one of the many minds of the CHR

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

He was approached by a massive grizzly bear, with a removable jar for a head. He could vaguely see a brain within it, encapsulated with a green translucent liquid, which kept the brain, buoyant in the center of the jar; almost like magic. Less visible was the seemingly chaotic connective miscellanea that attached its eyes and ears to brain. Which were protected and amplified. The jar itself could rotate 360 degrees, making it very hard to sneak up on it.

There had been a mistake, his target was not, this monstrosity that stood before him. He had prepared for an augmented dog but this was no augmented dog; in retrospect he should have thought more outside of the box for this mission. The Collective of Hyper Intelligence, was a collection of the greatest minds after all, could say the craziest minds as well. Who wants to live as a brain for almost an unlimited amount of time. He heard they could still feel their bodies. This drove some mad, and others developed what was called Body Collection Syndrome.

He aimed at the jar and fired a single shot. As expected there was no effect. They called it translucent concrete. One of their many inventions. It was uncertain if they discovered it or did they acquire it through some other means. Not only were his guns ineffective, but after he landed they raised an anti-displacement field covering the area. Yet the pumped up grizzly took no advantage over the situation. In fact all that it did was slowly turn its jar head around, and around as if it was keeping track of something.

A few monkeys, with attachment collars, started to poke their heads, out of the wood work. So this was what was keeping its intention. There was obviously more he could not see. Including the Mega Mind which would orchestrate the mismatched monkey heads, into already programmed sequences, of various sorts. It was easy to see that the monkeys main goal were to coral him towards whatever direction they need to get him to. As the giant jar head dealt with more pressing problems.

He realized its monstrosity of a body was not meant for him but for someone or something else entirely. Which means he does not have to worry about jar head and focus on finding the monkey mega mind. Which was not going to be easy. But he was now well equipped to take on his enemy after all, monkeys are a little less meaty then an augmented dog.

It was obvious that he was sold out but there was a bigger picture. Why would the C.H.R. want him. He had already tackled a one of their displacers so it makes little sense that it would be for his abilities. Abilities. His thoughts drifted, how were his abilities being suppressed? Was it mobile or central? Well it made the most sense that it would be one of the monkeys as if it were central or with the behemoth, it could not move freely, to do its other tasks. Yet there could also be another element to the situation.

The monkeys jumped place to place in a continues circle around him as he moved forward. He also kept tabs on any of the birds that seemed to follow the moneys and him as they fumble through the jungle. He decided that he would make it as difficult as possible to coral him. Which should affect the monkeys pied piper in string together any kind of effective rhythm of control. Thus over working its circuits? Brain? He really did not know. Nor did he even know if his plan was going to work. But it was a plan.

As he wandered around aimlessly constantly fighting against the monkeys guidance. It was not working, well not effectively anyway, when he got too far they got violent. There was the end of a cliff with a waterfall coming up. If he jumped off of that then he would for sure be out of the monkeys range and then could use his dimensional abilities; if he was fast enough to use them before he hits the water, which could also be a solution, but the rocks, at the halfway point of the falls, could cause an injury.

He ran as fast as he could and jumped off the cliff. The monkeys, their minds a little fried, could not understand his disregard for his own life. The only one that was not slowed down was the mega mind, and for its prowess? Two shots to the chest. He could hear almost all the monkeys dropping like shaggy rocks. Each with an unique thud depending on its body proportions and discrepancies of form.

Before he hit the waterfall he displaced back to the top of the cliff. He could now use his powers freely. He was unsure if he was going to have to deal with that monstrosity again. As he walked past the array of dead monkeys he wondered if he should displace to a safe location. Which could be tricky to figure out if he had indeed been set up from the get go. This was obviously a kidnap of sorts; but why?

He decides to leave. Whatever has got jar heads attention, can not last forever. This was his best choice of action. He abandoned his vehicle as well. Which was no biggy he would rather be penniless than an undead operative. Its a valued option many take but they tend to have problems with the living who they mockingly mimic. He and the dead had a history. Mainly they never stay dead. Which is why he ended up displacing back to the battle ground and set the monkey bodies on fire. Better safe then sorry.

Having some friends in notorious places was always a great boon but all so the curse. The code is dying even to the veterinarians of this world. He lost some powerful allies with the monkey business; burning down the forest veterans to make sure the monkeys did not come back. But when one ally hops to the other side of the pond his enemies hop to your side of the pond.

July 24, 2020 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.