meant we had a connection. I hope I’ll see him today. We’ve been talking all weekend, non-stop. I really got to know him and It just makes me like him more!

-----

*Ding*

Tyson: Hey I’m at Starbucks, do you want something? ;)

(Omg no way)

Astella: Omg for real? 

Tyson: Yes for real! Lol

Astella: Yes! Thank you!!!

Tyson: Haha, no problem ;)

  What do you want?

Astella: Surprise me…;)

Tyson: Okay ;) ;)

-----

Astella: He’s getting me coffee!!!

Partner In Crime: Omg no way! I’ll be at school in 5m.

Astella: Ok!

-----

“Carrie!” I call to my bestie (AKA partner in crime) as I’m walking to the front of the school.

“Ahhh Astella is he here?”

“I don’t know-”

*Ding*

Tyson: Where are you at? I’m in front of the school.

“Ahhhhh Carrie look!!!”

“Oh my gosh, I see him!!!”

Oh My God there he is looking sexy as hell! With my coffee…

“Come on! Can’t stop now! Haha!” Carrie says pulling me towards him.

“Hey Astella,” Tyson says, handing me the coffee.

“Hey! Thank you so much!” I say taking the coffee from him. I go to give him a quick hug but he pulls me in for a long deep hug. (Ahhhhhhhh!!!) I don’t pull away till he finally does. Oh Lord am I blushing? Shit, I bet I am. Crap! Stop! He smiles trying not to laugh. The bell rings.

“Augh…” I say gasping and cover my mouth. He laughs now.

“It’s ok I'll meet you at nutrition. I have something I need to tell you,” he says, hugging me again.

“Umm, ok,” I say.

“Meet in the quad?”

“Yeah.”

“Cool, see you soon,” He says walking away.

-----

Oh God, how could nutrition come so soon? What does he want to talk about? Maybe he wants to ask me out?! No, too soon. But… he did buy me coffee, hug me twice, and he’s always flirting with me. Oh Lord, he gives the best hugs EVER! Stop Astella, don’t get your hopes up. Maybe he is going to say he just wants to be friends. But that doesn't make any sense after all he’s done. Augh, here we go.

“Hey Tyson,” I say walking up to where he’s sitting on his phone.

“Astella,” he says suddenly, sad and anxious. 

“Are you ok?” I ask concerned.

“Umm Yeah. Well no, Ahh just give me a moment to gather my thoughts.”

“Yeah, of course. Take your time,” I tell him. He breathes out deeply and rubs his temples as he stands up.

“Ok, so I don’t really know where to start...But,” he pauses, clearly overwhelmed.

“It’s ok, take your time,” I say, squeezing his arm.

“No it’s ok, I’ll just say it. So I moved here from Montana, right?”

“Ugh, yeah.”

“Stuff...happened there. Like, Ahh-”

“Tyson It’s ok really, you don’t need to tell me,” I say, cutting him off.

“No, you need to know.”

“Oh, ok.”

“Ok, so I had this girlfriend,” he starts. Oh good Lord above here we go. “We dated for a while but then she cheated on me with my best friend. After a while I forgave her and she promised that it would never happen again. Well, she did it again with him. So I broke up with her for good, had a fight with my ex-best friend. hen I moved here.”

“Wow,” I say stunned. “But, did you win?”

“What?”

“Did you win the fight with your friend?” I ask, smiling.

“Haha! Yes, I won the fight,” he says laughing hysterically. “Omg thank you I needed that.”

“Haha! Anytime. But gosh Tyson, I’m so sorry. That’s horrible. Why would she do such a thing?” 

“I don’t know you’d have to ask her. But all I’m saying is that I like you, I really do but we need to take it slow. Like start as friends,” he says.

“Yeah, of course. That’s what I want,” I lie.

“Oh thank God, that was the best answer ever,” he says, exhaling a long breath he seemed to have been holding in. (Yeah probably because it was fake)

“Yeah, whatever you need,” I say just before the bell rings.

We stand awkwardly for a minute.

“Umm…” I stutter and laugh a bit. “I don’t know if you still want to hug still?”

“Well, if we’re friends now…”

“Friends hug, right?” I ask.

“Yeah, friends hug,” he says, hugging me. Ahh, thank God I live for his hugs.

-----

We continue texting and meeting each other. We walk with my friends to Starbucks and still hug every time we see each other. I think it’s been about two weeks since we became “friends”.

“Have you seen him yet Edward?” I ask. Edward Is my best guy friend since we were little.

“Yes, he’s with Code by the locker rooms.”

“Thanks! I’m going to go see him,” I say walking towards the locker rooms.

“Augh, just get a room already!” he calls.

“We’re just friends Edward.”

“Oh yeah, for sure.”

-----

 Ugh, there he is with Coddy and two other girls? I never liked Coddy much. He’s holding one of the girl's hands; the other must just be her friend. 

“Hey!” I say bumping into Tyson.

“Oh...hey Astella,” he says weirdly.

“Who’s that?” I hear one of the girls ask.

“That’s Astella. I went to middle school with her,” Coddy says.

“Well how does she know Tyson?” she asks.

“I have no idea.”

“Tyson are you going to- '' I start but the girl holding Coddy’s hand cuts me off and yells “Tyson! Stop walking with her and come hold your girlfriend’s hand!”

What the HELL??? 

I look at Tyson looking for an explanation but he doesn't even look at me. He just goes and holds the other girl's hand. 

AHHHH!!! I run away. Well, I try not to run but I know I do. What just happened. He tells me that he’s hurt and needs time? He just wants to be friends? Doesn't want a relationship??? Doesn't look like it to me! AHHHH!!! I’m so mad right now I could just walk up to him a snap him in half. (I’m in karate) It would be easy. Like breaking a toothpick. OMG, I hate him!!!!! I’m going to cry! No, no I refuse to cry. Screw him, I don't need him! Tyson, you chose the wrong girl. You think you’ve played me? Well, you've only just met the player and you're only a pon.

----

“Can you believe that Edward?” I ask after telling Edward what happened.

“Yeah actually, we made a bet to see who can date the most girls in 6 months. He doesn't want to do this to you because he actually likes you. But I don’t think he’s doing it to her either. I think he genuinely likes her.”

“What!!!!! Edward, you better be joking!”

“No, I’m not, Oh there's the bell see you later!” He says running away.

“Edward, get back here!”

“Haha, no way!”

----

“Omg, I can believe that he would do that!” Carrie says. “This was only yesterday? That fool! You mess with my bestie, you mess with me!”

“Carrie as much as I appreciate that and also what to make him suffer. Pretending I don’t care will hurt him even more. A very smart person once told me that. Don’t you think it applies?” I ask.

“Haha, oh yes! We should-Oh, oh my…”

“What? What Carrie, what is it?”

“Don’t look behind you.”

“Now why would you say that? You know I’m just going to look-”

OMG. 

OMG!!!!!

There he is with her! Sucking her face off!!! Right in front of me! AHHH!!!

“Oh my God!” I scream.

-----

So. It’s been two weeks since Tyson and his hoe got together. I feel like I’m drowning every time is see them together. Which is every day. Somehow they always seem to find me no matter where I go. I keep telling myself that I most definitely DON’T like him anymore. Which works...most of the time. Ahhh!!! I can’t help it I know it sounds stupid and I didn’t know him that long but when I saw him I saw a future. Corny I know but it was true. Now when I look at him I somehow still see that but it’s all mixed with hate, disgust, and pain. So much pain.

All I know is I don’t want to go to school today.

“Astella!” I hear someone call me. Oh, it’s my friend Ariel.

“Hey,” I say sadly.

“Don’t sound so sad. I have something to tell you that will make you quite happy.”

“Oh, please do tell,” I say sarcastically.

“No, this is good,” she says grinning deviously. “So my friend is really good friends with Tyson’s girlfriend Pam-”

“Oh, God stop! I don’t wanna hear it!” I say cutting her off.

“Oh, no you do. You really do.”

“Ok, okay.”

“So apparently a month before Tyson and Pam started dating she went back with her ex for a one-night stand sort of thing. And long story short she thinks she is pregnant! And she told Tyson and they broke up!”

“OMG! No way!?!” I scream.

“Way!”

“Haha! Wow, Tyson you sure know how to pick them! Haha!!! How does it feel? You could have been with me! Loser!”

“Haha, tell him, sister!” Ariel says.

-----

So sensing the great news about Tyson and his pathetic love life he’s been looking a bit depressed and I couldn’t be happier! I know it’s mean but it’s not like he was all that nice to me. However, I do somehow feel bad for Pam. Even Though she “did the deed and got dealt the hand” I still feel bad. Mostly for the baby I guess. But it is so much easier to not see them together. I can almost stand school again. Just kidding, I’ll never be able to stand school.

“Astella!” Woohoo, it’s Ariel. “Hey, girl! I have an update for you!” She says.

"Involving Tyson, I assume?”

“Of course! So it turns out Pam isn’t pregnant.”

“Oh, well that’s good. Wait, did they get back together?!?” I ask.

“No! She told him and they still didn’t get back together!”

“Haha!! That’s awesome!”

“I know haha!”

-----

How does it feel, player? 

To get played and never recover? 

Haha!

What can I say? 

Karma's a Bitch.

And she’s my best friend.

October 09, 2021 07:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.