Friendships and Crimes #1: Dirty Business

Submitted into Contest #56 in response to: Write a story about two people meeting during unusual circumstances and becoming fast friends.... view prompt

29 comments

Mystery

Author's Note: This is my first story, so I hope you enjoy it!


Nora walked down the wintery streets of London, her eyes filled with hot, burning wet tears that poured down her pale sunken cheeks. Inside, she was burning in a fire of sadness and anger, both eating at her so badly, she felt all sickly and nauseating. Her cold ears, icy nose, greasy messed up hair, only made her irritation and pounding headache worse.


Pushing open the glass doors of her favourite cafe, Nora strode over to the counter, shaking snow off her navy blue coat. The cafe's warm light, chattering people, bright coloured walls, smiling staff and a cosy atmosphere contrasted the grimness outside.


"Can I have a coffee?", She asked the staff who were busily whipping up coffees and other orders. Frustrated at being ignored, she knocked on the desk, hoping to grab their attention.

One of them turned towards her and smiled. Nora gasped, it was a familiar and memorable face which she would recognise anywhere! The girl had dark chocolate hair, big blue eyes, dimples on her red cheeks and beauty mark right below her left eye.


"Nora? Such a coincidence that you came on my shift!" The girl gasped, revealing perfect sparkly white teeth.

"I know right? Now I get to see my favourite cousin again!" cried Nora, darting forward and wrapped her cousin in a hug.

"So, what coffee do you want?"

"Come on Mia! You know exactly what I like!" Nora chuckles and smiled.

"You seem upset... Is it... Mal?"

"Don't even ask. Of course, it's Mallory Bridges... She ruins my life!" Nora groaned, shaking her head.

"What did she do this time?"


Nora took the cup of coffee, lowering her wet green eyes.

"First, she tripped me, then spilt cranberry juice on my shirt and mocked me that I'm a geek and stuff in front of everyone... so yeah"

Mia gasped and felt her blood boiling that she dropped the spoons in her hands.

β€œThat evil, spoilt, selfish, arrogant brat! Who does she think she is! Just because her family is rich and well known, doesn’t mean she rules the world!”

β€œI know but there’s nothing we can do about her! If we do stand up, she’ll make our lives a living hell!”

β€œI know... but she’ll bully more people! We’ve got to stop her without getting caught”

Nora nodded, taking a sip of her cold coffee, then made a face.


Taking Nora’s hand, Mia led her towards the back of the cafΓ©, where it has only staff access.

β€œMeet Haley! You remember her?” exclaimed Mia, but Nora looked confused.

β€œWho is she?”

Nora was facing a sandy blonde-haired girl, with gleaming amber eyes and an extremely wide smile.


β€œWho is she Mia?” asked Nora impatiently, nudging Mia.

β€œYou’re classmate in year 2!” Mia smiled.

β€œOh yeah! It’s so great to meet you again Haley! How are you doing!” gasped Nora, wrapping Haley in a bear hug.

β€œI’m great!” She smiled and looked at Nora.

The two went outside and sat at a newly polished oak table. Nora raised her hand and called for Mia who was polishing glasses.


β€œHey Mia, can I re-order my coffee? Oh, and what do you want Haley?”

β€œUh, maybe some hot chocolate?” Haley smiled.

β€œOkay, one hot chocolate and coffee coming right up!” exclaimed Mia.

The two girls began to talk a little, while they patiently waited for their drinks.


Mia arrived with a steaming mug of hot cocoa and a cup of divinely scented coffee, along with extra sugar.

β€œBon appetite, girls”, exclaimed Mia serving the drinks before them. They grinned, Nora could smell the coffee drifting towards her nostrils and the vapour hitting against her face.


β€œHey, I was just wondering but why do you look so down?”, asked Haley, rubbing her hands against the warmth of the mug.

β€œOh… It’s nothing really”, Nora chuckled nervously and looked down, fidgeting with the spoon.

β€œYou can tell me, it’s seriously fine”

β€œIt’s just Mal…” muttered Nora but Haley looked perplexed, her eyebrows raised.

β€œMallory Bridges, the most popular girl in high school! She ruins everything!”

β€œOh, that’s… horrible. I mean, she shouldn’t bully people”

β€œYeah”, Nora said solemnly, looking down at the coffee and took a sip.


β€œHey, I better go, my brother’s waiting for me… oh and here’s my number”,

Nora grabbed her bag that was hanging off the side of the varnish smelling chair and slipped a note over to Haley.

β€œWell, see you! Oh, here… take this” Haley passed a ripped sticky-note piece which she folded up tightly.

β€œThanks…”

Nora took the note and tucked it into a pocket in her coat, then placed a $50 note on a small dish that was laid on the corner of the table.


Once the two parted ways, Nora headed down the street towards a dark alley.

Her boots scraped against the gravel and the scent of the alley was at the most unpleasant. Like rotten fish, sewage water, decaying animals and the poop of stray animals. But something made Nora stop in her tracks, more like someone…


It was a girl, slender, tall, a pretty girl. Nora looked in horror, she could notice her anywhere, bleached blonde hair, overdone makeup, diamond nose ring, glaring charcoal eyes and thick fake eyelashes and the scent of a luxury perfume! Who else can it be other than Mallory Bridges, the most horrid, selfish, spoilt brat anyone would set eyes on.


Nora went cold, she felt her temperature drop and beads of sweat formed on her forehead. Luckily, Mallory was facing the other way her back turned towards Nora and she was on her phone, possibly texting someone. Oddly, Mallory was wearing a pair of white shorts and a small jumper and heels on a freezing day.


Nora ducked behind a dumpster and turned on the camera on her phone. Nora felt her suspicions rising. What was Mallory, a girl so rich and cool doing here in a dark alley where it stank of fishes and was dusty and dirty? Nora waited and watched for at least five minutes until a man, dressed in a ripped cloak emerged out of the shadows, he handed over something and Mallory gave a stack of money away, just like that.


Nora gasped, was Mallory really doing dirty business with that guy to get something in return? It must be special that Mallory gave up that much money! Once Mallory was out, Nora stopped recording and immediately texted Haley and asked her if she could come over.






August 28, 2020 12:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Avery G.
02:35 Aug 31, 2020

Wow, this was a good story! I loved it! Great job!

Reply

Avery G.
21:38 Aug 31, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey, if you can, check out my new story and please leave me some feedback to improve!

Reply

Avery G.
00:38 Sep 05, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Great story! Really enjoyed the detail in those descriptions! I'm waiting for part two... I better get one soon :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
00:26 Apr 29, 2021

Marvelous story

Reply

Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
23:38 Sep 02, 2020

This was a great story! You did a great job with the description!!

Reply

Thank you Lulu! I'm looking forward to read you're first story!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey, do you want to check out my new story! Please feel free to give me feedback so I improve!

Reply

Lulu Lemon
17:45 Sep 05, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
D. Shikha
11:58 Sep 02, 2020

Nice story, SS!! Good jobπŸ‘

Reply

Hey can you check out my new story? Please feel free to leave me any feedback!

Reply

D. Shikha
01:40 Sep 05, 2020

Yeah, sure!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
. .
22:46 Sep 01, 2020

Beautifully written! I love the detail and vocabulary

Reply

Hey, if you can, check out my new story and please leave me some feedback to improve!

Reply

. .
00:57 Sep 05, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.