0 comments

General

There are some things that's so terrifying you not only hide from the world but from yourself. We were teenagers things were not supposed to happen that way, tears fell from my eyes as I sat beside my therapist. Take your time Angel we have about an hour left said Mrs Smith as she gently patted my back. I slowly began speaking again through hiccups and sobs. It was the hottest Summer that year we had just graduated Miranda and I headed for the beach to join the rest of our friends thinking we had our whole life ahead of us. We were drunk off our asses as the party dyed down and people started leaving. Soon it was just us and our boyfriend's who thought it would be fun to go streaking in the water, us being the fun crazy girls we agreed to do it. Our world as we knew it would come crumbling down forever as the Angel of death swept over us that night. Holding hands we ran into the water naked having the times of our lives splashing water on each other and laughing………...It happened so fast the tide came out of know we're sucking Miranda under. We tried to grab her but the water was to slippery in the tide was to strong for our little bodies. Just like that my best friend was gone forever. I stayed in that town long enough to get through the funeral and promised myself to never return. Angel sweety can you hear me? my therapist was speaking to me but my mind had gone back to that awful day. Snapping back into reality we decided to finish this conversation at my next appointment. The rain poured down hard pounding my 1 bedroom apartment, this was my life now. 10 years I been away but that was about to come to an end as my cell phone started ringing startling me. It's mother Angel me and your father's 50th Anniversary is Saturday in we want our only daughter there we will not be taking no for an answer. My mother was laying it on thick not wanting to argue I agreed in hung up the phone. That night I cried myself to sleep, my plane was set to leave in 30 min. I popped my Zoloft  and downed the cheap champagne they offered us….. Waking up 5 hours later my plane was finally landing, as I got up my feet felt like glue trying to pry themselves off the ground. My cab pulled up to the place I once called home, slipping through the back door so I wouldn't get noticed. I quietly crept up the stairs to my parents room…. There she was as beautiful as I remember hello mother. Getting up from her bed she held me in her arms for what seemed like forever. Holding her hand like a child we walked down the stairs to the front, all eyes were on me as I figured. His Hazel Brown eyes were as I remember we locked eyes for a min. After the party was over I tried to hurry out but there he was blocking my way. Going so soon Derrick asked? I smiled and gave my ex boyfriend a hug, just trying to get away from all the uncomfortable stares I replied! Would you be willing to come to lunch tomorrow if you're still in town he asked? Clueless of what to say I went with why the hell not we can meet at our old stomping grounds, the little bubble cafe. Tired and worn out my father drove me to the hotel where I was staying. Listen Angel me and your mother are so grateful to have you here even if it's just for a couple of days. It's been way to long I said, giving my father a kiss on the cheek as I got out of the car. Waking up at 9 I was exhausted, tossing in turning all night she was there in my dream like many other tortured nights. Struggling to get out of bed I pushed myself to get ready to meet Derrick, maybe an old friend was just what I needed. He pulled up in a Police car my face in pure shock I got out of the cab to cross the street to meet him. You're looking beautiful as ever he replied as I approached him…. Thank you I replied as my cheeks started turning red, awww that's so cute I can still make you blush. All right casanova let's go in, our old table was empty so we sat there. The young waitress quickly came to the table to get our order, hey sheriff what can I get you she said. Nothing has changed the women were still smitten over Derrick and I can see why he was always handsome and sweet. We picked up like 10 years didn't pass us by so do you ever think about that night because I do almost every night. Tears fell from my eyes as my mind went back to graduation night we were so young and ready to face the world. I looked for you everywhere only to find out by your parents that you moved out of State. The younger me couldn't grasp you leaving me but the older me completely understand. We talked for hours about everything he was always so easy to talk to, time caught us off guard and we could have cared less. We were friends and it showed he made things so easier I was going to have to stop paying my therapist because his conversation made me feel I could face anything. He walked me to the cab giving me a big hug let's not allow 10 more years to go by miss Angel. I smiled giving him a nod you got it Mr. Sheriff and just like that his friendship was all I needed to get me through my days. I rode off into the sunset with a smile on my face.

May 05, 2020 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.