Entering the door

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Science Fiction

In the year 2222, Earth was invaded by an unknown enemy of alien origin. The military was brought down in less than hour. Before anyone had time to grasp what was happening, the slaughter begun. Countless of UFOs appeared in every city destroying everything and anything that moved with plasma canons. Nearly a third of the world’s population was eliminated. There was no way of fighting back until 10 years later, when I stumbled on something I shouldn’t have.

It was spring. The forests were as green but not teeming with wildlife. In all my 19 years, I only so a deer twice. Most of the animals were instinct, a wildlife conservationist’s nightmare made real. 

It was a Thursday I think, when I was foraging for food, mostly nuts, fruits and vegetables. I was alone. 

I had been alone ever since I was five. I never knew my father but my teenage mum was all I had. She taught basic survival skills and how to read and write. She died along with so many others protecting me. 

As my mind was flooded with nostalgia, I caught sight of something I had never seen before except in books and holographic libraries. 

It looked like a dog but with unusually long legs. Its ears were long, eyes grey and its coat was charcoal black. It looked relatively young.   

“A wolf…” I whispered.

It noticed my presence. I was roughly 12 paces away, just north from its direction. 

It wasn’t long before it met my gaze. I held my breath, and stood my ground. What will it decide to do?

For a long time we stared. I had carried my riffle just in case of an emergency. I had four bullets but I did want to waste them on a creature that is probably close to extinction. 

Suddenly, it turned around and started off in the opposite direction, then stopped in its tracks and looked back at me.

“Do want me to follow you?” I asked not expecting an answer.

In its response, it continued in its tracks looking back from time to time.

I took the hint and decided to follow, wondering why and where this animal was leading me. 

There was no path but it was a portion of the forest I had never seen before. There was no end of plant life, fir trees as high as the eyes can see, flowers that had disappeared centuries ago, and knee high grass that was green as they should be. The sun was at its peak and there was a gentle but silent breeze blowing.

The forest ended at the foot of a relatively small mountain. The wolf had stopped and glanced at me then back at the mountain. 

“What? You want me to climb that?” I asked.

It stared at me for a while then started ascending the mountain. It wasn’t steep but it was jagged with rocks. I swallowed hard as I made my decision.

“Alright… I’ll climb up. I hope I won’t regret this”, I said out loud.

The wolf hadn’t gone very far so I caught up quickly. What worried me most was how exposed I was. I was an easy target for alien patrol ships.

Like bees to honey a patrol ship came by out of nowhere. I dived for some nearby rocks and hid. Surprisingly, my adventure guide (the wolf) had done the same, a bit further up. 

I conveniently remembered my camo app on my Azmacien digital watch. I quickly activated it and a holographic net materialised and covered me blending me with my hiding spot.

I held my breath, as the ship came really close. Its plasma engines were as loud as empty trash cans at a yearly fest. I was scared because it was just right above me. It scanned the area for life but the alarm did not go off. Why?  

Carefully, the wolf that was leading me, emerge from its hiding spot. It surprised me how it was possible for such a creature to behave in such a manner. Then again when the invasion happened many lives were lost.

We continued our climb, a little more cautious than before. The wolf looked behind often. At first I thought, I was its main concern but then I quickly realised it checking for danger as well.

By the late afternoon, the blue sky turned a reddish hue. The wind had picked up steadily. When a I looked down at the foot of the mountain, it looked so near and yet we were quite high up.

I looked at my guide and asked “Do you exactly where we are going?”

It stopped in its track and looked at me blankly. 

I wondered if I should start regretting my decision now or maybe later.

Just as the sun was setting, I saw it. It was cave opening large enough for a regular person to walk into. 

“Is this where you want me to go?” I asked.

This time it ignored me and just went inside.

‘This is crazy’ I thought to myself. ‘But I’ve come this far.’

I gathered up my courage, held my rifle at ready and slowly walked into the unknown.

Inside a tunnel. Its walls were rough and cold. A few feet a head was the strangest thing that I had ever laid my eyes on.

A closed door, standing out of place, in the middle of emptiness was pulsating an energy I couldn’t describe. There was light emitting from the bottom. The wolf that had led me was scratching the door. I think it…wanted me to open the door.

I stepped closer, hoping it wasn’t a trap, scared and excited all at once.

I turned the door knob for what felt like an eternity.

The next thing I knew, bright light swallowed. I closed my eyes not knowing what will happened next.

When I opened my eyes, I was no longer in the cave. I was in a room, the messiest room I’d ever seen. Papers were scattered all over the floor and mountains of books were piled as high as the eye could see. The ceiling was a dark emerald green dotted with bright twinkling lights.

‘Was that….the sky?’

Suddenly, a gruff sound broke the sublime peace. I hadn’t realised that the wolf was no longer with me.

The space wasn’t very big but the books had made an entire quite a complex maze. As a navigated, I heard a soft but rough voice, mixed with the whining noise of what I suspected was my guide animal.

At the end of the book maze, I was welcomed to a sight of a strange but nostalgic sight.

A ‘man’ with big silver eyes, long white hair, pale skin and funny shaped ears looked back at me. He looked young, maybe early twenties. The wolf was seated next to him, licking his face and fussing over his badly bandaged leg.  

I then remembered I was holding a gun and pointed it at him.

“Wow, what a way to greet someone who’s injured and unarmoured”, he said keeping eyes on me.

There was something about him that made me nervous and I hated every minute of it.

“You are definitely not human!” I responded sharply. “Who are you? What do you want?”

“Thank you, for bringing her here, Mina”, he said as he petted the wolf’s head.

Mina sat down and then looked at me quietly.

“I’m sorry for the untidy welcome but if you could have a seat, I had more than happy to explain myself to you.”

“I don’t think so”, I answered.

“Fine, whatever pleases you”, he said. “You are as strong willed as you were in my vision.”

“Vision?” I asked suspiciously.

“First things first, I not going to hurt you. Secondly, you are right. I’m not human. I’m a friend not the enemy. What I have to tell you is very important and my help to save your planet.”

I blinked. This guy could be lying and yet he has an honest face. Do I really have to take his word for it?

“You did follow Mina to this dimension”, he added.

“How did you meet mina?” I asked.

“Three years ago, I teleported here on Earth by chance. Unfortunately, I was discovered by the invaders so escaped to Europe, hiding in caves, underground bunkers and such. Then I came across a wolf den with only a pup, Mina. I suspected her parents were killed and so I took her along with me.”

Hear him tell his tale about his meeting with mina almost made me lower my weapon.

Mina seems to trust him. She brought me here for a reason and I want to know why.

“You mentioned earlier that there is something important you wanted to tell me?” I asked

“Yes”, he replied. 

“Why would you want to help me?”

“Because I want to…” he said calmly.

“You are weird…and I still don’t trust you”, I said after a while. “I think you are hiding a lot of information from me despite your noble intensions.”

“My, my, I can’t even pull wool over eyes, can I?” he responded with coolly smile. “But my intensions are real. I mean you and the rest of mankind no ill will.

After some careful consideration, I finally lowered my weapon, sat down on the ground with my legs crossed.

“Fine…” I said. “I will listen to what you have to say. But you have tell me everything.”  

His face flushed bright blue and was lit with surprise.

“Well, I…I can’t possibly tell you everything at once”, he responded to my demand.

I folded my arms and frowned even more.

“All in due time…?” he kind of asked.

“Alright”, I answered. “At least tell me your name.”

“It’s Zin. Yours?”

“Tammy.”

THE END.

September 25, 2020 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.