0 comments

Fantasy Adventure



“Milton! Have you never worked on a ship!? Get over to the starboard side and help Kody out!” I yelled, as I took my hat off and wiped my brow.

These idiots! I’m never getting anywhere with them. I need to get to Dieden Island and these oafs aren’t getting me anywhere!

As if to prove my point Milton again started moving to the port side. I was about to yell at him again but instead, I stomped off to my cabin not wanting to deal with them anymore.

I opened the door and slammed it shut behind me. I stopped and sighed looking around the small wooden room. I had a desk to the right with a large leather chair that I had taken from our last raid, behind it. I walked over to a small table over to the left which had a bucket of water on it. I splashed the cool water on my face and let it trickle off my face, loving the feeling. I decided not to dry it off and let myself fall into my chair. 

It hadn’t been more than ten seconds before Rex, my second in command, walked in. He hesitated when he saw me sitting lazily in my chair with a scowl on my face.

“Dean,...we need you out there. I know it's not the best crew but they need your help.” Rex finally said. 

“Do you think I came in here cause I thought that they could handle it?! I’ve been with them all week. Telling them to do the simplest things and they’re failing! I’ve been captain of The Executioner for years and she deserves a far better crew than this.” I spat out, saying exactly what had been in my mind since the beginning of this voyage. 

“Yes, I know. But you wanted to start this voyage as fast as possible and you took the first thirteen people who volunteered.” Rex said a little sternly then calming down he said:

“You were so eager to start this voyage, what happened?” 

I saw the concern in my friend’s eyes. We had both been together for years and I knew that we would be together for many more years. I looked at his fair hair that was sticking to his forehead from the sweat of working in the sun all day. His skin as tan as it was had a reddish tint in it from the burn that was slowly appearing on his muscular frame. Rex had been my first pick as my first mate because I knew he would have the muscle that I lacked and I would have the strategy that he lacked. 

“I just...I thought that by now we would be on Dieden island retrieving it….” I shrugged letting the rest hang. “It's just the more I think of it the more I crave for it to be in my possession. I want to feel it in my hand and know that it's safe with me again.” 


<><><><><><><><><><>


I watched as Dean talked and saw the odd gleam that came into his eyes. As he talked about it he made the motion of stroking something. I was worried about Dean. I had never seen him this obsessed with anything. He had only recently told me about a dragon tile he had once had. I had heard of them before and knew that it was a powerful artifact. Whoever wielded a dragon tile had the power to control the seas. The downside to having one was that the longer you had been away from it the more you thought about it and the more you thought about it the more it consumed your daily thoughts, urging you to use it again. 

Dean told me that he had last used it when his father was captain of The Executioner. It had been a year since his father’s death so I knew that by now the dragon tile had to be at the top of Dean’s mind. 

“Dean listen to yourself. You’re not in your right mind. We will get there before the week is out-”

“That's not soon enough! You don’t understand Rex. It needs me. I hear it in my dreams telling me to find it.” Dean replied to me, basically jumping up from his chair. 

“We’re not going to get there any faster than we’re going, Dean,” I said firmly.

“Yes, we will. We have to!” I watched as he thought for a minute. Then I saw that he had gotten an idea. “If we need more speed then we will make some. We will start throwing the worst sailors overboard. Besides getting more speed we will also be getting rid of those useless sailors.” His dark eyes had a crazed look in them and his hair was matted on top of his head. He had dark bags under his eyes as if he hadn’t been sleeping lately and a sickening grin on his face. I realized that the corrupted part of his mind was talking.

“Take it easy. You need rest, Dean. “ He looked like he was about to yell again but then he slowly sat down and rubbed his eyes, the crazed look fading out of them.

“You’re right. Thank you, Rex. If you could please just watch over everything for an hour or two.” Dean replied. I sighed internally, glad that he was listening to me.

I nodded my head and turned around walking out of the cabin and prepared to get this lousy crew into line.





“Land! I see land!” I heard one of the sailors yell. It had been three days and since then Dean had only gotten worse. Pacing inside his cabin and yelling at the crew more than ever. 

I watched as Dean opened his cabin door and ran over to me. 

“Rex, did you hear? It's Dieden island!”


<><><><><><><><><><>


“Get the boats ready!” I yelled out.

“But Captain we’re not nearly close enough to land and if we try to go now, then-” Milton started.

“Do as I say!” I spat out. 

What does Milton know? He has never been anywhere. He doesn’t deserve to be here!

What are you saying? You know Milton. He deserves nothing less than-

Then the plank! I argued with myself. I knew it wasn’t fair to Milton but I couldn’t help it. I knew in the back of my mind that the dragon tile was driving me insane but I ignored it and just let the thought of possessing the dragon tile wash over me.

I suddenly noticed that Rex was staring at me oddly as Milton ran off to get the boats ready.

“We’re so close Rex! And then I’ll have it. The sea is what gives people the ability to explore and go places. With this power, I can decide who succeeds and who doesn’t. Having control of the sea means I have control over people.” As I spoke I got more and more excited. I looked over at Rex and instead of seeing the excitement I had anticipated, I saw his face was lined with worry. I didn’t know why but it was very unnerving. I turned away towards the boats which were ready to be launched and started towards them.

“Dean, I don’t think it's a good idea to get in the rowboats so far out. The waves are too big.” I heard Rex say behind me but ignored it and just continued walking forward.  

“Milton, Kody, Tripp! Come with me.” I called out to the three youths and got into the boat. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned.

“If you have to go let me come too,” Rex said and I saw the determination in his eyes. 

“Of course,” I said. “Brock you’re in charge until we get back,” I yelled back at one of the older sailers as the four of us were lowered into the water.

This isn’t safe. We should wait until we’re closer to the reef.

No, this way we’ll get there faster. There is no wind right now and without the wind, we’re sitting ducks.

Yes but I’m endangering my crew and-

Shut Up! Just get moving now!

Get out of my head!

I knew it was the dragon tile arguing with me and I set my hands against my head trying to stop the major headache that was forming.

“Are you okay Captain?” Milton said, staring at me with concern. 

“I’m fine,” I said and immediately lifted my head and looked away from them, but I knew that they were all looking at me, completely unconvinced. 

As we started on our way away from the boat I felt the waves sliding dangerously beneath us. Threatening to throw us all off. I hung on tightly to the boat, making sure not to show my fear as the boat tossed us around. Rex and Kody fought for control of the boat trying to out strengthen the waves. We were making slow progress and I felt the dragon tile urging me to get there faster. I battled with control over my mind and was surprised to find that resisting was physically painful. I grabbed my head and pulled on the roots of my hair, groaning and trying to get the voice out of my head. Everything around me the waves, the wind, and the rain seemed to pick up speed and grow as me and the dragon tile fought. I felt as if my head was being torn in two and I heard myself groaning.

“Captain...Captain...CAPTAIN!” I heard someone calling, starting quiet and then getting louder and louder. I opened my eyes, I didn’t even remember closing them, and saw Milton shaking me.

“What's wrong?!” He shouted over the deafening sound of the storm that seemed to sprout up out of nowhere. I looked around and saw Kody and Rex grimacing as they tried to control the boat. I saw Tripp holding on as tight as he could to the small boat and I saw Milton in front of me. 

“It's in my head, Milton! I can’t get it out. Make it stop!” I yelled out, keeping a hold on my reeling head.

“It's okay Captain, but I need you to hold on to the boat.” I noticed for the first time that Milton was holding on to me with one hand and the boat with the other. He was the only thing stopping me from being hurled out of the boat. I could see that he was struggling and I made a grab for the side of the boat but immediately the dragon tile started calling me again and I put my hand back up against my head. I felt as if I were about to faint.  

“Please Captain! I need you to…..I need you to hold on. Now!” Milton yelled out. I weakly grabbed onto the boat and felt Miltons grip on me sag. No sooner than it did I felt a huge wave grab onto us and hurl us into the ocean. I heard someone yell and felt everyone moving around but I stayed where I was, holding on desperately to the boat. 

What seemed like hours later I felt the small boat slide to a stop. I lifted my head, which had been stuck between my knees most of the time, and blinked rapidly trying to get the sunlight out of my eyes. When I finally succeeded I saw the small island of Dieden.

I half jumped out, half wobbled out trying to find my balance after that horrific ride.

“Finally! We’re here. It's so close!” I said and turned around with a grin on my face. Rex, Kody, and Tripp were just now getting out of the boat sullenly. 

“Where’s Milton?” I asked, my grin fading. 

“He went overboard, Sir. A huge wave came and simply dragged him out of the boat. After that, we didn’t see him again.” Tripp replied to me after a long silence.

I felt anguish setting in my heart.

What did I do? The only reason he went overboard was because he had to hold on to me and himself.

Don’t be ridiculous! He was the one responsible. Milton wasn’t of any use to us anyways.

What is wrong with you! Why won’t you leave me alone! Milton was a friend and a part of our crew.

No, he was an idiot and useless. Your goal was not to babysit Milton. Your goal is to find the dragon tile and it is very near.

I felt a burning sensation in the pit of my stomach and closed my eyes, feeling the dragon tile. It was so close. 

“Grab the shovels and get to digging,” I yelled. No one moved, they just stared at me oddly. “Well get on with it!” I almost screamed as I felt it urging me on. They slowly started for the shovels.

“Come on! Move! We don’t have all day.” 

“Dean, what are you doing? We just lost Milton. Let go of the dragon tile for just a minute and let them-”

“Milton? Milton was useless! But this dragon tile isn’t so get it for me!” I screamed at Rex. I saw anger flare up in his eyes. After a moment he walked over to where Tripp and Kody were.

Only a few more minutes and then we will be together and nothing will be able to get in our way. This time I couldn’t tell who had spoken.







“Where is it? Why haven’t we found it!?” I screamed at no one in particular. “We’ve been searching for four hours and haven’t found so much as a rock!” 

“Dean maybe if you let us take a small break we could-”

“I know I buried it right in front of the closest tree to the shore but now they all look the same distance,” I continued, “That has to be the tree! That looks like the one I buried it in front of.”

“Just let us have a break. I’m sure the boys on the ship are wondering-” Rex tried again but I had already started walking off towards my chosen tree.

I heard them grumble and pick up their shovels. 

This is the lousiest crew I could have gotten. I’m their captain and they should be doing what I say with no hesitation. I Ranted to myself angrily. Why did they even join this crew if they weren’t gonna put any effort into it?

I had reached the tree that I had chosen as my next target.

“Well, what are you waiting for?” I asked after a minute. “Get to digging.” They started digging with angry forced movements and I knew it was because they were tired.

But who cares? They don’t understand how powerful it is, but they expect to get a share in it. Well, they are going to be very disappointed when I get it if they think I’ll share the power. Now all I need is to find it!


<><><><><><><><><><><>


I looked around, seeing if anyone was awake. Dean had made us work till it was impossible to continue and then we had gathered as much wood as possible and made a fire. I could see Dean lying down on the sand next to the fire asleep. He had a troubled expression on his face. He needed this sleep and so did everyone else. 

I knew that getting the dragon tile wouldn’t help him but make it worse. Anyone who had it became obsessed almost immediately.

But I can’t let Dean find it if he does he will go crazy.

Yes, Rex. Don’t let Dean find it. If he does he will only get bossier. Now that we have it we can become captain and he won’t be able to touch us.

My lips curled in a smile at the thought as I traced the dragon-shaped pattern on the tile in my pocket.


March 01, 2021 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.