0 comments

Romance

   “It’s only a practice date,” her friend Connie’s voice echoed through her mind as she brushed out her long, brown hair. At Connie’s insistence, it had been newly tinted ‘kiss of mahogany’ whatever that was supposed to mean. But it was lush and made her slightly drab brown hair take on a new shine.

    What’s a practice date?” Hanna, Honey to her friends, had asked rather naively. “Remember I’ve spent twenty eight years out of the dating scene.”

    “Well, this is your first dip-your-toes in the water date. No expectations, no obligations AND no fighting him off at the end of the date.”

    One year since she’d moved into the efficiency apartment on the North End. The only apartment on the north side that offered month-to-month rent since she hadn’t planned to stay more than a the few months that she thought it would take for her straying husband to come crawling back to her.

    Honey looked in the mirror, studying her reflection. Did she want to use eye liner on her deep brown eyes? Bob had compared them to chocolate the many years ago, back when they were first in love. What did he call the new woman’s eyes? Their mutual friends told her they were blue.

    One year since she’d met Donna at the bus stop. Donna, who spotted a lost soul and began to chat, a bit at a time, winning her confidence. It was Donna who took her to the north end bar on a Friday night and introduced her to some of the locals. 

A beefy man with a literal swagger walked into the bar. “Ignore him,” Donna stage whispered over the sound of the juke box. “Do not talk to him or acknowledge his presence.” It turned out that he was the local drug dealer.

    “It’s only a practice date,” Edward heard Donna’s voice echoing in mind as he shaved. “She’s just ready to start dating again. She just doesn’t know it yet. So I told her I’d set you up on a practice date. I told her no expectations and no obligations. And I know you will treat her like a perfect gentleman.”

    “More like an imperfect gentleman,” he grumbled. But he knew Donna would be able to tell he was joking.

    He pulled back his long, grey hair into a pony tail then started plaiting it into a braid.

    What have I gotten myself into? He thought as he held up a plain, black t-shirt, a t-shirt featuring the cartoon character that Donna told him she liked or did he want to go with the pin striped button up? Brunch and a movie, that meant he could be anything. He decided on the cartoon on blue background. It would give them an ice breaker, at least.

    He’d agreed as a favor to Donna. He owed her one. Actually, he owed her several favors. What could one more date hurt? Only his self-esteem and maybe his prospects for lasting happiness. He told himself not to be melodramatic.

************************************************************

Honey had spoken to him once, to set up the date, time and place. Brunch and a movie seemed a safe bet.

His voice had been friendly, curious. He told her how he like anime and space as well as the usual long walks on the beach. He assured her that his dog would be happy to take her with him for his beach walks.

************************************************************

Edward, call me Eddy, had talked to her on the phone. Her voice was sweet but barely masking fear, confusion and desperation of a first time in a long time date.

Donna hadn’t been exaggerating when she said that her friend was “pretty enough.” She had a curvy body and a sweet smile in the picture she shown him.

    He tossed his dog a chewy and told him he’d be back soon. Hopefully in time to hit the beach with his canine companion.

*******************************************************

Honey, still didn’t have a car, hopped onto the same bus she caught to work. This time, she got off at the local shopping plaza. There was, contrary to stereotype, a good café with a well recommended breakfast buffet.

Honey wiped her sweaty palms on her cotton skirt. She pulled at her beige button front shirt down as a nervous habit. Walking across the parking lot, she was glad she’d chosen to go with the perky summer sandals, rather than the high heels she’d bought when she thought about dating.

************************************************************

Eddy turned off the car and took a few calming breaths. He glanced in the rear view mirror for a final check. Hair neat, just a thin mustache, amber brown eyes peering out from behind wire-rimmed frames.

He considered starting the car, pulling out of the parking lot and…and what? Having to make up some excuse? Looking the fool in front of one of his few friends?

He made himself take some calming breaths, popped a breath mint into his mouth and slowly got out of the car.

He thought about what had gotten him to this point? Not one, but two failed marriages made him so afraid to try dating again. He’d go out on a date or two, then find some fault in the woman so he wouldn’t call again. Some of the women managed to remain friends. He’d let them down so kindly, their egos were barely bruised.

He supposed that made him the perfect candidate for this scheme of Donna’s and trying to get someone ready to date again.

He watched as she walked into the café. Green scarf that was the signal to know for sure it was her.

Donna must have under stated, de-exaggerated, miss- described, whatever word that was. She was beautiful. Her hair caught the light in the doorway and it seemed to shine. Her curves were all in the right places and her clothes were understated but fashionable.

************************************************************

Honey noticed him right away, sitting just inside the door. A duck cartoon on his shirt, her favorite. He was even better looking than Donna described.

He stood up as she came to the table. He gets points for manners, she thought.

She took a deep breath, walked up to the table and held out her hand. 

“You must be Eddy.”

“Nope, not Eddy, Duckworth the Worthy Duck at your service.” He sputtered out the words in perfect imitation of the cartoon voice.

Donna did a double take. Then she burst out laughing. When her giggles tapered off and she could breathe enough to get air into her lungs again, she asked, “Do ducks have practice dates?”

“I dunno, Sweet Feather,” he still used the false voice. “Do ducks have well-meaning friends named Donna?”

“Well, um…Sweet Feathers, let’s compare notes and see if they do.”

Honey slid into the booth across from him and into the start of the next phase of her life.

August 24, 2020 15:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.