8 comments

General

“I can’t believe you did this,” Emma screams at Liam, trying to control her anger as she looks through the curtains of their house, making sure they weren’t waking up any neighbors with their shouting.

“I’m so sorry.” Liam takes a step forward and holds her hands, looking straight inside her green eyes. Water gathers in the bottom lid of his eyes. “I promise this will never happen again. Please don’t leave me alone in a moment like this. I love you.”

Emma pushes his hands away and looks at the floor. This is not the first time he brings another woman to their home. She takes deep breaths, trying to stay calm; she knows that she can not let her rage dominate her again. Emma looks at Liam and, as she tries to ignore the boyish look in him that she still loves, her lips lightly tremble.

Emma shakes her head; she knows that she can’t trust him anymore. She turns around and places her hands in the window glass, contemplating, along with the moon, the car parked outside. Emma wonders if she should enter the car and drive away.

“I don’t trust you anymore, Liam,” Emma says with a croaky voice while facing her husband. “Maybe you should leave and never come back.”

“No.” He shakes his head, outraged with the idea. “We belong to each other.”

Liam knew he messed up. He sits in the living room chair and lets his head fall in his hands, massaging his temples. He was doing so well in controlling his urges, but, this morning, when Hadassa, his receptionist, leaned in his desk and he smelled her sweet perfume, he immediately gave up on the idea of self-control and took her home.

Images of him in high school with Emma start to appear in his mind, leading to the arrival of a gentle smile in his mouth. However, those images are quickly replaced by the time he spent with Hadassa earlier today. Liam aggressively runs his fingers through his hair, wondering what type of man he truly is. He raises his head to see Emma looking out of the window. Liam questions if the mistakes he made will improve or destroy this family.

“Are you tempted to go?” Liam asks with an appealing voice.

“Why would I go? It’s your fault.” Emma’s sharp eyes pierce Liam, leaving him without words.

In his mind, Liam considered himself a great lawyer. However, as his wife looked at him from across the room, he could find no argument to lead him to victory. This entire situation was hopeless. She is right; it is all his fault. He lets his head fall back as the guilt corrupts him inside; he should have been a better husband.

Liam’s mind went around in complete mess for minutes, until he came across the memory of his parents’ relationship. The way in which they supported each other and were present in whatever way it was necessary; they were a real team. And that is what Liam needed. For him and his wife to protect each other. He wanted the perfect marriage.

Liam rises and stands his hand to his wife. “Look, I’m sorry that you are having to go through this and I’m sorry that I messed up,” he says looking into her eyes. “But this is an opportunity for us to become closer. I want you in every part of my life. I want you everywhere.”

Emma wonders around the idea until she finally holds Liam’s hand, who immediately pulls her closer and kisses her passionately.

“You are everything to me,” Liam says holding her as if he is touching something divine.

Emma gives a shy smile and looks down, her heart beating fast just like it did when she was sixteen. She couldn’t deny that her love for this honey blond-haired man was real, but she could see that it was dangerous; he had her in the palm of his hands and she would do anything to keep him. In a moment of courage, Emma decides to go.

She grabs the car keys previously left on top of the table, puts on a coat, and walks past Liam, not daring to look at him. He opens his mouth as his wife touches the doorknob. 

“I ⏤”

“Don’t say a word,” Emma interrupts him with a frustrated tone. “I’m still mad at you.”

Liam quickly takes a step back and watches as she leaves the house; he wonders when she will be back. Emma’s legs tremble as she walks to the car and, as she enters the key on the hole, she notices her shaking hands, making the simple act of opening the door take way more time then it should.

She sits in the car, closes her eyes, and takes deep breaths, gathering more courage to start driving. As the car starts moving, Emma imagines a million different scenarios that could take place based on her recent actions. She is waiting for the worst. 

At the intersection in Union Route, Emma stops at a red light, allowing her to focus her entire attention on the current situation. Emma begins the sweat and cleans her hands in her jeans, noticing by the redness of her hands that she was holding the wheel with too much strength. She changes her mind eight times but decides to keep going. It is the right thing to do. 

When the traffic lights turn green, the image of Samuel Parry, one of Liam’s best friends, invades her mind as she struggles to remember where he lives, entering the wrong street three times until she finds his pastel blue house in the middle of Parkview Street. Emma parks the car in front of his driveway and sits quietly in the dark, waiting for a good excuse to be knocking on his door at 2 AM with a big favor to ask. 

As she leaves the car, she is careful not to make too much noise with the car door, leaving it half-open; it’s not like someone is going to rob her, this is a great part of town. Emma pushes the doorbell and rubs her hands together, rehearsing the speech that she just wrote in her head. She is not great with words but this needs to work out. Emma breathes quickly.

Maddison, Samuel Parry’s wife, opens the door while adjusting her robe.

“Emma?” Maddison furrows her brow. “What are you doing here? Did something happen?”

Emma immediately bursts into a desperate crying, sobbing dramatically while Maddison rushes to hold and lead her inside the house. Maddison sits Emma at the kitchen table.

“Tell me what happened,” Maddison begs while she heats up water to make Emma some tea. “Where is Liam?”

“What is happening here?” a voice says as it comes down the stairs. Emma turns around to see Samuel Parry with raised eyebrows and a tight-lipped smile on his face. “Emma, what a surprise.” 

Samuel enters the kitchen and gently places his left arm around his wife’s shoulders, leading her to the door.

“What are you doing?” Maddison narrows her eyes.

“I will take care of her, you go back to bed.” He places his other hand in the lower part of her venter and looks inside her tender eyes. “You need to rest.”

Maddison calmly nods and turns to Emma. “Will you be okay? I should go back to bed.”

“Of course.” Emma fakes a smile. “Don’t worry, everything is fine.”

Maddison goes up the stairs and her husband sits in front of Emma, staring at her with a raised eyebrow. 

“Didn’t think you would show up here,” he says. “We wait until she falls asleep and then we start. Give me your keys, I will move your car.”

Emma leans back.

“What?” she says, staring at Samuel with wide eyes. “You know?”

He walks to the stove and puts the hot water in the cup, finishing the tea. “Yes, Liam called me a few hours ago.” Samuel stares at Emma. “You are aware that is not the first time this happens, right?”

“Yes, he told me, but I don’t know what to do.” Emma looks down. “I love him.”

“And he loves you.” Samuel gives a half shrug.

“He cheated on me.” Emma squints her eyes and glares at him. 

Samuel presses his lips together. “Well, everything is not his fault.”

“Maybe we are toxic for each other.” Emma looks down. “What should I do? Should I leave him?”

“I think you’ve made your decision already.” He stands his right hand with the palm faced up, asking for the keys. “You are here, after all.”

Emma slowly reaches for the keys in her pockets and hands it to Samuel, who quickly stands up and leaves the kitchen. She sits still as she hears the front door being closed. After a few minutes of staring at the kitchen sink while thinking about everything that happened this day, Emma stands up and makes her way into the garage, unsure of what she will find.

Samuel is leaning inside the trunk of her car, reaching for something that she can not see. Emma takes a deep breath and walks to the car.

As she looks at the scared expression frozen in Hadassa’s face, Emma feels the need to turn her head, however, she holds her stare, analyzing the dead body. Emma is aware that she needs to face this. She needs to accept it.

Hadassa’s eyes are slightly popped out and a small amount of blood dries in the corners of her mouth. Emma slowly makes her way down her body, finding the open stab wound that killed Hadassa surrounded by her stained red shirt. Emma looks away.

“Hold this,” Samuel says as he hands Emma Hadassa’s heels that he just took off her swollen feet.

“I have to help?” Emma asks, taking a step back and putting her arms out with her palms forward.

“Of course,” Samuel says as he takes Hadassa’s body out the truck and holds it in his arms. “You’re the one who killed her. The least you could do is help take care of the mess this time.”

Emma rolls her eyes and takes off her coat. 

August 21, 2020 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Keerththan 😀
05:49 Sep 03, 2020

Amazing twist. I did NOT see that coming. Well written. Great job. Would you mind reading my story "The adventurous tragedy?"

Reply

Maria Callender
01:52 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you! Not at all, I will definitely read your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Edwards
13:55 Sep 01, 2020

Interesting story with an unexpected twist at the end. I think there might be an issue with tenses though. Keep writing the more you write the better you get.

Reply

Maria Callender
02:21 Sep 05, 2020

Do you mean in dialogue? As in 'says' instead of 'said'? Thank you for reading my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica Mills
02:39 Sep 01, 2020

Well told story! I was surprised by the ending!

Reply

Maria Callender
02:19 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Maygrove
21:04 Aug 27, 2020

So I guessed very early on that Hadassa was dead, but was surprised by who killed her. Nice work subverting expectations, and great work on an engagingly told story.

Reply

Maria Callender
01:08 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.