2 comments

Fiction Friendship

Six years in the making and he's finally ready. Six years of hard work. Six years of blood and sweat. Six years of sleepless nights to make my dream come true and now here I am done, finished. Ollie is ready for the world to see and Ollie is ready to see the world.

Ollie started as a dream, as a way to put my creative aspirations to the test and boy did I achieve what I wanted.

I'm an artist. I love to draw anything from people to animals to anything I can imagine and that's how Ollie came to be.

Ollie started as a drawing. My inspiration came from my baby brother. I drew a sketch of my baby brother, redrew some of his features and I got Ollie.

The day I decided to make Ollie real or as real as I can get was during my senior year of high school.

I had so many sketches of different things, but I always came back to Ollie. Ollie was always my first choice.

By the time I graduate high school and got accepted to Stanford I had so many prototypes of Ollie. The earliest version of Ollie was made of card board boxes.

There were lots of days when I had to improvise with the materials I had to use. A lot of the times I wanted to give up on Ollie, but then I thought of my baby brother and how much he will love Ollie so I kept going.

It was only when I got to Stanford that Ollie received the proper attention. While at Stamford I met the one person who would propel Ollie to new heights.

Halle, My roommate and who would turn out to become my best friend helped me, encouraged me to continue to build Ollie because Ollie would one day change the world.

I believed Halle and you know what Halle turned out to be right. Ollie is indeed going to change the world.

Me and Halle worked for the next four years non-stop until we perfected Ollie and during our final year at Stanford Halle stepped away from the project to focus on other projects.

I sill remember what Halle said to me. She said "Sophia, never give up on your dream, always believe in yourself and remember you can change the world and so can Ollie."

Me and Halle went our separate ways, but we kept in touch. We talked about life and about Ollie. Halle still gave more ideas to improve Ollie.

Straight out of Stanford I got hired by one of the best tech company in the world. They were so impressed with Ollie that they wanted me to continue with my project.

Universal Dynamics is one of the biggest tech company that emphasizes in Robotics Applied Science. It blew my mind that this big company wanted to hire me.

I was eager to begin my work and to bring Ollie to the world, but from the moment I began working to refine Ollie I was given specific instructions to make Ollie into a weapon instead of family friendly which is what I wanted.

So, I bit my tongue and continued my work with Ollie, but what nobody knew is I kept parts of my initial research on Ollie hidden.

I couldn't agree to what Universal Dynamics wanted me to do to Ollie. I did follow their instructions to a bare minimum until I can find a way out. I only changed a few of Ollie's mechanisms.

Ollie wasn't going to become a weapon. Ollie was going to become what I wanted him to become. So, I worked day and night without any sleep to make Ollie into the best version, but things only got worse. A takeover is what it was.

A year after I started working at Universal Dynamics I was summoned to the boss's office and told Ollie would be handed over to a different scientist, one who has years of experience working with robots.

As you can imagine I was angry. Ollie has been my dream for a long time and now I had to hand my project, my Ollie to a stranger.

I was instructed not to interfere, but I didn't listen. I had to protect my work, to protect Ollie. Damn their instructions. I thought I was suppose to help the world, but no they wanted a weapon. I wasn't going to give them what they wanted.

So, I did what I do best I created a new version of Ollie. This new version of Ollie was different than the original. Those idiots at Universal Dynamics won't know the difference between the two.

In order to protect myself I took all my research, back them up, made dozens upon dozens of copies and hid them. I even have the original sketch of ollie and hid that as well. I left the new team with only a little bit of information.

I watched them work on how to make Ollie a weapon and me in the back ground smiling and laughing at those idiots saying screw your instructions.

I worked on this new version of Ollie for two weeks. No one noticed me going in and out of the lab taking the materials I needed. I checked on Ollie to see if he was doing okay and to see if they made any changes.

Thankfully they didn't change a lot of Ollie's systems. So, I took the materials I had and finished building the new Ollie. I was happy the way the new Ollie came out.

The next part of my plan is to switch both Ollie's. My ollie is coming home with me. The next day at work is when the change is going to happen.

I arrived early for work, 6 am to be exact. I parked my car, took the new version of Ollie, walked inside the building, walked to the elevator, got in and pressed 5.

The elevator stopped on the 5th floor where the lab is located. I got out and walked to the lab. I checked my surroundings to see if anyone was in the building.

No one is here. I opened the door, walked in. I walked to Ollie grabbed him and put the new Ollie on the table.

I left the lab and Universal Dynamics for good. Later that night I called Halle and told her what happened. I didn't cry. I was happy about what I did. Ollie is a very important part of my life. I'm happy I didn't do what they wanted me to do. This was the first time in life I didn't follow anyone's instructions and it made me feel good.

Halle told me about this incredible opportunity to work for this startup company and the best part is Halle is the owner. I jumped at this incredible opportunity and here I am six years later ready to show Ollie to the world.

Here I go. I walk to the stage and introduce Ollie to the world. Ollie walks to the stage and says Hi.

June 15, 2022 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kevin Alphatooni
14:05 Jun 23, 2022

A wholesome story but I was thrown off by your flow at times. You used the name Ollie more times than I would have liked to read. It got repetitive. Also, if Ollie was a top of the line, super awesome, first of his kind robot, wouldn't Universal Dynamic have him locked up, be under surveillance, or have some guards posted for security? That robot sounded like a multimillion dollar idea. I doubt someone could just walk in and swap it out without the company knowing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carl Tengstrom
12:33 Jun 19, 2022

Thank you for this wonderful story. The idea of Ollie was great. I folloWed his steps with care. Unfortunately I had difficulties to follow your tempo changes. I cannot accept that you in the same passage of text change from present to imperfect. The language of the story is very good and pleasant. All in all this is an interesting story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.