1 comment

Adventure Drama Fiction

Keep Digging

Hasan and his men had dug three wells, each proving to be a worthy endeavor. Each well could produce enough water for a whole village for many years. However, there were more than a few problems that arose.

First, the villagers began to quarrel over the water, and different ones claimed possession of the well even though it was on land that belonged to Hasan’s family and he and his men had dug it. Then there were the frequent droughts that brought stragglers from nearby villages, nomads, and the occasional sojourner. 

Soon, Hasan and his family relocated to other ancestral lands. They dug another well and felt like they had found a place with no strife and no villagers drinking up their water. They had flocks, herds, and one hundred people. That was the number of relatives, servants, and friends that Hasan called his people.

So, they all settled into a nice pastoral life, and after enjoying a few good years, a prolonged drought occurred that caused many people to seek water. Streams dried up, cattle died, and people began migrating to look for water. Then a group came to Hasan requesting to water their flocks as there was no water for many miles. So, Babar, Ruel, and Isham all put men to work digging new wells. 

Each attempt failed, and soon Hasan was forced to devise a new plan. Many people depended on him for water and food, and while his sons continued digging, he felt it was his responsibility to find water. 

“I hear there’s plenty of water at Springtown,” Marcash announced.

“Yeah, that’s where we are headed,” said Arat.

“Well, maybe I need to go there and bring some back.” “I heard they were only allowing so many people in,” said Hasan.

“My family can’t make it here, so we are leaving for Springtown or Hydrant City,” said Krigi.

The discussions continued, and Hasan looked at Fatima and said, “We have to move on again or stand and keep digging.” “In the meantime, I am going to Springtown and try to bring some water back.”

“But, Springtown is over a twelve-hour journey by foot, and pulling a wagon will take longer.” “Darling, I’m afraid we don’t have that long,” said Fatima.

“Babar, will you come with me and help me get some water from Springtown?”

“Sure, but I think mom is right,” said Babar.

Reul stepped and said, “I will go.” “You need to be with our people, father.”

Hasan decided to let all three sons go to Springtown and each take a wagon. However, something would have to be done for long-term sustainability. Hasan would continue rationing their water. It wouldn’t last long since people passed their encampment on their way to Springtown.

#####

“Whew, it’s stinking hot, and we are only halfway there,” said Babar.

“I am just about out of drinking water for the donkey and me,” said Isham.

“Stop complaining.” “Your talking wastes moisture.” “You need to conserve every drop.” “We will be in Springtown sooner than you think,” said Ruel.

“I am starving, and I need a bathroom.” “We need to stop,” said Babar.

The three brothers passed groups of people scattered along the road struggling to get to Springtown. Many were already weak and famished. They could only afford to allow one donkey to go on the trip, so Ruel and Babar drew the short straw and pulled their own wagons. They were hoping to buy a couple of donkeys for the journey back.

The day grew hotter, and there was no relief in sight. There was not a cloud, nor a breeze a stirring. The brothers began to quarrel when Babar saw a line of people out on the highway.

“What do you think that is,” asked Isham.

“It looks like Springtown is the happening scene,” Ruel added.

Babar began yelling and cursing and finally said, “I am going on to Etchtoohville.” “It’s only an hour more, and nobody will be there.”

“But, Babar, we need to stick together, and perhaps the lines will move fast,” said Isham.

“Easy for you to say since you have the only donkey.”

Suddenly a man came riding up, hit his donkey with a stick, and said, “Go to Hydrant city.” “They have plenty of water and plenty of workers.”

The three brothers looked at each other, and Ruel said, “Why don’t you go to Hydrant City or Etchtoohville, Isham, or give us the donkey?”

“I thought we were staying together.”

“Hey, mister.” “How much will you sell the donkey for?” “I’ll make you a good offer,” said Babar.

“She’s not for sale.” 

“Where are you headed, and where are you from?” asked Isham. 

“I work for the watermaster.”

“Who?” asked Babar.

“You know the guy going around buying up everyone’s water.” “He owns all the water for one hundred miles.”

Ruel and Isham aren’t buying his story, so they force him down from his donkey when some men arrive on the scene and help the stranger. Babar grabs Isham's wagon and starts working his way toward Hydrant City. Unfortunately, Isham and Reul are too involved in the skirmish to notice.

“Get away from the Watermaster,” said one of the men.

“Yeah, if you want water, be nice to him.” “He owns all of it,” said another in the crowd.

“There goes your donkey,” said the stranger.

Finally, Ruel has had enough and throws some of the men down, and Isham takes his staff and beats some more off of his brother. They grabbed the man everyone was calling the watermaster and pulled him down.

“It seems you’ve lost your donkey too,” said Isham.

“Now, I told him we’d give him a good offer.” “How about we don’t turn you in to the governor for impersonating an officer of the crown,” said Ruel.

“There, that seems fair,” said Isham. “There is no watermaster, and you will do good to stop telling lies.” “I bet there is none in Hydrant City, and my brother just went on a needless journey.”

The stranger gets up, brushes the dust off, shakes his head to clear it up, and says, “Well, stand in that line if you like, but don’t go to Springtown because it’s all out of water.” Depleted.”

“Yeah, depleted.” “That’s right,” said another of the mob.

“If you go and stand in that line, you will be here well into the night.” “Say, how you gonna pay for a wagon load of water?” asked the stranger.

“None of your business.” “say, what’s your name, anyway?” asked Ruel.

“Oh, well, I go by many names.” “Draco Drybones at your service.”

Drybones stood back with the dust and sweat beading on his face. “You are wanted in ten villages for theft or robbery,” said Ruel.

“I am no thief.” “I just made an offer, and people gave me their goods.” “I forgot to pay and never went back.”

“No, you are a con man, and that is what is going here,” said Isham.

Draco cowers back and walks the opposite way. Ruel has his donkey, and Isham is left fending off the mob. The two brothers hitch the donkey to Isham’s wagon and proceed to the line when a man walks up to them with a pen and paper. They look beyond the hill and notice there is another long line.

“Your names please,” said the man.

“Who are you?” asked Ruel.

“I am the census man.” “I determine who gets water or not.” “Your name?”

“Ruel and Isham, sons of Hasan the good digger,” said Ruel.

“Ha ha ha, the well digger's sons have come seeking water!” “Ok, I get it.” “We are all in this together.” “It will be tomorrow before we can begin issuing fresh water.” “Someone contaminated that last batch.”

“Tomorrow?” “Where does it come from,” asked Isham. “From the Bountiful Lake.” “A man named Draco figured out how to get it here.” “Our springs have been dried up for some time now.”

“Draco?” “We just saw him,” said Isham.

“Yeah, he tried a con job and is only still alive because he is smart and helps us from time to time.”

Ruel and Isham look at each other, and Ruel decides to move on to Etchtoolville.”

Isham is going to stay put. He is tired and weary and already dreading the journey home. Besides, he is single, and perhaps he might meet a young woman to take home as a bride. His ancestors often found brides at wells or great deposits of water.

####

The night wore on and daylight came unexpectedly as Babar found himself overwhelmed with the situation. The donkey could go no further. He was just outside of Hydrant City when the noise of thundering hooves aroused him. It was troops from the governor sent to clear Hydrant City and bring order. 

“What are you doing here? asked the captain.

“Like everyone else looking for water,” replied Babar.

“There is no water.” “Hydrant City is a ghost town.” “No one is allowed in, and we were sent to clear the roads.” “Turn around or we will arrest you.”

Babar started walking toward Springtown when the captain tapped him on the soldier and said, “We are headed to Springtown to brake up some violence.” “We have reports of riots and several people killed.”

“Thanks.” “My brother is there with a wagon.”

The soldiers hooked up Babar’s wagon, and he hopped into the back. The trip took several hours, and when they arrived, there was one line but no sight of Isham. 

Babar asks one of the line attendants what happened to the man with a wagon. He didn’t know that Isham had ‘acquired’ a donkey. There were only forty or fifty people in line.

“Sir, they used the wagon for firewood to cook.” “He left walking toward the south,” said one of the attendants.

“Do you have any water?” “Should I bother waiting in line?” asked Babar.

“We have enough for half a day until the reserves come up,” said another worker.

Babar unhitches his wagon and gets in line. He waits for several hours and finally arrives at the water tank. 

“Sorry, we can’t fill a whole cart.” “We are rationing water again.” 

“But, I have a whole village, several families depend on me to bring back enough water to supply their needs,” said Babar.

“We can only give you enough for one family,” said the attendant.

“Fine, give what you can.” “How much?” said Babar while searching his pockets for credits to pay.

“Twenty-five shillings, sir, and you will have to load it.”

“I only have fifteen, and I need a drink.”

“Then get fifteen schillings worth, including a drink for yourself, and be on.”

Babar pays the man and gets his rations, and turns to head home. The sky suddenly grew dark as if a storm were brewing. Then he looks up, and coming from Etchtoovile is Reul with a young lad and a small horse pulling his cart.

“What happened to you?” Babar asked.

“Oh, I never made it, Etchtooville.” “I found this little fella with his pony.” “Bands of travelers passed me telling me horrible stories of how they were robbed, cheated, or tricked.” “The river is dry, and everyone’s well has run dry in Etchtooville.”

“Well, I got this little bit, but I’m afraid it will only last a few hours.” “It will not be enough.” “I was told that they used Isham’s wagon for firewood, and he left for home.”

The two brothers start toward home with some water. They are starving, thirty, and extremely weak. Reul decided not to wait on the water in Springtown since they were almost out. They approached a village called Dry Well. 

“Have you seen a man wearing a brown head wrap and white, dusty robe pass through here?” asked Babar.

“Oh, yeah, that man was down on his luck,” said Oshlag. “He is actually here.” “We gave him some water and fed him.” “He told us about Springtown.” “Are you his brothers?” He offers them a drink of water and takes them to Isham, who is parched. They remain there for the rest of the day. The next morning they collect their brother and offer to pay and are told it’s ok, not to worry. But, they ask that they tell no one that Dry Well has become a spring, an oasis in a drought. They proceed toward their home and finally see their flocks grazing in the distance.

###

Hasan looks up to see the three approaching. The workers had stopped digging. Everyone gathers to see what the brothers have. Then Hasan waves his hat repeatedly when Reul and Babar collapse. Some women rush to help.

“Is that all of the water you brought?” asked Hasan.

“That’s all we could get.” “But we got most from Dry Well as the other towns were dried up or on severe rations.”

“That’s ok.” “We are glad and thankful for what you have.” 

“What’s all of the excitement about?” asked Isham.

“Oh, right after you all left, the first crew found water.” “Then the next day, another crew struck a deep well.” “Finally, as you approached, the final crew hit water.” “Now we have three working wells.” “It seems I sent you on an unnecessary trip, my sons.” “If we had just kept digging, we would have hit water, but who would have known?

August 26, 2022 16:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Karen McDermott
11:31 Sep 01, 2022

Loved the name 'Draco Drybones'!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.