0 comments

Fiction

Snowflakes trickle by the window as they shine from the winter sun. Instrumental version of Christmas carols play from her phone as it lays next to her on the counter.

With a huff of frustration she blows her loose hair away from her face. 

She stands still as a statue as she stares deeply into the flour filled counter, millions of thoughts seep through her mind as she desperately tries to retrace the family recipe that’s been passed down through many generations.

A chime from the door, brings her back into reality as she finally leaves her trance, looking in the direction of the front door.

“How’s the baking going?...Oh, never mind.” Her younger sister quickly says as she takes a quick look around the messy kitchen.

Flour is all over the counter as tiny pieces of egg shells sit on the floor. Her apron is covered in what looks to be fruit juice and mostly tears.

“I can’t remember…I keep trying to go over the recipe in my head, but for the life of me, I keep forgetting the what the key ingredient is, that makes it so spectacular.” She says, mostly to herself as she takes a good look at the mess she has made.

“This is why I don’t understood the reasoning behind not writing done the recipe.” The younger sister casually replies as she walks towards the weird looking dessert on the counter.

“ You can’t steal what you don’t know,” Linda, the oldest sibling of five says in a mocking tone, as she has heard that speech multiple times when she was only a child. 

Usually, she makes the dessert with her father ever December, but unfortunately he had passed away this past summer, leaving the task to herself to complete.

Not having the main ingredient will certainly not only ruin the dessert, but also mock her family’s memory. This dessert is well known in the community, as they have the best recipe for it.

They have won many awards with this particular dessert, not following completely would be humiliating, but always be seen as disrespectful to the generations before them.

“How about, we try the loaf that’s cooling on the counter and see what’s missing based off taste and texture?” Vera, the middle child of five suggests, as she already walks towards it licking her lips.

“Fine, but only because it has to be perfect and the rest of the family is coming in next week, so we don’t have too much time.” Linda says to her sister as she watches her slice the cranberry loaf.

Snow flakes dance by the large picture window as the music soars their ears. Both of their eyes pinch close as they taste the sour dessert.

Vera dramatically, spits her slice of cranberry loaf onto the hard oak floors. 

“Too sour. What did you put in this?” She follows up by making a disgusted look onto her face.

“It’s a lot harder to go by memory, than you think…At least I’m trying to make it.” Linda says with a tone that clearly shouts that she annoyed and frustrated.

“You mean, that you’re the only one who could make it…Dad, never allowed any of us to learn the recipe except for you. His oldest.” Vera rudely says as it’s clear that she’s upset about the family rule.

“It’s not my fault that the recipe only gets passed from the oldest in the family.” She protested.

“Yah, that also means that you have the responsibility to actually memorize the recipe. You’ve been baking it with dad ever since you were a child. How do you not remember?” She says as she purposely dumps the dish into the trash.

“Look Vera. I could desperately use your help with remembering the recipe, clearly I’m missing more than just the key ingredient.” 

“Fine…But only because I want to see everyone’s face once they realize that I helped make it.”

“Do you realize that you sound less like a twenty five year old and more like a kindergartener right?”

“Whatever, you need me.”

Snow continues to fall as the sun begins to slowly disappear, bringing the moon into sight. The music slowly plays Christmas songs through instrumental chorus as the two siblings fight in the kitchen for the remainder of the afternoon and part evening.

Two burnt loafs and one supper sour, all sit in the trash as they cannot seem to remember the baking instructions or the correct ingredients, nevertheless the key ingredient.

Lights flicker into the dimly lit living room as the two sisters have given up for the day. They each sit in comfy leather chairs, looking over the other’s shoulder as they each hold an old photo album in hand.

Sometimes the best thing to do when stressed out with what seems to be an impossible task, is to just put it away and simply relax until the next day.

“Hey Linda, get a good glimpse of great grandpa making the cranberry loaf!” She calls while laughing at the silly face the man had made.

“Wow, he was so young back then.” Linda stats as she takes a good gander at the photo.

“Well, this was taken like thirty years ago, maybe more.” She replies as she looks closer at the picture.

“What are you doing?” She says with a laugh.

“Look at the counter far in the back of the photo.” She says with happiness as the lights from the flickering candles catch her eyes.

“What?”

“Just look!” She shouts with enthusiasm as she practically jumps out of her chair.

“No way…some of the ingredients are on the counter.”

“And dad acted as if this recipe was some secret, meanwhile there are evidence of a few of the ingredients…who would have thought that.

“Baking sofa…I cannot believe that I forgot the baking soda. And now that I think of it, I also didn’t add the walnuts.”

“See, you did need my help after all.” Vera beams as she follows her sister into the kitchen.

“Vera…I remember the key ingredient. Once I saw a few of the ingredients in the photo, the rest just clicked.”

“So, what is it?”

“Orange zest…we are going to nail this dessert.” She says with glee floating through her voice as she preheats the oven.

“I guess all you needed was a simple reminder.”

Laughs fill the kitchen as snow blows from outside of the dimly lit kitchen and music filled house. Memories will always stick in your mind, sometimes all you need is a simple reminder.

December 11, 2020 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.