Contest #176 shortlist ⭐️

A Letter From Mosby

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Write a story told from the point of view of an animal.... view prompt

52 comments

Friendship Creative Nonfiction Indigenous

To Whom It May Concern,



My name is Mosby and I’m a dog—or more specifically—I am a miniature schnauzer and I need your help. I’ve never written a letter before. In fact, I don’t know if any dog has ever written a letter before, but you see, this is very important so I hope you'll understand.


Before I go into specifics, I guess I should tell you a little about myself. I was born in 2011, two days before Halloween, on a farm in central Virginia. I don’t remember much about the farm because that was a long time ago and I was really young at the time. What I do remember is I was part of a litter of three. I have a brother who is salt and pepper. He was adopted after me so I don't know much about what happened to him. I also have a sister who is pure white, and she never lets me forget it. Then there's me. I’m what they call “black and silver," and as far as miniature schnauzers go, I'm the most regal.


When I was little, though, I was kind of rambunctious. 


I don’t know how much you know about adopting people, but there are a lot of rules you are supposed to follow. You have to wait until your eyes are open, your socialization skills have matured a bit, and—most of all—you have to be at least eight weeks old. Now I know all that stuff is important, but when the right human comes along—you cant dilly dally. You have to act quickly. 


That’s what happened when I met my dad. 


I was just over seven weeks old at the time, so I wasn’t really expecting to find my person. But when he walked in, I could tell he needed a friend. 


He had just lost his dog, another miniature schnauzer named Pepper, but he had come to see my sister—you remember her? She was white as snow, but to him she looked just like Salt. I understood the connection, and I was all for bringing my sister along with me, but I needed to make sure this man knew he was supposed to be my dad. 


When he finally sat down to play with my sister, I kept jumping in his lap. When he stood back up again, I followed him around the pen. When I thought I had lost his attention, I barked and barked and barked until he reached down and picked me up. 


Now it’s not something that happens every time between a human and a dog, but if the connection is right, when you look at each other, right in the eyes, you know when you’ve found the one and this was my dad. Apparently he knew he had found his dog also, so he wrote out a check, took me out to the car, and brought me to my new home.  


Oh by the way, my sister came along too. 


The thing about humans is, no matter how many times they have been adopted, they still have to be trained. They need to know that cleaning up pee and poop isn’t a chore—it’s a bonding experience. Most people don’t realize that the time you really fall in love with your new dog happens in the middle of the night. The two of you have been in and out almost every hour since bedtime, and just when your human is about to lose it, you poop in the grass. I don’t know if there is a more special time for a human, but I’m here to tell you when you see the smile on your dad’s face and hear him call you a good boy, it means the world to a dog. It’s why we lick faces—we want to show you in the best way we know how that there is not a purer love than the one between a dog and his human. It’s why a man is called a dog’s best friend.


The next seven years went by like a blur. Salt acted like the queen of the house but I know that my dad and I had a special bond. Most mornings he would pet me on the head and go off to a place he called work. I don’t think he liked that place. I’m not sure how I knew. Let’s just call it doggie’s intuition, but each night when he came home, I would run to meet him and jump into his arms. He might have had a bad day, but I wanted him to know I had been waiting all day for him to come home so I could lick his face. He pretended he didn’t like it, but he would always laugh. By the time he put me down, he was smiling. I love to see my dad smile.


Well, this brings me to the point of my letter. About five months ago I started to notice a change. I was thirsty all the time and I couldn’t see quite as well as I had when I was a pup. My dad noticed this also, and he took me to the veterinarian to see what was wrong. I didn’t really understand what it meant when the doctor told him I had diabetes. I just know when we got back in the car he cried a little. When we got home, he fed me and then he gave me a shot. He kept telling me how sorry he was, but the only thing I was sorry about was that I couldn’t tell him it was okay. I knew he was doing those things to help me. He was doing them because he loved me. I licked his face when he was done, and I hope he understood why.


A few days ago, for the first time in a long while, I didn’t feel well enough to eat my food. I know this scared him because I had to eat so he could give me my shot. He took me to the vet who told him I had pancreatitis. I knew it was serious because I felt so sick and because he rushed me to the hospital. I’ve been here for the last four days, and I hurt all the time. I don’t want to leave him alone, but I don’t think I can take the pain much longer. I need his help. He loves me so much he won’t let me suffer. 


That’s the favor I'm asking for. I need you to tell him I said it’s okay, and I don’t blame him, I love him. Tell him I wouldn’t have changed a thing about our time together. He made every day perfect, from that first day on the farm to today—my last day. Also please tell him it’s okay for a new dog to adopt him. I won’t be jealous—I just want him to be happy. 


Please do this for me because I can’t talk.


Thanks so much,


Mosby

December 17, 2022 04:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Liv Chocolate
09:07 Dec 18, 2022

Thom—you captured the purity of a dog’s mind so perfectly. I was wondering if this was autobiographical because it sounded so real and palpable. Anyone who’s had a dog or even who’s never had a dog will understand immediately.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:34 Dec 18, 2022

This was definitely autobiographical. My current picture is of me and Mosby. Most of the time when I think of him I smile. Sometimes I cry but it’s a good cry. Thanks you so much for your kind comment.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:48 Dec 18, 2022

What a cute puppy 🥹 a lovely tribute this story was to him

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hello, Thom. Congratulations on the shortlist! I’m so happy for you. It can be hard to share something so personal, and it's wonderful that you channeled it into such a sweet story. The way you wrote Mosby's voice is so funny, and I pick up an exuberant, cheerful, self-assured personality. Small dogs are often like that in my experience, thinking they can take on the world. But Mosby didn't want that kind of thing, just your love and attention. [To Whom It May Concern] reminds me of Snoopy's writing, and made me laugh. Thank you for ...

Reply

Thom With An H
21:43 Dec 23, 2022

Guadalupe, you did it. You made me laugh and cry but mostly smile. This may be one of may favorite comments of all time and I commit to you to share your good wishes with my puppies. I'm sure they will be as happy as I am to hear it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
16:52 Dec 23, 2022

Congratulations, Thom! This was such a sweet story. ❤️

Reply

Thom With An H
16:54 Dec 23, 2022

And to you too. You are becoming a shortlist machine. A win has to happen soon.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:11 Dec 23, 2022

A win would be nice but it's not why I write. This community is so much more valuable than a win. But...that being said...I will be celebrating this tonight. Hope you do too! 🎉

Reply

Thom With An H
17:14 Dec 23, 2022

So true. I still want you to win though. You are one of my favorite writers.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:22 Dec 23, 2022

You are too kind, Thom, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
16:23 Dec 18, 2022

Whew 😢 losing a pet is one of the hardest things in life. Animals are so pure and kind, and you demonstrated in Mosby's letter, that losing them just hits in a uniquely torturous way. I do believe animals pick us, and they love us so unconditionally. It really is, as you say, a pure love. And if there was ever a perfect approach to this prompt, it is this. We all want to know what our dog is thinking; my husband and I always put words in my dog's mouth, lol. I read below about the loss of your Mosby. I'm so sorry but I'm glad you were able...

Reply

Thom With An H
18:33 Dec 18, 2022

Thanks so much. It was nice to bring him back to life for a while by introducing him to new people. I hope it also helps others who miss their friends.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:26 Dec 18, 2022

Absolutely. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:07 Jan 11, 2023

Anything about the loss of a pet absolutely guts me, but this was so well done, Thom.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Mustang Patty
23:25 Dec 17, 2022

Tears run down . . . did you lose your puppy??? I'm going to hug my dogs now. ~patty~

Reply

Thom With An H
23:45 Dec 17, 2022

I lost Mosby Halloween day 2020. This is what I hope he was thinking. Salt is still going strong and Milo has fulfilled Mosby’s wish. I cried lake a baby writing this one.

Reply

Mustang Patty
13:04 Dec 20, 2022

Oh, Thom. . . Losing a beloved pet is one of those things that non-pet owners can never understand. Our relationships with these furry creatures go beyond our ties to anyone else. What a wonderful tribute you've penned to your friend, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
04:35 Dec 17, 2022

:) :) :) :) :((((((

Reply

Thom With An H
23:15 Dec 17, 2022

I know right.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:42 Dec 18, 2022

Well, you already used all the best words in exactly the best way. As always. :) Most excellent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gabriela Wels
00:20 Feb 25, 2023

Don't make me cry! Ok, you can- this story is so innocent and lovely. I love Mosby already.

Reply

Thom With An H
00:28 Feb 25, 2023

Mosby was such a good dog. He was every bit as good as the story makes him seem. Thank you for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
15:24 Jan 10, 2023

Oh gosh, Thom. This one left me in tears. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Reply

Thom With An H
16:03 Jan 10, 2023

This was a labor of love to write. Mosby was such a good dog. He’s been gone for more than two years and he still makes me tear up when I remember him. We did get a new Schnauzer puppy named Milo and he brings us such joy. Salt is also still going strong. That little girl is a tank.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
18:51 Dec 23, 2022

So glad Mosby dictated this touching story to you and that you had a chance to relive the love you've felt. Truth be told, between babies and puppies, I often wonder who is really in charge. Lovely, well-written story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
16:34 Dec 23, 2022

Boom. There it is. Clapping

Reply

Thom With An H
16:35 Dec 23, 2022

Thanks Tommy. From me and for Mosby.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:08 Dec 23, 2022

Devastatingly beautiful and pure. That's love for you. And I loved this story. (and I really love your profile picture!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
17:51 Dec 22, 2022

I love this story Thom. It’s so beautifully crafted. I love the way the dog calls him dad. The relationship between humans and their dogs is deeply meaningful and the sense of loss is overwhelming. You get that across so well in the letter. Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frederick Allan
08:34 Dec 22, 2022

Nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
20:32 Dec 21, 2022

How could you do that to me. So good. I have something in my eye. I have 2 small best friends now and lost one after 15 years, a little more than 2 years ago. I would love to tell everyone to read this story but don't want to make them cry. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katy B
03:47 Dec 21, 2022

So sweet, and the perfect voice for a goober-y pet. My favorite line was "Most people don’t realize that the time you really fall in love with your new dog happens in the middle of the night" -- a truly profound sentiment. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Robert
23:39 Dec 20, 2022

Greetings to everyone reading this testimony. I was rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kids home and moved in with the lady . one day I was reading articles about spell casters , I clicked this youtube link https://youtu.be/kBvs5nQcjWo and read how Dr Jumba helped a woman to get back her lover within 24 hours and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me not to worry he will help me bring back my husband and make him love me forever. I belie...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edward Latham
23:40 Dec 19, 2022

So sad to hear about Mosby, but thank you for sharing this story with us Thom, it was heartbreaking!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
18:52 Dec 19, 2022

Dogs are like toddlers: just as cute and just as needy. I'm four years in to raising my rescue dog and he reminds me of my kids when young: adoring, in need of guidance...I'm not looking forward to getting to the stage you detail, poor Mosby.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:27 Dec 24, 2022

Congrats Thom. I'm sure there's bubbly in the house for the holidays, so toast the early gift of the shortlist too. Might as well, it's Christmas! Have a great one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Friendly Dragon
13:28 Apr 13, 2023

so sweet yet puppyish

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lisa Delgado
21:08 Mar 25, 2023

I love this story. It's sad, but the reality of such love and companionship is something we can hold on to forever from our pets. Pets are great teachers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.