2 comments

Thriller Suspense Romance

It was Sunday, the laziest of all days. You can have work from Monday to Friday, sometimes on Saturday, but Sunday was the day for absolute rest. But no, not mine. Today I had to move all my luggage to my new home, in the Freudor neighborhood. It was an impressively quiet place, the neighbors looked quite calm in appearance and I think I would feel good there. The neighborhood itself was in the suburbs. Anyway, enough for that, it was time to get my things out.

On the way there, I wondered what it would be like, whether it would be fun to move from the most crowded neighborhood of my city to the quietest. Whether I would get along with the new neighbors or whether I will ever communicate with them. At one point I noticed a car driving right behind mine. He had the opportunity to pass me several times, but he didn’t. I decided not to pay attention, but he even came into the neighborhood with me. I parked in front of my house, and he parked across from mine, then got out and headed for his trunk. He opened it and began to pull out suitcases. Somehow I calmed down because I said to myself, “What a coincidence to meet a new neighbor in the new neighborhood?”. Getting out of the car, I started to take luggage out of it and bring it into the house. When I finished, before entering the house for the last time, I turned and looked at his house and saw him get in his car again and leave. Before he drove, our eyes met, and I closed the door and locked it.

I spent my day unpacking and arranging clothes, objects and utensils. In general, I decorated my house with my things. It was nice, the home was very cozy, tidy and comfortable for a person like me. I even lit my fireplace for the simple reason that it was the end of October and the weather was quite cold. I liked that the house was completely heated by the fireplace. Pipes ran through every room.

After I decided that I was ready with everything, I decided to take a walk and take a look. After all, I only drove around. When I got out of us I went left, down the street and walked for about five minutes until I came to a small cafe. I went inside, there weren’t many people, but two of the tables were full. I ordered a cappuccino and after they made it for me I sat at the end table by the window. I looked outside and watched it get dark, it was after six o’clock in the evening. When I took my last sip, my mysterious neighbor came in through the cafe door. Honestly, he looked pretty good in appearance, I couldn’t judge his body through the thick clothes he was wearing, but he seemed to have a good structure, his skin was quite light, his hair was dark brown, I couldn’t see his eyes because I have not saw him up close.

Leaving the cafe, I walked back home.

“Do you mind if I accompany you?” - I heard behind me and turned. - “I’m sorry if it’s too rude, but it’s dark and I guess it’s not the most pleasant thing to go home alone.”

“Sure, why not!” - I answered and we both started walking. - “Are you new here?”

“Yes, I suppose so do you.”

“Yes, I decided to diversify a bit.” - I laughed. - “Hailey, it’s nice to meet you!”

“I’m glad to meet you, too, Hailey. I’m Nicholas!”

“Nice name, I like it.”

While we were having strangely stupid conversations so that there would be no awkward silence as we walked home, we reached my door.

“Well, Haley, good night. It will be nice to see you around, because we live door against door.”

“Good night to you too, Nick! Talk to you tomorrow!” - I said and went home.

When I closed the door, butterflies seemed to be raging in my stomach. You know what it feels like! I went to bed with a smile on my face and waited impatiently for the next day.

When they say Mondays are weird, people are not lying. When I woke up I went to the door as I saw that the mail in had arrived and I saw that one of the letters was from the neighborhood. I opened it and read that Pierce Anderson, a man who apparently lives a little up the street from me, had died. I had an invitation to the funeral tomorrow? Tell me, isn’t it super weird that someone dies in your neighborhood and the whole nation spills at the funeral. I don’t even know him! Leaving that aside, my day was extremely boring, I hadn’t heard from Nicholas all day, I hadn’t seen him outside, his car was gone, and I assumed he was probably busy.

Tuesday, a new letter from the neighborhood. A dead man again! God, where did I move to live? I was afraid to leave my home, to be honest, in all that was happening. I happened to be in the kitchen when I saw Nicholas parked through the window. I immediately ran to the door and left the house, running towards him.

“Hey!” - I said breathlessly.

“Are you okay?” - He asked me, and I nodded. - “How are you, Haley? I haven’t seen you recently.”

“Me too. Something very strange is happening in this neighborhood, I don’t like it.”

“I’m sorry, yesterday and today I was at my villa in the neighboring village with my family. I don’t know what you’re talking about, could you explain?”

“Two people died in these two days and it is very strange, because how does such a thing happen in a neighborhood for two consecutive days?” - I said in one breath.

“Wow. Such things happen, don’t think about it! Just the strange coincidence of life. Don’t worry, if you want we can go for a walk somewhere else to cheer up a bit?”

“Would be great.”

We spent the afternoon in the garden of the city center. It was nice, I won’t lie. I liked Nicholas, I was realizing that, and I didn’t mind. When we got home, I went to bed and the next day guess what! Again a letter, an injured man in the neighborhood attacked by an animal? It was written that the man described the creature as large as a man, blood-red eyes, but nothing else, as it was dark. They gave this even on the morning news, and warned not to leave their homes, except as a matter of urgency. I called Nick because we exchanged numbers last night.

“Are you at home?” - I asked quietly.

“Yes, I just washed the dishes. And what are you doing, sweetie?” - I shuddered at the way he spoke to me.

“Do you want company for the day? Because they forbade temporary leaving our houses?”

“Aren’t you going to leave home to come home?” - He asked playfully and didn’t wait for me to respond. - “I’m kidding, sweetie, come when you want!”

After the conversation, I dressed in leggings and a sweatshirt and went to Nicholas.

“I’m a little scared, I must admit.” - I said when we sat on the couch in the living room.

“It is normal, dangerous things are happening these days.” - He replied calmly.

“How do you manage to keep such calm?”

“If I panic or fear like you, how would you feel safe with me?”

“Yes, you are right.” - I muttered softly. - “Where is the kitchen, I would like to have water.”

“The door is over there. There is also orange juice in the fridge!”

Entering the kitchen, I looked around, it was quite sweet. I reached out to open the refrigerator, and at that moment Nicholas pulled me up and hugged me.

“What’s wrong?” - I asked.

“Nothing, I just realized how rude am I to make the guest serve on her own! Allow me to pour juice, go to the living room.”

“Whatever you say.”

I went back to the couch a little confused. I didn’t even hear when he reached me. After a while he appeared with two glasses of orange juice and we played a movie. Unwillingly, I reached out to get the glass, but dropped it and it broke to pieces.

“Oh, my God, I’m so sorry!” - I shouted.

“No problem, let me clean …” - By the time he said it, though, I had already collected a few pieces, with one of which I cut myself. - “Hailey!”

“There is nothing, it’s just a cut, it will be fine.” - I replied, but I saw him turn to the other side. - “Is everything all right, Nick?”

“Yes, I need water.”

He got up and walked to the kitchen, but I followed him and took his hand. He turned and I saw that his eyes were blood red. He started to explain, but before he could say anything, opening his mouth, I saw that his canine teeth were longer than usual. Then the thought came to me, he was the cause of the dead and the wounded man. My eyes watered.

“Don’t hurt me, I beg you!” - I whispered.

“Run, shut yourself in and don’t go out!” - He roared at me.

I did not wait for a second threat and left his home quickly. I locked all the doors and windows and curled up in bed. I cried because I was scared. I fell in love with a monster.

After a few hours I was asleep. The next day I woke up and went to make coffee. I sat in the kitchen to drink it, but as soon as I saw Nicholas come out of his house and see me, I went to the living room, where there were no windows and he could not see me from anywhere. He rang the doorbell and knocked several times.

“Hailey! Hailey, open up, please! We need to talk!”

I did not answer. A few days later, the news reported several more cases of people being attacked and killed by an unknown creature. I left the house and breathed in the air, then walked forward to Nicholas’. I knocked and the door opened immediately. He appeared with blood on his mouth and a torn T-shirt.

“Haley …” - He said softly.

“Are you okay?” - I asked, reaching for his bloodied lips.

“Yes, I missed you, Hailey!” - He hugged me and pulled me inside. - “I’m sorry about that day. I shouldn’t have scared you. I would’ve told you about myself after a while, when I was sure you would not betray me.”

“I did not betray you now either. I don’t like you killing people.”

“I know, but there’s nothing I can do about it. My nature is like that, I’ve done it for hundreds of years, and I do it now.”

“How old are you actually?”

“Six hundred and twenty-five.”

“I’m obviously falling in love with old men!” - I laughed.

“We can be together forever, Hailey!” - Nicholas exclaimed happily. - “You can be my wife forever!”

“Your wife? Nick, you’re in a hurry with things between us.”

“I do not think so.”

That was the last sentence I heard before he kissed me and bit his lip. His blood got into my mouth and I inadvertently swallowed it, after which he bit me on the neck and I fainted.

October 29, 2020 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Conor Thackray
00:22 Nov 06, 2020

I think you need to work on tension and building suspense. There's no real payoff and the reveal is rather unsatisfying. The vampire in plain sight story has been around for a long time now so I understand that it is challenging to make this original. It's also worth double checking your tenses, spelling and crammar before you upload.

Reply

Angela Sokolova
10:05 Nov 06, 2020

thank u, i'll work on it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.