0 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

  • 4:15pm   -

The town is in sight, yet I fear I won’t reach it. Dragging myself along this path, I have survived but my life will soon vanish it seems? In the end, I have failed.

***

  • 4 hours earlier (12:15pm)   -

“Remember that most tech doesn’t work here.”

“...”

“GPS and that stuff is a luxury, alright. Take this map.”

“...”

“Now this is the path you need to take, you’ll need to look out for the sign. No one's been there for a long time cause… just be extra careful. Even you won’t last if you take that “shortcut”.”

“I understand.”

“Good, just look for the sign “Turn right hazard ahead”, continue left.”

“... Shouldn’t I go right?”

“It’s a trick, we can’t be too sure about people these days.”

They wave me off as I head for the hill. In this desolate place seeing greenery was a true luxury. One can only wonder how it is that they do not grow weary living in this place. Still what do I know? It hasn't been long since I woke up.

As I come to the top of the hill I see my true test ahead. This hill was but the entrance to the mountain. I stood there a minute and gaze at it, you could see what looked like plant life but it wasn’t green. Taking one last look back, I can still see the people there waving me on.

Crossing the threshold I enter the mountain. Compared to the hill it was a rougher path but nothing I couldn’t handle. As I continue upward I reach some of the vegetation I had seen. These plants… I wasn’t sure. They looked like or similar to what I thought plants should be. Touching them only led to them crumbling, it was sad they were more sticks than anything else.

Anyway they were of no concern to me. Going further up I reach the point of transition, the tunnel I had to cross. From this point on I would on my own; any hope of communication would now be lost. Without hesitation I stepped into the tunnel.

The light from the outside did little in the way of giving me sight, after a few steps I turned on my torch. I had been told this place was used for mining once upon a time. This path I was on was stable, well it’s not like there was another path I could take. It seems they were right as I started finding tools used for digging.

It was fascinating to see. Humans actually worked in a place such as this. On the walls were writings and pictures. Must’ve been done to maintain their sanity in such a bleak place. This was only the entrance to the mountain. There, it is the exit to this place.

It is clear from how wethered the frame was that either it had been there a while or the environment was bad. Cautiously I quit. Judging from the air tester I had, the atmosphere was fine, which means something may have damaged the frame.

This new path took me downward but I had been told this was an illusion that often took many lives. As I walked the air seemed thinner but I was headed down… wasn't I?

Checking the air once more… it was getting thinner and I realized my joints felt a bit strained. It was as if I was going uphill and not down. Those humans did say this would happen, still it's not… nevermind.

To get my bearings I closed my eyes and felt around to get a better understanding of my surroundings. I was going up a slope and not down like my eyes were seeing. I guess I should trust humans more.

Reopening my eyes I see the path for what it is. An uphill rocky slope. As I continued on the path got narrower and narrower. Soon it was as if I was on edge, just as I rounded the corner I saw a clearing where I could finally be on solid ground again.

This new path was level but went left. As time passes I begin to admire the little vegetation here on this rock.

As this path gets narrower now I reach the aforementioned sign. I had no desire to go down a ledge-like path once more. Even better the right went down, since it's a shortcut there shouldn't be any trouble and all readings were fine.

***

  • 3:50pm   -

Hahahahahaha! It sure is funny this path was filled with thorns. I can hear my body creak as I make my way forward, I wonder when it started. Arrogance can be fatal can’t it.

Only now I realize the air here isn’t normal and this path is starting to get narrower. My steps are shaking as my legs feel like they’ll come off any minute now. Going back sounds nice but I realize I passed that option over an hour ago. Now only forward I can go.

Since when did I value my life I wonder. Must be something humans did. Life is it, is what I have even akin to life? No matter, I just need to make it past this mountain.

My body starts to fail, no longer is it just the creaking but my vitals are dropping. Draggin my legs I reach a point where I can see the next town. All I have to do now is go down.

***

  • 8:22am  -

It seems I lost consciousness. Slowly my eyes adjust to the light… wait, that’s not correct. My body feels weird as well. Somehow it seems I’m on my back but I’m sure I was going forward last I checked.

Did a door just open? Damn it I can’t tell what’s going on, nothing is responding. Must have corroded, that’s what I get for helping humans. Footsteps and they’re getting closer.

“Would you look at that, it seems you’ve regained consciousness.”

Why can’t I speak?

“Are you trying to say something?”

Yes, I am you old fool.

“No need to get worked up.”

What do you know human?

“Your body wasn’t any good so I had to place you in a new body.”

What the hell did this human just say? When I’m able to move, just know I’ll deal with you, that I promise. Damn it, no wonder I can’t move this body.

“Hmm, you seem angry. You must miss your previous body, I can understand.

“...”

“It's sad but I don’t have the firmware for that body, but since you’ve opened your eyes I believe you should be able to operate it.”

Does the human even understand what he’s saying?

“You might think it weird but that body is an advanced version of your previous body.”

“...”

“You opening the eyes and even having expressions I can recognize, shows that your previous code does work to some extent.”

I have to admit… he has a point.

“Now you should relax, you are our hope.”

Hope?

“The fact that you came over the mountain must mean the others are still alive.”

This old man is smiling as if he has found salvation or something. I tell you, humans are just fools to their emotions.

It means nothing to me anyway. I can’t move, I guess I’ll just sleep, it’s better than listening to this old man ramble on. Good night.

January 20, 2023 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.