0 comments

Drama

I stepped out of the car and took a deep slow breath. The salty air filled my lungs and invigorated me almost instantly. I closed my eyes and emptied my thoughts until the only thing in this world was my breathing and the crashing of the waves. I felt the sun slip out from behind a cloud even before its light passed through my closed eyelids. It’s warmth kissed my skin and enveloped me in a tight hug. This...this was my happy place. 

********

“Come on Rebecca!” Timothy shouted, coaxing her to come out into the water with him. She grinned, grabbed her boogie board and ran headlong into the waves as they rolled up onto the shore. Leaning on her board she kicked her way out to where he was floating. 

“Ok, now you have to do this just right. I’ll tell you when. When I do, you have to jump up on your board, just to your belly button and then kick steadily as toward the shore. Once the wave grabs a hold, stop kicking. It will carry you the rest of the way in. Okay?”

She grinned with excitement, the sun bouncing off of her blonde, wet curls. 

“Ready?” 

“Yeah!” 

“Go!”

Her squeal of delight was soon drowned out as the wave crest and carried her right to the shore. Timothy watched as she struggled to stand up. Each wave that crashed into her knocking her down again only mired even more giggles from her. She finally managed to make it to the sand and turning to look she gave a thumbs up and then did the stance seen by olympic gymnasts when they’ve stuck the dismount. Timothy laughed heartily as he caught his own wave and rode it to shore. 

**********

I pulled onto the private road. The bungalow would be just ahead. It was about a three minute walk from the beach and located perfectly to see the ocean from the huge deck that spread the length of the back of the house. The familiar palm trees came into view, flanking the wide wooden front steps. The rocking chair front porch was just as inviting as ever with its oversized front door. It was covered by a wooden screen door to keep the mosquitos out and the breezes flowing Dad would always say. 

I pulled the car up as far as I could in the drive. Getting out to get my suitcase from the trunk I felt the familiar crunch of the white pebble beneath my feet. I stooped down and picked one up, feeling the smoothness of the stone, seeing the little flecks of minerals in it that caught the sun and bounced it back at me. I smiled and slid it into my pocket before heading toward the porch. 

*******

“Wait! I think this one might be it. It sparkles more than the rest!”

“Do you really think that’s it Timmy? The special stone of the fairies?”

“It’s gotta be Becca. Do you see any others that sparkle this much?”

“Nope, I suuurrre don’t.” she shook her head emphatically, making her blonde curls bounce around, her eyes wide. 

“We need to take this one inside! If we put it on the window sill then maybe the fairies will come and get it tonight and it will help them keep their magic alive!”

“Oh no! We can’t let their magic die!”

And with that they both raced inside, almost bumping into Mom carrying snacks to the back porch. 

“You two, wash your hands and then come out to the porch and get some lemonade!” She called to the whirlwind that were her children.

“Okay Momma!” they said in unison. Their mother smiled a sentimental smile. Those two were inseparable. 

*********

I rolled my suitcase into the house, hearing the smack of the screen door behind me. The house looked the same as always. A maid had been hired to come open the house up, air it out, and clean it up a bit. I could still smell the refreshing scent of the Pinesol she had used to mop with. She did a good job. Every window sparkled, all of the drop clothes had been removed from the furniture and put away. I walked into the kitchen to get some water and discovered that she had also lightly stocked the food. Crackers and chips were in the cabinet along with a few boxes of cereal. The refrigerator had milk, butter, condiments and sandwich meat and cheese. Eggs had been removed from the carton and placed in the holder in the door. A bowl of fresh apples and oranges sat on the counter as well. It was perfect. 

I heard the crunch of the gravel outside and knew the others were here. My heart leapt as I headed for the door. I stopped when I got there, watching through the screen as my brother got out of his car, headed around to the other side and helped his wife and daughter get out. Another car pulled in beside him and a smile spread across my face. Mom and Dad. I raced out the door, bounding down the steps feeling six years old again and wrapped my parents in tight embraces. Hugs went all around as we were so happy to see each other as my brother introduced us to his wife and daughter. It had been far too long and my heart ached with happiness!

We hadn’t been able to come back to this place in almost eight years. We had not been able to hug one another, hadn’t been able to attend my brother’s wedding or the birth of his daughter in person. I had never held my niece in my arms. 

You see, there was a virus. A deadly one that swooped in and changed our world forever. At first it started slowly with people getting sick, some recovering, some not. Of the ones that did recover most were changed forever, never breathing normally again, organs failing or running at half capacity. The government demanded masks to be worn at all times. That eventually changed to a mandatory stay at home order where you were only allowed to come out for emergency things, like doctor appointments or grocery needs. That changed too once the coin shortage happened. Everyone moved to being cashless, things could only be bought with credit cards or debit cards. They thought the virus was being squashed but then it made a sudden and powerful surge, wiping out whole small towns. Everything went cashless permanently. No one was allowed to leave their homes at all. If you did you were immediately arrested and placed in solitary to prevent any possible spread of the disease. Groceries had to be ordered online and delivered by drones, that’s if you drone didn’t get shot down from the sky by looters. People took to learning how to sew again because ordering clothes was hit or miss. Sometimes you got what you ordered and sometimes it came six or seven months later, if at all. Children were taught from home virtually. Teachers had to rely more and more on parents and what they could do from home. Certain classes were canceled like some art classes like pottery. No more driver’s education classes either. It wasn’t needed anyway because no one could leave to drive. Some things just couldn’t be done properly virtually. Furniture was repurposed according to need. Neighbors risked helping neighbors under the cover of night. Some built tunnels between houses so they could share supplies and medicines when needed. They pooled their recesses together. 

And now, after all this time, the ban had finally been lifted. It was like we were walking into the sunshine again. 

Miraculously the virus had died out. A vaccine was produced and mandated by the government. The number of new cases had dwindled over the last six months. States began to slowly open things back up with the rule that you had to carry your Virus ID showing you had been vaccinated. People were still scared, but people are also people and they need one another. 

The first thing we wanted was to be together. And there was no better place in the world than the beach house. All of us together, family loving on family, hugs upon hugs upon hugs. This was a day we would never forget. A day that reminded us of our old normal.

July 22, 2020 15:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.