0 comments

Drama Contemporary Romance

Dottie Eldridge walked into CJ's Roasters as usual on her morning detail. Dispatch at the Springs Creek Police Department never really was exciting. She examined her flyer for the Springs Creek Annual Cookie Exchange and Social. Every December the townspeople gathered for fun activities and special treats homemade from the townsfolk themselves. Dottie, through no fault of her own, was chairwoman of the event this year. Ethyl Cogsburn caught some sort of flu and wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility of the social. Walking in the door, She noticed Jenna Thompson. Jenna was the sweetheart who served Dottie's tea every morning.

"Mornin' Ms. Dottie. Your usual?" Jenna asked.

"You know me so well." the older lady said.

"I have to know my customers. Carol Jean would have my behind."

"How is she?"

"She's good. The boys have her running around like a fool for their class activities and Mark works a lot more now in the winter. Landscaping seems to boom with snow coming again."

"Speaking of snow, Lizzie's having a baby."

"Aw, that's adorable! How's Savannah taking to the news?"

"That little sprite would be an awesome older sister. I heard Cheyenne's having a baby."

"Yep. Akamu watches over her like a hawk. I laugh when he comes in now. He's so jittery and I know it's not the Matcha tea."

"I'm takin bets on who's more anxious, Jesse or Akamu."

"I dunno. I'm kinda sad though."

Dottie looked concerned.

"Why, Sugar?"

"Since I left.."

Jenna didn't say anything else. Dottie knew then and there she needed to be patient.

"You're in good hands here, Sugar. Remember that. If you need anything, and I mean anything, don't hesitate. I'm sure between Akamu and Jesse, they'll find him."

"Lyle is an awful man. I don't know if either of those two can take him."

"Jenna, you're family to all of us. If he hurts you, we'll get him."

"Thank you, Ms. Dottie."

Jenna's hand shook as she handed Dottie her tea. Dottie took a hold of it.

"You're safe here. We won't let anything happen."

"I know. It just scares me to know that he's out there."

Dottie put down her tea. She went to give Jenna a hug.

"You're safe. Come to the social. We're all gonna be there celebrating Christmas and all the joy."

"I'll try, Ms. Dottie."

"Good."

Dottie slid Jenna her tip and left. When Dottie arrived to the station, she saw Jesse at his desk.

"Jesse, we have a potential problem."

"Sweet Jesus, Dots.. If this is about the car,"

"Jenna Thompson's afraid of her ex."

Jesse looked at Dottie.

"How do you know?"

Dottie explained the situation at the coffee shop. Jesse called Akamu.

"This is Leota," Akamu said.

Jesse explained everything Dottie told him. Akamu listened.

"Did Dottie get a last name?"

"No."

"I'll get in touch with Chey. She's gonna know."

"Thanks."

"Get working on finding security for the social or Dottie's gonna have your ass."

"I will."

Akamu ended the call and proceeded to call Cheyenne.

"CJ's Roasters, this is Cheyenne."

"Chey, it's Kam. I need some help."

Cheyenne knew when Akamu went by the name "Kam" nothing good was happening.

"Do you know Jenna's last name?"

"Isn't it obvious? It's Thompson. She married that no good, rotten, wife beater."

"Calm down, Chey. None of that helps the baby or you. Let me and Jesse handle the guy."

"Alright."

"I love you, Tausala."

"I love you too."

Akamu ended the call and went to work looking up Lyle Thompson. At the police station, Jesse approached Officer Steven Pritchard. Steven sat at his desk.

"Pritchard, I have a special assignment for you."

"What's goin on, Boss?"

"The cookie exchange. I'm having a few officers work the doors in case trouble occurs."

"Alright."

"Also, I have a personal favor to ask of you."

"What's up, Boss?"

'There's a woman attending."

Steven glares at Jesse.

"Are you setting me up on a date?"

"I'm doing this for Cheyenne and Lizzie. They love Jenna."

"Jenna, Jenna Thompson?" Steven asks.

"Yeah."

"Well, then, I don't mind so much."

Jesse smiled.

"Excellent. I'll make sure she saves you something."

"Oh my God! That angel bakes?"

"I believe so, Pritchard."

"She's won my heart."

"Good. Be at the church by ten in the morning."

"Yes, sir."

Jesse proceeded to his own desk and worked.

Lizzie entered bringing Jesse his lunch and Savannah.

"Dah!"

"Hello, Cupcake!"

Jesse approached the child and Lizzie.

"How's my mama to be?" Jesse asked, kissing Lizzie.

"I'm okay. Savannah's being really good. I told her we're on our way to see Daddy."

"Dah!"

Jesse smiled at both of them. Lizzie peeked at the papers on his desk.

"Whatcha doin?"

"Security details for the cookie social."

"Why do we need security?"

Jesse vaguely explained about the situation.

"I see."

"Don't worry. We have Pritchard, Adams and Jessop on it."

"The three most trained guys, this sounds serious."

"It is. I promised I wouldn't go into detail."

"Okie dokie. I gotta get this little girl to sleep on time or there's no hope in me getting my mom and dad over to help me with Christmas decorations."

"I'll be home later." Jesse said.

"Alright. I love you! Tell Daddy you'll see him later, Vannie!"

"Bye Dah!"

"Bye, Girls!"

Pritchard came to Jesse's desk.

"I want that kinda thing."

"It takes a lot of work. I'm sure Jenna's worth it."

"She is."

Lizzie got in the truck after fastening Savannah into her seat and proceeded to the coffee shop. There, Cheyenne and Jenna met her and Savannah.

"Shy!" Savannah said.

"Hello, Angel cake."

Savannah raspberried.

"Hey, now!" Lizzie said.

"You're having a girl, Chey. Babies know."

"Akamu is gonna go crazy."

Lizzie chuckled.

"So, what are you ladies making for the cookie exchange?"

Cheyenne laughed.

"Akamu has me making Samoan cookies and cakes. Lord if I know what I'm doing but I ask Him to bless my kitchen before I start."

Lizzie laughed.

"What about you, Jenna?"

Jenna sighed.

"I can't cook, bake or anything without committing Arson. Lyle would never eat anything I made."

Cheyenne, Lizzie and Paula smiled.

"We're gonna get you a basic cookie recipe and help you. Your cookies are gonna be a hit." Cheyenne said.

"If I sell A cookie, I'll be happy."

"You have us, Jens. We won't let you down... Ever."

A few hours later, Lizzie and Jenna finished bagging the last of the cookies.

"There, we're done."

"When is this social thing?" Jenna asked.

"Day after tomorrow, ten sharp."

"Alright, Lizzie."

"Cookie!" Savannah said.

Jenna handed Savannah a small sugar cookie. The child smiled wide.

"Ummy!"

"You got my daughter's seal of approval. That's saying something."

Cheyenne laughed.

"Savannah's picky about her cookies. You have a fan, Jens."

Jenna beamed with pride.

"My mom and dad will be by to keep eyes on Savannah so I can get my cookies made. I'll see you ladies there."

"You sure will!" Jenna said.

The day of the social, ladies brought bags full of treats and thermoses of coffee to the outspread tables. There, familiar faces began the setup process. Jenna looked apprehensive being there. Jesse gave the three assigned officers their duties. Pritchard's eyes never left Jenna, who sat with Cheyenne and Carol Jean.

"This is so amazing!" Jenna exclaimed.

"Wait. You're only seeing the regulars. The townsfolk and newcomers interacting are amazing. Akamu's walking around trying samples."

"Jesse's working so my folks have Savannah." Lizzie said.

An older couple with a toddler walk towards the table.

"Ma!" Savannah says.

"Hello, Cutie! Are you being good for your gramma and grampa?"

"Ya!" Savannah says smiling.

"She's an angel. I think it's because she's with us."

"Probably. Mom, Dad, this is Cheyenne and her crew from CJ's Roasters."

"Your coffee is so good!" Lizzie's mom says.

"Thanks, it's not my place. It's Carol's."

The ladies talk. Pritchard takes notice of of a dark haired man lurking around the church hall. He approached Carol's table.

"These are delicious. I'm so glad I came." He said.

Jenna went pale. Cheyenne looked at her.

"Are you okay?"

"Pencil." Jenna said.

Cheyenne knew when Jenna said the word "Pencil", something was wrong. Cheyenne whispered to Jenna.

"Is that him?"

Jenna blinked twice.

"Alright. I'll figure something out okay? Don't panic."

Jenna held Cheyenne's hand under the table. Carol engaged in civil conversation.

"Our very own sauvante in the kitchen, Jenna Thompson made those."

The man choked.

"You're kidding? She couldn't find her way around a kitchen no matter how hard she tried."

"I beg your pardon," Carol said.

"I'm her husband. I should know this female's as useless as tits on a bull. No way she made these."

Carol placed her hand on her holster. Pritchard and Adams came to the table.

"Jenna, it's time we go home."

"No."

Lyle stood straight, looking into Jenna's eyes.

"You are coming, whether you want to or not. You're mine."

"I'm not anymore. I left. I filed divorce. It finalizes when you sign."

"Which I'm never gonna do. You're coming back to the twin cities if I have to drag your ass."

"NO!"

"Are you backtalking me? You know I don't like that."

Lyle grabbed Jenna's arm.

"You're coming."

He pulled a gun from his jacket and placed it in Jenna's ribs.

"Move."

Afraid, she walked with his gun in her ribcage. Steven watched closely.

"You're gonna learn what happens when you talk back, Jennabean."

Steven, Adams and Jesse stalked Lyle.

"Why'd you think I wouldn't find you? I always find you, Jennabean."

Before hitting the door, a single shot went through Lyle's leg.

"Son of a bitch!"

Jenna ran back to Carol and Cheyenne. Cheyenne smoothed her hair.

"You're okay. You're safe."

Jesse slapped cuffs on Lyle as Pritchard walked over to Jenna.

"Hey, My name is Steven."

Jenna looked up with tears in her eyes.

"Is he?"

"No. I only wounded him."

"You're the one who shot him?"

"Yes Ma'am. Sharpshooter in the Army."

Switching between chuckles and sobs, Jenna looked at him.

"Could I ask why you're here?"

"Besides my job, I'm here to ask a gorgeous girl out to dinner. What do you say?"

"I'm a horrible cook."

"It's a good thing I don't need a cook. I just need a really amazing girlfriend."

Jenna hugged him tightly. Akamu looked at Cheyenne.

"Do we tell them we intended to set them up but not like this?"

Cheyenne laughed.

"Nah, why wreck the hero worship."

Akamu kissed Cheyenne. Jesse comes back to Lizzie, Carol, Pritchard and Jenna.

"So.. What did I miss?"

"Hey Boss, I saved the day!"

"Now, go get the girl." Jesse says.

"Gladly." Steven says.

At Lyle's hearing, Jenna explained everything she'd been through. Akamu, the prosecutor, asked one very strange question.

"How did you come up with 'pencil' as an emergency word?"

"I have a dream of being an artist. I usually use pencils to sketch my work out before I paint it. So, Pencils make me feel safe."

"Fair enough, Miss Thompson. That'll be all. Thank you."

Jenna left the courtroom, safe in the arms of her sharpshooter.

December 08, 2020 10:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.