WHEEL OF FORTUNE

Written in response to: Write a story about a voyage on a boat.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

(This story is set in GAIA2 earth’s twin 800 years younger and evolving.)

Coz was a tall young man with rugged features who was a native of Rubi Isle. He was wealthy due to inheritance from his father and had remained a bachelor. He would often go to the Port Tavern to meet people. That evening when he entered he saw there was only one customer with a drink in front of him. He saw the man’s big moustache and the various tattoos on his arms and guessed he was a sailor. Coz got his drink and went and sat in front of the sailor.

He said “I’m Coz living here in RI. I’m mainly an agriculturist.”

“I’m Maco a sailor man from the island of Juba. Have you heard of Juba?”

“Yes. It is famous for its volcano. They say people are still wary of living on Juba partly because of the volcano and partly because of the political unrest there.”

“The volcano erupted about 50 years ago and since then there have been only minor eruptions. Crops are now growing well. Even the doodoos have returned. The unrest has been quelled and the king is now in control. Nobody need fear Juba any more.”

“Actually I want to see doodoos. It seems they’re only to be found there.”

“Yes. It’s a fantastic  multi- coloured bird. It can’t be hunted. Some people visit Juba only to see the doodoos.”

“I know people go to Juba in search of finding valuables under the volcanic ash which has enveloped a large area and caused the death of thousands.”

Maco asked “Do you want to go to Juba?”

“May be one day I will.’

“Tell me if you want to go there. My boat will be available and a round trip will be with a big concession. Besides if you agree to extra passengers travelling I’ll charge you even less. I can be contacted through the owner of this tavern.”

A month later Coz contacted Maco and the fare was agreed to. He said “I’ve 2 passengers wanting to go to Juba.”

Coz said “Take them on.”

Maco and his crew with Coz and two women passengers set off one sunny morning. Coz saw the passengers were a mother and her young daughter who was good looking. They travelled along the coast and reached Crizal without incident. They stopped there for a day and then travelled on to Kilwa. Now there was a delay as it was raining and a storm was expected. Coz saw the women were well behaved and were nice to move with. He was particularly impressed by the young woman whose name was Rukma. And she also appeared interested in him.

Reaching Juba late in the morning, the women went their way as they had visited before, but Coz was confined to a detention centre where checks were made. Juba seemed an empty place as people were few.

They got permission to go round Juba, and Coz and Maco moved into an inn. Next day in the morning, Coz and Maco set off towards the mountain. On the way Coz was charmed by seeing the beautiful doodoos which were around everywhere with chicks. He listened to them cooing. Reaching a point where there was a stone pillar, Coz stopped. He said “How is it there are no signs of people here?”

Maco said “The population is itself now less and people are scared of the lava. They come out only when there is some work.”

Coz went to farmland nearby and saw a well. He said “Maco, this well is so close to the mountain. Surely lava must’ve fallen here.”

“They have cleaned up all places.”

“Still you never know what lies underneath. Do one thing for me. Please go down and look.”

“I think it would be useless. Anyway you’ve almost a package deal with me. I’ll go down and investigate.”

The well was being used for irrigation and Maco used the ropes. Soon he said “I’ve found a statue of what seems like a doodoo bird. Not very big.”

“Please bring it up.”

Maco came up and drew up the statue by ropes.

Maco asked “How did you know there was a doodoo statue here?”

Coz said “I didn’t know. I only wanted the well to be tested as it could have been omitted. I was right.”

Casually Coz said “This is a simple statue of the bird. We can drop it into the well.”

Maco said “Let us keep it. It looks nice.”

At this time somebody came and said “I’m a port officer. What did you find in the well?”

Coz said “Only the statue of a doodoo.”

The man plucked it from Maco.

Coz said “This isn’t your property. It belongs to us who picked it up.”

The man said “Maco you’re our man. Explain to this fellow that everything here belongs to us.”

 The man asked “Maco did this man find anything else?”

Maco said “No.”

Coz said “I still.....”

Maco gave Coz a blow on the head with his fist and said “Shut up.”

The port officer said “You’ve been trying to smuggle out a statue that doesn’t belong to you. I’m taking you to the jail for it.”

Maco said “Since this man is going to prison I’ll leave tomorrow.”

After Maco exited the port officer said “Coz, for trying to steal the doodoo statue you’ll get 5 years in prison but if you pay me freedom money I’ll let you go. And you can take the statue with you.”

Coz said “I’ve no money now. And if Maco goes how will I get back to RI? And what about the round trip fare for which I’ve paid? I’ll lose it.”

“You are not going anywhere. You’ll be in prison. It can’t be helped if you lose money.”

Coz sat thinking of how to get over the problem. Maco had defrauded him by sailing away. And everything in Juba seemed corrupt.

The port officer said “I’ll give you one more chance. Go back to the inn and think it over. If I let you go will you pay me in RI? I’ll come to collect. If you fail to do it I’ll arrange to kill you. You can take that sculpture with you.”

Going back to the inn, Coz met Rukma and her mother near the fish market. He told them about the problems he was facing.

Rukma’s mum said “My brother Jab is a contractor here. He builds houses, repairs roads and so on. He is very influential. Come with us. I’ll ask him to help you.”

They asked him to climb on to the horse cart they were travelling in and were soon at Jab’s place. After hearing Coz, Jab said laughing “This island is full of corrupt people. Promise to pay the fellow who asked for money in RI but give him half that amount. He’ll be satisfied. Not much can be done. We learn to adapt to people.”

Jab invited Coz to join them for dinner. As they dined Coz asked how he could get back.

Jab said “That’s no problem. I run a boat daily to Kilwa which is a very busy port. From there you can easily find a boat to take you to RI.”

“But right now I’m short of money for the fare.”

“My boat man will talk to the persons concerned and make them accept payment after you reach.”

Coz thanked Jab for all his help and asked when Rukma and her mother would return to RI. Jab laughed and said “Not sure but perhaps in a fortnight.”

The next day Coz made all settlements and arrangements and sailed to Kilwa. From there he duly reached RI.

A fortnight later Rukma and her mother visited Coz. Speaking to them he explained why he had sailed to Juba. He said “My late father had worked in Juba and had a jeweller friend. That friend gave him some gems for safe keeping as there were attempts on his life. That friend died. There was civil unrest in Juba and dad for safety had secreted the gems in the doodoo sculpture he had. Before he fled overnight he had tossed the statue into a well about which he told me. I retrieved it.” He unplugged an opening in the sculpture and drew out a variety of gems packed in cotton. “All these are now mine.”

He said “Madam, I’m greatly impressed with your daughter. I seek your consent to wed her.”

The mother said “Rukma is also longing for you. I consent.”

Coz said within himself “The boat voyage not only brought me more wealth. It has also got me a beautiful wife. I’m indeed lucky.”

END

August 22, 2021 14:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.