0 comments

Crime Thriller Fiction

Emma stared out of the window of her apartment at the park. The lights were shining bright at the entrance in the dark night. This was her favorite view and she would always find herself just standing here. A soft smile lifted her lips as she looked out at the still night.

Her eyes moved away from the park entrance and across the road. Her favorite cafe was clearly visible with its lights shining bright. However, just behind the cafe was a little alley which left a dark shadow across the sidewalk. A chill crept along her spine as she stared at the dark area.

She closed her eyes and tried to shake the feeling, but when her eyes opened once more they immediately found a dark silhouette hiding in the shadows. The silhouette was large, probably belonging to a man. At first, Emma thought he was just smoking while leaning against the wall until light glinted across something in his hands.

Her heart froze as she tried to act. She felt like she was stuck as she watched the man. Her fingers twitched as she wondered if she should call 911. This man was obviously up to no good. Before she could step away from the window though, her eyes caught sight of a second figure. This time a woman wearing a short, one-sleeved navy blue dress.

She had a large smile on her face as she moved along with some pep. Something seemed familiar about the woman, but Emma couldn’t put her finger on why. The woman slowed slightly as her eyes fell on the shadowed corner. As Emma watched, she couldn’t help the soft pleading whisper, “Please cross the street. Don't go into the dark patch. Just don't. Please.”

Of course, the woman couldn’t hear her quiet pleading and walked confidently forward after shaking her head. The second she passed the corner the man grabbed her and pulled her into the shadows. The woman’s mouth dropped open and her eyes widened as a scream pierced the air. Emma’s scream stopped as she found herself suddenly in motion as she dialed 911 and ran to the door.

“911, How can I help you?” came the steady voice on the other end.

“He just grabbed her. I think he had a knife,” came Emma’s frantic reply as she opened the door to the stairs.

“Where mam?”

“Outside Holly’s Cafe on Dove Avenue.”

“Help is on the way. Where are you now?”

“I am in my apartment building... I have to help her,” Emma responded breathlessly before hanging up to concentrate on descending the stairs. Her feet quickly carried her out of the building. Blue and red lights were already shining from just outside the cafe and Emma quickly moved to them. The officers seemed to be looking around in confusion.

“Did you stop him? Please tell me he didn’t hurt her. I should’ve acted when I first saw him. I can't believe I waited so long. I was too late wasn’t I?” Her frantic questions flooded into tears as she approached one of the officers.

His eyebrows furrowed at her questions and he asked, “Did you call it in?” Emma nodded before he continued, “Where did you see the attack?”

Emma’s wide eyes shot to his before flying to the dark corner and she pointed to the alley, “Right there. He grabbed her and pulled her into the alley. I saw something glint in his hand.”

The officer followed her finger before moving swiftly into the alley with his partner. Not much time passed before they returned and the officer looked at her and stated, “Nothing is there mam. Not even blood. Are you sure you know what you saw?”

Her head nodded vigorously and she declared, “Of course I know what I saw! I am not drunk or high. I was in my apartment looking out my window and I saw the man in the shadows and the woman walking down the sidewalk. I saw him grab her and I saw her scream.”

The officer turned to someone next to Emma and asked, “Did you see or hear anything?”

A female voice responded, “No sir. I didn’t even know anything was wrong until you pulled up with lights shining.”

Emma turned to the woman, Joan. She had served Emma many times at the cafe. “You didn’t hear her scream? It was so loud…” Though her words faded as she realized she had been the one she had heard screaming. Both the officer and the waitress looked at Emma curiously as her eyes moved to the corner in bewilderment, “I swear they were right there…”

The officer asked Emma, “Are you sure you were not just dreaming? There is nothing here.”

Emma shook her head and asked, “Are there traffic or security cameras? Could you check them? Just to make sure.” The officer nodded his head and turned to go into the cafe. Emma didn’t know how long she stood there, just watching the alley but eventually the cop came back out and approached her.

“Mam, there wasn’t anything on the camera in the alley. I don’t know what you saw, but maybe you should head back in and get some sleep?” Emma nodded at the officer’s request before returning to her apartment in a daze while the blue and red lights disappeared from the night.

The next morning Emma slid out of bed and went about her daily routine. Automatically, she went outside and over to Holly’s Cafe to get her normal breakfast. The waitress walked up to her and said, “Joan said there was a bit of excitement last night.”

Emma’s eyes widened as they flew up to meet the ones of the waitress. “Wait, that was real? I thought that was a dream.”

The woman shrugged and commented, “From what Joan said it sounded like part of it was a dream. But, never mind. Do you want your regular?” Emma simply nodded with a smile but it dropped as the woman turned and left. It had seemed so real and she just couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that, apparently, it wasn’t.

After her meal, she went to walk the normal route to work, but froze when she saw the alley. Maybe it wasn’t real, but that spot gave her the creeps and so she crossed the road. The day was normal and went as every other day had, except once more as she came home she crossed the street to pass the alley. The one day turned into a month and every single time she had found herself crossing the street, the woman’s terrified face and the glinting object seemed to always haunt her thoughts when she saw the dark alley.

Today was Friday and she was ready for the weekend after a long week of hard work. A chime from her phone brought her attention to her group chat with her two besties. A smile spread over her face as she read the chat.

ZOEY: YOOOO! Wanna party tonight? I need to burn some serious steam!

ALICE: In!

ME: Same Girl! Whose house?

ALICE: Come to mine.

ZOEY: Sounds like a plan, be there in 10.

ME: I will be there in 5.

ALICE: YAY!! So excited!

Emma had to hold herself back from running all the way to Alice’s, she didn’t live too far but she didn’t exactly want people staring at her like she was crazy. Emma wasn’t even able to knock on the door before it was flung open and she was pulled into a squealing embrace. Once they pulled out of the hug Alice exclaimed, “It has been so long!”

Emma laughed and commented, “It has only been three days, tops.”

Alice rolled her eyes and stated, “Yes, but three hard work days without my bestie is three days too long.” The two laughed before looking out the window to watch for Zoey.

“So Alice, what have you been doing these last three days without me?” Emma questioned.

“Oh you know, the norm. Work, reading horoscopes, and drawing.” She paused before perking up and adding, “Actually, something interesting did happen. I ran into a psychic stall, so I got a tarot reading.”

Emma rolled her eyes and stated, “Let me guess, same old same old? Something great is coming and you are going to find some great luck?”

Alice laughed before frowning and slowly stating, “Actually… no.”

Before she could explain, Emma saw Zoey and pointed her out with a shout. The two moved to the door to await her arrival outside of it. As soon they saw her through the peephole, the door was flung open and a squealing group hug ensued.

“You know what, I am surprised there isn’t a hole in the wall yet,” Zoey commented as they shut the door and officially entered Alice’s apartment. The three instantly went to Zoey’s closet to pick out outfits for their night out. Emma quickly picked out a short, one-sleeved navy blue dress. It was beautiful and made her feel good as well. Her blue smokey eye and dramatic wing complemented her look.

Turning to the girls, she saw that they both looked amazing with their stunning outfits and dramatic makeup. Alice had picked out a tight sleeveless white dress while Zoey went with a black top and peach flowy skirt. With a smile and a nod, they all headed out the door and to the club. The night was a blast as they let loose and danced to the too-loud music. 

Emma had a large smile on her face as she left the club. The girls wanted to stay a bit longer, but she had gotten tired and so decided to walk the two blocks back home. She couldn't help the pep in her step as she walked. It had been a great start to the weekend. They were planning on meeting up tomorrow to watch some movies and chill.

Her eyes landed on the dark spot where the alley was and hesitated. The spot gave her the creeps, but at the same time, she had been letting that dream scare her too much. So, she shook her head and strode forward, she will not fear. Emma stepped past the corner and felt arms grab her roughly pulling her to the side. Her mouth opened and she let out an ear-piercing scream.

November 14, 2020 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.