2 comments

Urban Fantasy Fiction Mystery

The chiming of the clock of my wall filled the silence. My eyes were too focused on the little figure I front of me to look at the time. I already knew it was late in the night. Stories and urban legends passed down from ancestor to ancestor swirled through my head, as I stared at the porcelain baby doll. It had an energy around it that could be explained, it almost felt as if it’s energy or soul was reaching out across the room, searching for something.

My Grandmothers words flooded through mg head. Weird and crazy experiences that everyone in the family had with the doll. Items would disappear around the house and shadows would walk through the halls or stand at the ends of the beds. But not for me…When I grew old enough to understand the stories and realise I was next in the bloodline to receive this heirloom, I was terrified.

Nightmares plagued my sleep leading up to the day of my 12th birthday, but it was more anticlimactic than anything. The doll sat on my dresser, it’s glossy black eyes staring aimlessly in my direction. I felt like if I blinked, she would disappear.

It was strange… This baby seemed harmless, besides the strong aura. Her clothes were period dated, which boosted her creepiness. Was the clock ticking louder now? No… I’m probably just tired…

I tore my eyes away from her blank gaze, reading that clocked that now read 2:38am. My heart sunk a little, I didn’t realise it was that late in the night. Reaching my hand across my bedside table, I flicked off the standalone lamp, glancing at the doll as I positioned myself into bed, finding a comfy position.

It was unnerving with the lights off now, I felt I could still make out her eyes in the dark, always watching. Once again, I break the staring contest first, rolling onto my side and pulling up my covers, as if it would offer some sort of protection throughout the night.

My eyes fluttered open, it didn’t feel like I was asleep for long…A pale feminine hand was blurry in my vision, a smooth index finger caressing my cheek and under my chin. As I became more conscious, I furrowed my brows, blinking away the blurriness and adjusting my eyes to the dark room. Upon finally awakening, the hand retreated immediately when it realised I was awake. I followed the direction of the hand, my body tenses as my 12 year old self thought the boogeyman had finally revealed himself.

Instead, sitting perfectly on my bed side table, is the porcelain baby. It’s glossy eyes boring into mine, I could have sworn she was smiling now… I flicked my head to the dresser across from my bed, where I had sat her originally…Had I slept walked and moved her closer? Maybe mum had come in and thought she’d like it better beside the bed…

Using a shaking arm, I reached across where the baby sat to flick on the bedside lamp. The light momentarily blinding me as it illuminated the room. Once my eyes had adjusted once again… the doll was gone… Had I been dreaming about the doll on my table? My eyes scanned the room, noting off a mental checklist if everything being in place. I now understood what my family were talking about…

Faint giggling echoed throughout my room. I sat up, unnerved that I now had to play hide and seek with a doll…at…3:43am in the morning. Moving in slow motion, I slide from the covers and lightly dropped myself on to the hardwood floor. Walking on light feet, I tiptoed around the room, trying to stay as quiet as possible to pinpoint the giggling.

It sounded as if she was everywhere, at every corner of the room.

“Can’t we play in the morning? I’m too tired to play with you right now?” My yawn after the words left my mouth, solidified my statement.

My eyes were closing on their own, my bed enticing me to go back to sleep and the morning neared. I sat on the floor, showing that I didn’t want to play anymore but also because I just wanted to lay down and sleep. Letting out a final sigh, my eyes began to flutter close, exhaustion taking over me.

This time, I was allowed to sleep until the morning, no disturbances whatsoever. I let out a yawn and sat up in my bed, a foggy memory moving to the front of my mind. Two pale arms, ladies arms, they cradled me as I stirred at the sudden movement, lulling me back into a blissful sleep. 

My heart rate quickened, looking around my room for the doll or even the pale lady, but there was nothing… Apart of me was glad that the doll was missing, this meant that I didn’t have to play with it during the night anymore, hopefully.

Suddenly, my pink paint of my bedroom walls faded, revealing a lavender colour, a hand tapping me on my arm, bringing me back to the present. I glanced down and put on a smile, embracing my young daughter in a hug as she wore a confused look. 

“Mum what we’re you thinking about?”

“Of all the things I have to get ready for your birthday baby!” I lied, I did need to worry her with that story, maybe when she was older. 

“Now, you need to go downstairs missy and start cleaning the lounge room for when your friends arrive”, I ordered light heartedly, watching her cheer and run off.

I smiled softly, turning back to the room to turn off the lights. Once they winked out, my attention was caught by a figured that appeared. The remaining light from the hallway bled in to the room, illuminating the pale woman. The blood drained from my face. I blinked, and my heart made a start from shock. The woman was no longer there, Instead, sitting perfectly on my daughters bed, as if it hadn’t aged in decades and still wanted to continue where It left off, was the porcelain baby doll. I rubbed my eyes and opened them to see the doll disappear, I took that as my chance to leave, closing the door and walking away, all while hearing that same giggling from that night. 

I thought she was gone…lost even…How could I have been that stupid.. of course this would happen, after all, it was part of the family legend…

But right now I need to focus on my daughter.

And the setting up of her…

…12th birthday party…

July 15, 2022 11:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

10:35 Jul 21, 2022

Very very nice story Riley! I read it in a single breath, and enjoyed the theme very much :)

Reply

Riley H
19:35 Jul 21, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.