0 comments

Funny Romance Friendship

I always wear a cardigan, no matter the outfit. When I wear a dress, I would wear a cardigan, even on a shirt, I still would wear a cardigan- I know, I'm weird like that. I just really love cardigans. That smooth furry feel and the warmth it gives are just so pleasurable.

I love my job. I work as a curator in an art gallery. Every day my eyes are fed with beautiful artworks by many great artists. But that's not really why I love it - don't get me wrong, I love the art in itself, so that's part of it. But I love it because it's fun. 

Sometimes I feel like a kid who is rewarded for just having fun - you know how people find children cute when they play and just feel like gifting them ice cream and candy, that's how it feels like to me. I'm just having fun and I get paid for it. 

Unlike medicine where you have to have sleepless nights trying to find the right prognosis for an ailment, or like engineering where you have to come up with top-notch technology through a series of coding and calculations, or like law where you have to read several books and go through several documents just to prepare for a case. 

All I have to do is put up a beautiful art exhibition for people to see, and find talented artists. Oh!, and I get to dress comfortably since it's a relatively informal work environment with not too many employees. I can wear my cardigans peacefully.

***

The alarm rings. I try to ignore it -using my pillow to cover my ears- and continue sleeping but the sound penetrates and it just keeps ringing. I finally give in and get out of bed. I hate Mondays!.

After a good weekend spending time in my pajamas ordering food online, binge-watching shows on Netflix in the comfort of my bed, and feeling extremely lazy, I didn't like it when Mondays ruined it all. Yes, work is fun but it's still work.  

I walk sleepy-eyed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and take my bath. I open my Monday motivation playlist on Spotify and as usual, I sing along in the shower, trying to get the weekend vibe off me. 

Today, I dress in a pair of faded blue palazzo Jean, a fitted pink top, and a Biro blue cardigan. I have my hair in a bun, my choice of shoes is a black penciled fat 3 inches heeled shoe. I carry a black bag to finish the look. I take one last look in the mirror before I leave my room and I'm satisfied with what I see.

" Good morning Stephanie," Lia says as I enter the office in her usual sing-song voice. Always cheerful as usual. Lia is a vivacious lady who sees the world through the eyes of a three-year-old, full of peaches and roses. She is also a hopeless romantic who thinks real-life Romeo and Juliet exist - can you believe that!. 

" Good morning Lia. " I respond in a high-pitched tone, trying to match her enthusiasm. 

" You look beautiful… she gestured with her hands scaling me from head to toe… as always. "

" Thanks, Lia, you look beautiful too. "

" Good morning ladies, "  a deep masculine voice says from the door. It is David. David cannot look anyone in the eyes for more than 5 seconds. He is always calm and composed and, he has to be the sweetest human on earth. You could look like an orangutan and David would give you compliments and make you believe you were belle - though all while looking at your feet.

" Hello, David. " Lia says, shooting hearts from her eyes. Too bad everyone else can see it except the person it is meant for. 

" I like your cardigan. " he isn't looking at me, but I can tell he is referring to me because I am the only one wearing a cardigan here. 

" Thanks. " 

The door opens and the gallery's art director walks in, looking elegant as always. She always wears luxurious clothes like Saint Laurent, Chanel, Bulgari, Givenchy, and the likes. I know she makes quite a lot of money as the director of the gallery but I don't think it's enough money for her to be able to afford all these high-end brands. 

" How was our weekend? "

" Fine. Except I honestly really wish that the hours for nighttime were longer. There just never seems to be enough time to sleep!. " I rambled

" That was pretty random. Where did that come from? " Lia says, confusion written all over her face. I look around and see the same confusion on David and Sylvia's faces.

" I guess, it's been bothering me and I just needed to vent. "

" Well. We have a big project to plan. As you all know, we are going to be celebrating 2 years since we opened this gallery and for this project, our funds would be used to support women that have been abused. So I need everyone to work 10 times as hard- she turns around after almost making it to the door-also, we are going to be exhibiting only artworks from female artists for this project. So you all know what needs to be done. Best of luck ", she says walking away and swaying her hips in an amateurish way ".

The day ends. I'm satisfied with what we were able to accomplish. 

" Well done today guys. "

" Well if you are grateful, how about you treat us? You haven't had that housewarming party yet, you know," Lia says, singing the last two words and wiggling her brows continuously in a cheerful manner. 

" Speak for yourself. I'm satisfied with her gratitude, and she can have the house warming whenever it pleases her "

" He doesn't mean that, trust me, Stephanie. " I laugh. Working with both of them is everything. They made working fun. 

" Fine, I'll treat us today "

Lia eyes David mischievously and says " David is fine, just you and me. He… " 

" I don't reject a kind gesture, it's not very courteous," he says, cutting her off. 

" not very courteous indeed. " 

***

I open the door to my apartment and bring out two pairs of slippers for my guests to wear - I don't like it when people wear their shoes in my home. 

" Well, welcome to my humble abode". Lia stares intently as if trying to look for something she can take for herself. Walking around the house like she owns the place. I guess I should be glad I don't have anything worth stealing. I live a minimalist life. The only thing in abundance would be my cardigans, thankfully Lia isn't a fan. 

" your place is nice," David says.

" it's alright," Lia says, unimpressed from the kitchen. 

" I hope you are both fine with pizza and ice cream? "

Peeking her head from the room Lia says " make mine pepperoni pizza  and I'd appreciate cola instead of ice cream, thanks"

" David? "

" Yeah. "

"Which do you prefer? "

" I'm not selective of food and I don't have any pizza preference, so any is okay with me " he is staring at everything but me. Sometimes I'm baffled that a guy can be so shy. Is he like this around his friends or is he like this only in the presence of girls?.

I go inside my room and change into a comfortable pair of black sweat pants and a Gray cardigan. 

" let's play a game while we wait, " Lia says, sitting with legs folded on the floor. 

" What kind of game? " I ask approaching from the room. My hair now let loose from the bun. I feel… free. 

" Get to know me game."

" What kind of game is that? "

Eyebrows furrowed in thought Lia says " I guess it's not a game then, just a little talk about yourself. What you like, hate. Places you've gone or would like to go, your first love, first kiss, etc "

" Okay. David, you in? "

" I like your cardigan ", he says making brief eye contact with me. His response has Lia and me confused. There is a sudden silence. It's like he just totally took us off course without a reason. 

" Of course, he's in ", Lia says breaking the silence and bringing us back to course. 

" I have a voice of my own you know "

She sticks out her tongue " whatever, most of the time you don't though "

" I'll go first. I like cardigans as you all would have noticed. I hate cockroaches, I can't remember my first love, my first kiss was probably with him so I can't remember. I haven't visited any other country and I would love to visit South Korea- I'm a really big fan of EXO. The end. "

" Well, that was pretty lame. You suck at the art of storytelling. I almost dozed off. Also, how can you not remember your first love - here we go - love is not something you can forget so easily, it is… "

" I'm very sure the game wasn't, critique the other person's story, so… ", 

David chuckles and Lia frowns. 

" Fine. Well, I'm next. I love love, I hate people that don't value love. My first love was when I was 13, with a guy from church, Joshua was his name." she was literally in a fantasy, so much in a trance, David and I just smiled watching her demonstrate with the body movements and closed eyes while listening to her beautiful voice.  " My first kiss was a few months before then with my cousins' boyfriend. I would love to visit France, Paris to be precise "spreading her palms in the air, she says  " the city of romance. ". She opens her eyes, finally out of her la-la land. 

" How is it that everything about you has something to do with love and romance? " I ask, genuinely curious. " actually don't bother answering. Your tale was different. Thanks for the lesson ". The doorbell rings, I stand up to open and receive our order. 

" Here is your pepperoni pizza and cola ", I pass it to Lia. " since you said you don't have a specific preference, I ordered vegetable pizza and I scratched the ice cream idea. I hope you don't mind eating it with wine. I'm craving wine. "

" Wine is fine with me. Though it's a combination I've never tried "

" Trust me, you'll love it ". I bring out a bottle of wine I've been saving for when I have a drinking buddy. We eat and drink and make comments about the delicious pizza and my house. 

" Don't think I forgot, you haven't had your turn " Lia ejaculates with a mouth full of pizza. 

" I didn't think we were still playing "

" Of course, we are, right Steph? ". At this point, the wine is already making me dizzy. My visions are beginning to blur and Lia's usual high-pitched voice suddenly sounds too loud.

" Steph seems to be drunk, so I guess I don't have to play "

" Good for you. Are you scared you'll reveal a big secret? " 

" Maybe "

" It's not a truth or dare game you know "

" Maybe I want to keep what I love a secret, or who my first love is "

" You can tell a lie if you don't want it revealed. Like I said it is not truth or dare "

" Perhaps I don't like lying "

Lia scorns " good for you . Well, I might as well get some rest since our host is already getting some ". Lia lies flat on her back on the floor and falls asleep within minutes. 

Sipping his wine and watching the ladies enjoy a nap. David smiles and moves to lie Steph comfortably on the sofa. 

" What do I love?. ", he intimately adjusts some stray locks of her hair behind her ears. " I know I'm not very outspoken with my feelings, but I tried to convey it as much as I could. I knew you would not get the gist, but I hoped you would. I like your cardigan. Every day I say these words to you, but how do I tell you that that's just a figure of speech, that It's you I like. I've liked you since the first day I met you ". He covers her with a blanket and stares lovingly at her. Then proceeds to read a book about art therapy he found on her desk.

January 22, 2022 12:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.